The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wired or Wireless Mouse?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, that black Gearhead I bought last year has been replaced.  The scroll wheel stopped working.  I'm too used to using it to move a page up and down.

Now I have an onn 4-button wireless mouse for my desktop.  This one has the function that if I stop using it for a period of time, it'll stop function to save on power until I click the mouse to restart it.  It actually helps save power while I'm asleep.  Sure a little annoying, but it helps.

We'll see how it goes with this one.

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/
I prefer wireless; every time I had a mouse with a cord, there never seems to be enough cord length from the back of my computer to my desk. That's why I opted for the wireless option.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've played games with a wireless mouse. I never really had any issues. I had more problems with wired mice because of the cord getting in the way and slowing down my movements.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Same here. I always use a wireless mouse for everything. I don't have any issues.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've always used a wired mouse and I haven't had any problems with the cord getting in the way. I use higher sensitivity so I only have to move my mouse about 3cm to reach on side of the screen to the other, mostly due to the fact my small desk is all cluttered.

I should note that I have never owned a laptop and I would probably use a wireless mouse in that case.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Wired all the way. Great response time, no antenna to lose and no batteries to change.

Hell, I still use the old PS/2 wired mouse (complete with ball) and keyboard. Of course, this requires a direct connection to the computer or an AC powered USB hub.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I haven't used a PS/2 mouse or keyboard in years. I think the last time I did, it was with an XP computer. And I recall not knowing that PS/2 aren't hot swappable so I wound up giving my computer a BSOD when I unplugged (or replugged, forget which) a PS/2 keyboard from it.

A friend of mine also prefers wired due to not having to worry about the battery. It doesn't bother me much as a single cheap battery (from the dollar store) is able to last a long time without needing to be changed.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
With the proper PS/2 to USB converter (not adapter ) you can make a PS/2 keyboard or mouse hot swappable.

But like I said, you will need an AC powered USB hub or a direct connection to the computer to do so as it draws quite a bit of power for a USB device.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

CybertronianBrony

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I always use a wired mouse. 'Cause wireless mouses uses batteries. And they drain pretty quickly.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
prefer wired.
Wires doesn't mess my work in my life...

but parents don't undserstand, so they bought wireless.
Funny, because there're couple new or wireless thing that got broken in months so I took hidden veeery old wire devices (saved before they were thrown to trash bin), and now they still work.

Parents, you're lame.

*puts cool sunglasses on*
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, my laptop mouse was acting weird.  Basically, the mouse pointer was going all over the place.  Usually, this means the battery is near dead.  However, even after putting in new batteries, it was still acting weird.

I have replaced said mouse with a Blackweb 6-button mouse.  It's working well now.  Let's see how long this one lasts.

DiddyKF1

• Monkey of Many Mysteries from the Fruitiest Forests
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Proud supporter of DuckyxPetrie!
    • View Profile
A few months ago, my red laptop's left mouse button was having issues clicking. Unfortunately, this is the same one I use for fanfiction, fanart and video projects, as my other laptop is used primarily for gaming and emulators.

This summer, it became obvious that the left mouse button was practically crumbling underneath the shell, and eventually, one morning, it pressed down and never came back up, so I slammed the power button to turn it off. We ended up having to take the cover off the mouse button and actually remove the button itself. As a result, we had to make adjustments to the mouse driver, and this laptop has forever lost the ability to do click and drags with the left button, and I have to tap down on the touchpad for a left click.

My new laptop has a touchpad that I don't like, and I'm already using a wireless mouse for that one. Sadly, though, in recent days, my old laptop's right mouse button has started to show signs of wear, too, and I'm afraid that the laptop I've been using these past 3 1/2 years for writing stories and making artwork may soon become subject to permanent use of a wireless mouse.  :(
Suddenly, I've written so many fanfics that I can't possibly list them all! :P

Ducky x Petrie forever! :)petrie :duckyhappy

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I too prefer wired once over wireless, I have used those before, and they we're not satisfactory enough for me. They seemed to be bit slower than wired ones, of course this could also be what kind of wireless one you use. I don't remember mine, but it definitely felt really weird in my hand. Currently I have GMX 4, and while it's good, the cord is starting to fragment a little. Might have to buy new one sooner than thought. :(

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've been using a hand me down of some type of wired razer mouse that has worked really well for me so far. Never really bothered with wireless as it just seems uneccessary.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've got a wireless mouse at work and a wired one for home use. I'm not preferential to either. I'd say the cable of my wired mouse tends to get stuck every now and then, so I might prefer wireless these days. Battery time is no longer an issue and their accuracy is quite nice, assuming you get a decent mouse. ^^

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I too prefer wired mouses, and it is what I currently have with both my desktop and my laptop computer, although part of that is simply because it's what I grew up with and it's what I'm used to. Creature of habit, I suppose.  :TreeStar  I remember trying out wireless many years ago and having issues with it connecting properly. I imagine technology has improved a lot since then. But still, even there, I like not having to use a battery. I understand that some people have issues with the cords being too short or getting in the way, but that was never a problem for me.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I wanted to ask, what kind of a wireless mouse you would suggest? I've run into lot of crabby ones before and don't want to make that mistake again.  :yes

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
I personally prefer a wireless mouse. Wires in general do get in the way and they're pretty annoying as they take up space. Yeah, I get used to it after awhile, but it would still occasionally bug me at certain times. I'm actually using a wireless right now, since the old wired Mouse I used is broken. Well...it still works somewhat, it's just that the mouse keeps disconnecting from the computer so often for no reason, and I have to keep unplugging and plugging it in for the computer to detect input of the mouse again. I did that for awhile until I finally said, "Enough is enough!"

I wanted to ask, what kind of a wireless mouse you would suggest? I've run into lot of crabby ones before and don't want to make that mistake again.  :yes

This question is still in need of an answer, and unfortunately I don't have an answer for it myself. :(

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I bought a fancy new mouse not that long ago that flashes different colours. I was really happy with it, but now the wheel has stopped working correctly. It sure makes it annoying when I'm playing Minecraft and trying to scroll through my inventory hotbar.
:opetrie