The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

What is Your current job or future job

oogaboo · 104 · 25501

colby65

• Ruby
    • View Profile
My current position is a Server at a catering company. We handle black tie affairs and cocktail parties for well-to-do clients. That means that we must serve at the highest standard of service at all times. I have several years of experience providing wait service at such events.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
still on the same job. PHP programmer, making websites.
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Compsognathus

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Security guard. During day shift I sit in my "office", and check, who gets in area of the company, I communicate with drivers, visitors, who go inside, and make many phone calls to people inside for example, when someone has a deliver for them, or needs them. Regularly I meet foreign drivers, I like Polish drivers, because I learn this language, and it is a good opportunity to use it, some foreign drivers speak also english, worst kind of drivers are those, who cannot speak any languages that I speak, and I have to still tell them, where to go, and other things. But majority of drivers are still Czech.

I also do patrols, sometimes I check few cars, when they are leaving, and check something inside building, if it is alright, but checking building, and patrols are only on night shifts.
When no one is coming for a while, I do my own stuff, browse the internet, watch something, etc.

In the future, I want to be a receptionist at some international hotel, or company, where I will regularly meet a lot of foreigners, and with better wage, than security guard. Here in Czechia, security guard is a very low paid job, and I plan to find a better job in next two years.

gutza1

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Currently I'm in my final year of undergraduate studies for a major in Materials Science and Engineering, with minors in Physics and Mathematics. My long-term goal is to get a PhD, though my specific graduate path remains uncertain. What I do know is that my primary research interest lies in computational materials science: specifically, applying deep neural networks to solve difficult or even intractable problems for conventional simulations. I am currently doing a senior thesis project on using a convolutional neural network to predict the fission gas flux of a nuclear fuel sample given a 2D image of its microstructure, and I hope to continue this avenue of research from there. I have been programming since I was 11 years old and combining it with my knowledge of materials science could provide a powerful interdisciplinary approach to finding novel solutions for the field.

I will admit that my interest in this isn't purely science-related: I realized that neural network architectures could also revolutionize a lot of aspects of 2D animation or animation as a whole. As someone who would like to see this artform revived but has little drawing skill, I think it would allow me to contribute in my own way. I could get a patent out of this if nothing else.

As for my dream job, I have wanted to work at NASA or at some other US national research agency like Livermore since I was a kid. However, I am willing to settle for more independent research. Fortunately, the line of computational materials science does not always require access to high-end lab equipment like materials science in general requires, which gives me more options for employment.
"This song is new to me, but I am honored to be a part of it."
-Solanum

The Mr. E's science advisor and the GoF's resident spaceflight enthusiast