The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why are the characters so crudely drawn?

Guest · 8 · 3127

Bruton the Iguanodon

Do you notice how crudely drawn the characters are in the series? Littlefoot looks particularly bloated and Spike doesn't even have the lines on his belly any more. It all looks awful. Of course, we've had a lot of poorly drawn moments in the films, too. One of the first ones I can think of is here.

The mom looks rather bloated in this shot  :huh:

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I already made a response about this in your topic about what was wrong in the series. Here it is:

Well television material is usually of lower quality than full movies. They have less time and less resources to work with. So you can't really fault them for it.

That is your answer. To explain a tad more, they have less time and less money on their side during a TV show, and they have to produce episodes at a considerable rate. They cannot make the TV show as polished as the show. You cannot expect them to be able to do that.

Bruton the Iguanodon

OK, sorry, I sort of just wanted an excuse to post this picture to point out that Mama Flyer is poorly drawn in it.

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
Well, people are expecting TV series to be finished in like 2 weeks so they can't draw perfectly detailed characters.  Think about the original movie.  They had all the time in the world to make it and it came out fantastic.  The people don't have that time so it kinda has crappy animation.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Actually, although their time is very limited, there really isn't much excuse for slacking off on details like Bruton described. Take an anime like Bleach for example. They push full-length, 23 minute episodes out once a week, and the artwork and attention to detail in the characters and the environments continues to amaze me. And that's not even counting the ridiculous special effects in some episodes. The Land Before Time tv series is probably just on a much lower budget, hence less people to work on it, because if they really wanted to and had the money, they could easily make the episodes of movie quality.

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Honestly, if it was the 90s, the animation  would’ve looked a lot better.  But, I guess they had to wait until the popularity drop so that the animation can look like a complete MESS.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
Honestly, if it was the 90s, the animation  would’ve looked a lot better.  But, I guess they had to wait until the popularity drop so that the animation can look like a complete MESS.
I'm sure a lot of it really was budgetary and time constraints :rhett_smile

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

The jewelstone queen

• just call me Jewel ; D
  • Spike
  • I'm just an artist :0
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel (I animate stuff, they old)
Well, it is a tv show after all, so the animation isn't always going to be perfect and smooth.  :petrienotamused

Have understood the struggles they have to go through to make this series, I have no other problem with it. Although, I don't like how the characters are drawn with so many wrinkles and folds. This style was portrayed through every movie of this franchise. It doesn't bother me all too much, but I just want to point it out. 
I'm currently writing an lbt fanfic about Littlefoot and Ruby, it's a little cringy at first. Go check it out if you're interested! FANFICTION.NET- https://www.fanfiction.net/s/14063661/1/The-Land-Before-time-Unbearable
OR RIGHT HERE ON THE WEBSITE- https://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=17556.0