The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Should have Petrie died?

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
We all know that Petrie manages to survive being dragged by the sharptooth into the lake. But would it have been more realistic and perhaps better if he died?
Sidenote: Yes I am aware that sharptooth let's go of Petrie before the boulder crushes him.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 08:40:19 AM by LittleDas75 »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
 :(petrie

I don't think it would make the movie better.
Original LBT was pretty depressing and dark movie, but this scene would push it beyond all borders, considering context of the movie, and its aiming at kids audience.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Yeah, I hate the character, but killing him off seems excessive. Movie's dark enough

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 08, 2022, 03:49:43 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on June 08, 2022, 03:49:43 PM
Yeah, I hate the character, but killing him off seems excessive. Movie's dark enough
It probably would have been excessive.

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Petrie doesn't deserve death. I quite like his broken English.

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't get this weird obsession with killing off members of the gang that this fandom has.  I stopped reading fanfiction for pretty much that same reason. 

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I don't get this weird obsession with killing off members of the gang that this fandom has.  I stopped reading fanfiction for pretty much that same reason.
Well this is something I have wanted to discuss for a while. I didn't know it was an obsession. I'm glad Petrie didn't die and I don't wish that he did.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 07:07:18 PM by LittleDas75 »

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I don't think there's anything wrong with asking this question, given that the movie does bait at it. I'm generally in agreement with most of the thread that I think it's better overall that Petrie lives. It doesn't actively make the story worse to have him live, unlike something like Chief the dog not dying in The Fox and the Hound. That being said, taking the first movie as a standalone, it could certainly have given both Sharptooth and Petrie even more impact. Sharptooth as successfully killing not only Littlefoot's mother, but taking one of the main kids with him as he's finally killed, and Petrie for essentially being a martyr.  It's a sobering thought to imagine a story where the brutality of nature did ultimately.

But I'm just spitballing, and that kind of thing just isn't Don Bluth's style, generally speaking. Even Littlefoot's Mother dying is pretty brutal for his work in the first place, but that's very much necessary in the story. Ultimately, again, probably best that Petrie lives so we can get a happy ending with minimal asterisks and not traumatize the audience even more than they already have been.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I don't think there's anything wrong with asking this question, given that the movie does bait at it. I'm generally in agreement with most of the thread that I think it's better overall that Petrie lives. It doesn't actively make the story worse to have him live, unlike something like Chief the dog not dying in The Fox and the Hound. That being said, taking the first movie as a standalone, it could certainly have given both Sharptooth and Petrie even more impact. Sharptooth as successfully killing not only Littlefoot's mother, but taking one of the main kids with him as he's finally killed, and Petrie for essentially being a martyr.  It's a sobering thought to imagine a story where the brutality of nature did ultimately.

But I'm just spitballing, and that kind of thing just isn't Don Bluth's style, generally speaking. Even Littlefoot's Mother dying is pretty brutal for his work in the first place, but that's very much necessary in the story. Ultimately, again, probably best that Petrie lives so we can get a happy ending with minimal asterisks and not traumatize the audience even more than they already have been.

i agree, it is a valid speculation since Petrie’s death was teased when Sharptooth snaps his jaws on him, and drags him down into the deep water.

I agree that Petrie living is best, he is one of my favs of the Gang in all the movies and series. I think Bluth was wise to reward Petrie for his bravery, that he outs himself in harms way for Ducky and the Gang, “he that lays down his life.. shall have it.”

I admit when I first saw the scene as a kid, I worried Petrie was gone. I was relieved when he surfaces.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith