The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

I've got a question

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As some of you may or may not know, I sometimes try to put up the songs from LBT 10, but when I do, YouTube says they aren't allowed because Universal says so.

However, there is one tiny thing I question.  What about the following law then:

#  Fair Use / Fair Dealing

If you believe your use meets the legal requirements for exemption from copyright under appropriate law, you can dispute the claim. If you are unsure, you should seek legal counsel before submitting a dispute.

------

Considering the fact that Universal isn't working on any LBT projects for the time being, and as research by multiple members here have shown that they aren't making any money off the franchise at all, and the fact that they have closed the office of LBT, wouldn't this rule make me have every reason to put it up considering the circumstances?  Or is there something I'm missing here?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No, I think that is correct. Though they still own the rights to lbt.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One can still own the copyright and or trademark of something and not be making it into a movie or have  book out about it or comic book.  Though you'd have to talk to a copyright attorney to get full information.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Yeah. For example, even though Disney is not likely to make any more Lion King material, they still own the copyrights to it and can easily stop anyone from uploading clips of The Lion King.

Just because a copyright owner isn't working on a particular product or making much money doesn't mean that the copyright owner will not try to stop that particular product from being uploaded onto the web.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Sad but its true, as long as the company made it all copyrights go to them.  We just don't have the opportunity to literally contact them to get permission to post.   :mad I guarantee you that if you get the chance to call and ask, they would try and get a Big Cash Cut from you; like 100,000 per film or something like that (thats going to far).  

Copyright Owners are setting me on my nerves though; just because we don't contact them to ask to use anything that belong to them does not mean everyone is a Thief.  Most people upload these thing to make the internet more interesting.  Very few will steal and clam things their own but the majority do it for fun I don't see what the big deal is!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It can also get pretty complicated if you add in trademark laws.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
This is one of the main reasons I own my own server.  I'm sick and tired of people deleting my stuff after 30 days and telling me that I don't have "permission" to use that material because it's been "copyrighted".  It's just stupid. :rolleyes:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm going to talk to them about this.  Here's hoping. :)

Wish me luck! :D

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I sent them an e-mail and am quite upset that they won't even look at it. :(

Why?  Only because I didn't give them any information of a video that is breaking copyright.  Why does this matter?  I was only asking them a simple question! :angry:

To be honest, this is one of the worst rules I've ever seen. :(