The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Member Awards

Petrie. · 65 · 7794

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Only reason I don't want that type of an award is because "newbie" implies, new member, but yet like I said, our newest members have been around a lot and I know them just as well as I know those who I have known for years.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I admit that the term could be misunderstood while I definitely did not mean it as any kind of derogation of very active and important members of our comunity. I meant for something that rules out the "oldies" who are already nominated for a lot. If it was only for the term "newby" we could call it the "shooting star award". The metaphor often refers to people who arrive new on the spot and make a great start immediately from the beginning. Then again shooting stars burn up and last for few moments only, so I am not exactly sure it would be a lucky term after all.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I guess I'd need the approval of some of the forum's newest members (Cyberlizard, F-14  Ace, action9000) to allow that one since they would be the ones nominated for an award like that.  You certainly have made a good point--these members are "shooting stars".  :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
admit that the term could be misunderstood while I definitely did not mean it as any kind of derogation of very active and important members of our comunity. I meant for something that rules out the "oldies" who are already nominated for a lot. If it was only for the term "newby" we could call it the "shooting star award". The metaphor often refers to people who arrive new on the spot and make a great start immediately from the beginning. Then again shooting stars burn up and last for few moments only, so I am not exactly sure it would be a lucky term after all.

I like this idea, Malte. :DD  I do see your concern with the name "Shooting Star" however such a term is generally seen as positive, and the physical properties of a shooting star are not normally considered when using such a title for recognition, at least in any situation where I have ever seen a similar term being used. Even the popular site, E-Bay, uses shooting star icons for highly active and positive members.  In some of the lower grades in school, I have seen shooting star stickers as being used for symbols of achievement.  They are often seen as symbolic of soaring high, above and beyond normal expectations.
Generally, I consider the "Shooting Star Award" a very appropriate title for such a nominee.

I do like the concept of the award as well.  It gives an opportunity for newer members, who have not yet had time to establish themselves strongly here, to earn some recognition for their input.