The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Covers and Remixes

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
What's your take on these?

Depending on your mood, it may be the original and nothing else, but sometimes when an artist takes a cover of another's work they actually do a better job, or its more well known than the original.  One of the more common ones I can think of would be "I Heard it Through the Grapevine".  I can almost guarantee more people know the version by Marvin Gaye and would say the song is good.  That's a cover.  The original artist actually was Gladys Knight, and in this case, I like Gaye's version better, and have not been a big follower of Knight.  Perhaps a more common example is "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and most have likely heard Clay Aiken's version.  That's been covered before (I know LeAnn Rimes has done it) and the original artists are none other than Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel.  Aiken brought a breath of fresh air to the song with his ability to extend and hold notes, Rimes took it very slow and saultry.  In this case I like all three versions.

Remixes are another story since they're often made for dance floors or something like that, and meant to give a different character to a song someone already knows.  Madonna did dance remixes (sorf of) of songs found on her "Like A Prayer" album and the drum thumping and different instrumentation were released on a later cd.  The earlier version was like a gospel choir, and the later ones come across the type you might hear in a disco.  I don't know if that's a true remix, but they certainly address different listeners, and I do favor both versions when I'm interested in different moods of music.

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
one of my favorite covers is Grey Daze's take on Anything, Anything by Dramarama, it's real good

and you guys should know at least a bit by now of how much I enjoy remixed :D

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
I love Origin's cover of New Order's Blue Monday. This song is New Order's ugly duckling. It's the song they hate the most, however its single is the 7" single that sold the most copies in the whole world, and the fans just keep asking for it :D

I used to like remixs more when I was younger. Now I'm not into that, although some remixs are quite cool. As long as a band makes a good job and doesn't ruin the original song, it's ok for them to do covers.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool