The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What other languages do you speak?

Poll

What languages do you speak besides English?

Arabic
0 (0%)
Bulgarian
0 (0%)
Chinese
1 (3.3%)
Croatian
1 (3.3%)
Czech
2 (6.7%)
Danish
0 (0%)
Dutch
1 (3.3%)
Finnish
3 (10%)
French
2 (6.7%)
German
4 (13.3%)
Greek
0 (0%)
Hindi
1 (3.3%)
Hungarian
0 (0%)
Indonesian
0 (0%)
Irish
0 (0%)
Italian
1 (3.3%)
Japanese
0 (0%)
Korean
0 (0%)
Malaysian
0 (0%)
Norwegian
0 (0%)
Polish
1 (3.3%)
Portuguese
1 (3.3%)
Romanian
0 (0%)
Russian
4 (13.3%)
Serbian
0 (0%)
Slovak
0 (0%)
Spanish
4 (13.3%)
Swedish
3 (10%)
Tagalog
0 (0%)
Thai
0 (0%)
Turkish
0 (0%)
Ukranian
0 (0%)
Elvish (Tolkien)
0 (0%)
Lapine (Watership Down)
1 (3.3%)
Klingon (Star Trek)
0 (0%)
Dothraki (Game of Thrones)
0 (0%)
Na'vi (Avatar)
0 (0%)
Alienese (Futurama)
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It is clear that all of us speak English, with the majority of our members coming from English-speaking areas. What other languages do you speak (or at least understand to some degree)?

I've created a poll and tried to include the majority of languages (however, I didn't include all sub-languages). I also added some fantasy languages  :ChomperAmused

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
For me personally:
- Dutch native
- Learned French in high school and also studied it in university. Could probably get around in France relatively easily.
- Still learning Portuguese (the Portugal variant). Only know the bare basics for now and still find it very difficult to understand. But hey, basics are better than nothing at all :D

I can also understand a bit of German, but that is because Dutch and German are somewhat closely related. I can't speak or write it. I've never studied it properly and didn't add it to my choices on this list.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
We learned Spanish in school, and I could speak it as "good" as English once, but I didn't speak it for more than 10 years already, so... I forgot it.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm one of those lame people who only speak English  :PLoofah

In Alberta it's mandatory to take French courses in Grades 4 to 6, with the option to take more french classes starting in Grade 7. I can't say I remember much of anything from that time however haha.
I did also take a German class in Grade 10, but couldn't pursue it in following years due to other class conflicts.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I too am a lame person who only knows English. :p

The only other language I started to learn at one point was French. As Flathead said, it's mandatory in Alberta to take it from Grades 4 to 6. I never touched French again after that, but I attribute that partly to having had a terrible French teacher who soured me on the subject as a kid. Maybe I would've taken more of it if I'd had a better experience.

Sarah

• Member+
  • Ruby
    • View Profile
German is my native language. I also can understand some texts, which are written in Latin. In the end of 2019, I began to learn Spanish. I often didn't have time to learn it, and then the pandemic came, so I can speak it a little, but not very well. And because some European languages include words from the English and the German language, I can understand them sometimes, Dutch is the best example. I sometimes even watch the land before time in Dutch, because it is interesting to see how lines or names were translated differently in other countries.

jassy

• certified member of the spike fanclub :)
  • Member+
  • Spike
  • your local procrastinating fanartist!
    • View Profile
I speak Punjabi and a bit of Hindi as well! The second I can’t do very well but I can understand what someone says when they speak to me.
"Don't you ever wonder what's out there?"  :rainbowThinking

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
My native language is Finnish, but that's not the only thing I can speak. I'm very fluent in English and I've studied Russian and Spanish during my time in college. I also know a few words of Greek, but that's about it. :p

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Apart from English, I speak German and Czech.

Czech was my first language, then I learned english, and I also learned German for a significant time, even though my german is unambiguously worse, than English. Anything other is not significant, because I had no teacher, or I learned it for a very short time (Polish, Russian). Currently, I still learn English, and hope I will again start learning German soon.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 05:19:19 PM by Compsognathus »

Rustam

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Social Network Profile
Russian is my native language.
Forever in the past.

fried-longneck

• Member+
  • Chomper
  • He could be any one of us
    • View Profile
My native language is Polish,but I also speak german and most of slavic languages because they're simillar to polish

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
Love the inclusion of Lapine :bronGoodJob
I speak very, very bad French lol

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

shaiger

• Chomper
    • View Profile
My native language is Finnish and the only other language I speak fluently is English.
I understand Swedish - both written and spoken - but I can't produce speech or text myself. Kinda the same with Spanish but it's such a fast paced language that you have to speak slowly to me so I can understand at least something :D
I understand some of the basics of German and Russian but I can't even remember how to introduce myself in those languages lol.
I'm also including FSL. I understand certain words and phrases but I wouldn't say that  I necessarily speak it.

Silver the Pterosaur

• Apprentice to the Rainbow Faces
  • Member+
  • Ruby
  • in 1,474 days, I become an Optometrist.
    • View Profile
Hey, am I crazy for trying to learn Spanish and Russian at the same time?
 :bestsharptooth
りゅうすけ

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
^ They're virtually different languages phonetically so no, I don't think so. Just don't try to learn French and Spanish at the same time because you'll start speaking a mesh of the two, being so a like and all.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I only speak Spanish, but my boyfriend is a polyglot. He speaks English, Spanish, German, Irish/Gaelic, and Esperanto, plus he can kinda read (but not really speak) Japanese. He works as a localizer for a global app development company