The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Server Slowness

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I apologize to those of you who have been having trouble with my server speeds.  I've discovered that my ISP (Comcast) has put a cap on all out-of-state connections that go through any port other than port 80.  That explains why I can download at insane speeds of over 4mbps anywhere I try (including school, wifi locations, my Aunt's house...), yet some of you are getting ridiculous speeds such as 30kps. I was going off of port 81 because port 80 was occupied, but I've removed the print server from port 80 because it doesn't need such speeds.  I'll have to find a way around the cap that Comcast has put up somehow...

Anyways, as some of you already know my life isn't exactly stable right now so I don't have the auto-backup server connected.  Because of this, I've decided to back up the entire server manually from now on.  Since I haven't backed it up in so long, I'm having to back up the entire thing onto an external 500gb hard drive.  The server itself is slightly over 300gb (329 or something like that if I remember correctly).  Transferring all that data over USB 2.0 will take some time so my server will be slowed down a bit.  Not to the extent that it was, but it'll be reduced to around 1.5mbps until the backup is complete.

Well, I've gotta go now.  Lots of work to do.  ;)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
How exactly many hits is that server getting?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How exactly many hits is that server getting?

More than Comcast would like. :lol: I easily burn 10gb of bandwidth per day at the current rate.  I don't get that many uploads, but people download stuff off of there a lot.  As for hits...I don't even know.  All I keep track of is the bandwidth usage.  I didn't write a script to count how many visitors I get.  I wrote a script that records every IP that accesses the server so I can ban visitors by IP if I desire, but I didn't bother to write a visitor counter.  My server caught on much too fast for me to worry about how many hits I was getting. :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think I've solved the problem with the slowness.  I used a remote server connection from Maryland and I got 250kps (the max download speed of that server) when I tried to download some files from my own server.  I brought the server back to port 81 and tried again.  I then got 33kps so I think it's fixed.