The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Thinking Of Upgrading The LBT Server Computer

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well it's time for a new major computer shift in my office because I just got a new Core2Duo machine to replace my main master Dell Intel Dual Core computer.  Everything's gonna shift.  I'm wondering if I should include the LBT Server in the shift?  It could use something a bit better.  A 1.6ghz Intel Dual Core with 2gb of DDR2 memory is fine but the computer that would replace it is MUCH better.  If I were to replace the LBT Server computer, this is what I would replace it with:

*AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ 2.6ghz Processor
*3gb DDR2 800mhz Ram (will upgrade to 4gb since 32 bit can now address that much)
*500gb SATAII Hard Disk
*Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
*Lightscribe DVD-RW DL
*Integrated 24-in-1 card reader

It's A LOT better than the current LBT Server computer.  I would turn the current LBT Server computer into my new download computer.  But I have to ask myself if the LBT Server will actually be able to use that much power.  I know I certainly could if I was using it as a download computer, but if I can make the LBT Server better, shouldn't I?  *Sigh*.  I don't know what I'm going to do yet.  I also have another computer with identical specs to the one above except it's got a 4200+ 2.2ghz processor, but it has some issues with the fan.  The fan is ticking like crazy and I'm afraid to leave it on 24/7.  What do you guys think?  Should I upgrade the LBT Server computer to the one above?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
If you don't, will there be any serious drawbacks to the funsite? Cause if it ain't broke...