The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Looney Tunes Back in Action

Petrie · 16 · 2346

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Cats and Dogs was a movie, and they did make a Looney Tunes CGI/live-action movie with Brendan Fraiser so we could've conceivably been speaking of movies. ;)

While we're on the topic, did anybody actually watch that Looney Tunes movie?  They had done something similar with Space Jam (which I didn't like) and I'm not sure how this turned out but they haven't had the best of luck mixing Looney Tunes and actors.  :unsure:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
"Cats and Dogs" seems to be a movie people think very different about. I once saw it and have to say it was a little too silly for my taste.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Other than the presence of the Looney Toons, there is little resemblance between "Space Jam" and "Looney Toons Strike Back".
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I see....I had just known that reviews for it were generally bad as many claim that the actors were not even "looking" at the characters.  :unsure:

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I Never saw Looney Tunes:Back In Action, and to be honest I didn't want to. Too campy, from what I saw in the promos.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"campy" ???  :unsure:

What type of lingo is that?  If that means something like "lousy" then I'll agree since that's what I've heard myself.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Silly, pointless, irrelevant.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Looney Tunes are not nearly as famous here in Germany than they are in America. Most people know them by sight, but if they are asked to give the names of the characters I don't think many would be able to answer.
Very recently a movie park that advertised with the Looney Tunes characters had to change their strategy, simply because the characters were not popular enough (I think they are now trying about other the characters of Ice Age in that park).

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Loony Tunes:  Back In Action is not as good as Space Jam in my opinion.  Probably just as funny, but not as good.  I saw some deleted scenes that included an alternate beginning that should have been put in instead, because it was better and a little more funnier than the original (the old "Duck Season, Rabbit Season" skit, but with more blasting)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't see why everyone dumps on "Looney Toons Back in Action".

They're supposed to be pointless, irrelevant, and silly. That's the point!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I was refering to the acting. Let's compare Looney Tines :BIA to Who Framed Roger Rabbit. WFRR has the right balance of zaniness and acting, with goood acting performances by Christopher LLoyd and Bob Hoskins. Looney Tunes eskews balance for zaniness.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Brendan Fraser, Timothy Dalton, Steve Martin....the acting was up to par.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess I'll have to watch it myself; I just go by what I've read, and many say Looney Tunes BIA is nowhere near as good as WFRR in terms of blending live action and animation.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, it could have been better, that's for sure, but Looney Toons: BIA is not a waste of time, either, especially if you like the toons

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is true, It's not great, but not horrible either.
Nick
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I managed to find a copy and watched it this weekend.  I'll agree---if you watch it for the toons, you will like it.  Hehe, Wile E. and the "Ouch" sign.  :lol:

I also agree with what others did say regarding the interaction between the human characters and the toon characters: it was non existent.  Sure they talk to each other, but they don't really touch each other (except for Fraiser's fighting scene), and the toons always worked around with things that were put in by a computer (i.e. Yosemite Sam and his shooting routine on stage).  I guess the interaction could've been much better since we have that capability to do so much more these days than when Roger Rabbit was made in the late 80s (that's basically what I compared LTBIA to).

Overall, it wasn't a letdown, but nothing amazing either.