The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Christmas Specials

Petrie · 11 · 3258

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Last night I just popped in Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (1964 version narrated by Burl Ives) and even though the animation technique is very cheezy, it's probably the best "traditional" Christmas show I like watching every year. :)  Some people really like the Charlie Brown Christmas Special over here.

As for non-traditional, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) with Chevy Chase is my only choice. :D

So what do you guys watch during the holiday season?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
All the Rankin-Bass ones, Rudolph (and its sequels), and Frosty(and its sequel). Non-traditional: The Grinch starring Jim Carrey.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Rudolph is the only Rakin-Bass one that I really like...Frosty seemed really cheezy...I have no idea why either. :p  I just never liked the way they animated and wrote the story.  The Santa Claus one was pretty good too....maybe it's just me and I preferred the unique quirkiness of stop motion animation.  :lol

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Jim Carrey's version of The Grinch was on TV tonight. I actually quite like that film purely because of the wacky nature of Mr. Carrey! He makes me crack up! Oh, here's something I also find out. James Horner was the composer to The Grinch as well as doing our beloved LBT #1! Cool huh?!  :D

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Horner sure has conducted a lot of movie soundtracks. To be frank, he's hit and miss, IMO.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Well, also the films he's composed for have been "hit or miss"....I'm sure most of you know he did the soundtrack to Balto, and that was lukewarm at best....all the wolf lovers liked it naturally. :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
My favorite Christmas Specials have always, all the way back to my earliest memories, been the Rankin/Bass "Little Drummer Boy" and adaptations of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."

My particular favorites out of the 'Christmas Carol' bunch are "A Muppet Christmas Carol", starring Michael Cain as Scrooge. It only Muppet movie that ever managed to be truly and honestly heart-jerking and tear-invoking. The other being "Mickey's Christmas Carol", a 1983 animated Disney adaptation featuring Scrooge McDuck as Mr. Scrooge.

And, I just absolutely adore Rankin and Bass's "The Little Drummer Boy".

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I love Mickey's Christmas Carol! Love it to bits! Funnily enough, this movie is ALSO linked to the first LBT! Will Ryan who plays Petrie in LBT 1 also plays the giant (the ghost of Xmas Present) in Mickey's Christmas Carol as well as a few others! Did ya know that?!  ;) Check out imdb.com if ya dont believe me!

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I only saw Mickey's Christmas Carol once, but I'll never stop loving the Muppet Christmas Carol.  There was another Muppet Christmas movie that I saw.  It was funny and interesting, but just not as much as the Carol.

I'll be sure to check that sight out once I get the chance to. :)

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Oh wow, I haven't seen Mickey's Christmas Carol in ages!  :slap  Even longer than the Rankin/Bass films.  Will Ryan has quite a few appearances on other shows and shorts so I wouldn't be surprised if he's in that film. ;)

I'll have to see if I can find that film now....its somewhere around here. :P:

Oh, I just remembered another one that we have...its a Christmas special from Sesame Street characters...I forgot the title.  My sisters watched this all the time but I do remember it now because it was right next to all the Rankin/Bass videos.  :lol:

Daddytops2021

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Rudolph 1964
Raoul: (voiceover): What is this? A Triceratops? A grocery store with, and… He’s got hot dogs? Subways?