The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Thoughts on Mario Golf Super Rush?

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
I thought I would create this thread to say what are your thoughts on Nintendo and Camelot’s new Mario Golf game?

Honestly, my thoughts are that the Speed Golf mode is a blast, it makes golf more enjoyable.  The Battle Golf mode is good too, but it gets repetitive after awhile.  Golf Adventure, that was fun, but I had to keep grinding to make a perfect Mii character with perfect stats so I can take him online (you don’t want to know how long that takes).

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I haven't played it, though was thinking about buying it at one point because of how much I liked Toadstool Tour back in the GCN days. Still undecided whether I'll drop full price of a game on something that I would probably not end up playing that much, especially since I generally don't have very many people to play it with nowadays (assuming you could still even play local multiplayer with 1 controller taking turns like in the GCN one)

Speed golf does seem like a pretty cool idea though haha

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Speed golf does seem like a pretty cool idea though haha

Technically in that mode, everyone hits their golf ball at once, and once you hit it, you have to run to it on foot. 

Special dashes will help you catch up to it faster, although there is stamina in this mode, and that means you can only do that type of dash once your stamina bar turns green.  Other than that, be the first to hit the golf ball in the hole. 

However keep in mind that each stroke adds 30 seconds to your time, so even if your the first one to hit the ball in the green, someone could finish with less strokes than you so be careful. 

Also there’s special shots, in which can do many special things, including sending golf balls flying, or turns the green into ice, OR making it harder to hit the ball in the green.  So yeah, speed golf is intense (especially when playing online).

Anyway, hope that didn’t sound too complicated…

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh yeah I already have a decent understanding of how the mode works from watching videos on it, though didn't know about the added time for each stroke. Makes sense though as it adds to the fun of trying to be as accurate and fast as possible.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Just saw a copy of it at my local department store. The last time I played Mario Golf was N64.

The new modes sound fun.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

chomper94

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, seeing as how there is a new update out for the game, I’ll explain my thoughts on that update.

First off, the new course looks incredible!  New Donk City was pretty much my favorite location in all of Super Mario Odyssey.  So seeing it here in Super Rush, is incredible!

And then there’s Ranked Mode, which is basically a competitive version of online, although it doesn’t feel like it.  Basically, all you do is play more, and you go up a rank.  What’s strange is that even if you lose, there’s no penalty, you still gain point, where’s the challenge? 

And yeah, special shots and hitting at the same time for Standard Golf is not a good combination.  Basically, it turns into a game of chicken once you charge your special shot for the next hole, and that straight up makes the game unplayable.  What’s more shocking is there’s no time limit for taking your shot in Standard Golf, so if someone is AFK, good luck seeing how long you can last, because there’s no way to quit until the AFK player takes his shot. 

Then there’s the rewards for getting to A- rank.  Although it’s cool, what’s the point of playing once you get your reward?  Sure, you can go to S+, but since there’s no challenge to reach that rank since you gain points even for losing, it’s not really worth it. 

Also 3 holes for each ranked game is very short, can’t we do something like 6 or 9?

Overall, after that very long statement (if you read the whole thing even if it was long, I’m impressed), I like the new course, but Nintendo really needs to fix the Ranked Mode, because it seems not so competitive. 

In fact, they have a ranked competitive mode in Splatoon 2, why is that so competitive yet Super Rush ranked is more for fun than competitive?  Really, fix Mario golf ranked Nintendo…

CappyGaming

• Chomper
  • I love Littlefoot!
    • View Profile
AAAAH! Im so jealous!  I dont have enough to get it but it looks awesome.

Also, NINTENDO, EH EH EH

CAMELOT, EH EH EH