The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My Desktop is back!

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
If wiping it with the disk didn't work, then you didn't do it right.  If you want to fix this problem without wiping the computer (recommended), follow the steps in this Microsoft tutorial:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

But first, put the old ram back in and see if it will start up.  If it does, it's just a ram issue and has nothing to do with a corrupted registry.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Started up and loaded Windows with old RAM.  Looks like they gave me useless RAM again.

Twice the RAM was the issue.  I feel like not trusting cruical now. -_-

Why are they doing this to me? :(

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I wonder if it really is a RAM issue or if there's something else going on.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Perhaps there's something wrong with the ram slots on the motherboard.  I know you put in just 2gb before, but I want you to do it again.  First fill the black slots and try to start up.  If it doesn't work, remove the ram from the black slots and fill the blue slots.  See if either of those work.

Oh, and you mentioned something about your 512mb ram being 2700 and your new ram being 3200 or something like that.  Did crucial send you the 2700 ram you needed or did they just replace the ram that was incompatible?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
MY RAM is PC3200.  The ones cruical gave me were PC2700.  They just gave me replacements for what they sent, which is what I asked in the first place.

You see, I picked what they recommended the first time around.  I made the shipping a one-day rush because I wanted it ASAP. (You don't know how badly I don't want this computer going slow on me again.) I tried what they recommended and wounded up with useless RAM.  I called them up and had them replace it, and just recently you saw the progress of my problems.  I tell ya, it's been (Seriously, no other word in the English Language explains it better then the one I'm about to say.) $h1t!

I'll try what you recommend LBTlover, but I don't know if it'll help.  I'll keep you guys up-to-date on the progress of whether or not my Desktop works through my laptop. :)

See ya later! :^.^:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Combination #1: Starts Windows in both black and blue, but makes mouse undetectable. (Even if I replace it with a wired one that most likely would be detected.) Low on Virtual Memory error appears.

Combination #2: Starts Windows, detects mouse in black, but has low on Virtual Memory error.  However, programs that require more RAM work fine. (Since it's working, I stop without testing the blue.)

So, the second combination worked, despite the notice.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Try adjusting the virtual memory paging file to recommended settings by the computer.  Right click "my computer" and go to "properties".  Go to the "advanced" tab and then click the first settings button that's highest up in the window.  Another window will come up.  Go to the "advanced" tab again and then click on "change".  Once inside the new window, select the C drive and then select "system managed size".  After that, click the "change" button and then click "ok".  Go ahead and restart the computer like it says and tell me how it goes.

NOTE:  When you do get this ram to recognize, it won't say there's 4gb in there.  It'll either say 3.5gb or 3gb because xp lite is a 32-bit operating system.  I didn't make a 64-bit version because honestly if you need an OS that can support more than 4gb of ram, you can run regular xp just fine. :p

If you can't get this to work at all, send the ram back for a refund.  Crucial scan was able to find compatible ram for your board, but maybe it made a mistake.  I don't know.  I can't check your board model manually for you.  If all else fails, go to bestbuy and buy pc3200 ddr ram that's DUAL CHANNEL.  It'll be more expensive, but it'll be compatible.  I've never had a problem with crucial before, of course I've also never had a computer that's such a pain in the a$$ as yours is.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay.  Here's what I want you to do.  You NEED to do a bios update.  First, download this little handy app:

http://dw.com.com/redir?edId=3&siteId=4&oI...f78ba2b1629c8b2

This app will tell you all of your bios info.  Then simply go to this site and look up an update:

http://www.bios-drivers.com/

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Second combination of 2 GB in black after adjusting the virtual memory paging file, no notice pops up and everything works beautifully. (Even the programs that required more GB.)

I'll try the full 4 GB now and see what happens.  I'll keep in mind which RAM sticks are working at this point though to ensure everything goes well. :)

Wish me luck! :^.^:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Agh!  Just make sure not to put in 3 modules!  If one of your slots is shot, they're both shot.  You MUST install them in pairs.  Also, please read the above post (my previous one) about the BIOS updates.  You do need that.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ugh!  I've been search the net for an Update on my BIOS (Even what you recommended, LBTlover.) and no luck in finding an update.  Ugh!  Someone help me find one!

Here's the info:

BIOS Type: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG

BIOS Date: 07/19/05 (Was updated in the first year when I had to take it into the shop due to a MAJOR virus/spyware/trojan/etc. problem. (Can't remember exactly what caused it, but I do know it's related in that area.) Greatly weakened the BIOS. :()

BIOS ID: 07/19/2005-NF-CK804-A8NE-FM-00

OEM Sing on: ASUS A8NE-FM ACPI BIOS Revision 1005 07/19/2005

Super I/O: Unknown

Chipset: AMD 1100 rev 0

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

CPU

Type: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+

Speed: 1800 Mhz

Max Speed: 3700 Mhz

ACPI

BIOS ROM[U/]

In Socket: Yes

Size: 512 KB

Please help, because I'm seriously starting to wonder if mine's SO out of date that it doesn't exist anymore. :(

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry, but something is terribly wrong with your BIOS chip.  It won't even tell you the manufacturer of your chip.  The information that's required to look up the BIOS update is all in the BIOS ID section.  It should look something like this:

TOSHIBA EDW10 BIOS Version: V1.30

Your BIOS scan doesn't have any sort of brand in the beginning, so there's no way to look it up.  I think the place you took it to seriously screwed up your BIOS by installing an incompatible version that was made for a different computer but sorta-kinda worked with yours.  I believe that's why the RAM isn't recognizing properly.

(Can't remember exactly what caused it, but I do know it's related in that area.) Greatly weakened the BIOS. sad.gif)

I wouldn't recommend saying anything else that computer place told you.  Do you even know what a BIOS is?  You can't weaken a BIOS!  It's like a 12kb chip that holds all of your setup information.  As you get newer parts, it needs a upgrade.  This means replacing the entire BIOS with a newer version.  I doubt your computer even had viruses.  The people you took it to sound like real idiots.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay.  It took a crapload of research, but I found something.  Here is the ORIGINAL bios you should have in your computer.  See, what makes it so hard is the fact that your board isn't an ASUS, it's a cheap ripoff Fujitsu.  You can download this ISO file here.  NO NO NO!  I found a newer version.  Download this:

LINK REMOVED.  SEE LINK TO MY SERVER.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I doubt your computer even had viruses.

Tell that to what a McAfee Back-up disk found at the time.  Couldn't even cure all the problems.  HAD to take it in.

I wouldn't recommend saying anything else that computer place told you.

Well, to be fully honest, I can't remember everything they told me, so my mind may be saying certain things just to fill in the gaps.  It happens to some of us.

Okay, I'll look up what I can there, but I don't know what I'll find.  If I'm unlucky again, I'm guessing I'm stuck, huh?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just click the download link in my previous post and burn the disk using the UltraISO program I gave you.  Then put the disk in, restart your computer, and follow the instructions.  Be warned however.  DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER OR RESTART DURING THE UPDATE!!!!!  If your computer goes off, you'll corrupt your BIOS!

Crap.  The link no longer works.  I'll put it up on my server.

Okay.  Download the thing from my server:

http://67.171.50.184:8081/Restricted%20Upl...803_1016573.ISO

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Truth tell time. -_-

I've taken it in to the company that made it, PC Laptops, a few hours ago. (Was Totally Awesome Computers a few years back, but they changed their name.) Now, I took it down to some REAL experts.  Basically, they know what their doing and I can trust them. (According to what they said, you still have a few things left to learn about some computer models, LBTlover.  Not much, but still some things.)

Apparently, my model of a computer is more complex than LBTlover here expected.  Even though it can hold 1 GB of RAM in each slot, it won't run under 4 GB, only at 3 GB. (Which explains the start up problems when all 4 GB was inserted.  It's just NEVER going to run properally with that much in it.) Now, if you don't believe me, they have EVERY bit of information of how my computer works in their Data Base, so no arguing with that.

I'm having them update the BIOS, if they can, and fix whatever other problems it may have.

Basically, it was different than what LBTlover expected.  It's why we had so many problems from the start.  Time to let the people who really know it handle it.

My Desktop is gone for the weekend. (Since they won't open til Monday.) So, I've got my laptop until then.

Well, I have to go now.  See ya later! :^.^:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I already told you that only 3 or 3.5gb of ram would recognize.  Trust me, I know just about everything about computers.  All you had to do was download that BIOS update and it would have ran great.  When you get the computer back, look inside it.  The 4 modules will be in there, but only 3 or 3.5gb will recognize.  Do you even ready my posts? :angry:

All you're paying them to do is download the file I have a link to in my post.  That was a really dumb move.  I bet they charge you like $150 for it too.

The reason why only 3gb will recognize is because you've got a 32 bit processor and operating system.  It will still run with the 4gb in there, but only 3 will recognize.  Just go ahead an look inside it when you get it back.  You're gonna be sick to your stomach when you see you paid them all that money to download a file and spend 2 minutes upgrading the BIOS.

I upgrade computers like yours all the time to 4gb and only 3gb recognizes.  It's called 32 bit.  There's something seriously wrong with your BIOS, but the file I gave you would have fixed it in less than 5 minutes.  If you can get your computer back without paying, you should.

Apparently, my model of a computer is more complex than LBTlover here expected. Even though it can hold 1 GB of RAM in each slot, it won't run under 4 GB, only at 3 GB. (Which explains the start up problems when all 4 GB was inserted. It's just NEVER going to run properally with that much in it.)

They are explaining it to you totally wrong.  You MUST put in either 2 or 4 chips.  You can't put in just 3gb unless you get 512mb modules.  Go ahead and look inside it when you get it back.  All your 4gb of ram will be in there, but only 3 of it will recognize because your computer is 32 bit.  I'm telling ya, NOTHING is wrong with this computer except for the BIOS being corrupted and out of date.  They're gonna tell you there was a million things wrong to justify charging $150, but the truth is the BIOS is the ONLY PROBLEM.

Ask Action9000 or Littlefoot.  Both of them can confirm what I'm telling you.

When I was 10 years old I secretly worked at the most reputable computer repair place in town.  They swindled and cheated everyone who came through their door an the people never even knew it.  I'm telling you, they are going to tell you that there's a lot more wrong with it than it is.  A real computer repair place wouldn't even charge for a BIOS update, but I can guarantee you that this place will spend 2 minutes upgrading the BIOS and then move onto something else.  When you come to pick it up, they're gonna charge you for a new hard drive, new ram, and a new operating system.  :rolleyes: 99% of computer places just rip you off and from what you've told me about them, they're idiots.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm going to side with Austin on this one, even though I do little upgrading.  There is a wall with how much RAM is recognized in 32-bit systems.  A bios update might have worked considering you've admitted this machine is a bit old (in computer years).  Its similar to motherboards only recognizing so much harddrive space in the early days.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Its similar to motherboards only recognizing so much harddrive space in the early days.

Oh, I forgot about those times Petrie!  I remember when I had to upgrade my old 486's BIOS chip (in those days, you had to physically buy a chip and put it in, not just install some software).  It wouldn't recognize my new 10gb hard drive because it had a 6gb gap.  Ahhhhh, when 10gb was large...........

Your BIOS being from 2005, I think in 2005, 2gb was like unheard of.  Sort of like how 16gb is unheard of today.  You can get it, but it's REALLY uncommon.  Your old BIOS probably just can't support 4gb of ram even though your motherboard can.  A BIOS upgrade to December of 2007 would fix that easy.

If you buy computers today, some of them can handle 16gb of ram on the board, but the BIOS can only support 8gb.  If you want 16gb, you have to download a BIOS update right after you buy it brand new.  It's sort of dumb and I don't know why they do that, but the fact remains that they do.

I have one computer that can support 16gb of ram, but it only has 4 slots and 2 of them are dead so it can really only handle 8gb.  I can't afford 4gb modules so it's only got 4gb in there.  When I went to buy a brand new computer that could handle 16gb of ram, they told me I had to do a BIOS update after I bought it BRAND NEW!  I didn't get it of course.  The thing was over $5,000 so I think you can understand why. :p

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't know if a BIOS update would solve the problem of a physical memory limit in this case. I know some motherboards probably have limits that existing software updates don't address.