The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sonic games...

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
See topic title.

I'm probably in the minority that prefers the newer, 3D sonic games to the old ones. My favorites are both Adventure games, Sonic Heroes, Riders 1 and 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, Rivals, and Unleashed.

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I mostly enjoy the classic 2D Sonic games, though Sonic Adventure 2: Battle was my favorite 3D Sonic.  I also enjoyed Sonic Unleashed.

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://youtube.com/BigDealStudios
no Sonic game can beat Sonic Adventure
Heroes and Secret Rings were also awesome

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I'd have to say my favorite Sonic the Hedgehog video games are: Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood for the Dual Screen, Sonic Jam for the Sega Saturn, Sonic Battle for the Game Boy Advance, and Knuckles' Chaotix for the Sega 32x.

Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood boasts my favorite genre, the turn-based role playing game. It has a darker story than most Sonic games, and utilizes the touch screen well in battle. Unlike some RPG's, teams are customizable; you don't have complete teams set for you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Chronic...ark_Brotherhood

Sonic Jam contains Sonic the Hedgehog, 2, and 3, as well as Sonic and Knuckles. It also contains a 3D world with missions to unlock features of the game. The 3D level in Sonic Jam helped to produce Sonic Adventure, serving as a test for its features. This game also has extra content, like music and animations to enjoy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Jam

Sonic Battle is a fighter. You pick characters like Sonic, Miles (Tails), Knuckles, and so forth, and brawl like you do in games like Super Smash Bros.. Though for the Game Boy Advance, it offers multiplayer gameplay via a link cord. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_Battle

Ah, Knuckles' Chaotix. Though to be more precise, it is known as a Sonic spin-off video game, but it is still listed as a part of the Sonic franchise of video games. Tis my favorite Sonic video game of all, despite Sonic being, believe it or not, unplayable. Unlike other side-scroller Sonic video games, where multiplayer on one screen let's the secondary character get lost off screen, this game offers the unique game mechanic of being bound by a tether of power ring energy to your companion. Bound to your partner by a tether... Huh. Does that sound vaguely familiar to you The Legend of Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon fans? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuckles'_Chaotix

And those would be my favorite Sonic video games, though the last takes preference with my pleasure by a land slide. Later!

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle is by far the best of the 3D Sonic games released. It has just about everything (speed levels, treasure hunting, and mech combat). There is a nice balance between each level and it just overall kicks major ass!

Sonic Riders is definitely a creative take on the racing genre. Kind of the Mario Kart for Sega, the Air Boards are too awesome to pass up.

I am proud to be a Sonic fan and I enjoy ALL of the games no matter what bad things society will say about the 3D games.

Lilfut

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/JD_Fan_Forum/index.php?showuser=1
Ehh. I liked SA2B and the original 3, but not the others. I'm sorry, but Sonic quite simply does not work in 3D.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Nah...sorry guys! I'm an old timer when it comes to things like this. For me, Sonic was king back in the days of the side-scrollers. I like a few of the 3D renditions of the modern era but since I played Sonic's 2D adventures back in the day, nothing will ever crown those games in my mind. I'd say Sonic 3 and Knuckles was my fav title (the one where you could combine the 2 cartridges into one HUGE Sonic game). I like a few of the more modern games like Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle but to me, the other games are somewhat unthrilling.

As a developing company, Sonic Team were USELESS as creating a camera system that wasn't a bloody nuisence let alone worked properly :p That put me off a lot of later Sonic games. I hated Secret Rings coz the control interface was horribly buggy and inefficient. Most of the failures I racked up on that game was due to lack of control or the controls messing up. SA2B was great for action but the camera was a nightmare! Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) most players will deny existed because it was supposedly so weak. Sonic Unleashed was the first proper Sonic game I enjoyed playing again but even that doesn't fill the space the old school games did.

Call me old fashioned, but Sonic was great way back when. He's come a long way from the first platformer he starred in but for me, the modern accounts haven't quite captured the essence for me.

Lilfut

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/JD_Fan_Forum/index.php?showuser=1
Nah, Sonic Unleashed is either a God of War wannabee or a ROM hack designed by Hitler.

3D Sonic simply does not work.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
I was and still am a big fan of the original series. It was a definite part of my child/teenhood. I haven't played very many of the modern titles by contrast, although I did enjoy Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 at the time. Sonic Generations was fun too.

When I was a kid, my dad would often take me to visit my aunt and uncle and cousins, and they owned a Sega Genesis, with Sonic 1, Sonic 3, and Sonic & Knuckles (not Sonic 2, though I still got to play that one occasionally at a friend's house). It was probably my first exposure to Sonic, in fact, and it was always one of the highlights for me whenever I visited them. Even to this day, playing the games again, or even just watching someone else play them on YouTube, still brings back memories of my aunt & uncle's old house. It was years later when I found out the Sonic Mega Collection was coming to GameCube, and I got pretty excited. A chance to play the classics again, and my first time ever owning them myself. And on a Nintendo console, no less! Which was quite a novelty at the time. In fact, Sonic Mega Collection was my very first GameCube game.

It's been a long time since my last playthrough, a good several years ago now. But all of a sudden I was feeling inspired to play them again, and so that is what I am going to do. :DD

I started today with the very original adventure, still on my original GameCube Mega Collection disk even. Thankfully, Sonic 1 still holds up nicely. Getting all the Chaos Emeralds is a true challenge though. On this run I got 4 of the 6 emeralds. Total high score was 235,660. Might have to give this another go sometime to see if I can improve on that. ^^

In the meantime, onto Sonic 2...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 07:37:14 PM by StardustSoldier »

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I played only 6 six games: five first classic games (Four for Sega Mega Drive, and one for Sega CD), and recent Sonic Mania.
Kinda like them. I'm rooting for 2D games only.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ooh, Sonic Mania! Haven't played that one yet, although I want to.

But anyway, I did my Sonic 2 run. For a long time, I was never a big fan of the special stages in this one, compared to Sonic 1 and Sonic 3 where I enjoyed them a lot more. However, I realize in Sonic 2 it was mostly because I would always play with both Sonic & Tails. Which normally I like having Tails along for the main game, but then whenever you do the special stages, the AI-controlled Tails keeps crashing into bombs and losing rings and making a nuisance of himself. :anger So more often than not I would end up just skipping the special stages entirely and not even bothering with the Chaos Emeralds.

But this time around, I decided I would give the special stages another chance. And I even learned recently that, if Tails in the special stages wasn't already frustrating enough, it even increases the total ring quota needed. So ultimately, I did my playthrough as Sonic by himself. Sorry Tails! :cry But don't worry; you'll get to join in on the next adventure!

The special stages were definitely better than I remembered, but still pretty hard! Or maybe I just haven't had enough time practicing with them compared to the other games. I only got 3 of the 7 emeralds. Total high score was 361,050.

I then did a second playthrough, this time as "Knuckles in Sonic 2". As much as I always thought the lock-on alternate modes were a cool gameplay feature, I seldom ever played Knuckles in Sonic 2 in the past; normally when I'd play Sonic 2 I'd just do the normal mode with Sonic. But part of the appeal in the Knuckles version is not only his unique gliding and climbing, but it also lowers the special stage ring quota even further, and he retains his total rings after returning from a special stage instead of going back to 0, which I thought might help me this time if I was going to try collecting the emeralds again.

Still pretty tough, however! I got 4 of 7 emeralds. Total high score 400,260.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
However, I realize in Sonic 2 it was mostly because I would always play with both Sonic & Tails. Which normally I like having Tails along for the main game, but then whenever you do the special stages, the AI-controlled Tails keeps crashing into bombs and losing rings and making a nuisance of himself. :anger

ooooooooooh... you don't even know how much I hated it in early days... That's why I always played Sonic/Tails alone when I played with getting all Chaos Emeralds.

This comics perfectly describes it:

Btw, read them all:

https://www.notenoughrings.com/

Hope you recognize all issues and funny situations Sonic players met in childhood. :D I did.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let's talk about a certain character that I have come to adore.  Cream the Rabbit.

Here's the first thing I'll say about her.  She is THE most broken Sonic character out there.  Don't believe me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCsrUpD0BqU

And that's just her debut game.  She's basically the "I win character" in most of her early games.  However, I didn't really appreciate her until two games came out.  Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Riders.

First, let's talk Sonic Riders.  Not a great racing game, but one I do enjoy nonetheless.  You won't unlock Cream for a bit, but when you do... Oh my God!  I LOVE her outfit!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/658581145479445106/

It is amazing and I won't hear anything against it!

Second, Sonic Chronicles.  Now, this game is a failed RPG.  Seriously, it is not a good game.  I played it too much for my own good.  Anyways, in that game, Cream is an optional character.  There's a big reason for this.  She's the Healer of the group and having her on the team ensures you never die, given you master the inputs.

Start at 3:37 for Cream.

https://youtu.be/9EZjiKmtEtI?t=217

I find it a shame she was regulated to the side lines for most games.  She's mainly a cameo.  However, when the character is this broken, maybe there's a reason for that.

I like Cream a lot and I really wish she was playable in more games.  It's a crying shame, really.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 08:22:55 AM by pokeplayer984 »

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I see... You have to fix balance and enemy moves if you are entering new character that can shoot projectiles out of enemy shooting range...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
ooooooooooh... you don't even know how much I hated it in early days... That's why I always played Sonic/Tails alone when I played with getting all Chaos Emeralds.

This comics perfectly describes it:

Yep, that indeed sums up my own gameplay experience (and probably many others') remarkably well. :DD

Btw, read them all:

https://www.notenoughrings.com/

Hope you recognize all issues and funny situations Sonic players met in childhood. :D I did.

Haha, these were great! Thanks for sharing!

These were the two I laughed the hardest at.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
My favorite to this day is Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (GC).

Shadow the Hedgehog was the best new character since Knuckles and Metal Sonic.

Chao Garden made me replay the stages over and over.

The music was phenomenal! I love “Escape From the City” and “ Live & Learn.”

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith