The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Working on an LBT Game

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well, I've started working on a 3d LBT game.  Of course, this is just a very basic start.  I haven't used any models I've made from scratch, however I will eventually make my own models using some sort of 3d rendering program.  I'm not that interested in playing games, but I find making them to be rather fun.  You may view my current progress by downloading the file called LBT Test Game.exe on my server.  You may follow this link:

http://67.171.50.184:8081/Universal%20Upload%20Folder/

If I can just make my own 3D models of the gang, I can easily make this game a reality.  Creating the characters is the hard part though.  I must say it's progressing rather slowly.

ADVICE:  Try to vary speed and altitude when running from the fast biters.  When fighting the sharptooth, just keep firing regardless of how low your health is.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm going to check it out, downloading now.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I just got a new 3D modeling program which is much more sophisticated that Silo (the program pictured above).  Maybe I'll be able to use it to make 3D models of the gang.  I'll try on the bus while I'm heading to school this morning. :yes

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good luck Austin. Nice start of creating a game :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No, I don't think so.  I don't even know how to RP #1 and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable setting up something like that over my server.  That'd take A LOT of bandwidth.  Not that I'm limited or anything, but I want to be able to use my connection as well if ya know what I mean.

Loofah

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Ok, I had tryed your testversion. But when I start the Game i only have a blackscreen and a green Sky! And a few sounds when i shot. :o

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ok, I had tryed your testversion. But when I start the Game i only have a blackscreen and a green Sky! And a few sounds when i shot.

I should've mentioned this earlier.  Unless you've got at least a 2ghz processor and a gig of ram, forget about playing this game.  I haven't compressed or optimized this game yet so it's requirements are pretty insane.  Also, I recommend you have at least directX9.

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
Ouch...  I'll try it, but...  I don't have a computer as powerful as that...!

See, about RPGs...  I think, when many of us think about RPGs, we think of games like Final Fantasy 1-10, or, uhh, let's see...  Secret of Mana; Chrono Trigger, etc.  And, not MMORPGs like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy 11...  But, yeah, it could still take up bandwidth I guess, if the game were large enough...

But, GREAT!  I've played the GBA LBT games, and I think they're okay...  But, the PlayStation ones?  Oh man...  Sorry, but I think that the PlayStation LBT games, give LBT a bad name...  ...What were those companies thinking?

Best wishes to you, landbeforetimelover!  I'll still probably download this...  Who knows?  I may be able to play it someday...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd love to get an RPG going that promotes the community aspect as well.  I just can't see it being a possibility, considering the sheer amount of work involved.

I have made multiple attempts, both alone and collaborating with others, designing games.  My programming skills just aren't strong enough to get any decent results, nor do I have the amount of time it takes to develop a game.  It's unbelieveable, how long it takes to design a decent game.

think, when many of us think about RPGs, we think of games like Final Fantasy 1-10, or, uhh, let's see... Secret of Mana; Chrono Trigger, etc.
While this could work as an LBT game (and probably the easiest-to-program game genre in the world), I admit I am not hugely interested in developing a single-player game.  If anyone is up to the task, I would very much welcome it and would be willing to help out as needed, I would just be more likely to develop a game with a multiplayer aspect to it, as that is what I value most from so many games: the social atmosphere.

MMORPGs like World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy 11... But, yeah, it could still take up bandwidth I guess, if the game were large enough...
I'd LOVE to get an LBT MMO going (I started working on one and I have some very developed ideas for such a game, but I ran into collision issues and countless technical problems) but I just don't see how we would ever have enough time to develop one.  I may be taking a 3d modelling course in the near future (for work) but if this knowledge can ever be applied to game design, I'm more than willing to help.

No game-making tool in the world can do what I am visioning for such an LBT game project...The problem is that I lack the programming ability and the time to develop such a game from scratch.
3D Game Maker is too limited for developing complex multiplayer RPGs, unless I'm very mistaken.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There have been several attempts at creating an LBT game some of which got so far that some screenshots were available already, but so for no LBT fan-game has been finished. But this need not frighten anyone away from trying to be the first one to finish one. I guess it is almost impossible to create such a game all by yourself, but I guess that many are very willing to help. Do you have any thoughts about a plot for the game? Will there be one central plot at all or will it be more like solving many small tasks without one central plot?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
will it be more like solving many small tasks without one central plot?
That's more of what I was going for: the creation of an LBT world with countless adventures to be had within it, where the player can choose their own development through the world.  In short: give the players a Huge world based on as much LBT-accurate locations and geography as we can figure out, which the players can explore either alone or as a group and complete the emmense variety of challenges and tasks spread throughout the world.

Maybe nobody really shares this vision of what an LBT game is, but this is what I would like to see in an LBT game.

I think what complicates game development the most for me is that I want something that's *really good*.  I could probably sit down and design some simple, uninteresting RPG and call it "the first completed LBT fan game ever" but is there really any value to such a project?  I'm the kind of person who, if I sit down to develop a project, I want it to really be worthwhile.  Sometimes I may reach too far, I know.  I can get a little over-ambitious. :p  I just have a hard time putting hard work and effort into a small, relatively uninteresting project which will have little life and value shortly after.

That being said:
Great work so far, LBTlover!  I just hope 3D Game Maker can get you the results you're looking for.  My previous comments are NOT directed at your game project, please don't misunderstand me.  I'm very happy with what you're doing and I hope it develops into something awesome!  Don't let my ideas get in the way of yours. :)

If you're looking for wicked flexibility for game design, you may want to check out DarkBASIC Professional.
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/

I'm downloading the C++ development kit for DarkBASIC right now (it's actually free off the site I linked you above) and I might mess around with that if I have time.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: NeptuneNavigator2001,May 17 2008 on  07:15 AM
See, about RPGs...  I think, when many of us think about RPGs, we think of games like Final Fantasy 1-10, or, uhh, let's see...  Secret of Mana; Chrono Trigger, etc.
That's called jRPG(Japanese RPG). The more common view on the RPG genre on the PC platform is Diablo and Morrowind, i guess.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
3D Game Maker is too limited for developing complex multiplayer RPGs, unless I'm very mistaken.

You're quite right, however it CAN make games that are more than one player.  I've already decompiled the thing and started editing things manually, but the only problem is the language is like encoded in hexadecimal so it's really hard to work with an already compiled game.  It's worse than trying to edit HTML created by an HTML generator. :x

My only goal here is to make the 3D characters first.  After that, I'll worry about scenes and crap.  If ya can't have LBT characters, it's not worth making/playing.  I can animate already made 3D models, but making them is a REAL challenge.  I'm using elovia hexagon, which is very sophisticated but not very user friendly.  I would prefer to be using Rhino, however I don't want to wait to download it.  Isn't it like.......3.8gb? :blink:

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
...Hmm...  Yeah, jRPGs.  ...But, I guess that's what I'm mostly used to, though...  Although, I really enjoyed Morrowind.  No, really.  It's one of the best games I've ever played!

action9000, your reasons for not being able to finish a game are EXACTLY my reasons.  Every one you've listed in your posts, is exactly my dilemma...
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
someone had tried this a year ago,

without succes,

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Quote from: kjeldo,May 18 2008 on  04:11 PM

without succes,
That doesn't mean anything. If this somebody haven't succeed, why does everyone should fail because of that?

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Coyote_A,May 18 2008 on  09:35 AM
Quote from: kjeldo,May 18 2008 on  04:11 PM

without succes,
That doesn't mean anything. If this somebody haven't succeed, why does everyone should fail because of that?
That's true...  If someone fails, then let someone else take it up...  Or, start one of their own...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry, but I've completely stopped working on this and I won't be starting it up again anytime soon.  It's getting close to finals at school, I'm working on my LBT website, and I'm building a new school website as well as trying to hack the school network so I can access files hosted on my server.  My school blocks direct ip connections. :angry: I can see why, but I'll NEVER use freewebs or some crap hosting site that puts ad's all over your site.  That and the fact that I've already built my school website and I'd have to change all the links if I were to move it to freewebs or something.  Why should I do that just because my schools admin is an a$$ hole?