The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
That would be interesting to see alright...  :)

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Which Darwin's Soldiers RP did you like the most?

Which one did you feel delivered the highest octane thrills?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Well, I like the second one because Shelton's been somewhere other than the control room :) Also, I've felt the action scenes are more intense. We've got helicopters, humvees, and a giant car chase at the end. The first was much more limited infantry-oriented.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Where did you find the call out to C6H12O6 (glucose)?

On an unrelated note,

Who is your favorite science fiction author?

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm not positive what you mean by the glucose question. As for the science fiction author, Ray Bradbury. He's written a staggering amount of short stories, and many of them, including A Sound of Thunder, All Summer in a Day, and The Utterly Perfect Murder, are among my favorite short stories of all time. His writing has had a profound effect on my own work as a writer, probably more than any writer except George Orwell.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Serris,Sep 6 2009 on  12:59 AM
What is the significance of the titles of your spin off novels?
As Nietzsche's Soldiers:Will to Power hadn't been written at the time of this question, I'll add a continuation:

The title was chosen because I wanted to highlight Dragonstorm, rather than the main focus of the RPs, James' team. I wanted it to serve as an 'anti' for the first RP. Unfortunately, it's kinda since diverted back into a story about Shelton and Kerzach, but the title stays because it's still relevant. If James' team is represented by Darwin, then Dragonstorm would be Nietzsche. Nietzsche believed that humanity occasionally produces "super men" who are destined to do great things to further humanity; he also proposed that "God is dead" and that men are driven mainly by their desires for power. These are all philosophies I believe Dragonstorm would agree with, hence they are his 'soldiers.' And the "Will to Power" is both a direct quote highly associated with Nietzsche (like SOTF with Darwin), and a parallel to how Shelton, Kerzach and Eddie are operating mainly on the will to not get discovered, against Dragonstorm whose operating under a lust for power. The good guys represent the 'will,' and the bad guys are the 'power.'

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Where do you think the DS universe sits on the Mohs Scale Of Science Fiction Hardness?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Rat_Lady: My two favorite bands are Pet Shop Boys and Depeche Mode, which are both synthpop, but most of the time I listen to alternate rock, because I have loads of bands who I like that are in that genre. If you want to see how varied I am:

Favorite song: "Save Me" by Remy Zero
Favorite band: Pet Shop Boys
Favorite album: "When the World Comes Down" by All-American Rejects
Favorite music video: "Imitation of Life" by REM
Favorite live performance: "Wake Me Up When September Ends" Green Day at Foxboro, MA 9/3/05

@ Serris: We kinda run the gamut, similar to Doctor Who. Somethings, such as Tinner's virtual reality machine and the Dragonstorm process for creating experiments, are explained and use realistic or at the very least probable realism. They're probably a 7.

On the other hand, the Einstein-Rosen Bridge is never explained how it works, and fits the bill for 1, Imported Alien Phlebotinum; even though the terrorists aren't alien, it's never explained how the hell they learned to build one of those. The Gamanian technology, with the shuttlecraft, hits 4 or 5, as will Cautizer's Phase Tank once it's introduced.

To sum it up, since the ER Bridge adds a bit of Space Travel, I'd give us a 6.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I was actually thinking of calling it the "Optimal-Camo Tank"

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Do you have a favorite animal? If so, what kind?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
When I was young, I decided what my favorite 'things' were, and have stuck to them. :) Despite the years, the list has not changed from:

color: red
animal: lobster
number: 25
food: cereal

The only change to the list was favorite fruit, which changed from nectarine to pluot, once I discovered what those were. :P:

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Are you interested in TVTropes?

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I'm addicted to TV Tropes. I've actually referred to tropes in real life and am constantly aware of them in my writing and when I watch stuff. Whenever I watch a movie or something, I go see what TV Tropes has on it, and add anything I think they missed.

Of course, I find it hard to believe that anyone who's ever viewed the site has done anything different...xkcd says it best: http://xkcd.com/609/

(Note the alt text references cracked.com, another seriously addicting site, though once you've read all the content you're thankfully free)

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
What tropes do you see in the Darwin's Soldiers universe?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What other fandoms (in books, movies, tv shows, etc) do you like besides Star Trek and LBT? :)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
@Serris: Hoo boy. I've actually been thinking of starting a TV Tropes page on Darwin's Soldiers, since I both find tropes constantly and consciously use them in my stories. I'd been meaning to ask your permission to do so. If so, I'll post them there.

@Rat_Lady: I'm a big Shakespeare fan, but I'm not sure if that's really a fandom. My favorite webcomic is Freefall, and that's the only other forum I'm active on. I'm a fan of many sci-fi TV shows (Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Babylon 5, Smallville), but I only talk about Star Trek because regular people know what that is :)

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Feb 3 2010 on  02:07 PM
@Serris: Hoo boy. I've actually been thinking of starting a TV Tropes page on Darwin's Soldiers, since I both find tropes constantly and consciously use them in my stories. I'd been meaning to ask your permission to do so. If so, I'll post them there.

Permission is granted.

Here are the tropes I see:

Badass
Badass Bookworm
Badass Labcoat
Morally Ambigious Doctorate
Non Action Guy
James Bondage
Took a Level in Badass

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What do you think of my futuristic rendition of Serris' Twilight Valley fic?