The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I really like this story and it is dark but in-line with LBT.

I kind of like how these particular Domeheads were portrayed as the "old guard" who happen to be extremely speciest and use slurs against pretty much everyone else.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
I wrote this earlier than usual, cuz writing and drawing helps me feel better. So I focused my writing to this. Hope you all like it.

Chapter 5

A small Fuzzer poked his little twitching sniffer out of his burrow and into the open. It was night and the time to forage was afoot. He felt especially hungry tonight as the previous night's forage didn't go too well. Hopefully, the Buzzers and Crawlers he came across would be easy for him to catch. The little fuzz-covered critter didn't know why the bugs were getting harder to find the past year or so; they just were. Well, no point in complaining, at least there were Crawlers to eat in the first place; it's better than no Crawlers at all. With the coast clear and no immediate threat of getting squished, the Fuzzer scuttled out of his home, ready to begin his work of clearing the Great Valley of its more vulnerable bugs. Running in bounds and stopping frequently, the tiny creature went around the sleeping bodies of dinosaurs, more than a little careful. After all, one shift in his direction and it'll be over for the critter. He had every reason to be wary. But at least here, there's no threat of sharpteeth.

His sniffer picking up the scent of a bug, the Fuzzer followed the scent eagerly up wind. Finding his target, he saw it was one of those long-bodied, four winged kind. One of his favorites, but the hardest kind of Buzzer to catch. He would have to be sneaky, very sneaky. Moving with incredibly slow steps, he snuck up on the bug from behind. A blindspot was almost nonexistant in this kind of Buzzer, but it pays to try to be at the spot of highest visual difficulties. Getting within range, he very quickly lunged and sank his teeth into the Buzzer. Success! Chewing and licking, this was more than a mouthful for this little creature, but that only made the accomplishment all the more exciting. This should be the same as eating ten large Crawlers! But through the crunching sounds of the shell, the Fuzzer's ears perked at a slight noise behind him, causing him to freeze before he remembered that it was safe here in the Great Valley. Probably just a sleep-walker or something. Continuing his meal, he heard the noise again and he turned just in time to see a pair of massive jaws rushing at it. A squeak of frightened surprise from his own throat was the last thing he heard in his life.

Cepher lifted his head, the small Fuzzer limp in his jaws before turning and heading back to his companions, who were waiting by the stream. Seeing Cepher approach from one of the pocket forests, they stood up to see what he caught and once they did, they tilted their heads in confusion.

"A Fuzzer?" Pacia asked.

"Why not a hatchling? Won't that be a bit easier?" Rus questioned in turn as Cepher dropped the lifeless body of his most recent victim. The lead Domehead gave a smirk and a slight chuckle at their confused inquiries and proceeded to answer them calmly.

"A hatchling would be easier, yes, but also more suspecious. We have to take this nice and slow if we're to fool anyone." He looked down at the body. "We'll leave the little sharptooth this little present and it'll no doubt start making him uncomfortable enough to question himself." He returned his gaze to the other two, who were beginning to smile in understanding. "Then, in a few more nights, we'll be a bit more generous and 'offer' him a more substantial present."

"A hatchling?" Rus asked, claws clenching and unclenching eagerly.

"Exactly." Cepher confirmed with a nod of his head, earning a few snickers from his companions before he picked up the Fuzzer's body, tossing it playfully a bit before turning towards the Secret Caverns where they knew the little sharptooth lived.

Walking casually with the body held within Cepher's fist so not to be easily spotted, the Domehead trio took the neccesary precaution of not drawing attention if a dinosaur happened to be having a restless night. Looking curious, if anything, they climbed up to the cave entrance and wandered inside. Almost immediately, they spotted the young sharptooth hatchling curled up in a tight ball, sleeping. Perfect. Not knowing just how much of a light sleeper the youngster could be, the large Leaf Eaters quietly inched closer before Cepher carefully put the Fuzzer down on the ground, sliding it inch by inch towards the young carnivore. Closer... closer... closer... As soon as the Fuzzer's body came in contact with the hatchling's arm, the child shifted, muttering something incomprehensible under his breath as he grabbed the Fuzzer and dragging it closer in a kind of hug before falling quiet again.

Smirking all the more, Cepher gave a nod to his comrades before they wandered deeper into the cave, satisfying the more genuine side of their curiosity. Coming across the Fast Runner hatchling, they went over to check if she was asleep too, which she was. No harm in making sure. Continuing their way, they were in complete awe at how beautiful this place was proving to be. It seemed the deeper they went, the more complex the caves were getting. Just as they were deciding to take these caves for themselves and drive out the resident hatchlings, they came across something peculiar. It wasn't obvious and could easily be missed, but it was nonetheless there. A narrow crevice, just big enough for the Domeheads to squeeze inside, which Cepher did without hesitation. Rus and Pacia stood by, waiting for him to return and tell them where the crevice went.

It was a tighter squeeze than he thought, but it didn't stop him from continuing. Luckily, he didn't have to endure this for long before he reached the other side and stepped out, dislodging a cloud of dust and rubble before shaking himself off. Scanning his surroundings, he knew instantly that this wasn't the Great Valley, having explored the said valley an endless amount of times. Seems there was a breach that led to the Mysterious Beyond. Already, his mind began working at how to take this as an advantage...and came up with an idea. Through his time in the Valley, he knew how obsessive the other Leaf Eaters were at blocking off every entrance that led to the Mysterious Beyond. No doubt an opening like this will catch their attention, as it was certainly large enough to let in Fast Biters. If he brought the other residents here with the oh-so-innocent intention of showing them what he found, they would end up finding the young sharptooth with the dead Fuzzer...

It really couldn't get any better than this. Chuckling darkly, he turned about and made his way back to the others. They helped him out and once he's shaken the dirt off himself once more, he grinned to his comrades.

"I have our next step."

Few Hours Later...

The Bright Circle began to just peek over the Great Wall as Chomper shifted in his sleep. Almost time to wake up; there was another great day of playing and adventuring ahead of him. Smiling softly in his still sleeping state, he then noticed something fuzzy and cool against him. That wasn't right. It took a moment for that to comprehend and he woke up enough to open his eyes drowsily and take a look. A Fuzzer in his hold...A limp Fuzzer... According to his sniffer, it was dead. Huh... His eyes closed again and it was a mere second later before they snapped open again. A dead Fuzzer? In his hold? How was that possible? Freaked out by this, Chomper instantly let go of the body and threw himself as far back as he could with a cry.

"R...Ruby?" He muttered quietly, staring at the corpse with great unease. When nothing happened, he called again with increasing desperation. "Ruby!"

"What is it, Chomper?" Ruby's sleepy response came as she wandered over to the young sharptooth's part of the cave. With a scared whimper, Chomper looked back at her and pointed to something. The Fast Runner gave a soft yawn as she wandered closer, rubbing her eyes a bit before spotting the dead body and gasping a bit. "What happened when this happened?"

"I dunno. I woke up and it was there. But I didn't do it, I swear!"

"Didn't do what?" A voice outside asked. The two youngsters looked over to see Mrs. Maia and some other adults coming into view by the cave entrance. Chomper knew this was practically the worst time for the grown-ups to arrive. And his assumption proved correct when they saw the Fuzzer's body. Most of them showed great shock with their eyes and mouths wide open and a few, namely Mrs. Maia and the familiar trio of Domeheads, glared at him. Chomper fidgetted in great nervousness, wondering what they were going to do to him. Were they just going to yell, or will they do something a bit more drastic than that? Would they drive him out? Would they kill him? His heart pounding in his ears, he shifted closer to Ruby, who in turn stood by him protectively.

For a long moment, nothing happened. But before Chomper could even think to speak in his own defense, Mrs. Maia turned to the Domeheads. "Did he have that when you three came in?!"

At this question, the Domeheads snorted in obvious irritation and crossed their arms with a few growls before the leader answered. "If he did have that when we came by, then we would've done something about it, don't you think?"

"The sneaky piece of dirt must've taken it after we left." The smaller male hissed, scowling down at the little sharptooth.

"He certainly is small enough to escape notice." A spikethumb added before the adults began muttering amongst themselves. Chomper trembled before gulping down enough of his fear to speak up shakily.

"N-No! I didn't do this! I swear!"

"Sure, you didn't." Mrs. Maia scoffed skeptically as she came closer and snatched the Fuzzer's body away from the sharptooth. "We'll see who believes you when we show them this." With that, she turned and walked out of the cave. The others began to follow her, each glaring at the young sharptooth and grumbling words of great suspecion. Chomper looked at each beseechingly, silently begging them to believe him, but none of them faltered. The only ones that gave even the slightest pause was the Domeheads, who merely gave him a small smirk before they too left. Chomper watched them go and then, it was just him and Ruby again. He looked up at his care taker.

"Ruby, I didn't do it. You believe me, don't you?" He asked. The Fast Runner looked at him for a long moment before nodding.

"I believe you, Chomper." She told him before holding him close in a hug. "I believe you..."

Later that Day...

Chomper was definitely feeling the tense atmosphere wherever he went. The word of his 'Fuzzer Attack' spread through the Valley faster than sky fire flashing through the sky and he caught many grown-ups shooing their children out of sight whenever he passed by. This happened on a few occasions even before the Missing Hatchling phenomena, but now it was happening much more frequently. He tried his best to ignore it as he made his way to his friends, but he couldn't. He was harmless; what did he have to do to prove it to them? He just wanted to yell how all this wasn't his fault, but he knew it'll only make things worse in drawing even more suspecious attention to himself.

Finding his friends sitting together and chatting, he wandered over.

"Hey, Chomper." Cera said in a kind of edgy greeting. "How was breakfast?"

"Cera!" Littlefoot reprimanded, giving her a hard nudge before smiling to Chomper. "Don't listen to her, Chomper. So, how was your day?" He asked for himself, wanting to change the subject to something that's hopefully a bit more on the positive side. However, his answer wasn't as 'positive' as he was going for.

"Terrible. None of the grown-ups would talk to me and they still don't believe that I didn't do it." He told them.

"Well, my dad said you were caught with a Fuzzer and if I remember correctly, Chomper, Fuzzers are one of those things you weren't allowed to eat." Cera continued.

"But I didn't do it!" Chomper defended. "I just woke up and there it was! I don't even know how it got there!" With a sigh, he looked down to his feet as Littlefoot glared at Cera for her words. She wasn't making anything better and it's clear that their friend was upset. But then Cera did have reason to her suspecions. After all, except for Chomper's words, there wasn't much to support the notion that it wasn't his fault. But Littlefoot was a loyal friend and Chomper's words were enough proof of innocence for him. The little sharptooth never lied to him once and there's no reason to believe he would start now. The others were busy considering which side of the story to believe. They didn't want Chomper to get in trouble, but...

"Maybe Chomper no do it on purpose." Petrie stated. "Like Guido when he sleep-walk."

"You mean..." Chomper began, looking a bit confused. "...I did it in my sleep?"

"Of course not, Chomper." Littlefoot reassured.

"Maybe." Cera said immediately after. "Think about it. The grown-ups said you didn't have that Fuzzer thing when they checked last night. Then this morning, you had it. I think you sleep-hunting is very likely, especially since you're a sharptooth."

"Cera!" Littlefoot once more reprimanded, beginning to get frustrated with the young Threehorn and her suspecions. They were supposed to be supporting Chomper here! Not accusing him of something that might not be his fault in the first place!

"What? It's true!" She shot back defensively, not planning on budging from her assumptions any time soon. Unless some hard evidence shows otherwise, everything pointed to it being Chomper's fault.

Chomper sighed as the two began to argue before Ducky came over and gently put a hand on his side. "Do not worry, Chomper. Everything will get better eventually, yup yup yup." She told him with some emphasizing nods. The young sharptooth paused for a moment before giving a soft smile at the Swimmer's reassuring words.

"Thanks, Ducky." However, his mind was flooded with thoughts, each considering the previous words of his friends. He was glad Littlefoot was still on his side, but how long will it last? Already, some of the others, namely Cera, was turning against him. And what of Petrie's words? Was it really possible that he could be sleep-hunting? That couldn't be true...could it? He obviously wouldn't know if he was doing it in his sleep. He considered asking Ruby about it, but realized that she wouldn't know either. Well, whatever the case, he had to do something before everyone in the Valley was completely and utterly against him. His fate practically depended on it.

It was decided. Tonight, he was going to put his sniffer to the test and find out what was really going on.

END OF CHAPTER 5

"Fuzzer" is a complete made up word, since I don't know what the dinosaurs would call mammals. Anywho, I hope you guys enjoy this chapter.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Very nice chapter FBS!  :)  Even though you could've just sat there and did nothing with this story because you were to sad about ya know... you choose to update this, so I say, thank you. :)

Okay, those domeheads are ticking me off! Grr...heh heh, I wonder how Chomper's gonna get outta this one. Heh, anyway, update soon!

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
I loved the opening narrative in this chapter, with the POV of the mammal. It reminded me of the Aegialodon chapter in Raptor Red. (I’m guessing that Chomper is the reason for the bug shortage the mammal noticed. :p) Poor little guy. It’s a shame he died, too. :( Yet this scene was different enough from the one with Lambie in Chapter 1 that it still felt fresh and interesting. :yes

Just a couple of tiny nitpicks regarding the chapter subdividers (I swear I can’t think of what those things should be called): “Few Hours Later…” should probably have an “A” at the beginning, and the “that” in “Later that Day…” ought to be capitalized.

Also, just for future reference, the word “suspicions” has no ëe’ in it. ;)

Nice job on the scene where Chomper talks to his friends. The tension evident in the meeting felt very realistic. I think Cera’s kind of getting a bad rap for her objective views on the situation; as far as I’m concerned, she’s just looking at the whole thing from a realist’s point of view. Still, she seems to have an “Occam’s Razor” philosophy of considering only the most straightforward and obvious explanation for lack of evidence for an alternative, which is very much in character for her. I also liked Petrie’s idea that Chomper was hunting in his sleep. Good to see that his natural fearfulness hasn’t gotten the better of him yet.

Still, even if the gang were to convince the grown-ups of their sleep-hunting idea, it won’t help Chomper much if the domeheads succeed in framing him for the murder of a hatchling. (From the gang’s perspective, even if Chomper were only hunting in his sleep, it would mean that he could possibly be a threat to them.) I’d imagine that Cera would be the first to flip out in such a scenario.

Quote from: FlipperBoidSkua,Feb 24 2011 on  01:32 AM
"Fuzzer" is a complete made up word, since I don't know what the dinosaurs would call mammals.
Not a bad choice, in my opinion. :yes I should add it to the LBT Glossary. I can think of a few other options, too: “fuzzball”, “fuzzy squeaker”, the possibly canon “tickly fuzzy”, and just “fuzzy”. :p

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Before, I didn't really think much about those three domeheads. I had just considered them unimportant characters incorrectly portrayed as carnivorous (hence the sharp teeth) and didn't really give them a second thought. But after reading this story, I officially despise these three. I liked them much better when they were just non-speaking domeheads with a diet confusion or territorial attitude.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
^ Umm…so what does that mean as far as your opinion of the story? :confused Are you saying that FlipperBoidSkua did an effective job at making the domeheads into real villains, or that you just don't like her portrayal of them? :unsure: No offense, but it's hard to tell whether that was a favorable or unfavorable review.

Sorry; not to be rude or anything; I'm just concerned about a potential misinterpretation of your comment leading to hurt feelings.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
My comment is not intended to be an attack. I'm just not fond of overly racist, or in this case, speciest, characters. It's not the story I don't like. I just don't like the domeheads.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Are you going to continue this story? I really like it.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This fanfiction has been nominated by its author to be rated for the fanfiction awards 2011. To all the readers and fans of this fanfiction, please rate and review it! :)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
The long awaited next chapter is up! Sorry for the long wait :oops , but I promised to continue this story and I ain't gonna stop until it's complete, no matter how long it takes!!

Chapter 6

Nightfall couldn't have come fast enough. Chomper sat in his cave, staring out as the Great Night Circle rose to join the Lesser Lights in the sky. It was a beautiful and clear night, without a single Sky Puffy to hinder the luminence of the silver glow washing over the valley. For a moment, he was content with the sight, a smile gracing his snout. If only the day could be this peaceful, without the hostility of the grown-ups... He wondered if things will ever be the same, if he'll ever gain the full acceptance of the Valley. Ah, who's he kidding? He's never had the full acceptance of the valley, being what he was... Well, there was no harm in wishing it.

He should get going. Hopefully, he'll be able to find some answers before the Bright Circle reclaims the sky. Standing up, he glanced back over his shoulder as if expecting Ruby to show up at the last second before glancing about at the rest of the cave. Now, where should he begin? Perhaps he should try to pick up that Fuzzer's scent, try to figure out if there was anything suspicious about it. Wandering to his sleeping spot, he lowered his sniffer to the floor and began inhaling deeply, carefully evaluating the smells that overtook his nose. He immediately cast aside his own scent as that wasn't important. Now which one... Ah ha! There's that distinctive warm, Fuzzer smell. As expected, it also carried the scent of death...and blood... and...Domeheads?

Pausing in confusion, he sniffed again, just to be sure. Yup, he recognized that scent easily, as it's been fearfully imprinted into his mind. It was smell of the Domehead trio, the leader to be exact. But that's stupid; why should that scent be associated with the Fuzzer? After all, the trio did come into the cave the night before. It was most likely a coincidence that their scent overlapped those of the Fuzzer. Satisfied with that conclusion, he ignored the smell completely and focused on tracking where this Fuzzer came from. Concentrating, he followed the scent, lifting his sniffer from the ground to the air. The Fuzzer scent was faint and it was a bit difficult untangling it from all the other smells. Luckily, Chomper's gotten plenty of practice and it showed as he trailed the Fuzzer's scent for quite a distance. Through a clearing, towards a pocket of trees, all the way...to a hole in the ground.

Stopping in his tracks, Chomper blinked and slumped a bit. He's been led to the Fuzzer's home, the end of the trail. Well, he supposed he shouldn't be too surprised; nobody said this was going to be easy. He should spend some time thinking of what he's gathered so far. During his tracking, he did find a half-eaten body of a Flying Buzzer, covered in the little fuzzball's scent. Taken into account that that's where the Fuzzer's death smell originated, he could make the logical assumption of where and how the Fuzzer was killed. Seemed to him that it was an ambush attack, with barely any time to react. Was he capable of... He didn't have to finish that sentence. He's had plenty of hunting practice, on critters much larger than a Fuzzer. He's fully capable of attacking a Longneck of Littlefoot's size, and have a fair chance of succeeding. Although the vast majority of sharpteeth would be proud to say that, it was bad news to Chomper. If he really was sleep-hunting, what's to stop him from hurting his friends? No! No, he wasn't sleep-hunting! There had to be another explanation! Forcing the troubling thoughts to the far back of his mind, he resumed his investigation, searching the area for any clues that might give him a lead.

Nothing so far, and he began widening the range of his exploration. Although it would no doubt take him forever, he was quite willing to search this entire Valley if need be. He just had to find evidence that he was innocent; to prove that innocence to Cera, to the grown-ups, and most importantly, to himself. And if it turned out that he was guilty of sleep-hunting...well...

No more negative thoughts! Had to stay positive! Shaking his head to snap out of his contemplative daze, he paused as he heard noises up ahead. What the...? Shouldn't everyone be sleeping by now? Keeping silent, he let his curiosity get the best of him and slunk forward into the undergrowth. Still moving carefully so as not to stir even a single leaf, he took a peek into the clearing before him and stiffened, keeping in a whimper. It was the Domeheads. Frozen where he was, he was much too frightened to move a muscle, definitely not wanting to take any risk that could mean getting caught. He only wished that he was still thoroughly hidden and completely out of sight.

"You know, this is the first night we can actually get some sleep without those stupid meetings..." Pacia started, hissing under her breath as she watched her companions circle each other. "And you guys are honestly gonna waste it with another one of your little games?" Sometimes, the way the male mind works confused her. They outta be asleep by now and here they were glaring at each other. But despite her use of wording, this was no game. Like many groups, arguments can break out and when it came to Domeheads, those arguments were usually settled with means of violence. Even the smallest issues, like taking another's resting place, had the potential to spark a confrontation.

She should be used to it by now. True, they were all very close friends, but scenarios like this happened on more than a few occasions. What can one expect with a species this naturally aggressive?

It started when the trio started to bed down for the night. Usually, Rus slept nearest to Pacia and the female was never bothered this. Yes, it was clear to her that Rus liked spending time by her side and she suspected he even had some sort of crush on her. She didn't really feel the same, but she enjoyed the companionship nonetheless. This night was to be a peaceful one for once, with the trio finally taking a break from their schemes, but that changed when Cepher decided that he was gonna sleep by Pacia this time. Rus, however, started to put up a fight to that decision and thus sparked the current events. Cepher was not appreciating the fact that the younger male was defying his orders completely and was intent on putting the smaller dinosaur back in his place. Rus didn't particularly intend it to go this far, but he still wanted to reserve his right to sleep where he pleased, including next to the object of his affections.

Stupid reasons if you asked Pacia, but who's she to interfere? Despite its 'stupid reasons', this was indeed another leadership battle and she would do best to stay out of it.

Kicking up a small cloud of dirt, Rus made his charge for a head-on attack. However, it didn't go quite according to plan when Cepher simply lowered his own head, braced himself, and took the attack. His hind claws digging into the earth, the larger dinosaur barely budged and merely pushed the attack away. Growling in frustration, Rus stumbled before regaining his footing. However, doing so was in vain as Cepher made his own charge and rammed into the smaller dinosaur's side, knocking him down completely. That outta do it. But the underdog was not to be so underestimated and he sure as heck ain't going to give up so easily as he rolled back to his feet and made another charge. This time, Cepher charged back and a loud impact was heard echoing throughout the clearing. Head-to-head, pushing and shoving, snorts of exertion was added to the growls of the fight as both Domeheads tried to make the other lose ground. But neither was willing to back off.

Finally the two seperated, only to collide heads not a second later. For a while, this process was repeated with no real gain or advantage to show. However, on what must've been the tenth impact in a row, something began to change. Cepher finally took that fateful step back. Rus sensed this and allowed a smirk to grace his snout. He could win this, he could definitely win this! Gathering up every bit of strength, he began taking steps forward, forcing his leader back even farther. Even Pacia stopped her head shaking and widened her eyes at this revelation. Could it be...?

Turns out it wasn't anything but false hope for Rus. Cepher merely gathered all of his strength in turn and took his own steps forward. Rus grunted in surprise at this and tried his best to push Cepher back to where he was. But it wasn't working as he was pushed even further back, claws leaving deep furrows in the ground before finally, the larger dinosaur gave one more shove strong enough to knock Rus backwards. Falling onto his back from the force, the young male took a few seconds to comprehend what happened. He was so very close to winning, he almost tasted victory! Now here he was on the ground. But even now, giving up wasn't an option and he rolled over with the intent to get back on his feet. However, he felt something on his neck as Cepher planted his foot there, glaring down at the smaller Domehead.

"Stay down, Rus. I've been gentle with you so far; don't force me to hurt you because you know I'd rather not." Seeing he had no other choice, Rus closed his eyes with a slow exhale and accepted his defeat, making no move to get back up. For a moment, everything was still; not even the wind blew through the undergrowth. Giving a small smirk, Cepher continued, his voice less threatening and more in his usual firm tone. "You've got a lot of spunk, but you're a little too rash. Gain experience and learn from your mistakes, then maybe you'll have a chance at beating me."

Finally, Cepher removed his foot from his companion's neck and reached out a hand. Rus was silent and still for a moment, contemplating Cepher's words of rebuke, before reluctantly stretching out his own hand and allowing his superior to help him back up. Immediately, Cepher turned away to lay down next to Pacia and Rus, still a bit sour from his loss, moved a bit away to settle, curling up to keep himself warm as he started to grumble under his breath. But overall, peace was restored amongst the group and Pacia once more rolled her eyes before laying her head onto her arms to sleep, the other two following suit soon after.

After a long while of absolute stillness, Chomper finally felt his body begin to loosen up from its frozen state. Keeping down a shiver of fear and a sigh of relief, he waited a few more moments to make certain that the three grown-ups were deeply asleep before moving forward cautiously. He had witnessed the whole confrontation and naturally did not like it. Just watching it gave him a headache. However, despite that, he could swear he smelled something peculiar in this clearing and he needed to find out what it was. He knew he had to be very careful, as one wrong move could wake the Domeheads and spell disaster for him. Tip-toeing around and amongst the sleeping Domeheads, he placed his snout to the ground and quietly drew in air. There's that smell. It was faint, but still there. What was it? Perhaps he should make it stronger and thus easier to identify. As softly and as silently as he could, he began scraping the ground and immediately the smell became familiar.

Blood...

Leaf Eaters probably won't be able to detect it, but his sharptooth nose was more than powerful enough to broadcast it to his brain loud and clear. What was the smell of blood doing in this clearing? Were the Domeheads aware of it? Probably not, if they chose to live here. For a tense moment, Chomper was unsure of what to do or what to make of this. Should he tell the Domeheads that they were sleeping someplace that could be dangerous? Giving them warning would be the right thing to do. But even then, he knew that wouldn't be a good idea. If the Domeheads knew he was here, trespassing on their clearing, he'd be in big trouble.

Unfortunately, he didn't really have time to contemplate much more as one of the Domeheads gave a yawn and shifted position. Those movements was enough to send the already-flighty sharptooth packing as he dashed off as fast as he could. Emerging from the undergrowth away from the clearing, he decided that he probably had enough excitement for one night. Maybe he should head back home before he got into some real serious trouble, as his already-crumbling reputation couldn't afford such a thing. Eager to put distance between himself and the Domeheads, he dashed off towards his cave, looking over his shoulder frequently as if paranoid that the trio would come after him. Memories from their first encounter unpleasantly flashed in his mind and he was hardly paying attention to where he was going when he bumped into something big and he cried out on fearful instinct.

"Chomper? What're you doing out so late?" It was Mr. Thicknose, who has taken up guard duty tonight. Chomper wasn't sure if this incident was good or bad. Mr. Thicknose was one of the few adults that was still nice to him. Sure, the old dinosaur gained a slight edge of wariness around Chomper, but he still remained friendly to the young sharptooth. For that, Chomper was incredibly grateful. In a stressful time like this, he needed all the friends he could get. Even though he'd probably get reprimanded for staying up way past his nest-time, he was glad it was Mr. Thicknose that he ran into.

"Oh, hi, Mr. Thicknose." He greeted softly, fiddling with his claws. "I...I was looking for...something." At this, he lowered his gaze to the ground. Mr. Thicknose tilted his head at this, wondering what could be so important as to wander around this late. He was about to voice one of his many questions when Chomper muttered, "Mr. Thicknose, what do I have to do to prove that I'm a good sharptooth?"

There was a long moment of silence as Mr. Thicknose tried to think of an answer. He knew the sharptooth sought advice and reassurance, but would it be alright to give the youngster false hope? To teach him that despite every hardship, things will always work out for the better, when that's not always the case. For a split second, the old dinosaur felt torn on how he should reply. He always had a reputation as being a very wise dinosaur, among the wisest of the valley, but perhaps he should show a different side...

"I don't know, Chomper." He started, to which Chomper responded by lowering his gaze to his feet. "Perhaps there's nothing you can do. The others will believe what they want and trust me when I say that it's sometimes extremely difficult to earn their trust back..." For a moment, he trailed off sorrowfully, remembering about the lies he once told the Valley about traveling everywhere and knowing everything. He knew better now, but a few of the other residents still had their doubts of him. And he knew the same held true for Chomper... Actually it's much worse in the young sharptooth's case.

"I mean... I know I'm not doing anything wrong, that this whole thing's just...you know, a misunderstanding. But no matter what I do, not a lot of the grown-ups believe me." Chomper sighed, one of his feet lightly pawing into the ground below him. "You still believe me though, don't you Mr. Thicknose?"

Again, another moment of silence, this one much heavier than the last. In this silence, Chomper felt his heart skip a beat. Has he lost Mr. Thicknose's support too? What did he do wrong? Was it because he was wandering around past his nest-time? Well, it seemed to be the latter as the elder dinosaur made his reply gently. "Well Chomper, as a friend, I want to say that I believe you completely. But... some of the things that's turning up is making me question." He shook his head softly and his gaze became more tender. "Chomper, if you are innocent, then you must help yourself by not drawing attention. Like now, for instance. You're wandering around at night when these hatchling disappearances are happening. It's quite suspicious and if it was someone else that caught you..."

Mr. Thicknose needed to say no more. Chomper nodded softly, knowing the grown-up had a point. Gee, he must look pretty bad right now and if Mr. Threehorn or Mrs. Maia caught him, it'll just make everything worse. He hoped dearly Mr. Thicknose won't tell the other adults and would keep all this a little secret. Only one way to know...

"Are you gonna tell on me?" He asked softly and shakily, frightened at what the answer might be.

"Depends on what you're doing out here, Chomper." Mr. Thicknose continued, his usual firm but gentle tone returning. Chomper felt an instinctive relief. He was being given a chance.

"I was just trying to find out what's happening. I know everyone blames me for everything, and...and I just want to prove to them and myself that I'm a good sharptooth! I was hoping that I would find something that can help me!" Chomper explained, his words growing more passionate as he went. Nothing can change the fact that he's a sharptooth, but for the life of him, he was going to prove to everyone and to himself that nothing could be bad about him. Absolutely nothing!

Mr. Thicknose picked up on the child's growing confidence and he couldn't help but give a smile. Somehow, he couldn't believe the little one was lying to him. Everything about him, at this very moment, screamed innocence. "Very well, Chomper. I won't tell anyone about tonight. I respect that you're trying to take matters into your own hands, but remember: you must be more careful. Next time, you might not be so lucky." He glanced up at the sky, seeing that it was already very late indeed. "Now head back to your nest, Chomper. Tomorrow could be another big day."

"Okay." Chomper said with a happy grin. Yes! He still had Mr. Thicknose on his side! The old dinosaur could prove to be a big help later on. He couldn't help but hug the old Leaf Eater's leg in gratitude before heading off towards his home cavern, throwing a quiet, but enthusiastic 'Thank you!' over his shoulder.

So tonight didn't really turn up any good leads. The strange smell of blood in the clearing could mean anything and he'll have to investigate it further tomorrow...preferably when the Domeheads weren't home...

END OF CHAPTER 6

First time I've ever written anything concerning Mr. Thicknose. So please excuse me if I made any OOC-ness.  :unsure: Anywho, seems the Domeheads aren't immune to conflicts within their own group. And Chomper almost got in trouble! Hopefully the next chapter can be as kind to him and Mr. Thicknose was! :)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Another chappy here. This one has a small shout-out to Pangaea; see if you can catch it (hint: the idea was from the "In the Land Before Time" RP ;) )

Chapter 7

Sleeping in isn't really something Chomper did on a daily basis, but he couldn't help it given that he stayed up exceptionally late last night in his investigation. Normally he would wake up pretty early to join his friends, who in turn seemed a bit worried at his absence. Ruby had visited him on occasion to check up on him and although she did try to wake him up in concern a couple of times, he barely bothered to stir. It was only a few hours after he was left in peace that he showed the first signs of consciousness. Curling up in a tight ball as he hugged his tail, snuggling his nose against it, he gave a soft yawn as eventually his mind began to awaken on its own. Fluttering his eyes open, he wondered what time it was before giving a stretch and standing. Rubbing his eyes, he wandered out the Cavern as he glanced up at the Bright Circle's position. It was almost at the very center of the clear blue sky; it felt so weird waking up this late.

Slowly recalling what happened last night, he remembered the bloody smell from the clearing and felt his heart jump as he was about to make a dash for that very spot. But luckily his common sense returned to counter that enthusiasm and he skid to a halt, his claws leaving small furrows in the dirt. He can't just go charging in there; what if those Domeheads were still hanging around? They will not appreciate hearing that he's been sneaking around, even if it was for their own good. Crestfallen, he felt a sliver of fear go through his body before he slowly made his way to the Domehead's clearing. No harm in making sure they were gone, just in case he would be free to investigate. He certainly couldn't believe that he almost made that foolhardy mistake and he soon found that if he had gone through with that rash decision, he would've been in deep trouble as he spotted that the resident Domeheads were indeed still home. Somehow tensing up in fear and breathing a sigh of relief at the same time, he tried to look casual as he walked by, giving the clearing what he thought would be a respectable distance, the three Leaf Eaters glaring in his direction. With a soft whimper, he sped up to wander passed the clearing, hoping desperately his chosen distance was good enough so as not to be chased off. To his great fortune, the Domeheads let him go without a single growl.

"You think that's suspicion or fear?" Pacia asked with a malicious smirk as they watched the sharptooth hatchling hurry off to wherever he was heading to. No doubt he was going to play with those stupid friends of his, completely unaware of what future they held for him.

"Fear, most definitely." Rus said with great amount of satisfaction as Cepher gave a thoughtful grunt, crossing his arms as he evaluated what he picked up from the hatchling's demeanor.

"Could be a combination of both…" he told them as the young sharptooth disappeared completely from sight. His tail twitching a bit, he looked over at his two companions. "We'll keep an eye on him," He gave his own smirk. "And we'll keep him so fearful of us that he'll have no room for suspicions."

This got a snicker from the others as they resumed their resting in the shade. Being midday, it was a very lazy hour for them and relaxing in the shadows of the trees was always a good way to pass the time. Pacia rolled her eyes a bit with a smile as Rus made a point in laying beside her, but Cepher paid little mind as he began contemplating their next move.

"We'll give it a few more days to catch up on our sleep." He began. "Then we'll take another round of guard duty so we can find our dear little sharptooth 'friend' with an unexpected gift in his claws." The other two nodded, eager to carry that part of the plan out as it'll amuse them to no end to see just how the little hatchling will react waking to find another dead body in his grasp. That look would be worth a thousand Tree Sweets and with that in mind, they rested the heads down, for once peaceful …

Chomper glanced back over his shoulder to make certain that he wasn't being chased before he sighed and let his arms goes limp at his sides. That was a close one; perhaps he'll have better luck on his side at another time. Till then, he'll just have to carry on with his day, like usual. Finding Spike feeding on a poor hapless bush, he wandered over to the young Spiketail, who didn't seem to notice him as his head was currently buried in his Green Food. It always amazes Chomper how much Leaf Eaters eat in general, but Spike exceeded even that amazement by eating way more than what was usual. He never seemed to get a stomach ache or anything from eating so much; just where does he put it all? Tapping the larger dinosaur on the side, he smiled as Spike pulled his head out of the bush and turned to look at him, mouth full of leaves.

"Hey, Spike. Can I ask you a few things?" he questioned, delighted when the laid-back mute nodded and sat down, swallowing his leaves. "Remember yesterday? When the grown-ups were mad at me?"

Spike nodded again; in fact, he still had the sense that the grown-ups were still mad at the little sharptooth. While Chomper was still asleep, the gang was warned about the dangers of being with him by several adults, but none of them really took it to heart. Why should they turn their backs on one of their friends just because some grown-ups told them to? That wouldn't be real friendship! Taking another bite from the bush, he was still all ears as the younger child continued.

"Firstly, you don't think I'm doing all this, do you?" That was a question he couldn't help asking. He knew where all his other friends stood, but was still uncertain of Spike's position. The Spiketail paused as he looked the sharptooth over, chewing thoughtfully. Although he tended to be influenced by the opinions of his friends, and certainly the opinion of his older sister, he did have a mind of his own. Others like Cera probably didn't think so, but he was a very observant soul; that's part of the reason why he chooses not to talk as doing so will only get in the way of truly connecting with his environment.

To him, Chomper just doesn't have it in him to hurt anybody, at least not intentionally or willingly. Spike knew his companions incredibly well in terms of personality and he had a pretty reliable sense of character judgment, and Chomper just didn't fit in with what the grown-ups are saying. Maybe when Chomper is older and bigger, he could possibly be a threat; but even then, Spike couldn't see him harming the dinosaurs of the Great Valley and certainly could not see him hurting his friends. So…

Chomper felt another weight lift off of him as Spike shook his head; he was so glad he had another friend on his side. He certainly couldn't afford anymore doubt; Cera and the grown-ups were more than enough for him. Forcing his way through his wave of happiness, he continued on with business. "Well, I've been thinking about what Petrie said, you know, about the sleep-hunting thing. What if that's what's happening? Do you know how to help, or someone who could help?"

Spike got a thoughtful look on his face, humming a bit as he took another huge chunk of the bush, stripping off almost all the leaves in that one chomp. Thinking calmly, he recalled someone else who had a sleep-walking issue; in at least one occasion, it even got them in trouble in the Mysterious Beyond. Surely, that someone would know what to do! Giving his friend a nod, he stood up and pushed right through the bush he was previously eating, easily flattening it as Chomper followed close behind. The two children traveled a little ways off, Chomper trying to ignore the looks he was getting and he wondered where Spike was taking him. The young Spiketail stopped at a tree, looking high up in the branches and making a long cry in a beckoning tone.

A few seconds later came a response from the tree-top. "Spike? Is that you?" Chomper immediately recognized the voice as Guido came into view from a hollow in the tree. The teal-colored Glider looked down and spotted Chomper, immediately looking nervous as his crest flattened against his head. Nevertheless, he gave an uneasy smile and shaky wave that made Chomper feel disheartened, despite the greeting. "Hi, Chomper…"

"Hey, Guido." The sharptooth greeted back as he waited for Guido to ask whether he was still friendly or not so he can reassure him. The Glider always gave that inquiry upon every meeting with the young sharptooth, always wanting to make sure he wasn't in any danger. But the Glider didn't ask that this time, and Chomper wasn't too surprised really. No doubt the prickily bundle had heard of the recent events and it showed in the fear present in his current demeanor.

"S-so…" Guido began, staying safely on his branch. "What brings you two here? Where's everyone else?" He glanced about, always used to seeing the whole gang whenever they came to visit.

"I asked Spike if he knew someone who could help me, and he took me to you." Chomper stated, seeing some surprise in the nervous pseudo-Flyer. He tilted his head. "Petrie says you sleep-walk?" Even before this whole mess, Chomper has heard a little bit of Guido's strange tendency to wander off in his sleep, but he never would've put much thought into it if it wasn't for Spike's guidance. Surely, the Glider will hold the answer to his problem!

The question brought an almost embarrassed smile on the small dinosaur's beak and he rubbed the feathers on the back of his neck. "Yeah, heh, a little, I suppose. Apparently, I also sleep-fly and I almost got eaten for it on at least one occasion that I know of…" Oh, those were terrifying memories and he gave a soft shudder at the thought of that sharptooth's open jaws that came so close to swallowing him whole. Unwilling to relive that unpleasant reverie, he returned his attention to the present day and asked with genuine curiosity. "Why do you ask?"

"Well, I think I might be sleep-walking too." He purposely left the sleep-hunting part out as he didn't wanna freak out the already jumpy critter. "I was wondering, how do you keep yourself in your nest?" Chomper asked, relieved to see Guido relax a bit. At least now, the Glider knew that he meant no harm being here and only wanted some advice.

Offering a more whole-hearted smile, Guido went back inside his hollow for a moment before returning to his perch, holding a vine in his hands. "I tie this to my leg and then tie the other end to this branch. That way, when I sleep-walk I have to stay in the tree…Although that isn't always the case…" Again, another embarrassed smile came to his face as he recalled a few times when he woke up dangling upside down between the branch and the ground. That situation was less than dignified, but at least it was better than waking up lost in the Mysterious Beyond, or worse, inside the belly of a sharptooth…

Chomper only needed a mere second to contemplate that idea before beaming. "That sounds good! Thanks, Guido!"

"No problem, I guess…" Guido replied as Chomper and Spike turned to leave before he piped up again. "Wait! Um…" He hesitated when Chomper turned back to him. Wringing his hands, he knew he had to question Chomper about this. "About what's been happening, uh…" He tried to find a way to phrase this without being insulting, although he knew it would probably be useless. "You're not really doing all these horrible things, are you? I mean, I'm not saying that I think you did, I'm just wondering…"

Chomper looked down at his feet, reminded of how fragile everyone's trust in him was; it made Guido's heart ache and he regretted asking in the first place. But the words were already out there and he could only wait for Chomper's answer.

"No, I didn't. I mean, I don't think I did. Some think I'm…sleep-hunting, that's why I wanted help to start with." He looked up at Guido and gave a soft smile. "But I think we solved that problem now."

Guido felt his heart lighten again, knowing Chomper wasn't too upset with him for asking. If the young sharptooth really was sleep-hunting, at least everything will be okay again. And to think, he contributed to the solution; it made him feel all good and warm inside. Giving a returning smile, Guido glided down to the duo, landing skillfully on the ground by them and placing a wing on Chomper's shoulder in a trusting gesture.

"Good luck, buddy." He encouraged, handing him the vine and causing Chomper's smile to grow. Hope was far from lost, so long as he was willing to fight for it alongside his friends…

A Few Nights Later…

It seemed his plan was working, really genuinely working! Getting ready to sleep, Chomper tied his vine to a thin stalagmite before tying it around his ankle, careful not to make it uncomfortably tight while at the same time making sure it'll hold him. As much as he could gather, since he started using the vine, there have been no new killings going on in the Valley. After enduring so much stress the last couple of days from the adults, it felt good to know that things were getting back to normal. Curling up in his usual ball, he closed his eyes as his mind flowed peacefully, fading gently as he fell into deeper and deeper states of unconsciousness.

But although he felt good that his plan had worked, his subconscious wasn't too thrilled. After all, if his plan was working, then that meant he really was responsible for the killings. He never wanted to acknowledge that fact in his waking hours, so it chose to surface in another way. Shifting a bit as his subconscious began voicing its reasoning through his sleep-stories, he tried to ignore it all even as the unpleasant images echoed through his sleep-filled mind:

He was in the Valley, but it looked incredibly different. Everything was darker than even the blackest of nights. The sky was covered in ominous grey Sky Puffies, spitting out Sky Fire that set the landscape ablaze. The air was thick and it felt like he could hardly breathe although he was getting his air all the same. He didn't know where in the Valley he was, but he did see his friends. He wanted to call out to them, but something even more disconcerting was happening here. His best friends were running scared, as if he was Redclaw. And indeed, he seemed to have grown to the size of the giant sharptooth, much to his horror. That horror could only grow as his predatory instincts tried to take over, tried to break through the restraints Chomper tried so hard to build in his day-to-day life.

He didn't wanna hurt them at all, but for some reason he couldn't speak, at least not in Leaf Eater. Every word out of his mouth was in sharptooth tongue, and they weren't the words he wanted nor were they in his own voice. No matter what he said, all that emerged from his throat were horribly savage words, telling the frightened morsels, -his best friends!-, how they're all going to die. Unable to control himself, he gave chase as they ran, the landscape shifting to trap them in a dead end very similar to how he trapped them back home on the island.

There they were, cowering at his feet, looking for all the world like defenseless little hatchlings. And indeed, they were literal hatchlings as he lunged down upon them with open jaws, their screams ringing in his ears as he bit down with a crunch…

Waking up in a jolt, it took a moment for Chomper to register that the scream was still echoing through the air and it took even longer for him to catch his breath. It was just a dream, but… Turning his head towards the entrance, the scream was cut off and he stood, compelled to investigate. It couldn't have been the Hatchling Phenomenon starting up again, could it? He was here and tied up! Or maybe…

Realizing the possibility that it could've been someone else killing off the children, he untied the vine and wandered out of the cavern. Cautiously, knowing he could possibly be dealing with another sharptooth, he headed to where he swore that scream came from. It sounded close, but he knew he had to hurry, as the night guards were no doubt going to check it out as well; from what he heard, the Domeheads were the guards tonight and he certainly didn't want to cross paths with them…

Here, he was certain this was where the scream originated. It was a small clearing, and there were fresh hatchling tracks on the ground. This had to be the place! Relying on his sniffer, he sought out the most recent scent of a baby and picked out a Swimmer hatchling of some sort. There was also another disturbing scent intermingled with it: Domeheads. Strange that no matter which victim he sniffs for, there was always their scent in association with it. Narrowing his eyes a bit in confusion, he focused on the hatchling scent and began following it, finding the trail was mostly in the air, as if the little one was being carried. And the Domehead scent was still very persistent; it was almost like…

He almost wasn't paying attention to where he was going until he heard hushed voices just up ahead. Tensing at the familiar sounds, he silently slunk forward into some undergrowth and peek out carefully. What he saw sent horrible chills down his spine and it took everything he had not to whimper. For right there in front of him was the terrifying Domehead trio and there, held tight in the leader's grasp was…

"That no-good hatchling nearly woke the entire valley." Rus growled silently, glaring at the limp body of a small Big Mouthed Swimmer. Cepher shushed him as he stayed tense, listening for any signs of someone hearing that scream. There was nothing so far, but he couldn't be too certain just yet. Turning back to the other two, he hissed under his breath.

"Alright, let's take this thing to that sharptooth. With any luck, everyone who heard will link that scream to him instead of us." Receiving nods from his companions, he was about to depart for the Secret Caverns when he heard a sharp snap.

Chomper felt his heart practically stop as he heard a twig break in half under his foot when he tried to back away. Frozen in terror and hardly able to breathe, he saw the Domeheads snap their attention to his clump of undergrowth and he almost whimpered when they advanced towards him to investigate. For an instant, he didn't know what to do: stay here and he'll get caught for sure. Run and he'll still get caught. Stay. Run. Stay…

He dashed off as fast as he could, hearing the murderous Leaf Eaters give chase…

END OF CHAPTER 7

Nuuuuu!!! Chomper, ruuuuuun!!!!!

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh my.... I read this only a year ago and now you've updated it! And I must say what a great chapter it was... I can't wait for the next one! :DD

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm working on the next chappy right now!! Though I probably won't submit it until I'm sure most everyone's had a chance to read this one!

It also greatly surprises me how you and other readers have been so patient with this story. *hugs* Thank you so much for that, and of course for commenting!!

Mr Wonk

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm working on the next chappy right now!! Though I probably won't submit it until I'm sure most everyone's had a chance to read this one!

That's alright I do the same thing with my fanfiction.

It also greatly surprises me how you and other readers have been so patient with this story. *hugs* Thank you so much for that, and of course for commenting!!

Well I'm happy that your happy. I never knew you where here on the Gang Of Five Forums so this right now is a great day for me to meet you. :lol I read this story back around december time last year when I got back into The Land Before Time. So it's not been that long. But I did worry if it was going to be updated or not. :p

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Yes! The story's back on line!

Chomper's in deep trouble now!

I hope he gets away and alerts the whole valley to what those creeps were up to!

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
That's alright I do the same thing with my fanfiction.

The hardest part for me is waiting part! I'm done with the next chapter but I'm forcing myself not to submit it yet and it's torture! :lol

Well I'm happy that your happy. I never knew you where here on the Gang Of Five Forums so this right now is a great day for me to meet you.  I read this story back around december time last year when I got back into The Land Before Time. So it's not been that long. But I did worry if it was going to be updated or not. 

Spread the happiness!! Yeah, I've been here for a year or two now, I'm just not too terribly active, especially lately.

Waiting since December still seemed like a long time for me! So your patience is awesome! And don't worry: I love emphasizing that no story of mine is ever dead; they're just in a coma until I show interest again :DD !!

Yes! The story's back on line!

Chomper's in deep trouble now!

I hope he gets away and alerts the whole valley to what those creeps were up to!

You bet this story's back on line. I think I might actually finish this story soon! ....Key word being 'might', who knows how long this burst of interest lasts! :D

Chomper better run like he never ran before! Keep holding on to those hopes and we'll see what happens by the end! *is NEVER going to give away spoilers!!*

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll let you know I'm still following this story too, and I can't wait for that new chapter! :D

This is getting intense now. I sense this is about to get REALLY bad for Chomper.

Are you going to submit this story again for his years, Fanfiction awards? Uoi only have to this Thursday to submit, if you do!
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I can't wait either, but I gotta be fair to those on FF.net as well as this site!

Yay, it's getting intense; the cliff hanger is effective!!

I've been considering that, but I don't think this story was updated enough through the year to bring in any new material for voting. Perhaps next year when this story will most likely be complete. :)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Here's the next chappy! If all goes well, I should be getting new chapters out every week! :DD

Chapter 8

This was by far way more terrifying than their first encounter. Don't get him wrong, that first pursuit was pure terror, still fresh in his mind; but this encounter was altogether very different. When he first came across them, they were just ordinary Leaf Eaters in his mind. When they tried to kill him, Chomper could've at least understood the reason behind it, and was regrettably almost used to it. But now, he saw them as real cold-blooded killers, murderers, for reasons he couldn't understand. Why would Leaf Eaters kill a Leaf Eater hatchling? It wasn't natural! These creatures weren't natural!

Pushing his legs as fast as they could go, he risked a short glance behind himself just in time to see the smaller male leap at him with claws intent on digging through his skin. With a cry, he instinctively threw himself out of the way, rolling into some undergrowth. His eyes were starting to fill with tears and he did his very best to keep them back so they won't hinder his retreat. Scrambling to get to his feet, he carefully slunk through the undergrowth as if he was stalking a Buzzer, but done a lot more urgently. Hopefully, the plants above him will shield him from sight…

Claws tore through the vegetation directly over him and he cried out as he took off, those same claws barely missing him as they attempted to grab him. Not knowing where was safe, Chomper dashed off in a random direction. Where should he go? What should he do? How was he going to get out of this? He didn't know the answer to any of those questions; right now, he was listening only to his instincts and they were telling him to keep running…

And also, to fight as he felt teeth sink into his tail and he screamed in pain as he looked over his shoulder to see who caught him. Realizing it was the female Domehead, he allowed a sharptooth growl to escape his mouth, his body on autopilot as it didn't particularly care about breaking his promise again. This was life or death, just like before; except this time, nobody was here to save him except himself and the very sharptooth nature he's been burying for so long. Turning around, he sank his own teeth into her muzzle, barely being careful to avoid the twin horns on her nose. Hearing the Domehead's muffled cry as well, he felt his feet leave the ground as she stood back up, attempting to shake his teeth from her snout. But Chomper had no intentions of letting go until she let go of his tail first, instinctively raking his claws against her skin, every one of his actions easily drawing blood.

Her scream only seemed to encourage him for an instant, but the action of screaming has caused the Domehead to release his tail and Chomper forced himself to stop and let go, landing on the ground and dashing off, only to be cut off by the smaller male. His intense fear just as strong as ever, he tried to retreat in another direction, only to be cut off by the leader. Glancing back at the female, he saw that she has recovered and was now glaring death at him. Struggling to catch his breath, he cried out on pure instinct, his words pulled from the very depths of his being.

"Mommy! Daddy!"

For an instant, the Domeheads seemed tense, before they realized that the sharptooth had no parents here to protect him; that desperate cry typical of a hatchling was completely useless. But still, Cepher glanced about with a soft hiss, aware that others could very well respond to the noise. Glaring back at the trapped sharptooth, he spoke with an incredibly sharp tone.

"Someone shut him up before one of those stupid Valley idiots actually start caring!" he snarled, Pacia nodding with a particularly malicious look in her eyes, nearly her entire muzzle covered in blood.

"It would be my pleasure." She stormed up to the sharptooth, who growled at her and attempted to bolt again. Luckily, she caught him, claws clamping onto the back of his little neck so as not to be bitten again. Vengefully, the female Domehead shoved the sharptooth's snout right into the dirt, muffling his cries and sobs. Rus immediately went to the nearest Tree Sweet tree, taking some vines and a fruit before walking up to the struggling sharptooth.

You're gonna die, you're gonna die! Keep fighting! You have to keep fighting! Those thoughts were practically screaming in Chomper's head, but no matter how much he struggled, he couldn't get free of the claws that held him. He was getting dirt in his mouth and he couldn't even spit it out as his sniffer was still being driven painfully into the ground. But then, there was some relief as the female allowed his head to shift and he spat out the dirt and pebbles in his mouth, immediately crying out.

"Let me g-!" That demand was cut off by a Tree Sweet being shoved into his mouth, so far in that it almost choked him and the fruit was large enough to take up his entire mouth. His teeth had punctured the skin of the fruit, drizzling horribly disgusting juice into his maw. He tried to spit it all out, but he couldn't manage it as it was wedged too tightly. Tensing his jaw muscles, he bit down on the fruit, seeing no other option. The Tree Sweet smushed between his teeth, his mouth flooding with the sickening juices and pulp and the large seed almost choking him.

Unfortunately, before he could spit the nasty piece of plant out, the smaller male tied his muzzle shut with a vine, smirking sadistically as he did so. Whimpering, Chomper couldn't bring himself to swallow as he knew it would only make him incredibly sick; too sick to really defend himself. Even holding the Tree Sweet in his mouth was torture and tears flowed freely down his cheeks as he felt his hands and feet being tied as well. Well, this was it. They were going to kill him, and he'll soon join the Swimmer hatchling still in the leader's grasp…

"That's good enough. Now let's get out of here." Cepher told his companions, casting one last look around before running off towards their clearing. Rus followed and Pacia took off after him, still holding the young sharptooth in an intentionally rough hold. The hatchling was still struggling despite his bonds, but neither of them paid any attention as they arrived in the home territory. Without missing any amount of time, Pacia threw the sharptooth against a tree, the hatching's muffled cry barely echoing passed the surrounding vegetation. Turning to Cepher, the others wondered their next course of action. Capturing the sharptooth had not been part of the plan at all, nor was said sharptooth supposed to have seen them with the hatchling Swimmer. Just how much did the stupid little critter see?

Cepher walked over to the hatchling, pulling the creature upright and pushing him hard into the tree to force him into a sitting position. The sharptooth whimpered and only looked up at him with terrified, tear-filled eyes and it brought a smirk on the lead Domehead's face. "You're quite a nasty and troublesome little sharptooth, aren't you?" He taunted, bringing the dead body of the Swimmer to the youngster's face. "You feeling hungry?"

The sharptooth responded to this with a teary glare, his anger showing easily in his fear, before turning his head away. Cepher growled in amusement before lifting a claw and turning the sharptooth's gaze back to him. "Then am I to assume you're enjoying that Tree Sweet?" he continued with his taunts, chuckling darkly as the sharptooth took on a sickened look, an obvious answer to his question. So the little one was starting to grow ill from the fruit… That's good. Then they can use it to their advantage.

With that little piece of info, Cepher immediately turned to business. "I can let you spit it out, sharptooth. We need to have a little chat with you, and for that we'll have to remove that vine." He caught a glimmer of hope in the sharptooth's eyes, no doubt hoping to call for help once his mouth was freed, and it felt all the more satisfying to squash that pathetic little hope. "But if you scream, we'll shove another one in there. If you scream and bite, we'll find a Tree Sweet that's a bit more on the…poisonous side." He snickered at the look of horror on the hatchling's face before he finished his statements. "Knowing that, I'm sure that even an idiot sharptooth like you will be smart enough to cooperate, yes?"

Seeing no other alternative, Chomper nodded. Keeping the Tree Sweet in his mouth was starting to take its toll. His head was starting to hurt and his stomach was trying to rid itself of the Crawlers he had for dinner. He couldn't take it anymore and, despite himself, he felt a bit of relief when the lead Domehead slipped the vine off his snout, the little sharptooth wasting no time spitting the disgusting stuff out of his mouth. There was still the after-taste to deal with, but at least the Tree Sweet was gone. He of course had the urge to scream, but he knew better than to make that mistake, lest the Domehead makes true on his threat.

His coughs and gags settling down, he wondered just what these Domeheads had in store for him and already his mind was swimming with possibilities, most of them having to do with bloodshed. He shuddered and his fear still wasn't going anywhere as the Leaf Eater before him growled out a question that Chomper almost missed, his mind so preoccupied contemplating his fate.

"How much did you see, sharptooth?" For a moment, Chomper didn't respond. Not really out of defiance, but because he was easily confused in this high state of extreme stress. When he did manage to choke something out, it was in a shaky mutter.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." This earned a growl from the Leaf Eater, as if he thought Chomper was purposely testing him. The youngster tensed up, anticipating some more pain, but none came as the large dinosaur in front of him changed his question.

"What were you doing following us? Someone of your size really shouldn't be out so late." He told him, and Chomper couldn't help but feel a spark of irritation. 'Someone of your size'? What did he mean by that? He was not little! But that issue took the backseat in this situation and Chomper tried to find his voice again, not wanting to see how much patience his interrogator would have for him.

"I heard a scream and I only wanted to find out where it was coming from…" Tears were starting to well up again, but he held them back. "But I didn't find anything… So I used my sniffer and I found you guys…"

"You saw nothing else?" the Domehead growled sternly, glaring into his eyes even as Chomper shook his head.

"No. That's all I saw, I swear." No way was he going to say that he knew exactly how that Swimmer died; although he was pretty sure it was the truth, he saw no gain in accusing them of murder. In fact, that'll probably only make things worse and this situation needed no help in that department.

"He's lying!" the smaller male exclaimed, the female wasting no time nodding in agreement. Feeling his heart skip a beat, Chomper shook his head desperately, unable to keep himself from piping up.

"No, I'm not!" he defended, still hoping beyond everything that his words will count for something. The leader's glare at him never faltered, and Chomper stared right back, trying to keep himself from breaking in case the Domeheads will take that as a sign of deceit. After a long moment of silence, the leader snorted and looked over to his companions.

"I suppose it doesn't matter either way. He has still seen too much and we can't afford him sticking around much longer."

A wave of fear crashed over Chomper as a whimper escaped his throat. Those words certainly had a very threatening ring to it, and he was certain that these might be his last moments. Gathering every bit of air, he tried to choke out some more words, his tears finally breaking loose as he began to sob. "Please…Don't hurt me…" It came out as a soft, pleading whisper and it surprised him that the Domeheads heard it at all.

Giving a smirk, Cepher shook his head as he placed the Swimmer's body on the ground. "We won't be the ones you'll have to worry about, sharptooth. Only those that you so foolishly call your 'friends'." Reaching out behind their captive's back, he felt the sharptooth tense up as he untied the young one's claws, only to tie them up again in front for easier access. Taking the Swimmer's body again, he shoved it into the sharptooth's hold. "Mind taking that for me?"

The child tried to drop the body, obviously wanting nothing to do with it, but Cepher wasn't going to let him. His own claws forcing the sharptooth's grip tighter, he saw blood start dripping from the body. Shifting his grasp, he dragged the sharptooth's claws down the body, forcing the young one to mangle the corpse and stain himself with its blood. The carnivorous hatchling tried to pull his hands away, and almost seemed about to bite. Cepher wasn't bothered by that and even took advantage of the child's obvious urge to snap by ripping the Swimmer free of his grip and shoving it into that eager mouth.

It took a moment for Chomper to realize what just happened and he immediately let the Swimmer's body go and turned his head away. Unfortunately, he wasn't having a say in this at all and the large Domehead pushed the body insistently against his mouth. Chomper refused it and kept his jaws clamped tight. However, he soon felt claws prying it open and although he tried to struggle, it did not good as the body was pushed back inside. He was about to spit it out again when those same prying claws closed around his snout, keeping his mouth shut against his will.

Sobbing even more, he felt blood trickle in his mouth, replacing the Tree Sweet's disgusting after-taste with its more appealing saltiness. Although his sharptooth nature naturally craved more, he felt revolted by it. This was the same kind of Swimmer as Ducky; who knows, this might even be one of her younger sisters! It made him feel even sicker than he already was and he wanted the body out of his mouth much more than that Tree Sweet. In fact, he'll take another disgusting plant over this any time. But, mercifully, after what seemed like forever, the Domehead removed the body from his mouth and Chomper choked up on both his tears and that horribly delicious taste still plaguing his tongue.

Still whimpering and sobbing, he glanced up at the Domehead, who was examining the torn body thoroughly, and the little sharptooth tried to choke out some more words. "No more…"

"We have all we need." The Leaf Eater responded with a growing malicious grin. Chomper shook his head, trying to throw off the heavy tears tickling his cheek, and he continued his shaky attempts to speak with the question that's been plaguing his mind since finding them earlier that night.

"Why...?"

The Domehead turned his attention to him, his grin never once leaving his snout as he gave the answer Chomper wasn't looking for. "That's not really any of your business, sharptooth."

Feeling claws grab the scruff of his neck again, Chomper had little fight left in him even as he was picked up and carried off to who-knows-where. "My name's Chomper…" was the only thing to leave his bloodied mouth, and even then it wasn't as defiant as he intended it to be. Regardless, he was ignored as the trio left the clearing towards the Longneck nest. But it seems they didn't have to go that far before they ran into an old rival.

"What's with all the noise? Some of us are trying to sleep, Domeheads!" Mr. Threehorn growled as he glared at the trio, the leader of which seemed to be holding something behind his back.

"Your precious sleep can wait, old-timer. Gather your insignificant friends and arrange another meeting." Cepher growled back in his typical dominating fashion, much to Threehorn's increasing agitation.

"What're you talking about?" the impatient dinosaur huffed, only earning a smirk from the Domeheads as Cepher threw something at Topsy's feet. Glaring at the trio before looking down to see what they presented, his eyes widened and his jaw dropped as he saw a blood-covered Chomper staring imploringly up at him, the mangled body of a baby Swimmer laying right beside him…

Later That Night…

The Rock Circle has never been so crowded as it seems that every Leaf Eater in the Valley, adult and children alike, has made efforts to attend the meeting. Many of the youngsters looked confused as to what was going on, their parents glaring towards the center of the circle, where Chomper stood free of his bonds next to the incriminating evidence beside him. He certainly didn't want to be here, and he was well-aware that his fate rested in the hands of those around him. It wasn't a good feeling, especially since the vast majority of them were obviously wishing him dead.

As soon as everyone was accounted for, Grandpa Longneck reluctantly started to speak, clearly upset despite trying his best to remain calm with this situation. "Tonight we gather to decide a…sentence… against Chomper for…unspeakable crimes against the Valley…" It clearly took a lot of will to say that, as Grandpa cared very deeply for Chomper and it pained him greatly to say those words. Looking down, he saw Littlefoot huddled by the leg of his grandma, distress and uncertainty written all over the young Longneck's face.

It certainly brought great pain to Chomper as he looked around at the faces of his friends. All of the gang, even Cera whom has accused him several days before, looked incredibly shocked at what was going on around them. Chomper could even feel a bit of disappointment radiating from them, especially from Mr. Thicknose, who couldn't even bring himself to look him in the eye. Unable to take it, Chomper spoke up.

"But I didn't do it! You have to believe me!" he shouted, only to earn a reprimanding glare from Mrs. Maia.

"Don't speak unless spoken to, sharptooth." She hissed. Chomper reluctantly closed his mouth as the Domehead trio spoke up for their part, expertly hiding their true sinister nature as Cepher retold what happened earlier, taking liberty to bend the truth.

"We were out on our night duty when we heard a loud scream closeby the Secret Caverns. I'm pretty sure at least some of you air-heads have heard it echoing through the Valley," This got some mutters from the crowd, many of them agreeing that they indeed heard that scream. "Of course, we felt the need to investigate and who should we find but this piece of dirt killing the child."

"That's a lie!" Chomper interrupted desperately, pointing accusingly at the Domeheads, knowing his future was at stake. "You all-"

"Silence!" Mrs. Maia once more reprimanded, her glare enough to remind Chomper of his place and he fell silent again, a mixture of fear, rage, and despair welling up inside of him. He had to tell everyone the truth, but he supposed that he'll have his time to speak. At least, he hoped he would…

The sharptooth silenced, the trio continued, Rus picking up where his leader left off. "We tried to intervene, but it was too late to save the young one. The sharptooth tried to run, but we certainly wasn't going to let him get away with such a crime."

The other Leaf Eaters nodded, returning their glares at the sharptooth, who remained focus on Grandpa Longneck. The old dinosaur stared back, sympathy heavy on his aged face as he spoke. "You may now speak, Chomper."

The young sharptooth wasted no time, putting every bit of everything he had into his words. "I swear, I didn't do it! I was in my nest sleeping when I heard the scream! I went over to see what it was; I-I thought it would be something that can help clear my name! I found a clearing and sniffed for the hatchling! My sniffer led me right to them!" He pointed to the Domeheads. "They had the Swimmer and I know, I KNOW that they're the ones who killed her!"

There was a heavy silence as confusion etched itself on the Leaf Eaters' face before a hostile chorus of laughter rang through majority of the adult crowd. A Leaf Eater killing another Leaf Eater was practically unheard of in this day and age, especially in such a peaceful place as the Great Valley. This sharptooth was out of his mind if he thought they were going to buy that story.

"Now why would we want to do that?" Pacia countered, her taunting smirk blending in well with the atmosphere around them. "This whole thing took place far from our territory, and even if it was closeby, we chase, not hurt, and certainly not kill."

"You wanted to make it look like I did it! It was you guys the whole time, with the Fuzzer and the hatchlings! It was all YOU!" Chomper defended with all his might. "I bet it's because I bit you, huh?" He was looking right at Cepher, angry tears starting to well up again. "You don't like me because I bit you and now you're trying to get rid of me! I know it!"

"Those are heavy accusations over petty things." Cepher retorted with a growl. "I don't care that you bit me; I've been bitten by sharpteeth who can swat Buzzers bigger than you, kid. So unless you have proof, you have nothing to argue against."

"I do have proof! The Fuzzer still had your scent on it; the clearing you live in, I smelled blood in there, lots of it! Even this hatchling will have your smell on it!" Chomper exclaimed right back, not backing down from this critical debate. But that debate would end sooner than he would've like as Cepher made a final point with malevolent calm, not even skipping a beat.

"Of course that hatchling there would have our scent; we've been in contact with it when we caught you. As for your other claims, no one here has ever smelled any of the scents you're pointing out. Apparently, only you're picking it up so either your sniffer is broken, or you're just lying to save your own skin."

Silence as Chomper's heart fell. He had forgotten that his sharptooth nose was stronger than the Leaf Eaters; they couldn't smell what he could smell. Even the highly trained Spike would have difficulties picking up the scents Chomper could so easily identify. With a mountain of evidence against him, and nothing to support him, he took another approach.

"You guys have to believe me," Chomper muttered, looking to his friends and the few adults that had supported him. "I didn't do it… I admit, I don't really know why they're trying to get rid of me, but you have to believe me, please!"

Even more silence fell, except for the sniffles coming from Chomper and the rest of the gang, who couldn't do anything in defense. Even Littlefoot wasn't so sure anymore; he wanted so much to believe what Chomper was saying, but looking at that poor baby Swimmer who so tragically lost her own life before it really began…he just couldn't. The evidence was just too great.

Finally, after a long moment, Mr. Threehorn spoke up. "I'll be the first to say that I've never been too fond of having you here, Chomper. But like everyone else, I tolerated you as you've shown yourself to be different from the other sharpteeth we've all come across. We all trusted you, Chomper." Glancing down at his daughters, noting the tears on their faces, he found it a bit hard to finish, but pushed through regardless. "But you've betrayed that trust, and worse, you choose to lie to us all instead of telling the truth. You've been a decent sharptooth up to this point and you're still a child yourself, and taking those into account, I say your punishment be minimized…"

This got a very tiny sliver of hope through the dense fog of despair inside Chomper, but even that was crushed with the next sentence.

"Chomper, you're exiled from the Great Valley for the rest of your days."

END OF CHAPTER 8

:cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Awww! *start bawling like a baby*, thati so sad, I hate it when these sort of things happen, the innocent is framed, and the guilty get off scot-free, but it is very well written, you should take a career in writing, specifically drama and crime, poor Chomper, I always thought something liket this would happen.  :cry  :cry  :cry  :cry