The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ask Me About Pokemon

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As my name suggests, I play Pokemon and I know quite a bit about the franchise.  So, ask ANY questions you have about the games and I'll make sure to answer them ASAP.

Take your best shot, because there's nothing I don't know about Pokemon. :D

Enjoy asking! :^.^:

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Aug 13 2009 on  07:42 PM
Okay, what's your favorite Pokemon?
Bringing it down to my absolute favorite out of the 493 Pokemon is an incredibly hard task and one I don't plan on bringing it down to anytime soon.

However, I have a much easier time narrowing it down by type.  So, based on type, here's my choices:

Normal: Snorlax

Fire: Infernape

Water: Manaphy

Electric: Electivire

Grass: Celebi

Ice: Jynx

Fighting: Machamp

Poison: Drapion

Ground: Marowak

Flying: Shaymin - Sky Forme

Bug: Heracross

Psychic: Mew

Rock: Rhyperior

Ghost: Mismagius

Dragon: Garchomp

Dark: Tyranitar

Steel: Jirachi

You want me to narrow it down more?  Forget it!  Not happening. :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Okay, I gotta know.  How many pokemon are there RIGHT NOW?  Last time I checked it was 150. :p

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 13 2009 on  09:05 PM
Okay, I gotta know.  How many pokemon are there RIGHT NOW?  Last time I checked it was 150. :p
Out of different Species, there's a total of 493 Different Pokemon to collect.  However, because of the elusive coding in the game, you CAN'T get them all legally.  You would need to go to Events, which are in New York City, thus making them vastly expensive to go to by most owners of the game.  Not to mention they are always packed daily.  So, most people end up getting certain ones through a third-party cheat device. (WAY cheaper doing it that way, if you ask me.)

So, out of the ones you can get without a cheat device or going through events and just simple trading or transferring with spin-off Pokemon games, (Like Pokemon Ranger) you can only get... 483 in the end.

However, you should know that even after getting them all, you're not done.  No, some even have different forms, which can only be unlocked through certain means.  When you add in these ones, you end up with a total of 523.

Also, if you are THE most elusive of collectors, you'd be interested in capturing those of a different colorization, which are called Shiny Pokemon.  Since EVERY different form of Pokemon has one, it's double that, which makes the grand total a whopping 1,046 kinds of Pokemon to capture.

Good luck getting them all. :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Man, PK has become a monstrosity in recent years!  Glad I got out of it before I had to remember that many stats. :p

What's up with these steel type PK?  I remember running into one in a more recent GB game and it was a real pain in the a$$ because its HP took FOREVER to go down.  What's their weakness?  I know water is really effective against rock and such, but I'm waaaaaaaaaay outa the loop here. :nyah

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 13 2009 on  10:03 PM
What's up with these steel type PK?  I remember running into one in a more recent GB game and it was a real pain in the a$$ because its HP took FOREVER to go down.  What's their weakness?  I know water is really effective against rock and such, but I'm waaaaaaaaaay outa the loop here. :nyah

Steel types first came into play when Gold and Silver came out.  They have only 3 weaknesses.  They are Fire, Ground and Fighting.

However, there's more to it than that.  Steel types have MANY resistances and elusive tricks to make some of their biggest threats have problems if they're not careful. (Seriously, masters of the game can take out newbies and skilled unprepared players in only one to three turns per Pokemon with these guys.)

On top of this, most of them are dual-typed Pokemon.  So you have to put the second type into the equation to figure out a good move.  Most of them end up getting rid of at least one weakness completely.  However, this also sometimes means making one of the other types a one-hit kill.  So, if you plan it right, they can be simple.

To see ALL the Steel-type Pokemon, go here: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/steel.shtml

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
How did the Pokemon's tears resurrect Ash in the first movie?

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
My friend told me Ash gave away all his original pokemen in the TV show. Why'd he do that.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Aug 13 2009 on  11:03 PM
How did the Pokemon's tears resurrect Ash in the first movie?
The truth is that the Anime of Pokemon gives it's own perspective on the world of Pokemon, meaning the writers end up making up whatever they want about them.  You could find TONS of things that were made up with hardly an explanation within the first season of the Pokemon Anime.

So, the writers made up a legend about how the sadness of Pokemon can bring one that is dead back to life.  They have been using it since the first movie, just portraying it in different ways each time someone dies.

So yeah, blame the writers on that one.

My friend told me Ash gave away all his original pokemen in the TV show. Why'd he do that.

First off, he never technically GAVE THEM AWAY.  To give them away would mean for the Pokemon to get nothing in return, be given a completely different owner and to really have no purpose at all.  The ONLY Pokemon that falls under this is Beedrill.  As for the rest...

Butterfree: Butterfree was released and so that it could mate and start a family.

Haunter: Haunter was never really Ash's Pokemon to begin with, as he never caught the Pokemon.  Haunter decided to stay with Sabrina on it's own accord to keep her happy.

Primeape: Primeape was given to a trainer who specialized in Fighting Pokemon and so that it could get stronger.  It still technically belongs to Ash.  He just needs to call it up when the time comes.

Pidgeot: Pidgeot was released and so that it could watch over a flock of Pidgey and Pidgeotto that are often attacked by Spearow and Fearow.

Squirttle: Squirttle was returned to it's old gang as they needed it to become the great fire fighting squad they are today.  Squirttle can return to help Ash any time it wants.  This was proven in one episode where Ash used Squirttle to take on Frontier Brain, Brandon.

Lapras: Lapras never really belonged to Ash.  It was still technically an infant and was returned to it's family after beating a bunch of poachers.

Charizard: Charizard was left in the Charicific Valley to train alongside other Charizard and become stronger.  It still belongs to Ash and can return to him at anytime.

Larvitar: Larvitar was never truly Ash’s and was always destined to return to its Tyranitar mother since it hatched.

Aipom: Aipom was traded to Dawn and so that it could compete in contests as Ash was never interested in them.  Aipom later evolved into Ambipom.  In the Japanese series, it was released to become a Ping-Pong Tournament Champion.

As for any Pokemon we don't see after certain regions are done, they are living peacefully at Professor Oak's Lab, waiting to be called upon if Ash feels he ever needs them.

Hope you can explain that all to your friend. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What's the deal with Mew in the red and blue versions of the game? :p
Everyone seems to cheat somehow to get him but I also hear it's a legitimate pokemon in the game...so why does everyone cheat, is he officially in the red and blue games like any other pokemon and is there a proper way to get him?  I've never heard of one! :p

raichu

• Ruby
    • View Profile
has anyone heard about heartgold  and soulsilver

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Aug 15 2009 on  09:10 AM
What's the deal with Mew in the red and blue versions of the game? :p
Everyone seems to cheat somehow to get him but I also hear it's a legitimate pokemon in the game...so why does everyone cheat, is he officially in the red and blue games like any other pokemon and is there a proper way to get him?  I've never heard of one! :p
The reason SO many people cheat to get Mew is because there's really no other way to get one, save through a rather elusive glitch. (Found here.)

Mew is technically within Red and Blue, based on the FACT that it is in the coding, so it does exist.

Save for the elusive glitch, the ONLY way to get Mew legitimately is to go to an event in New York, which is ALWAYS packed.

Since it would be VERY expensive just to get to the area, lots of people buy a cheat device to get one just because it WAY less expensive.

Mew is the exception to the rule of getting them all legally, because basically, there really is NO other way.

has anyone heard about heartgold and soulsilver

Ah yes, the two new games due to come out in America in Spring 2010.  They are quite the updated versions of Gold and Silver. :)

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What do you think of the Main Characters of Pokemon (Ash, Misty, Brock, etc.)?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: NeoGenesis005,Aug 15 2009 on  10:37 PM
What do you think of the Main Characters of Pokemon (Ash, Misty, Brock, etc.)?
What do I think of them?

Well...

Ash: He was an interesting character from the start.  He was definitely dumb when he began.  However, he has vastly improved.  I like the way he cares about other Pokemon.  Not to mention I'm REALLY liking the enemies he has now. (That don't include the Team Rocket Trio we know.)

Misty: My favorite!  Do you even need to ask why?  She's a freaking tomboy!  I love the arguments she has with Ash and what I miss most about Pokemon. :(

Brock: As long as someone or something keeps him away from the girls, I don't care much for him. :P:

Tracey: Pretty useless really.  Glad they brought back Brock when they did. :D

May: I actually like her quite a bit.  Not much I can say about her though.

Max: Can this kid not be an egotistic know-it-all for ONE episode?  Seriously, he doesn't know everything.

Dawn: The latest addition to the team, and how do I feel about her?  To be honest, I'm not sure what to say.  I just somehow think Dawn is the one the female audience has been waiting for this whole time.

What made you be interested in Pokemon?

The Anime.  I have enjoyed the Anime since it came out and it's what got me interested in the games.  I just got better and better with each new game that came out.  I could probably boast with the best of them. :D

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
What is your opinion on the Mystery Dungeon series?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Aug 16 2009 on  12:01 AM
What is your opinion on the Mystery Dungeon series?
Never really played it, so I can't give you an opinion on them.  They've never really interested me, anyways. :D

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
How did this insane "Pikablu" rumor start?

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Serris,Aug 16 2009 on  12:07 AM
How did this insane "Pikablu" rumor start?
When the silhouette of Marril was shown before it's official name way back after Yellow came out.  If you take a look at Marril's tail, doesn't seem to remind you of Pikachu?  Yeah, that's where the name and the rumor started.

Ever since, rumors popped up about it being in the original games.  However, I'll tell you this right now... PIKABLU IS NOT IN THE POKEMON GAMES!  EVERYTHING YOU FIND IS FALSE!!

All of the capturing methods you find all lead to capturing a random Pokemon and nicknaming it Pikablu.  THAT right there gives it away to being false.

And yeah, some of the things show official sources and all, but they're false too.  Many times they were April Fool's Jokes and no one cared to give out the fine print.

So yeah, it's all a lie.  One that still exists and eludes people to this day, which is just sad. :(