The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Guilty Until Proven Innocent

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Ouch. So Chomper narrowly avoided the death penalty?

Chomper's in really deep s--- now!

And those three Domeheads are some of the most sadistic villains I've ever seen in an LBT fan fic.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, poor Chomper. :cry

This get's me to thinking what's going to be happen next. Is Chomper going to go into hiding inside the Great Valley?

I wonder what will happen if the Domeheads keep eating hatchlings. Is the Great Valley going to start having doubts? Are they going to start accusing Littlefoot of harboring a sharptooth?

Just some thoughts. Anyway, still following this, and can't wait for the next part!
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Banishing Chomper may have been the best move on behalf of himself and the Great Valley residents and the worst move against the domehead trio. With Chomper around, the domeheads were pretty much safe from suspicion because they had a scapegoat, someone who was more likely to take the blame.

But without Chomper, now the domeheads are suddenly left with no scapegoat. I would imagine that the Great Valley entrances would be heavily guarded to keep Chomper out, especially if more killings occur and he is blamed once more. So Chomper would no longer be able to even enter the valley, let alone commit any of the crimes he was blamed of.

So yeah I'm more or less glad that Chomper got banished. That would basically free him of persecution if further killings occur. The valley residents can't keep blaming him if he's not even in the valley anymore. And it would leave the domeheads with less defense if suspicion begins to fall upon them.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1125195/Flipper_Boid_Skua
I'm gonna submit this chapter a day early cuz I got work tomorrow and I tend to die on my bed for the rest of the day when I get home from work, sooo....

But first, replies:

Awww! *start bawling like a baby*, thati so sad, I hate it when these sort of things happen, the innocent is framed, and the guilty get off scot-free, but it is very well written, you should take a career in writing, specifically drama and crime, poor Chomper, I always thought something liket this would happen.

Yes, it is very sad when thing like this happen, especially in real life.  :(

I always wanted to publish my own work, but I have little confidence in their success. :unsure: But compliments like that really raises my spirits, so thank you so much!!

Ouch. So Chomper narrowly avoided the death penalty?

Chomper's in really deep s--- now!

And those three Domeheads are some of the most sadistic villains I've ever seen in an LBT fan fic.

Yup, barely missed it by a hair; Chomper better start counting his blessings cuz he could've gotten it a lot worse...

They're one of the most sadistic you've seen?! :blink: Wow, coming from such a fantastic author as you, all I can say is thank you :D !!! It means that I portrayed that particular trait of their characters very well. *hugs*

Yes, poor Chomper.

This get's me to thinking what's going to be happen next. Is Chomper going to go into hiding inside the Great Valley?

I wonder what will happen if the Domeheads keep eating hatchlings. Is the Great Valley going to start having doubts? Are they going to start accusing Littlefoot of harboring a sharptooth?

Just some thoughts. Anyway, still following this, and can't wait for the next part!

Those are certainly very good questions and you have to read on to find out. :smile  Luckily, I'm only one and a half chapters away from finishing the whole story, so you won't have to wait too long to read more!!

Banishing Chomper may have been the best move on behalf of himself and the Great Valley residents and the worst move against the domehead trio. With Chomper around, the domeheads were pretty much safe from suspicion because they had a scapegoat, someone who was more likely to take the blame.

But without Chomper, now the domeheads are suddenly left with no scapegoat. I would imagine that the Great Valley entrances would be heavily guarded to keep Chomper out, especially if more killings occur and he is blamed once more. So Chomper would no longer be able to even enter the valley, let alone commit any of the crimes he was blamed of.

So yeah I'm more or less glad that Chomper got banished. That would basically free him of persecution if further killings occur. The valley residents can't keep blaming him if he's not even in the valley anymore. And it would leave the domeheads with less defense if suspicion begins to fall upon them.

Hey, DH!! Haven't heard from ya in a while! :DD

You certainly make an excellent point in pointing out how banishment is a good thing for Chomper as a whole, although Chomper certainly won't feel that way himself. Also, you're other points have been a question asked to me by several others, and now I'm gonna answer some of it in this chapter!  :D

Anyway, next chappy:

Chapter 9

'Chomper, you're exiled from the Great Valley for the rest of your days.'

Those words had hit him like a giant boulder crashing from some mountain side onto his tiny body. Chomper couldn't believe what was happening to him. He knew that eventually, he'll have to leave the Valley, but he never thought it would be like this. He wanted the separation to be under his own will and with loving goodbyes and tearful promises of happy reunions. Well, he got the tearful part, at least. Standing by one of the Valley's exits into the Mysterious Beyond, Chomper's soaking wet face looked back over his shoulder, where the crowd of Leaf Eaters stood a distance behind him.

They weren't chasing him off, but he wasn't going to be allowed to come back in. With a strong, sobbing shudder, he looked over at the Gang of Five, knowing this will be the last time he'll ever get to see them again. It was even more difficult than their last two goodbyes, where there was always going to be the chance of meeting again and those farewells were made on good terms. This time, there will be no chances and this was far from being on 'good terms'.

The gang at first stood where they were, before Littlefoot separated from them and wandered over to him, offering the little sharptooth a saddened smile and before Chomper knew it, the other members of the group came over as well: first Ducky and Spike, then Petrie, and last but not least was Cera, whom ignored her father's gruff warnings as she approached. Looking to each of them as he remembers all the fun they once had together, Chomper just about broke and he threw himself against Littlefoot, hugging the Longneck tightly. Eyes heavy in tears, Littlefoot lowered his head to Chomper in his own hug.

"I don't wanna go…" Chomper whimpered, burying his face into his very best friend.

"I know… I don't want you to go either, but…" Littlefoot choked a bit before finishing. "But the grown ups said you have to."

Almost reluctantly, Littlefoot backed from the hug to allow Ducky and Petrie to embrace their soon-to-be-lost friend, tears flowing like Fast Water down each of their eyes. Spike wandered over with a mournful whine before licking Chomper's cheek as if wiping away the younger child's tears, and the little sharptooth gave the Spiketail a tight hug on his muzzle. His tears were still flowing despite the comforting licks as he recalled their last one-on-one encounter involving Guido, knowing that it all proved pointless. Pulling away, Chomper looked over to Cera, who turned her head away. It wasn't that she didn't wanna look at him, he can tell. No, she just didn't want the others to see the wet droplets of salty water trickling down her cheeks. Not bothered by this, Chomper walked over to her and held his arms up.

Cera looked at him from the corner of her eyes, still fighting to hide those tears that insisted on traveling down her face despite her resistance. Even though she always knew it was him ever since he's been found with the Fuzzer, it still didn't erase the bond between them. And severing that attachment was too painful to truly do, no matter the circumstances. So eventually she gave up on the proud gesture altogether and reach out with a front paw, gently pulling the sharptooth closer so he can hug her. She usually didn't like hugs or such, but this was different and she was willing to throw away her need for space for this moment.

"When I grow up, I'm gonna show those Domeheads who's boss, just for you." Cera muttered with a soft smile, attempting to make him feel at least a little better, and it seemed to work a bit as it earned a half-choked giggle from her little pal as he pulled away. But no sooner had he done that that the others gathered round in a last group hug, with Chomper in the very middle of it.

Choking up a bit as he was held from all directions, Chomper smiled as best he could, reveling in the embrace before the others finally and unwillingly began pulling away from him. Feeling as though his heart has broken in two, he turned back towards the Mysterious Beyond, feeling a supportive hand on his shoulder. Looking up, he saw Ruby standing beside him, giving him as best an encouraging smile as she could.

Knowing that at least one of his friends was coming with him made it better, but also harder at the same time. It felt like he was tearing apart Ruby's friendship too. Yes, she had to watch over him and that meant going with him wherever he stayed, but that meant she had to leave too. Well, at least she can come back whenever she wants…

Taking a deep, shaky breath, Chomper took the first steps towards his banishment, trying his best not to look back as he felt he'll never be able to leave if he did. Just keep walking ahead…

"Bye, Chomper," Littlefoot muttered, his voice almost a whisper. "We'll always remember you..."

Hearing Littlefoot utter those final words and picking up the rest of the gang sniffling their agreement, Chomper couldn't take it any longer and took off running as fast as he could, eyes still stinging with tears.

"Chomper, wait!" Ruby cried out in surprise, taking off after him. He didn't want to wait and it didn't take too long at all before the two disappeared from sight, leaving their best and only friends behind…

A Few Hours Later…

It's morning now, with the sunrise beginning to peek through the mountain ridges. Sitting by a water hole, Chomper was alone for the time being. Ruby understood that he needed some space and time, so she kept her distance, staying close enough to keep an eye on him, but not so that it would bother him. The young sharptooth sighed as he poked his reflection with a claw, causing the image looking back at him to ripple. Why did he have to be a sharptooth when he tended to get along better with Leaf Eaters? If he was Leaf Eater, he was sure this whole thing would've never happened…

He still couldn't believe what happened. It just didn't seem possible that what had happened was real. It all felt like it could be some sort of strange sleep-story and that he'll wake up soon; wake up and see that he's back in the Secret Caverns, ready to fill the day with fun and games. Wasn't it just yesterday that he was playing with the gang, so carefree of all his problems for the sake of scoring a goal and winning it for his team?

This could possibly be the worst day of his entire life.

Stupid Domeheads… Everything was absolutely perfect in his life before they came along. And he still wasn't sure why they did this! It probably wouldn't be so bad if he knew! At first, he thought it was because he bit their leader, but they made it painfully clear during the meeting that that wasn't the case. Was it because he was a sharptooth and they just couldn't let it go? Or maybe…

His eyes narrowed a bit as he thought of something he hadn't considered yet. Those Domeheads had killed that Swimmer hatchling; they killed the Fuzzer; and he was certain they were also responsible for all the other deaths. What if, just what if those weren't the only killings they've committed? What if they've been doing this before reaching the Valley? And then, when they saw that he was around, they took advantage of it to shift the blame away from them? Suddenly, all the pieces were starting to come together and it made a great deal of sense to him. Why hadn't he thought of it before? He was probably too busy being terrified and desperate at the time…

But one thing still didn't make sense: Why would those Domeheads want to kill Leaf Eaters when they themselves were Leaf Eaters? He didn't have to think too hard on that one; those Domeheads had made one thing perfectly clear during their stay and that was how much they hated other types of dinosaurs. Did they hate everyone so much that they would kill them on any possible opportunity? He wouldn't put it passed them…

His thoughts were abruptly cut off by a distant roar and he immediately remembered that he wasn't in the comforting safety of the Great Valley anymore. He had to keep his wits about him every second now, and too much time thinking too deeply could cost the child his life. Standing up, he turned to look at Ruby, who was coming towards him quickly.

"We should find my family so being alone won't be so lonely anymore." she told him and Chomper gave a nod, following the Fast Runner as she led him in search of her family. Frequently glancing at the Great Wall separating him from his previous home, he sighed and looked down at his feet.

"Ruby..." Hearing his depressed tone, the Fast Runner's face grew with sympathy as her charge looked up at her. "Sorry for making you come with me out here." Realizing that Chomper was blaming himself for separating her from the others, she placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, smiling softly.

"You didn't make me come. I'm supposed to be watching you and I can't watch you if I don't have my eye on you." Seeing the younger child had much more troubling things on his mind, she could decipher what some of those things might be and she continued. "I can visit the others anytime I want to visit them, so you shouldn't feel bad for me."

"But why aren't you scared of me? Or mad at me? Everyone else is." he asked. He remembered the grown up's hostility at the meeting, and how overly-cautious they were when Chomper was taken to the very edges of the Valley. He knew that although his friends had put their own wary feelings aside to say their final goodbyes to him and to make those goodbyes as pleasant as they can given the circumstances, the hidden feelings of unease were nonetheless still there. He didn't really understand why Ruby never showed the same uneasiness even being near him. In fact, she gave a small chuckle at his confusion.

"You're a sharptooth, as you always were since I met you. I knew what I was getting into when I got into it, and I knew this day would come." Although she'll admit to herself that, like Chomper, she never thought it would happen so soon and under these circumstances. But it happened nonetheless and she saw no reason to be surprised by it. It did seem a bit strange how it started right out of the blue, but she knew from experience that sharpteeth were unpredictable, and Chomper wouldn't be any different.

"But I didn't do it!" the young carnivore insisted, starting to grow a bit tired of having to repeat that one line. "It was those Domeheads, not me! Why won't anyone believe me?" Tears were starting to well up again, but he held them back with more success, crossing his arms as they continued their travel. There was silence for a long time as Ruby watched her little companion, amazed that Chomper was still defending himself when it was already all over. Finally, after what felt like hours, she nodded.

"Okay, Chomper. You didn't do it." she said, not really sure if she meant it. She just wanted him to calm down and feel better. Knowing it's wise to move on to a different subject, she continued. "We'll find my family so we can take you back to your family too. I'm sure your parents will be glad to see you again."

She only got a silent nod in response.

Back In The Valley...

"Aw, poor little hatchlings." Cepher muttered mockingly as they browsed amongst some tree stars while watching the Gang of Five nearby. It didn't take an expert to know that the kids were feeling more than a little down this morning, no doubt still feeling the pain of losing two members of their stupid mixed-species group. Did they really think that sharptooth was going to stay forever? Were they really so unprepared for this moment? Shaking his head, he turned back to his companions as Pacia paused her breakfast to gently rub her snout.

"Sharpteeth hatchlings are not worth it..." she muttered mainly to herself, wincing. Noticing an opportunity to gain extra good favor from her, Rus wasted no time wandering to her and began to tenderly lick her injuries. Pacia did nothing to shoo him away, finding the tending soothing to the pain she was still in. Cepher also did nothing to intervene, instead nodding in agreement to Pacia's mutter.

"Exactly why we usually tend to avoid them, even when they're alone. They're not nearly as defenseless as the Leaf Eater hatchlings." he told them. He recalled a few times in the Mysterious Beyond when they were tempted to attack and eat the occasional wandering baby sharpteeth that came across their path. Unfortunately, they never even bothered to try as sharptooth parents tend to be much more protective of their offspring, and Cepher has witnessed before how much young sharpteeth will fight back when needed. Looking at Pacia's wounds, he was reminded that even 'friendly' carnivores were no exception to the rule.

"Hey, Cepher," Rus started, a thought occurring in his head as he paused his small act of charity. "Now that that hatchling's gone, what're we going to do next?"

It's a thought Cepher himself has put much contemplation into since his plan first sprouted; after all, it would only have been a matter of time before their little scapegoat was forced to leave. Luckily, he found it wasn't as difficult a question to answer as he first assumed, especially after they've discovered that oh-so-harmless little opening in the Secret Caverns. As if to add to their luck, the other Leaf Eaters has foolishly forgotten about it in their harsh targeting of the young sharptooth.

"We'll wait for a few days, allow everyone to feel like they accomplished something in banishing the sharptooth. Then, afterwards, we'll keep doing what we've always been doing. If anyone begins to suspect us, we can merely point out the crevice deep within the caverns." he informed them. The duo glanced at each other before Pacia piped up in her usual nitpicking fashion.

"And if they block it?" After all, that would be an inevitable course of action that the other Valley residents will take, so it seemed to her that that would only be a temporary solution. But it would also seem her worries weren't necessary as Cepher chuckled, unfazed by her point.

"There's always more than one way to sneak into the Valley. We'll simply find another opening."

"Or make one ourselves..." Rus muttered, understanding, a smirk growing on his own snout.

"Exactly," Cepher purred in pure confidence as he leaned back against a tree with arms crossed, glaring in the direction of the sulking children who couldn't even bring themselves to play any of their pathetic little games. "So relax your concerns and focus on making yourselves comfortable, because we'll be staying here for a very long time..."

END OF CHAPTER 9

I was sooooo tempted to add the song, Bestest Friends in Chomper's goodbye scene, but I scrapped it at the last moment, thinking it distracting despite it carrying the message across quite nicely. So instead, you can imagine that song while you're reading it or something, knowing that I drew inspiration from it!  :D

Also, I don't like writing Ruby, like at all. Her speech patterns are very difficult for me to type out, so please forgive me if I suck at it... :unsure:

I'm soooo very tempted to just submit all the chapters I have done, but I guess I'll have to wait till next week to release the next chappy.... :x  :lol

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
These guys are smart! Cruel but smart.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Another great chapter, and I hope Chomper finds a way to expose those a**hole domeheads.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm feeling GREAT today, so I decided to treat everyone with an early chapter! But first, responses!!

These guys are smart! Cruel but smart.

Cruel and smart is a very dangerous combination; Chomper will have his work cut out for him if he wants back in.

Another great chapter, and I hope Chomper finds a way to expose those a**hole domeheads.

Thank you. Let's see if your hopes are realized! :DD

NEXT CHAPPY!!! ZOMG!!

Chapter 10

Taking a nap in the Mysterious Beyond wasn't as easy as he remembered it to be. Then again, before he came to the Valley, the vast majority of his life was spent with his protective parents on a secluded island that held practically no other sharpteeth that were large enough to threaten him. It was hardly a place to feel wary about. Having found some shade under a small clump of trees, Chomper and Ruby lay curled up side by side, attempting to sleep away the heat of the day as the Bright Circle blazed down upon the earth below. Despite the serenity of the scene, with colorful Flutter Flyers contentedly visiting the flowers nearby, everything was risky business and every once in a while, one of resting children would wake up and glance around to make sure they were safe for the time being. Didn't help that the slightest sound was enough to stir them.

Especially when said sound was of rustling vegetation.

Not failing to notice that, Chomper opened his eyes with a jolt and a startled cry, looking around in a paranoid fashion as his eyes settled on a nearby cluster of tall shrubs. The noise and slight rustling stopped as soon as he focused on them and Chomper attempted to sniff the air to little avail. Giving up on that, he stared harder at the shrubs, not really noticing anything particularly strange about them. But something still felt off, though that was probably his paranoia getting the best of him. That seemed to be the case since after a few moments of tense waiting, nothing else seemed to happen and he was about to dismiss it as being the wind when he finally realized why this whole thing felt wrong: There was no wind to rustle those shrubs in the first place.

"Ruby! Wake up!" he exclaimed in panic and the Fast Runner startled awake, expression still groggy as she looked about for the source of the alarm. And said alarm was not a second too soon. For the instant it knew that it's been given away, a large green Fast Biter leapt from its camouflaging cover and lunged for them with a shriek. With a responding scream of terror, the two children took off, the predator landing where they once were before giving chase with a loud and a very irritated-sounding growl.

Knowing Fast Biters tended to hunt in groups most of the time, Chomper glanced about for any sign of a trap from other members of the pack, but mercy was smiling down at them and they found themselves incredibly lucky in that department; it seems this one was working alone. Good, as if they needed to add to their fear. Going as fast as he could, Chomper felt as though he was running low on energy, as if he used it all trying to escape those Domeheads earlier. Didn't matter, he had to keep going, but…

"Ruby! I'm slowing you down! Go on ahead!" Chomper managed to shout through his labored breaths, knowing the Fast Runner was purposely staying by his side even now. He didn't want her to get caught, not when she had such a natural advantage in speed. But his friend was not going to abandon her charge so easily and although she said nothing, Chomper could see it on her face: she was never going to leave him behind, no matter what.

Feeling a snap at their tails, the two children sped up all the more, the young sharptooth putting everything he had into his exhausted legs. He can't keep this up; so tired… so much running, so much terror, in such a short amount of time. He didn't know if he could take it… And in his moment of uncertainty, he took a fateful trip on a tree root and fell forward with a cry, feeling as though everything was going in slow-motion as he felt the impact of the hard and unforgiving ground beneath him. He practically felt Ruby stop a few paces in front of him and he tensed as he anticipated being snatched up and shaken until he was lifeless.

But to his true horror, the Fast Biter completely ignored him as it stepped clear over his fallen body and went straight for Ruby, the Fast Runner hesitating for just a split-second as she tried to figure out what to do. Unfortunately, even that incredibly short amount of time was long enough and the sharptooth pinned her screaming form down under a foot, about to sink its teeth into her neck when…

"NO!"

Chomper felt his body become overtaken with familiar protective instincts and he scrambled to his feet to dash over and bite into the other sharptooth's tail, a move he's done on several occasions before as it was always the best way for him to attack without too much risk. He heard the other predator screech in pain and to his relief, it released Ruby. Before the Fast Biter could think of retaliating against him, Chomper let go and hurried over to the frozen Ruby's side protectively, glaring up at the larger dinosaur, whom he finally recognized as:

"Leave her alone, Thud!" he hissed in the sharptooth tongue, breathing heavily in combination of fatigue, rage, and fear. He had a rather complex history with this sharptooth, and he wasn't too sure how the carnivorous creature before them was going to react with his interference. Regardless of how it goes, Chomper was ready. Thud glared at him with an intense growl before looking back at his tail, his growl softening just a tiny bit after seeing that the marks left were minor in nature. Looking back at Chomper, he growled out his response, voice low in a warning tone.

"Step aside, little biter. I'm not after you."

"No!" Chomper shouted defiantly, not giving an inch from his position. He was so sick and tired of being pushed around and taken advantage of by everyone who was bigger than him! Just because he was young and small and different, doesn't mean he wasn't worthy of being treated as an equal among both Leaf Eaters and sharpteeth! No more will he allow others to put him down and get away with it! He's gonna make it clear that he's NOT taking any abuse lying down anymore! "If you want her, you'll have to go through me!"

This got a bit of a pause as Thud looked him over, obviously not taking him seriously despite how utterly enraged Chomper looked. The silence was to be short lived however when the larger sharptooth chuckled in an amusement that made Chomper feel even angrier.

"Very well." The Fast Biter replied, expecting the hatchling to fully back down when he leaned forward to snap at him. But he got the opposite of what he was expecting when the hatchling jumped back to avoid the nip and lunged forward to bite his nose. Jerking back in more surprise than pain, Thud regarded Chomper with a bit of confusion before snarling and knocking the tiny creature over, pinning him down under a foot with his killing claw ready to disembowel. Even then, the little biter struggled and clawed with everything he had and Thud had to fight the reflex to pull away. Instead, he pressed down even harder and it forced the furious child still. With tears flowing down his cheeks once again, Chomper glared at his adversary before closing his eyes, awaiting his end with dignity.

Thud blinked a bit as he tilted his head, not failing to notice a change in the little critter before him. Yes, the hatchling always had a bit of fight in him, but not really to this extreme. And all this, for one little Fast Runner? It was…rather interesting actually. There was more to this, and Thud was gonna make it his business to find out what. He glanced at his intended prey, seeing that she was still where he left her, watching her companion in horror, and he returned his attention to his hapless victim. "Why sacrifice yourself for this potential piece of food?"

Chomper opened his eyes, a bit surprised by the question, but still determined in his cause nonetheless. "She's my friend, just like Ducky was."

Yes, Thud remembered that day when Chomper told him that the Swimmer hatchling was his friend. However, whereas he cracked up in response last time, he didn't find this nearly as amusing. He respected the little biter a great deal since then, after he saved his life on that ledge. Chomper could've left him to die, taken the opportunity to rid an enemy that has previously tried to kill him. But he didn't. And although Thud had already repaid the act of kindness with a show of mercy and thus owed him nothing, the Fast Biter was still reluctant to harm Chomper under his own will. Only in the presence of Screech and Redclaw, whom especially wanted the little sharptooth dead, will Thud threaten the child and only because he had little choice.

But at this moment in time, he was alone in his hunt and seeing Chomper so willing to put his life on the line like this, it bewildered and...troubled him…

Chomper seemed to pick up on this and he choked a bit on his words as he felt his blinding rage beginning to melt away to be replaced once more with sadness and desperation, sniffling constantly on his tears. "I have to save her. She's the only friend I have left…"

Slowly, Thud removed his foot from Chomper's body, looking at the young sharptooth in curiosity and even a tiny bit of concern, though he hid the latter pretty well beneath his current confused expression. "And where's the rest of your little Leaf Eater pals?"

"Back in the Valley…" Chomper told him, seeing no point in hiding anything as he slowly began getting back to his feet, not bothering to dust himself off as he continued. "The grown ups kicked me out, for something I didn't even do." Wanting to take the chance in the hope of having someone who might believe him for once, he kept going. "There's a group of Domeheads in there. They've been killing hatchlings and everyone think it's me! And they won't even believe me when I tell them that the Domeheads did it, because they framed me. They made it look like I killed a baby Swimmer and now, I'm out here…"

Looking down at his hands and falling into a sit, he remembered it all clear as day, and although he had already washed the blood off of himself, he still felt like he was covered in it for all the world to see. In fact, he could still taste that poor Swimmer's blood in his mouth and he tried to hold back a gag at even the thought of it. But he couldn't hold back his whimpers any longer, and he almost began sobbing all over again.

Feeling an uncomfortable amount of pity, of which he made efforts to hide, Thud looked about to make sure nobody other than these two were witnessing him care about this subject matter. He knew that if Redclaw caught him here, he could say goodbye to his hide forever. But luckily, his companions were nowhere to be seen and he returned his attention to the little biter crying in front of him. He rarely ever displayed empathy for anyone except his brother, but he could make an exception here as he tried to put himself in the little biter's claws. What would he do if a bunch of Leaf Eaters framed him? Well that's easy…

"Listen, little biter. You're a sharptooth and sharpteeth have to defend their honor. I know you're used to acting like a Leaf Eater, for reasons beyond me, but you need to start embracing your true nature." He growled firmly, intent on driving this lesson in the youngster's head. "If a bunch of Domeheads are taking advantage of you, then fight back. Don't back down sulking in a crying heap like you are right now."

Chomper paused, tensing instinctively as Thud rather roughly nudged him to his feet with his snout. He was amazed that the Fast Biter was even helping him, but considering their past, he supposed he shouldn't be too surprised. Gaining balance, he looked up at the adult sharptooth as said grown up continued his lecture.

"I can't really tell you what to do, little biter, but if I were you and I cared what a bunch of walking snacks thought about me, I'd go back into that Valley and set things straight. They might attack me for showing my face again, but I'd rather be dead than let some random group of Leaf Eaters tarnish my reputation."

The young sharptooth appeared to be in a type of strange awe of those words, and he opened his mouth to speak before looking uncertain. He knew that Thud was right, that he should go back and really fight for what's right. And besides, if he leaves the Valley forever and just goes back to his parents, he's allowing those Domeheads to kill even more. After all, if they really were killing hatchlings out here in the Mysterious Beyond, then what's to really stop them from doing so in the Valley? What's to stop them from hurting his friends, if they so desired? He couldn't let that happen, but how could he even be sure if…

"Thud, have you heard of Leaf Eaters killing other Leaf Eaters? For any reason really?" he had to ask. Thud looked about the same age as those Domeheads, AND he lived his entire life out here. Perhaps he had some information on this case that Chomper could add to his conclusions. And Thud didn't disappoint.

"A long time ago, when the lands were barren, I've heard stories of some Leaf Eaters killing others. Before you were hatched, everyone kept to their own kind and refused contact with others, and some took this to an extreme." The Fast Biter grunted, exhaling sharply through his sniffer. "But I always thought those were rumors, and even if it's real, I doubt that those type dinosaurs still exist in this time of plenty."

"Oh." Chomper replied, thinking some more to himself.

What if those types of dinosaurs still existed regardless of what the Fast Biter thought, and the Domeheads were one of them? Thud's answer already added a great deal of support to Chomper's previous thoughts and if he was right, it could prove a valuable piece of information to provide the grown ups should he return to the Valley. But when should he make his come-back? When he was older and more able to defend himself? The Domeheads would've killed lots of hatchlings before then and what about his friends? They were in danger! But really, what can he do if things don't work out…? Finally, he shook his head with a sigh.

"What if nothing goes right? What if I go in there and they try to trample me? I'm too small to do anything of value…" He rarely ever admitted his size issue and when he did, it usually dampened his resolve. Luckily, Thud wasn't going to take that from one of the very few dinosaurs that he actually genuinely respected. He wasn't about to waste that respect on a weak-willed and cowardly creature.

"You're a resourceful hatchling. Take advantage of it." He told him and Chomper smiled a bit, knowing that what he lacked in size, he more than made up for it in courage, loyalty, and determination. Feeling his confidence boosted, he nodded a 'thank you' to Thud, who returned the gesture before leaning passed Chomper in a half-hearted attempt to grab Ruby again. Instantly, Chomper took Thud's advice in embracing his sharptooth nature and growled, lunging a bit to bite Thud's nose again.

Jerking back before the young hatchling could nab him, Thud gave Chomper an approving smirk of amusement before turning away and heading off for an 'easier' hunt. The young sharptooth stood where he was, firmly planted in front of Ruby, and allowed a smile to grace his snout again. The adult sharptooth was right about everything; he had to go back and save his friends, save those innocent hatchlings! All he needed was a plan!

And once he thinks of it, he'll use every resource he has available to pull it all off...

A Few Days Later...

This is it; after working for several risings of the Bright Circle, Chomper has finally thought up of a plan that just might work. It was a very difficult process, and practically every point he came up with was incredibly risky, and possibly a bit childish in its simplicity. But it was the best he had and he'll just have to put faith into it. He just needed to work out some of the holes as best as he could, and then wait for the perfect opportunity to put it into action. He hoped he wasn't too late in saving the life of a possible hatchling…

At least they've found Ruby's family the night after Thud's attack, having traveled to Hanging Rock on the chance that they might come across them. Luck seemed to be following them when they found their efforts had not been in vain. Having settled in at the family's nest, Chomper was told that they'll spend some time building their strength before going off for the long journey back to where his parents resided. Although Chomper agreed to this without a fight, he had no intention of leaving his friends so easily. Yes, he missed his parents sorely, and he always found that he frequently longed for his mother's warmth as he snuggled to her every night to sleep…

But his friends needed him, and he wasn't going to let them down, no matter what the grown ups said…

He hadn't told Ruby about his plans, as she might try to stop him, tell him to just let things go and move on. After Thud left, she had questioned him about the conversation that she in no way understood. Not wanting to lie to her, but leaving out some details regardless, he paraphrased the basic message; that Thud had told him to be a sharptooth and to suck it up. That answer seemed to have satisfied the Fast Runner and he was glad she didn't try to delve deeper.

Looking over to the family, he felt his heart glow with warmth and fuzz as he watched Ruby happily playing with her younger siblings. He knew Ruby had also been missing her family and was no doubt taking the separation harder than Chomper did. After all, he didn't have to worry about his parents getting eaten on a regular basis. Seeing the Fast Runners alive and filled with such love, and seeing Ruby happier than he's ever seen her, he knew he couldn't risk their safety in either including them into his plans or taking them through the unforgiving journey through various sharptooth territories just to bring him back home.

If his plan succeeded, everyone will be safe and happy, and that's really all he wanted more than anything.

As the Bright Circle began to set, Ruby's father turned to them with his usual warm smile. "Alright, young ones, it's nest time." Settling by his mate, he watched as his giggling children hurried over and laid by them, the youngest trying to squeeze her way between her parents. Looking over to Chomper, he saw the sharptooth very deep in his own world and he chuckled. "A Shiny Stone for your thoughts, Chomper?"

"Huh?" the youngster responded, obviously startled to hear his name. Seeing them ready for the night, he quickly dashed over, settling by Ruby. "Sorry."

"No apologies needed." The adult male told him in amusement and Ruby's mother gave the young sharptooth a tender smile.

"You okay, sweetie?" she asked, to which Chomper nodded in response.

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you." Curling up tightly, he buried his sniffer under his tail and closed his eyes. The two grown ups looked at each other in undisguised mirth before laying their heads down, their children following suit.

About an hour later, Chomper opened his eyes, feeling his patient waiting has reached an end. Looking over to the family, he saw them in a deep sleep. Perfect. Standing up, he went off as silently as he could to carry out the first step in his plan. It'll be difficult, as he'll have little to work with and one wrong move could spell his doom. He'll just have to make his timing perfect. At least he knew the desired scent like the back of his claw, with it being so terrifyingly engraved in his mind.

Sniffing the air, he sought out the scent and after untangling it from the others, he tried to follow it. This particular trail was faint and he had to physically work at it, but it was the best lead he had at the moment. He just hoped it'll lead him to the right place…

After what felt like several hours, he came across a large cave near a stretch of Fast Water and extremely cautiously, he peeked inside. There, looming like a giant mound of boulders, slept Redclaw. Trying to keep his breathing calm, he swept his gaze around the rest of the cave and found Screech and Thud sleeping side-by-side on the opposite corner from their larger associate. Well, at least his timing was perfect; he was worried they'd still be awake as he knew they sometimes chose to hunt in the cover of darkness.

Swallowing his fear as best he could, he tip-toed over to where the Fast Biters slept, pausing frequently to make sure the largest sharptooth won't stir. Finally, after several tense moments, Chomper came to Thud's side and gently tapped the other carnivore's arm.

"Pssst…Thud…Wake up…" he whispered as softly as he could, hoping his voice won't produce a Talk-Back in this immense cavern. He wasn't sure how the sharptooth would react upon waking, and he was about to find out as the predator stirred from his sleep. Opening his orange eyes drowsily, he glanced over in the direction of the tapping voice and saw the little biter standing beside him. What in the…? Raising and tilting his head, he narrowed his eyes in a glare, not particularly fond of this intrusion so late in the night. Chomper tensed up, anticipating a bite, but when it didn't come, he continued. "I need to talk to you."

Giving a soft growl, Thud looked over to his companions and saw they were still sleeping as he expected. He was always the light sleeper of the trio, whilst the others could probably sleep through all but the most violent of earthshakes. Sometimes he wondered exactly how much trouble he could get away with while they slept, but he never could bring himself to experiment. Screech and certainly Redclaw never appreciated interrupted sleep, no matter the reason. Yawning deeply, he carefully stood up before leaning over Chomper and taking the child's tail in his jaws, feeling the little biter tense in fear as he did so. But he was gentle as he carried the hatchling outside by the Fast Water and set him down.

"What do you want, little biter?" he asked with an edge of irritation. After all, Chomper should've known better than to come here; what if Redclaw spontaneously woke up from a sleep-story? What if the other two picked up his scent when morning came? All sorts of troubling questions were rising up in his mind, and he could only hope the youngster had a good reason for risking both their hides like this!

Chomper knew the other sharptooth wasn't pleased with him at all, and he couldn't blame him. But this was the only time he could risk sneaking off and finding the trio with the least amount of danger to himself. Surely the Fast Biter would understand. "I'm sorry, but I didn't want Redclaw and Screech to know I was out here." A sudden, terrifying thought came to him and he couldn't help but ask. "You didn't tell them about me, did you?"

To his immense relief, Thud shook his head and the hatchling sighed. That was good. He knew Redclaw would no doubt take advantage of the situation if he knew Chomper was out in the Mysterious Beyond, and who knows how much danger that'll put Ruby and her family in!

"You still didn't answer my question." Thud pointed out with an impatient growl, glancing back to the cave entrance to make sure he won't get caught.

"Right," Chomper replied with a glance of his own. Not wanting to waste any more time than necessary, he continued quickly. "I have a plan to get back to the Valley, but I need your help."

At this, Thud tilted his head with a short, confused rumbling noise. Yes, he expected the little biter to formulate a plan, hopefully before Redclaw got wise to his presence, but he didn't expect to be incorporated into it. What can he possibly do to help this issue? Well, he received his answer before he could verbally give his question.

"I've been thinking: what if the Domeheads are still blaming me for everything they're doing while I've been gone? They could be making me look even worse right now, and it'll be harder for me to be let back in!" He paused for a moment to frown at the thought before continuing. "So I need you to sneak inside and at least show everyone that I'm not the only sharptooth who could break into the Valley. You can pretend to attack someone, and then I can come in and ask you to go. Then, I'll be a hero and maybe the grown ups will accept me again, or will give me another chance to prove myself."

An urgent thought came into his head, one that could prove to be the most dangerous part of his plan. Far more dangerous than what the others might do to him if they saw him again. He'll just have to emphasize how incredibly important it was and hope the Fast Biter will follow through. "But I don't want you to hurt them though. Please, please promise not to hurt anyone…" He gave the Fast Biter his best begging face, and he wasn't sure if it was working as the sharptooth seemed uncertain.

"You're asking me to do a very dangerous thing, little biter. Going in there alone is suicide. Why should I risk my tail like that?" he asked pointedly and Chomper looked discouraged.

"I risked my tail saving you on that ledge. For all I knew, you could've eaten me." he started. "And I don't think you'll get hurt; you and Screech always find a way inside and you're still okay."

"And you expect me to bring Screech this time around?" Thud growled in retort. "If he knew of this little arrangement, he might say something to Redclaw, and then I can say goodbye to life." Despite those words, he wasn't too sure if his brother would do that to him. Although he was certain Screech's loyalty to him was stronger than that towards Redclaw, he still couldn't take the chance. If there's one thing living in the Mysterious Beyond has taught him, it's to be wary of everyone who had the potential to cause harm, even if it includes one's kin.

Silence fell between the two and Thud glanced over to the nearby Great Wall, considering the young one's plan more carefully. Going in there alone was incredibly dangerous and he'll have to use every advantage he had to come away unscathed if those Leaf Eater's chose to attack. Though the little biter did make a point; he risked his own life in setting him free of those rocks, and Thud could've easily taken advantage of the child's kindness. Perhaps he should exhibit the same amount of bravery and altruism… Still, at least the little biter got something in return; Thud didn't see anything that can benefit him in this situation and he didn't hesitate in pointing it out.

"If I do this for you, little biter, what will I get from it?" he asked and Chomper felt his hope rise again. But it didn't last long as he was at a dead end on how to answer it. What could he possibly offer in return? He had an idea, but it was something he didn't really want to have to give. But did he have much choice if it'll get Thud to go along with the plan? There had to be another way, but he knew there wasn't.

He muttered something incomprehensible and it was obviously made with great, reluctant effort. Thud hissed softly and lowered his head to Chomper's level in order to hear. The little hatchling saw this as an opportunity, as he didn't really want to have to say those words aloud, and he stepped closer to whisper something into the Fast Biter's ear. Hearing the words clearly now, the larger sharptooth stood back up to full height and cocked his head a bit, looking towards the Great Wall. Chomper fiddled a bit with his claws before adding something.

"And that's only if the plan works, so I can't be too sure about it…" He could only hope Thud would accept the offering, despite its uncertain nature. He felt horrible having to whisper the words he spoken, but it was the only thing he could think of that might satisfy the potentially valuable ally in front of him. Finally, after a long moment, Thud nodded.

"You got yourself a deal, little biter. Now let's find a way into that Valley of yours."

END OF CHAPTER 10

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Another great chapter, FlipperBoidSkua, and Chomper...you crazy! I didn't think Chomper would be able to think that up. One of the best so far, hope you update soon.  :wow

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Chomper's plan is a huge gamble but if it works, then he's back in business and can now expose those three evil Domeheads!

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm kinda worried about what Chomper could possibly be offering in return for Thud's help.

Another great Chapter, can't wait to see what becomes of Chomper's plan!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Why is it I keep thinking that he told Thud he could eat the domeheads?

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Another chappy, but you all know the drill!

Another great chapter, FlipperBoidSkua, and Chomper...you crazy! I didn't think Chomper would be able to think that up. One of the best so far, hope you update soon.

Everyone on FF.net really love that chapter and I truly don't understand why. But I sure ain't about to complain!! And Chomper can get a little bold and crazy, can't he?  :lol  

Chomper's plan is a huge gamble but if it works, then he's back in business and can now expose those three evil Domeheads!

Definitely a gamble. Chomper's a very trusting character, but has he misplaced his trust in Thud? Let's just hope it goes smoothly!

I'm kinda worried about what Chomper could possibly be offering in return for Thud's help.

Another great Chapter, can't wait to see what becomes of Chomper's plan!

Dunno, Chomper sure looked very reluctant to share that offering, so is it a good or bad thing? *zips mouth close* :D

Why is it I keep thinking that he told Thud he could eat the domeheads?

I dunno! Maybe your just weird like that :p  :DD

CHAPPY!!!!

Chapter 11

The Secret Caverns were depressingly empty, especially the two chambers that previously housed a young child each. It seemed that even the caves were mourning the loss of their previous residents as not even a tiny Crawler stirred from within. But such a silence would not last much longer, and after days of stillness, movement finally made itself known. An indiscreet crevice along the walls began to spit dust clouds and a large dinosaur squeezed inside, holding in a sneeze as the dust tickled the inside of its sniffer.

Thud shook himself off before glancing around, stepping aside as Chomper followed in after him, having a much easier time pushing through due to his much smaller size. After the youngster shook the dirt off himself, he also glanced about before moving forward, silently gesturing Thud to follow him as he led his new-found ally towards familiar chambers. It was incredibly difficult making it this far; the main entrances were especially under vigilance and the two had to sneak away unseen to find another, unknown way in. They probably would've missed this crevice altogether if it wasn't for the unpleasantly familiar scent of Domehead that was scraped into its walls. Seems they weren't the only ones to have found it, and the two sharpteeth took every precaution to make sure it was all clear.

Pausing just out of sight from the outside, the younger dinosaur turned to Thud. "Alright, you go and scare someone. I'll follow your trail so I can rescue them, and I'll help you too if you run into trouble." He frowned as he made one last emphasis. "Don't hurt anyone."

Thud grunted dismissively as he just wanted to get this dangerous act over with. He was beginning to have second thoughts on this, and he forcibly pushed that out of the way as he walked towards the cave entrance. Glancing around to ensure he wasn't in immediate danger, he cautiously descended to the ground and hurried towards the nearest clump of undergrowth. Staying silent and still, relying on his green coloration to provide perfect camouflage, he plotted his course so he would remain safely hidden until he found a target to terrorize.

Scanning the ground and sky for any look-outs, he dashed off into some trees, carefully moving without making so much as a rustle. Muscles tense and ready for anything, he continued undetected further and further from the Secret Caverns, moving from one clump of vegetation to another and running through the clearings swiftly whenever he came across them. Finally, he found his first potential victims, but as soon as he saw who and what they were, he quickly wrote them off.

It was a trio of Domeheads, quite possibly the Domeheads the little biter was talking about. Frowning, Thud took a small sample of air from the clearing and smelled blood. Just like Chomper described to him while they were searching for a way into the Valley… So these three were the cause of all this trouble; he felt the temptation to attack them, but he knew very well that that would be a lethal decision. He's hunted and killed their kind before, but never on his own. Without the back up of Screech or Redclaw, he wouldn't have much of a chance against even one of them, much less a trio. And so, reluctantly, Thud moved on for an easier target, creeping off silently so as not to wake them.

It wasn't easy finding someone. Several of the Leaf Eaters he came across would be able to fight back; and many of the smaller, more defenseless ones were always close by a protector. Keeping in a frustrated growl at his limitations as a lone Fast Biter, he kept up the search and finally found the ideal candidate. In fact, he did a double take upon seeing said candidate, and he wandered closer with confusion etched into his features. For right there in front of him, just below face-level, was a teal-colored Glider dangling from a branch much higher up by a vine tied to its ankle. And it was still asleep…

Confusion giving way to amusement, the Fast Biter couldn't help but chuckle at this comedic scene. He's seen Gliders like this only once or twice before far out in the Mysterious Beyond, and he knew that they make for easy targets once they get stranded on the ground. Yes, this one will do quite nicely. Although his predatory instincts insisted on taking advantage of the Glider's vulnerability, that wasn't what he's here for. With a snap of his jaws, he easily broke the vine in half and the prickly bundle fell to the ground with a soft thump.

The impact with the ground more than enough to wake him, Guido slowly opened his eyes to see the tree's canopy, the vine that previously held him…and a Fast Biter growling menacingly down at him. Comprehending this quickly, the little dinosaur's eyes snapped fully open and with a loud cry, he righted himself and ran off as fast as he could, hearing the sharptooth chase after him. He wasn't sure why it waited so long to launch an attack, but he wasn't going to question it as he made for a nearby tree. But it didn't go as he hoped when the sharptooth leapt in front of him and he had to skid to a halt to avoid colliding with it, still screaming in pure terror. Dashing off again, he felt the Fast Biter snap at his tail, missing purposely. In fact, it could easily catch him, why…?

Oh great! He's playing with me! his thoughts flashed in his head and he took a deep breath. "Help! Somebody help me!"

Not for the first time in his life, Guido wished he was a Flyer, so he can just take off into the safety of the sky. But unfortunately, with no strong wind or trees to help him, he was utterly defenseless and it would only be a matter of time before the sharptooth got bored of the game and snatched him up! Why him? Why did it always have to be him? He was a nice guy, or at least he tries to be!

Catching sight of Littlefoot's nest, Guido ran for it, hoping the presence of two giant Longnecks would discourage the sharptooth. Whimpering loudly, he cried out once more to wake the family and to his great relief, the Fast Biter stopped in its tracks as the adult Longnecks began to stir. Hiding behind a groggy and startled Littlefoot, the shivering little dinosaur peeked out towards the predator.

"Help!" he exclaimed before going back to hiding.

As the two adult Longnecks began to stand up, Thud snarled as viciously as he could muster, trying his best not to show his intimidation in standing alone like this. Although he was out of tail range, he knew this was extremely dangerous and he was pushing his luck as far as he was willing to. But, luckily, just as the two adults were about to react in defense, a loud shout echoed through the air.

"Stop!"

And there he was, arriving just in time as the Fast Biter was beginning to believe that he'll have to start defending himself, tooth and claw. But that thankfully won't be needed as Chomper hurried onto the scene, much to the Leaf Eaters' surprise.

"Chomper?" Littlefoot exclaimed in a mixture of confusion, glee, and worry. The young sharptooth took his place between Thud and the Longnecks, trying to look brave and angry as he faced the much larger sharptooth. But fully aware that the herbivores won't be able to understand, his growling words held a different message than what his current protective demeanor gave off.

"Thanks, Thud. I really owe you one." He told him, inwardly glad that his plan might actually work. The Fast Biter hissed softly, not needing to pretend as he glared up at the Longnecks just in case they would attack him. Luckily, they didn't and he returned his attention to the little biter.

"Just try to keep your end of the bargain." He warned the smaller sharptooth, his tail swishing in aggravation. He wasn't particularly fond of this position, where only a hatchling stood between him and potential death, and he wanted to leave. Now. Chomper picked this up and stepped forward, keeping up his 'threatening' act with more clicks and snarls.

"I'll be sure to try my best. You can go now, before Redclaw and Screech wake up and see you gone."

Casting one last glance at the towering Leaf Eaters, Thud huffed through his nose before turning away. However, a thought occurred at the last moment and he looked back at the little biter. "I smelled the blood in the clearing you told me about. I wasn't sure if I believed you before then, but at least now I know for sure you weren't lying to me."

Hearing that he wasn't the only one to have picked up the scent, it took all of Chomper's power not to look over-joyed. Thud could hardly understand how important that statement was to the child as he began heading back towards the Secret Caverns, leaving the little biter to carry out the rest of the plans. So long as he got his reward within the next couple of days like Chomper promised, he won't share any of tonight's details with his companions, including the tiny little part on how to get into the Valley. But if there was nothing to show for this in the end, all bets are off…

Relaxing as Thud disappeared from sight, Grandpa and Grandma Longneck looked down at little Chomper as Littlefoot couldn't help but rush over to his friend, Guido riding safely on his back. "Chomper! You're here!" the young Longneck said happily as Chomper wasted no time in hugging the friend he was so sure that he'll never see again. But the reunion wasn't to be all joyous as Littlefoot seemed to realize something and looked up worriedly at his grandparents, who have been uncomfortably quiet for a long moment before finally some words were spoken.

"Yes, this is quite a surprise." Grandpa did look relieved to see the young sharptooth unharmed after spending a few days out of the Valley, but at the same time, he took on a stern expression. "Chomper, you've been exiled from the Valley, and we meant it when we said you couldn't come back."

Knowing his fate was divided and knowing it was up to him now to shift it, he looked down at his feet as he held his claws behind his back, speaking softly. "I know. But I saw Thud coming into the Valley through the Secret Caverns and I just wanted to help. I thought he was going to hurt someone."

"Yeah," Guido said with a nod, trying to recover from that traumatic experience. "And that someone was almost me." Shuddering, the Glider forced himself to relax now that he was safe before asking with wary curiosity. "Hey, what'd ya say to him, anyway?"

"I told him to leave; that he wasn't wanted here and that it'll be a good idea to just go home." Chomper answered, feeling strange having to lie a bit, though he knew it was necessary. Looking up at Grandma and Grandpa, he continued in a beseeching manner. "I only wanted to help. I know you don't believe me about before, but this time, I can PROVE that I'm innocent. Just give me a chance, please…"

There was silence as both Grandpa and Grandma looked at each other in consideration. Chomper never felt more anxious as he waited beside his friends, hoping that they'll find it in their hearts to accept his plea. He was willing to do anything, to accept any condition, just for another chance to prove himself right. Finally, after some hushed mutterings between themselves, Grandpa once more spoke up.

"In light of what you've just done to protect the Valley, I do believe that we can give you that chance. But the others need to have a say in this as well. Grandma and I will talk to them in the morning and until we can reach some form of consensus as to whether you can stay or not, you'll be under a very strict watch. I know you'll understand as to why."

Chomper nodded, some of his fears and worries leaving him. His plan was working so far and although he was far from done, it was at least progress. Although the thought of facing the other Valley residents left an entirely new kind of anxiety within him…

Morning...

"What's he doing back here?" Kosh hissed in undisguised fury as Chomper was being led into the Rock Circle, where every one of the adults has once more gathered. Feeling the tense and hostile atmosphere, Chomper felt his fear resurfacing and he tried not to look anyone in the eye as he moved quickly to his spot. Maybe this was a bad idea. What if they decide to punish him for coming back? What if…

Catching sight of a familiar trio glaring at him, he remembered that terrifying night and what they did to him. They had to be stopped and he was the only one who knew the truth. He couldn't back down when he's gone so far, all his efforts will be in vain if he did. And so, glaring back defiantly at the Domeheads, he held himself with dignity even as angry yells spread through the crowd, most everybody seemingly on the verge of rampaging at this turn of events.

"Everyone, calm down!" Grandpa called out, only to be ignored. The residents were really getting worked up and it was only when Mr. Threehorn impatiently stomped the ground that everyone fell silent. Nodding a 'thank you' to his old friend, the elder dinosaur cleared his throat. "I know you are all upset and confused as to why young Chomper has returned. Well, just last night, the Fast Biter known as Thud snuck into the Valley and tried to eat one of our own."

At this, the vast majority of the Leaf Eaters forgot their anger when it was replaced with fear. A Fast Biter broke in? Thud broke in?! From where?! What if he came back?! What if he'll bring Redclaw next time?! Before any of them could properly respond, Grandma Longneck continued where her mate left off.

"Yes, and it was Chomper who saved us." She looked at the young sharptooth. "Why don't you tell everyone what happened."

"Well," Chomper started, feeling all eyes return to him and keeping himself from choking under the pressure. "I saw Thud wandering along the Great Wall, looking for a way in. I knew I couldn't just stand by, so I followed him and I saw him enter through an opening in the Secret Caverns."

"I remember that opening," Mrs. Maia started. "We were about to close it when we saw you with the Fuzzer."

This got mutters of agreement and Chomper felt mixed feelings regarding it. On one claw, it supported his story and gained him some credibility. On the other claw, it also brought back unwanted memories… Shaking his head to clear it, he continued.

"I knew he was going to hurt someone, so I went after him. I didn't care if I was going to get in trouble, I had to help! I heard Guido screaming and came just in time to convince Thud to leave before anyone got hurt."

This brought even more mutters as everyone began to discuss their feelings on the situation before Grandpa spoke up once again. "Chomper wants another chance to redeem himself in our eyes. He claims he can prove his innocence."

"We're waiting…" Rus piped up and Chomper could see a glint of malicious curiosity in their eyes. He knew they were mocking him and he can see clearly that they held high confidence that he would bring nothing new to the table. Well, he'll show them!

"Before he left, Thud told me that he had smelled the blood in your clearing, just like I did." He told the Domeheads in his own confidence. "And if you don't believe me, we can always bring him back to say so himself!"

This got surprised mutterings from the crowd and Cepher gave a snort, glaring at the little predator before hissing his own words. "Like a sharptooth can ever be trusted. You've shattered everyone's trust already, and you're a 'friendly' sharptooth. A real sharptooth won't be any better."

Chomper resisted the urge to yell how he was a real sharptooth, but he wasn't going to let himself be insulted into a rage. He was wiser now and knew a trap when he saw one; he certainly wasn't going to be tripped up as easily as before. Looking about, he saw most of the residents were beginning to nod in agreement with the Domehead and he knew he had to retort quickly. Luckily, the words flowed naturally.

"Thud won't have anything to lose or anything to gain in lying. Bring any sharptooth, and have them sniff for blood, and I guarantee that they'll lead right to your clearing!" he told them without so much as a stutter, feeling stronger than he was before. In fact… "I bet that even Spike could pick it up if he tries his very hardest!"

This newfound confidence was certainly having an effect. Although none of them would dare bring a hostile sharptooth in here willingly, they were still taken aback at how firm and steadfast Chomper seemed in his claims, as oppose to the desperate uncertainty he has shown last time. It genuinely felt like he was telling the truth and it was only their natural wariness that kept them from fully believing those words. However, Chomper wasn't done as he turned his attention to everyone.

"I was told that times were different before I hatched. That everyone kept to their own kind, right?" This got confused nods of agreement. "Well, I was also told that some even hated other dinosaurs, and we all know who that sounds like."

At once attention shifted to the Domeheads, all three of whom were growling under their breaths as they knew exactly where this was heading. How dare that insolent little hatchling even thought of bringing that up! But he was, and it took effort from the trio to keep from making the sharptooth nothing but a corpse; in fact, Rus was starting to stand up with murderous intentions when Cepher shoved him back down into a sit. Unable to do much else herself, Pacia leaned over to Cepher and whispered incredibly softly so only he could hear. "This is getting bad. What do we do?"

Their leader didn't respond, his glare towards Chomper never faltering even as he growled even louder. Unfazed by their obvious rage, Chomper continued, making no hesitation in sharing his newest theory.

"I was told there were rumors about those Leaf Eaters murdering others out of hate. What if those three," He pointed straight at the Domeheads. "are examples of those kinds of Leaf Eaters? And, coming here, they've been using me to get away with it!"

"You're basing all this on absurd rumors!" Cepher hissed in retaliation, crossing his arms. "Yes, we hate the other herds, but we will never go so far as to inflict physical harm on them. They're not worth our effort."

Although the others clearly looked uncertain as to whether they should feel insulted by that or not, they still kept out of the debate as Chomper made one last point.

"All rumors have to start from somewhere, so who's to say they didn't start from someone who saw you kill a poor little hatchling?" Chomper growled, not backing down when he was on such a roll. Unfortunately, Cepher wasn't backing down either.

"And who's to say they had anything to do with us in the first place?" he snarled back darkly. Silence overtook the Rock Circle as the two continued to glare heatedly at each other. Finally, Grandpa spoke up.

"This is certainly going to be a very difficult case. I do feel we've heard enough at this point in time and we will hold a second meeting later on to hear more and to share our final decision. Until then, we'll be discussing our thoughts regarding the points we've been given from both sides. Chomper," He turned to look at the young sharptooth, who turned to look back at him with hope in his eyes. "You will stay with Mr. Thicknose for the time being." The old Longneck then looked to the Domehead trio. "And you three should head off as well. We will inform all of you when to return for the next hearing."

"Whatever, ya useless old flathead." Standing, the trio leapt off their chosen ledge and wandered out of the Rock Circle back towards their clearing.

Mr. Thicknose stepped forward toward Chomper, looking weary from the whole thing, but smiling as warmly as he could, given the uncertain circumstance. "Come along, Chomper. It's still very early and I think it'll be a good time for rest." Grinning, Chomper nodded and he followed the old dinosaur out of the meeting place. He felt that everything went pretty well for him, although he'll admit, the Domeheads were quick on retaliation and he was worried they'll slip him up when their debate carried on into the next gathering.

But at least there was going to be a next time…

Within A Certain Clearing…

"That sharptooth is getting a bit too clever." Pacia stated as they reached their main territory. It was clear the three were highly agitated by the whole thing and the two subordinates even felt a little threatened a few times during that argument. Luckily, their leader got them through it, but it was still very worrying.

"Indeed," Cepher responded, tail flicking irritably as he went over those earlier events in his head. "We simply cannot afford him winning his right back into the Valley, even if nobody suspects us."

"I say we just get rid of him once and for all." Rus stated through gritted teeth, his claws clenching as he just wanted to silence the young sharptooth forever. At least that way, they'll be safe to carry on with their secretive activities without his annoying and admittably dangerous interference. However, Cepher shook his head at the suggestion, no matter how appealing it was sounding at this particular moment.

"Killing the sharptooth now would only bring more trouble on our heads." He informed them sternly. "We have to be much more subtle than that."

"Then what do we do?" Pacia questioned, for once feeling quite a bit of insecurity about this whole thing. Nobody's ever been this close to discovering their part-time predatory nature and it honestly began to scare her a bit. Who knows what the others would do if the truth went out…

"For now, we wait." Cepher replied, glaring over in the direction of the Rock Circle. "Perhaps no action will be needed if they decide to re-banish the sharptooth. But it doesn't look like they'll be reaching an agreement anytime soon; so if they can't decide by nightfall or if they allow the sharptooth back in, whichever comes first, we'll take matters into our own claws."

"How?" Rus inquired. A dark look overcame their leader's face and it cheered them up a bit. After all, that look always meant he had something pleasant (to them, anyway) in mind.

"The sharptooth's gotten smarter, yes, but his fate's still hanging by such a thin, delicate little line. All we need do is snap it with a tactic that hasn't failed us yet."

Understanding, the two smaller Domeheads smirked with their own purrs, their confidence back in full swing as they patiently waited for whatever outcome may arise. Whichever way this day concludes, by the time tomorrow comes, it'll be their victory.

END OF CHAPTER 11

Yay, Chompy gets what I guess I can call probation! But will it end before it really begins? Find out next chapter!

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Yay! This is awesome, I am so glad he's atleast getting probation. This reminds me of a court case, and hopefully Chomper can convince everyone what happened with the domeheads.

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thanks for the comment, Chomper98. I love your new avatar btw, sharks are such beautiful creatures.

Anyway, I'm submitting another chappy before heading to bed! Enjoy!

Chapter 12

"What is that hatchling doing?" Rus asked as he watched a young Spiketail wander by for what could be the third time. The first time was a distance away, so that the young male Domehead felt no need to bring it up. The second time, the hatchling was a bit closer and Rus felt a spike of suspicion, but ignored it. And now...

Cepher and Pacia stopped their afternoon feeding to wander over to their companion, looking over to see what he was talking about. Indeed, the little hatchling was wandering about aimlessly, sniffing heavily for something or another. The three Domeheads watched the child carefully, waiting to see if it would be foolish enough to come too close. They were ready to chase it off and needed just the slightest excuse to do it.

Spike saw that they were keeping an eye on him and he paused what he was doing to back up a bit nervously; his bulk (and full stomach) did not make him too fast a runner and he knew he would get caught if they charged at him. They wouldn't harm him, of course, but being pursued was an unpleasant experience that he'd rather avoid. But still, he had no intentions of backing out now! News of Chomper's reappearance has gotten around quickly and Spike had picked up some of the grown-ups talking about something Chomper had said, about using the young Spiketail to sniff for clues. Upon hearing that, Spike needed no further prompting and has been sniffing around intensely. It was difficult, as he mostly just smelled food; he was trying hard though, using everything the young sharptooth had taught him to find anything that might seem suspicious. He found nothing so far, and he decided to try a different location: the Domehead's clearing.

Unfortunately, the irate residents were still there and Spike knew he couldn't get too close. But he wasn't one to give up too easily, especially when it came to helping his friends! Chomper needed him. So he's been circling the clearing, trying to find clues while hoping the Domeheads would leave soon. It still wasn't getting anything, and slightly frustrated, Spike decided to take the risk in an attempt to get something incriminating. He slowly began inching closer to the clearing, keeping his nose to the ground whilst not making any eye contact with the Domeheads. Hopefully, they'll ignore him...

"He's sniffing for blood," Cepher whispered to the others, finally understanding why the hatchling was sticking around and sniffing so intently.

Yes, this was the Spiketail who's friends with the sharptooth and the little hatchling must be trying to help his friend by doing just as the sharptooth said. Knowing they couldn't allow the nosy little pest to find anything, the Domeheads jumped out from their clearing and lunged for the Spiketail. The youngster gave a frightened cry before turning tail and running. Cepher pulled ahead, easily catching up to the plump little potential morsel and grabbed his tail, yanking him back. The small hatchling could do nothing as Cepher closed his claws around his mouth, leaning close to hiss.

"Stay away from our clearing, you sorry excuse for a dinosaur. Next time, I won't be so generous as to let you off with a warning." With that, he let go of the unharmed hatchling, roughly shoving him forward with his snout. He wanted so badly to kill the hatchling for trying to stick his nose into their business, but he knew that now wasn't the time to do it. No, he could only reprimand him as the Spiketail got the point and hurried off with a very frightened look on his face. Standing up to full height, Cepher watched the hatchling retreat, growling when the little one paused to look back at him before disappearing. Hardly relaxing, large Leaf Eater turned back to his companions, a hiss underlying his words. "It's things like this that makes me wish we can just kill that sharptooth."

The others nodded in agreement, annoyed that things were getting too serious. If they weren't here, who knows what that Spiketail could've found! At least by tonight, things can get back to normal with the little sharptooth gone forever. That was certainly something to look forward to. Heading back into their clearing, Cepher turned his attention to Pacia, his voice losing some of its irritation.

"Go on ahead to find that sharptooth and bring him back here when you're certain everyone else is asleep. Rus and I will guard the clearing in case that Spiketail gets stupid." he told her. She nodded, allowing a smirk to grow on her face as she headed out to begin scouting for where that sharptooth could possibly be...

Several Hours Later...

The Bright Circle was starting to sink below the Great Wall and still, there was no sign from the grown-ups that anyone has come to an agreement. Chomper was following Mr. Thicknose everywhere the old dinosaur went, intent on showing everyone that he was no trouble-maker. He hadn't been allowed to interact with any of the children, including his friends as Mr. Threehorn had insisted on 'protecting' them from Chomper for the time being. It hurt hearing him say that, but it made sense for the little sharptooth, and despite the lack of playmates, he still tried to keep his time busy by sniffing about for more clues under Mr. Thicknose's watchful eyes. And as the day drew to a close, the grown-up settled down comfortably, Chomper curled up right by him.

"Well, today's been quite busy. I must say, a youngster like you sure moves around a lot." The aging dinosaur said wearily and Chomper allowed a smile on his snout. Although he has still been sensing a great deal of unease from his care-taker and from anyone he happens to come across, he tried not to let that get to him. It's all natural and it'll fade away as soon as he's allowed back in the Valley; his confidence was really starting to peak and he couldn't wait for the fateful call back to the Rock Circle.

"Mr. Thicknose?" Chomper started, looking up at him. "Do you think I'll be let back in?"

"I don't know, Chomper." The old dinosaur replied truthfully. "You did bring up valid points, but I'm not sure if it'll be strong enough to sway the others. We need more definite proof into the matter, and a long-term investigation could be set into motion."

Chomper nodded, feeling a bit disheartened, but not too much. Who knows, maybe the other grown-ups will investigate and discover his innocence on their own! Then, he'll never have to worry about it again! Resting his head over his arms with a wishful smile on his face, he found himself very sleepy. Those unsettling nights in the Mysterious Beyond took some getting used to and it felt good being back within the Valley walls. Giving a yawn, he closed his eyes and fell asleep, his guardian feeling obliged to watch him until it grew dark. Certain the young one wasn't going anywhere during the night, he too fell asleep.

It wasn't too long at all before the surrounding vegetation gave a very brief rustle, and being hard-wired to respond, Chomper's head jolted up before he even woke completely. Opening his eyes, he scanned his surroundings, looking for stalking sharpteeth before remembering that he was safe in the Valley next to a grown-up. His body too sleepy to question more, he closed his eyes again just as Pacia emerged silently from the surrounding undergrowth, glancing around to make sure nobody was going to catch her. Slinking forward carefully, she moved up to the half-snoozing hatchling and swiftly grabbed hold of him.

Chomper's alertness came crashing back into him as his mind startled completely awake and he was about to voice his alarm when a familiar set of claws closed around his snout. Oh, no… Not this again! Struggling hard with furious growls, Chomper tried to call out to Mr. Thicknose, but his voice was frustratingly muffled and the old dinosaur remained unaware of his charge's plight. The young sharptooth thrashed about relentlessly, clawing in a frenzy without much remorse despite his mostly clear head. Thud was right; he had to embrace his sharptooth instincts, and if it meant hurting a hostile Leaf Eater to save himself, then he'll do it without feeling bad about it! But, alas, it was just no use as the female Domehead hissed in acknowledgement of her pain, but nonetheless carried him off back into the clearing. Feeling a sense of dÈj‡ vu as he was shoved into the ground and tied up with vines, he glared up to see the leader standing nearby, overseeing the kidnapping.

"Be sure to keep him quiet. We don't want him bringing in the whole Valley." He told them and Rus grinned as he tied a vine around the sharptooth's muzzle, tightening it unnecessarily and earning a pained and muffled cry from the little pest. Tossing him carelessly aside as if he were nothing but a useless rock, the duo looked over at Cepher for the next move. Their leader turned away from them as he spoke. "Keep an eye on him; I'm gonna go find him a little farewell present."

And with that, Cepher dashed off, leaving his companions behind and willing to take any hatchling he came across…

And it would seem said hatchling would take the form of a pink little Threehorn naively wandering about quite a ways from the clearing. Cepher spotted the boldly colored infant easily enough as he stopped in his tracks behind some trees, watching his prey intently as he slowly began inching his way forward. He was unable to keep a smirk from growing on his face as the hopelessly clueless child only wandered closer to his hiding place, babbling nonsense to herself. This will be an easy kill...

It never ceases to amaze Tricia how different the Valley looks at night. She was always a curious and adventurous hatchling, so when her family settled in for the night, she was rather reluctant to join them, still wanting to play despite the late hour. Regardless, she had cuddled against her older sister and dozed off rather quickly, her growing body's need for rest always outweighing her mind's need for adventure. But that soon changed when she woke up from a sleep-story to see a Buzzer has landed on her nose. Finding delight in this encounter, she chased after it when it flew off, eventually losing track of it and now spending her time exploring the darkened Valley.

She had no real notion of danger, and certainly couldn't comprehend her own mortality. Everything was either fun or scary or boring to her, the true meaning behind it all completely beyond her. So when she caught sight of the large Domehead through his hiding place, she beamed and began wandering towards him in the hopes of playing with someone that was actually awake. He certainly seemed eager to meet with her as he was now rushing right for her…

"Tricia! Where are you?!"

It was her older sister and she turned in response to the call, happily moving forward when a loud crash happened just inches from her and she fell forward with the force.

Missed! Well, it doesn't matter. The hatchling was stunned by the shock of the blow and it was enough for Cepher to react as he lashed out his claws with a snarl. Feeling contact with the little one, he grabbed her in an unrelenting grip and stood up, allowing a triumphant smirk to grow on his muzzle before sinking his teeth into the hatchling. The child screamed and he began tightening his jaws to silence her when-

"Tricia!" Cera screamed in horror as she arrived just in the nick of time to see her baby sister's dangerous situation. Within an instant, she felt a huge wave of protectiveness wash over her and despite the enemy being so much bigger than herself, she wasted little more time charging right into the Domehead's leg.

With a cry of startled pain, the larger dinosaur released the hatchling from both his claws and his teeth, and the little Threehorn fell to the ground with a soft thud. A soft squeak came from her mouth and she fluttered her eyes open, beginning to cry as the pain of the attack grew in intensity. But she had no time to begin sobbing as her older sibling hoisted her up onto her snout and took off running as fast as she could possibly go.

Unfortunately, Cepher was not about to let his target escape; he especially couldn't allow a witness to escape either! So with a heavy snarl, he charged after his prey, fully intending to end them both; in fact, perhaps he and the others can eat the older child as a bonus. Their screams of terror were only motivating him and he knew it would only be a matter of time before they drew unwanted attention. Catching up to them with ease, he lunged at full force, his head smashing violently into the ground when his targets took an evasive sharp turn. His body taking the impact in stride, he was unfazed as he righted himself quickly and tore after them once again.

It was extremely difficult to keep moving this fast with such precious cargo positioned precariously on her face. Cera was having a hard time seeing what's in front of her, but that hardly mattered as she knew she had to reach home and avoid certain death while she's at it. It wasn't too long ago that she woke up after noticing an absence of warmth by her side. She found Tricia had wandered off and hurried to retrieve the bundle of curiosity before her parents woke up. Now she was regretting not alerting them to her sister's disappearance.

"Hold on tight, Sis! We could make it!" she shouted in encouragement, as much for herself as to Tricia. She glanced behind her to see practically nothing but teeth and she sped up, barely managing to pull ahead and avoid the bite by a hair. This was feeling unpleasantly familiar, and she couldn't quite put her paw on it. What does it matter anyway, not like…

Suddenly, it hit her. It was nothing physical, but images were flashing in her mind's eye. She's been in a situation like this before, a horrible memory that could've traumatized her for life. Now it was resurfacing and she had no choice but to face it as she continued to run for the lives of both her and her sister.

It was incredibly dark as she stumbled into a cave. The feeling of anger was still incredibly strong; so much so, that she didn't particularly care that she was alone. The others fell behind and she was in no mood to stop and wait up for them. If they wanted Littlefoot back so badly, then they can join with him, or they'll just have to make due themselves! She had the Great Valley to find, a family to reunite with, and nothing was going to slow her down! She certainly hadn't notice the danger they were all in; otherwise, it could've been an entirely different story.

Pressing forward further into the cave, she was grumbling and muttering under her breath when she saw a disconcerting sight: a torn body of a dead Onehorn, whom looked to be about her age, if not a bit younger. Oh no, a sharptooth was nearby, she knew it! What if it was...him? THE Sharptooth?! Looking about herself in a panic, she chose a direction and took off, hoping to reach the exit before the massive predator came back. But in her hurry, she slammed into something hard and scaly.

Giving a startled scream, she stepped back as a Domehead stirred from his sleep and glared down at her. Nearby were his two companions and they too were waking at the sound of Cera's shrill scream. Seeing what they were, she relaxed as she had seen Domeheads before. They were Leaf Eaters, just like her, and posed practically no threat whatsoever. At least, that's what she first thought before the trio began growling sinisterly, standing up to tower over her little form. Regardless of their harmless dietary preferences, she knew she was in trouble and that it would be a very wise move to run. Forgetting her anger, forgetting her pride, forgetting everything, she bolted as the trio immediately gave chase...

It was uncannily similar to what was happening now and that's probably what spurred these nearly forgotten memories. She knew those particular Domeheads were unusually vicious and that she shouldn't be judging a species from the actions of a few bad Tree Sweets. However, her first encounter wasn't to be discarded so easily and although she couldn't readily recall it anytime she wanted before this point, it did leave an imprint on her. She's always avoided Domeheads when she could, never really interacting with them and even feeling a bit of fear in their presence. Of course, her natural pride would hide the latter fact, but it didn't change how she felt.

Now that fear was only going to get stronger. Now adding to her old memories were the current events of trying to survive this encounter. Forcing her legs as fast as she could push them, she was so close to the nest that she could practically smell the familiar scent of home. The Domehead, -one whom she now unpleasantly recognizes-, was beginning to hiss in frustration and he made one last lunge that will no doubt kill both hatchlings instantly. But a saving grace came just in time as Cera nearly collided with a familiar black leg.

"What's going on here?!" Mr. Threehorn snarled as his children hid behind him without any amount of hesitation. Cepher saw his chance has been blown and he cursed under his breath as he forced himself to skid to a stop, coming to a rest just a few feet short of hitting the adult dinosaur. Although his mind was swimming on what to do, how to react, he kept himself in check and he gathered his wits with an angered swish of his tail. But before he could respond, Cera did it for him as she placed her sister down on the ground.

"He was trying to kill us! And he hurt Tricia!"

"What?!" was the enraged reaction from the larger dinosaur and he glared right at Cepher with unparalleled anger and hatred, pawing the ground threateningly. The Domehead leader growled directly at the young ones before regarding the Threehorn's anger and snorted. This was not good, he knew, and it was best to cut his losses, gather his companions, and leave before the news spread and things got outta hand.

Practically radiating blatant disrespect and defiance, Cepher turned his back on the other dinosaur and attempted to make a dignified run for it. However, judging from the pounding footfalls behind him, he was not going to be allowed to make such a move and he hardly threw himself out of the way in time to avoid a full-on charge from the angry father. Snarling, Cepher glared death at the older dinosaur, whom exhaled a practical cloud from his nose before speaking in a low, very threatening voice.

"I think it's time to arrange another meeting."

To which, the Domehead could only respond with a fear-hiding sneer.

Back In The Clearing…

"What's taking Cepher so long?" Pacia questioned as she and Rus sat side-by-side against a tree, keeping an eye on the restrained sharptooth as they waited. Their leader has been gone for over an hour now and they were starting to fidget restlessly. It shouldn't take that long to find a hatchling and kill it. Maybe there were no wandering hatchlings out tonight and Cepher was strategizing how to steal one from its own nest without getting caught. That certainly made a lot of sense; maybe they shouldn't be too worried about it.

Growing bored, Rus turned his attention to the young sharptooth, whom has been unusually quiet and still the past few minutes. Standing from the comforting warmth of Pacia's side, he wandered over to the hatchling to catch him attempting to gently pull his hands free of his bonds. The child stopped when he noticed the Domehead's approach, but it was too late to hide it. Growling in warning, Rus then allowed a leer to flicker across his face as he leaned over and tightened those bonds as far as they would go. The sharptooth gave a muffled yelp in response to this and he chuckled in dark amusement.

"Now stay put, ya little brat. We can't have you running loose and risk getting hurt, now can we?" he threatened before a voice rang out from the surrounding trees.

"Can't have who running loose?"

Instantly, Rus stepped in front of the hatchling in an attempt to hide him as Pacia stood with a hostile glare in the voice's direction. After a moment, Mrs. Maia and Kosh pushed passed the vegetation and stepped into the clearing, each bearing their own heated glares as they regarded the two Domeheads.

"None of your business, now get out of our territory!" Pacia hissed angrily, stepping up to join Rus in hiding the sharptooth. This wasn't good; they HAD to get these intruders out of here before they see the sharptooth! It would be inevitable if they stayed and then who knows what'll happen next! Unfortunately, these two weren't going anywhere and they made it perfectly clear as they both let out their own growls.

"We're not leaving until we feel like it!" Kosh retorted back with an aggressive swish of his tail. "Anyway, you two have to get to the Rock Circle. Now!"

The Rock Circle? Did everyone already come to their decision about the sharptooth? Strange how it took till this hour in the night to pass on a verdict, with everyone fast asleep nonetheless. Something didn't feel right about this at all and Rus shook his head stubbornly, crossing his arms as he scowled. "We're not going anywhere without Cepher, so do us all a favor and get out before you stink up the place."

Kosh's angry glare intensified and Mrs. Maia casted a glance at the Clubtail to make sure he won't do something rash, despite how much she would want it to happen just to put these arrogant Domeheads in their place. But no, starting a fight was not what they're here for, so they'll just have to ignore the hostilies as best they could. With that in mind, the Crestless Swimmer continued with only a snappy tone to express her heavy disdain. "Your little leader is already at the Rock Circle and everyone's waiting for you tw-."

"What do we have here?" Kosh interrupted, glaring passed the Domeheads at the little bundle they were obviously attempting to hide. The Clubtail ambled forward despite the snarls from the two. They could threaten all they wanted; there was literally nothing they could do to keep the heavily-armored dinosaur from shoving his way through their barricade.

Chomper looked up at Mr. Clubtail, a huge look of relief overtaking his face. Kosh didn't really know how to respond for a moment before he casted a highly suspicious glare at the duo. Rus and Pacia glared right back, their claws clenching as they both wanted so badly to tear at the Clubtail for having the gall to defy them in such a matter. But they both knew they won't be able to do much, if any damage to Kosh even if they worked together. And so, begrudgingly, they stayed back, making no attempts to charge and saying nothing that might make them even more suspicious in their eyes.

Looking to Mrs. Maia, who nodded with her arms crossed, Mr. Clubtail leaned down and grasped the child's scruff in his mouth, taking care not to harm the tied-up hatchling. Turning, he followed Mrs. Maia before said female glared over her shoulder at the duo who was still wishing them dead.

"Come on, we don't have all night!"

Reluctantly, grumbling vile words under their breath, the two Domeheads allowed themselves to be led to the meeting place, knowing that this won't be good news at all…

END OF CHAPTER 12

"You hold the answers deep within your own mind. Consciously you've forgotten it. That's the way the mind works. Whenever something is too unpleasant, too shameful for us to entertain, we reject it and erase it from our memories, but the imprint is always there. Nothing is ever really forgotten." -a quote I got somewhere (I can't recall where) that inspired the flashback scene with Cera!

Oooooo, boy! Looks like the Domeheads are gonna be in a big heap of trouble. Will they manage to talk their way out of it, or will it be the end of the line for them? Find out in the next chappy that might come Thursday; that's when I get another day off from work! :D

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
YAY! Finally someone catches them in the act, and looks like those domeheads are f***ed! Good thing, I hope they get killed, especially by the adults whose hatchlings they murdered! Please update soon! I love this!

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
YAY! Finally someone catches them in the act, and looks like those domeheads are f***ed! Good thing, I hope they get killed, especially by the adults whose hatchlings they murdered! Please update soon! I love this!

I've updated soon, now let's see if your hope becomes reality!! Here's the next chappy!!

Chapter 13

Cepher stood in the center of the Rock Circle with his arms crossed, wondering just how he was going to get out of this one. He's been caught harming a hatchling and it turns out, that's only the beginning. As he turned at the sound of some new arrivals to the Rock Circle, he saw Mrs. Maia return with Kosh, whom was holding the little sharptooth in his mouth. Pacia and Rus arrived immediately after and saw their leader in… Instantly a look of horror flickered on their faces as they knew something was definitely not right. Unsure what to do, they stood frozen for a moment and didn't move until they saw Cepher nod them over with undisguised fury. They dashed over quickly and, not wasting a beat, Pacia whispered under her breath the only question residing in her mind in their current situation.

"What's going on?"

Cepher didn't answer as he watched Kosh place the sharptooth a ways next to them, Mrs. Maia reaching down to untie his bonds. Upon being freed, the child stood up and rubbed his snout and wrist, which were red with painful sores.

Chomper was never so happy to see the Valley residents. He was terrified of the Domehead's captivity, and was starting to lose hope when there were no signs of escape. Standing here now, he noticed that all the hostile attention was on the Domeheads instead of him and he wondered what had happened. He couldn't get the opportunity to ask when Mr. Threehorn started the meeting, voice heavy in rage.

"Tonight is different than all other nights as it was not Chomper that committed terrible crimes, but the Domehead leader known as Cepher. He has been caught red-handed chasing my children with the intent to kill and succeeded in harming my youngest, Tricia."

Mutters arose immediately from the crowd, filled with disbelief and anger for what they were hearing. Chomper himself could hardly believe it; his luck just couldn't be this good, could it? Finally, those Domeheads were caught doing something and this was the best opportunity he'll ever have to expose the truth, so he'll have to take full advantage of it. Poor Tricia, though… He looked over at the little hatchling that stood by Cera, nurturing leaves covering her injuries. He hoped she would be okay and he was about to voice his sympathies for the child when another voice cut in first.

"I had no intentions of killing anyone, horn-face." Cepher growled defiantly. "I admit to harming the child in a fit of rage, but next time, you should've been more careful in making sure your little brat didn't intrude on our territory."

"We weren't anywhere near your territory!" Cera exclaimed, feeling safe enough in the presence of her father to openly call out the larger dinosaur on his lie. "I saw you far from your stupid clearing and Tricia never runs away from anything!" Unfortunately… she had the brief thought, but made no efforts to voice it.

"How do you explain that away?!" Mr. Threehorn demanded, glaring relentlessly at the offenders.

"Easy. Your pathetic excuse for a hatchling's lying, as kids always d-"

"No, I'm not! I would never lie about this!" Cera retorted, cutting the Domehead off but falling quiet when Tria gave her a look that communicated for her to wait her turn before speaking again. Topsy, however, was a high authority figure in the Great Valley and he wasn't restricted on when to speak the way his daughter was.

"She would never lie about this!" he repeated her words with a huff. "I taught her better than that!" He glanced over in Chomper's direction and continued, the anger never leaving his voice for even a second. "And it seems your colleagues have kidnapped Chomper while you were gone, or did you order them to do it?"

Before Cepher could respond, Chomper saw the opportunity and jumped on it with more intent than if it was the tastiest Crawler in the world, pointing a claw at the trio. "He told them to and they wanted to follow his orders! They were going to frame me again and were trying kill Tricia to do it!"

This got gasps from the surrounding crowds, each not too sure how to react as the sharptooth's previous 'the-Domeheads-did-it' claim might actually have weight to it, much more weight than any of them has previously imagined. But the Domehead leader wasn't going to give in so easily and he growled out his words with an extremely hostile underlying hiss.

"That's a load of sharptooth dirt!" he cursed, not missing a single beat as he continued, his companions barely restraining themselves from lashing out at the youngster. "The Threehorn hatchlings I attacked for intrusion. I admit, harming the youngest one was out-of-line and I wasn't thinking too clearly when I did it. But I had no intention to kill either of them. And the sharptooth wasn't 'kidnapped'. We merely took him under a stricter vigilance, as I doubt an old fool like Thickhead, or whatever his stupid name is, could be a sufficient guard."

There was incredibly thick silence as everyone was trying to comprehend the situation and make their judgment based on it. However, it wasn't over when Mr. Threehorn looked over to Cera.

"Cera, you told me you had something important to say in this meeting?"

The older child nodded and she looked around before piping up, her voice easily loud enough as she told what she felt was a very significant story. "I remember now, when I was much younger, my friends and I were on our way to the Valley for the first time. I found myself alone and I bumped into these three. They tried to kill me once they saw me and…" She looked over to her friends, pawing the ground a bit as she continued. "And I would've been dead by now if the others hadn't shown up, looking like a great big, black, gooey monster..."

More silence, broken only from the growing snarls of the Domeheads. The trio has killed and attempted to kill many hatchlings, so it was difficult to remember anyone specific. But now they recalled their encounter with this particular hatchling. They were sleeping after a satisfying meal and she literally slammed right into Cepher. Although they weren't particularly hungry, they attacked her anyways for their usual reasons of fun and hatred... although a snack wasn't entirely excluded as an option either. They would've gotten their toy/dessert when a huge…something made its terrifying appearance. Up till now, they had no idea what that creature was, but hearing it was just a bunch of stupid kids made the anger almost too much to bear. And that anger was only going to get stronger when the young Threehorn added something else.

"There was a dead hatchling near them too! If what Chomper's saying about them is true, then I don't doubt they killed that one."

Chomper felt a swell of joy when he heard Cera back him up. Wasn't it not long ago that she openly accused him of being responsible for all this? And now… He would hug her, but now was not the time. Looking over to the Domeheads, he saw them looking absolutely infuriated and he was a bit reluctant to push on. But he knew he had to; the lives of every hatchling in this Valley depended on it!

"While I was sniffing for clues earlier, I noticed that every missing hatchling scent had yours intermingled with it. And that crevice I followed Thud in, it smells just like you," He glared straight at Cepher, his sharptooth instincts causing an angry-sounding growl to rise up as he thought of all the things those Domeheads did and what they no doubt will keep on doing if he doesn't confront them once and for all! "You know of that opening and you were going to use it as an excuse while I was gone, weren't you? Having used me up and thrown me out, I bet you three have all kinds of back-up plans, all so you can keep killing babies like the cowardly monsters you are!"

"You good for nothing, carcass-crunching, son of a tar pit!" Rus practically roared right at Chomper, unable to take it anymore. The crowd gasped at the exceptionally bad language and some shielded the ears of the children present.

No longer tolerating such words especially in front of the young ones, Grandpa put on a reprimanding look as he spoke up. "There is no need for such harsh-"

"Oh, shut it, you old coot!" Rus snarled before charging right at Chomper, who cried out before Mr. Threehorn intervened and slammed the other dinosaur aside with his own charge. Once more, silence fell in the clearing as the Threehorn stood defensively in front of Chomper, glaring as Rus got back up to his feet. The other two Domeheads did nothing to help their companion and in fact, glared at him and his foolishness. Such a rash behavior could've made this whole thing worse and they didn't need that! So when the younger male joined up with them, Cepher gave him a reprimanding whack with his tail, done so strongly that it knocked the smaller dinosaur down. Not done with him, Cepher planted his foot on Rus' neck, leaning down to whisper softly through clenched teeth.

"Do you have any idea what you've just done? Thanks to your little stunt, I don't think we can get out of this mess. I swear, Rus, if we live through this, I'm gonna make you wish these idiots have killed you instead." Cepher snarled savagely. Rus didn't reply at all, stock still with his eyes firmly closed in pain, fear, and embarrassment, not wanting to do anything that might fuel his leader's rage. After that dark promise of future inflicted harm, Cepher lifted his foot off and roughly yanked Rus to his own feet. Keeping his gaze down, the humiliated Domehead wandered to Pacia's side, only to earn a hiss as the female stepped away from him. Looking around the observant crowd, Cepher knew that they weren't going to save themselves now, and prepared himself for the next move.

"I believe that speaks for itself." Mrs. Maia said, after a moment of tense and awkward silence. "It's clear that these three are certainly violent enough to kill our children, and would've done so both before and now if Threehorn hadn't acted so heroically."

"But why would you three do such a thing? Harming adults I could maybe understand, but children?" Mrs. Swimmer said in true horror. "Have you no shame!?"

At this, Cepher snorted, knowing there was no use lying anymore. They were found out and he saw no further reason in keeping the charade up and bury themselves into a deeper hole of trouble. In fact, why should he lie to begin with? Everything, since the very beginning, has always been for their own survival and he saw nothing wrong with anything they had committed: killing hatchlings had always lessened the competition, eating those hatchlings is a natural diet for them now, and using the sharptooth as a shield had ensured they got everything they needed for life up to this point. And so, he replied with a haughty tone, standing tall in a defiant posture. "No, I don't feel shame, and neither does Pacia or Rus. We kill your stupid offspring simply because we hate them, and it's fun."

The way he said that last part was so dark and sadistic, it sent chills down the spines of many. They couldn't believe what they heard, and their disbelief was only going to get stronger as Cepher thought to himself for a further moment, contemplating whether or not to let the entire truth out. Telling his audience would obviously enrage every single one of them, but perhaps sharing a true legitimate reason will make them see their logic and will lessen their sentence after hearing their story. It was a gamble, certainly, but it's one Cepher knew he had to make. And so he continued, speaking calmly and steadily.

"Several Cold Times ago, my companions and I were on the verge of death from the lack of food. There was not a single leaf, no Tree Fuzz, not even a shriveled up Sweet Bubble in sight no matter where we went. Absolutely nothing. Our only hope was our journey to this Valley and even that seemed like an impossible goal to reach with every passing day..."

He winced as his memories went back to that fateful night, how hungry and desperate they were for even a bite of something, -anything!-, to eat. It seemed like a lifetime ago, and yet was so very clear and vivid that his stomach had to be convinced that it was all behind them. Glancing at his companions, whom stayed solemnly quiet in their own reveries, he continued.

"But then I had an epiphany and I realized we did have food...in the form of your hatchlings." He ignored the startled screams and cries the crowd expressed when he said that, their eyes wide and staring in horror, and he continued in an unwavering tone. "That was our saving grace and what allowed us to live as long as we did. We had no choice but to take every opportunity presented to us. And although we now have plenty of green food, we still choose to honor our decision by continuing it to this very day." He smirked as he crossed his arms, meeting the gaze of every parent whom has lost a hatchling, his mocking arrogance returning at full force. "Those missing hatchlings you keep making a big deal about? We ate them. And you know what else? They all tasted. So. Good."

This got an incredibly disgusted and shocked response from the others and even Mr. Threehorn looked astounded by what he was hearing. Chomper certainly wasn't expecting it, and he let his mouth drop open. He thought he had them all figured out, but they were… eating the hatchlings?! They were even more unnatural than he originally thought and he could barely wrap his head around it. It just wasn't right! These Domeheads had to be faking it, pulling some kind of weird, sadistic prank. They made that whole story up and now they're going to laugh and taunt the crowd for believing any of it, right? But the young sharptooth knew deep down that this was serious, that there wasn't a hint of deception in any of those words that obviously meant something to the Domehead trio.

Amused by everyone's stunned silence, Cepher glanced again at the other two before continuing, holding his head high as he indeed taunted his audience. "You all heard right. We've been eating your precious children and you were all so gullible enough to believe us when we blamed the sharptooth. Really, it was your ignorance that costed so many lives. How you all soooo easily turned on one of your own was simply priceless."

Again only silence as everyone exchanged glances at each other, everything finally beginning to sink in. And as it did, the hostility of the Rock Circle grew beyond any intensity it's ever reached before. Enraged parents began yelling in fury when Mr. Threehorn roared out for everyone's silence. Glaring so many thorns at the Domeheads that they might've turned into a thornbush if it was possible, he continued, struggling to keep his tone relatively calm.

"Never have I heard of such a disgusting and unnatural act. You three are abominations, freaks among Leaf Eaters. And if you wanna act like sharpteeth, then we'll treat you like sharpteeth, which is pretty generous as I believe you're even worse than they are. We will not banish you three as doing so will only spread the trouble to everyone else, as it's obvious you are all a danger to everyone that you meet. As such, I hereby sentence Cepher, Pacia, and Rus to death."

Before any of the three Domeheads could react, the crowd let out a unified cry and charged right for them. Tensing, each of the three had the urge to fight back, but the odds will be so heavily against them. So instead, they were forced to turn and run, the angry mob chasing after them.

Chomper lay curled up, trembling as the grown-ups stampeded above him. Some footfalls were too uncomfortably close to him, and he was afraid he'll get squashed in the mayhem. Luckily, as soon as a break arrived, he felt something gently grab his tail and lift him out of harm's way. It was Grandma, carrying the young sharptooth safely away and setting him down next to Littlefoot, to whom the youngster huddled against. That was way too close.

Cepher and his subordinates showed no signs of slowing down, frantically heading for the nearest Valley exit. Several Flyers had swooped down upon them, and they ducked to receive only stinging pecking wounds. Some of the smaller Feathered Flyers were bolder and fluttered all around the three Domeheads, clawing and biting as they hoped to slow the fugitives down. But all they really were was an annoyance and Cepher snapped his jaws at them. He succeeded in grabbing one, earning a squawk of pain and causing the rest to scatter. Killing his captive with a tensing of his jaw muscles and throwing the body aside, he glanced behind himself and barely avoided a swing from a Spiketail.

Snarling defensively, he charged at the attacking dinosaur as soon as an opening made itself available, slamming hard into the Spiketail's side and earning a cry as the four-footer fell to the ground, Cepher resuming his retreat immediately after. Quickly glancing about, he spotted Pacia and Rus attempting to evade some of the mob's faster members. Gaining a quick lead, several Rainbowfaces attempted to cut the two off, only to pay for such a move when the Domeheads relentlessly smashed into a few of them. Cepher would smirk in approval if the situation hadn't been so dire. And it was only going to get worse as another Leaf Eater made its attempt to cut him off in turn. Seeing what it was, the leader of the retreating trio skid to a stop.

It was a light brown-colored Domehead, one of the locals. The trio barely interacted much with Domeheads of the Great Valley, although they had certainly showed much friendlier behavior towards them, being the same species and all. Cepher recalled having a few civil debates with this particular individual, mostly on why the local Domeheads have abandoned their wild heritage and chose to live peacefully and without insult alongside the inferior Leaf Eaters. But those interesting and sometimes amusing conversations meant nothing now as it was clear Cepher wasn't about to get passed this point without a fight. Growling at his fellow Domehead, he knew he had no time for a ritualized fight and, although he was reluctant to harm another of his kind, he had no choice as he lunged for the other dinosaur. His opponent lunged in turn and a loud impact between the two practically echoed through the Valley.

Normally, two fighting Domeheads would either pull away for another charge or start pushing and shoving. But this was not a normal fight and Cepher added his claws into the mix, slashing at his enemy's body and earning a shriek of surprised pain as the other Domehead pulled away. Taking full advantage, Cepher charged, slamming full force into the other Domehead's underbelly and digging the horns on his nose as deeply as he could. He felt claws and teeth tearing at his back in retaliation and he hissed in pain as he stepped back and snapped around, slamming his muscular tail into his fellow Leaf Eater. This Domehead has obviously lived in this Valley for a long time, having lost the edge that comes with unrelenting aggressiveness that was necessary in the Mysterious Beyond. Not failing to notice that, Cepher didn't hesitate and tackled the slightly-dazed dinosaur before him.

Both rolling along with ground with vicious snarls and screeches, claws slashing and teeth snapping, it became obvious that Cepher was the superior Domehead, his instincts complimented with something his opponent didn't have: Predatory experience. He knew how to go for the kill and he hardly needed a split-second's opportunity to clamp his jaws into the other Domehead's throat. The brown Domehead's cries were immediately cut off as he found he couldn't breathe and his struggles took on a more defensive and desperate state. Cepher didn't want to have to resort to this, but he knew that his attacker wasn't going to show submission no matter the circumstance; this Valley Leaf Eater was willing for a fight to the death and that's what he'll get. So Cepher tightened his jaws, holding down his struggling victim whose thrashes were weakening by the second.

Casting a glance, he saw one group of Leaf Eaters were closing the distance to him uncomfortably fast and he knew he had to end this quickly. Giving a vicious shake, putting all his upper strength into it, he felt the other Domehead's struggles die down to a complete halt and he released the limp and bleeding dinosaur, only having time to offer a sympathetic glance at the unmoving body before running off again. A jolt of pain wracked his body from his new injuries, but he ignored them as he continued his retreat, always keeping tabs on his companions.

None of the trio were not going to give in to their fate easily and it was only when an unexpected attack from above occurred that something happened.

Pacia suddenly found herself blinded when a small Flyer threw itself right into her face, hanging on and allowing its body and wings to block the female's vision. It was a risky move, but worth it when Pacia tripped over as a result. Instantly, she was engulfed in a furious crowd, their angry yells barely doing anything to muffle her screams.

Instantly, both Cepher and Rus froze in their tracks, knowing without even looking that one of their own has been caught. For Rus, the shrill cry was all that existed in the world, and defying every instinct to keep running, he made no hesitation in rushing back for her. No way was he gonna let her fall victim to this. It was all his fault anyways; if he hadn't tried to kill that sharptooth, if he had just controlled himself, then maybe this whole thing wouldn't have happened and they would've been saved with a less harsh punishment. Maybe they could've even been able to talk their way out completely and without having to tell everyone the truth if he hadn't been so…stupid!

Shoving passed the other Leaf Eaters in desperate fury, he winced as pain began to start all over his body as the crowd shared their attacks on him as well. Ignoring all this as best he could, he reached Pacia and grabbed hold of her bloodied form. Pushing his way towards the outer edge, he gathered his strength and shoved the nearly-unconscious Pacia free of the mob. Cepher hurried over to his injured comrade and pulled her to her feet before turning his attention to Rus, whom was now the very center of the crowd's attention.

The leader was about to rush in to grab him when the smaller Domehead's words rang out over the din of the mob. "Leave me! Get Pacia to safety!"

For a second, Cepher wasn't too sure how to respond. He had to save his companions, and choosing between them was not an easy decision. Go for Rus, he'll be leaving Pacia defenseless... Save Pacia, and Rus will be lost to them. But eventually, he reluctantly heeded Rus' word and sacrifice and he prompted Pacia to start running despite her condition. The female could hardly manage the feat and she was relying mostly on Cepher for support. The larger Domehead knew that they were still being pursued despite the majority of attention on their fallen comrade.

Spotting the Secret Caverns, he knew that if they could reach the crevice and squeeze out, they could avoid getting caught by the larger members of the Valley. The smaller ones, he can deal with on his own. Yes, he was injured from the persistent Flyer attacks and from that fight with the Domehead, but he was nowhere near the severity of Pacia's wounds. He'll just have to try his best.

Arriving at the Caverns, the two dinosaurs reached the crevice and Cepher encouraged Pacia to climb through on her own. Although she was barely able to keep awake, Pacia shakily squeezed herself through, holding in her cries of pain as the unpleasant walls scrapped her maimed body and grew red with her blood. Intent on earning her time, Cepher faced the oncoming mob and kicked up some dirt with a snort.

Not bothering to choose any particular target, he lunged with unmatched ferocity, tackling down a Spikethumb and tearing into it with all the savagery of a cornered sharptooth. Of course, the other dinosaur fought back, driving his defensive weapons into his attacker, drawing long gashes from Cepher's body. The Domehead ignored this as he continued to rip at his target before spontaneously leaping for someone else, slamming his head full-force into a Fan-Back Swimmer. He was giving her the same treatment before he was hit alongside his head with an excruciating force, knocking him off his victim, and it was only his body's natural resiliency to impact that kept him from falling unconscious in an instant.

Recovering as quickly as he could, knowing that even a second's delay could spell his doom, Cepher rolled back to his feet and snarled at Kosh, whom was swinging his tail for the Domehead once again. Cepher jumped out of the way and backed against the crevice, listening for signs that Pacia had reached the other side. There were a few more crumbling sounds from within and Cepher snarled at the gathering crowd beginning to surround him. Baring his sharper teeth defiantly, he heard silence from the crevice before turning and squeezing inside himself. The instant he did, he heard and felt an impact against the wall and knew the other Leaf Eaters were trying to trap him in a cave-in, perhaps kill him with it. Rocks began tumbling from above and he disregarded them as he forced himself through a few more tugs and finally hit open air of the Mysterious Beyond.

Catching his breath and selectively ignoring as much pain as he could afford, he glanced around for Pacia to find her lying on the ground several feet away, motionless. His heart skipped a beat and he hurried by her side, leaning down to gently nudge her snout with his own.

"Pacia? Pacia, speak to me!" he commanded of her, shaking her a bit. She was still breathing, he could tell, though it was bordering nonexistent. He heard a few attempts to mumble and he strained his ears to listen. But it was useless as she began coughing out blood before finally going completely still, where not even her last breath was detectable.

Silence filled the thick air around him and Cepher, for once, was at a stand-still, physically and mentally stunned by what had happened right before him. In less than a few moments, he lost practically the only companions, the only friends he's had for the vast majority of his life; they were practically family to him. And now…

Feeling a tickle on his cheek, it took him a while to understand that a few drops of tears were tracing down his face. It's been a long time since he felt any of the sort, and he wasn't too sure if he should attempt to force them away or not. Regardless, he stepped closer to his deceased companion and softly began licking the blood from her face before laying himself down beside her, curling his tail around her gradually cooling body as he rested his head across her neck.

He was willing to stay like this for an indefinite amount of time, when he heard rustling vegetation nearby. He ignored it at first; if those Leaf Eaters were foolish enough to come out here after him, then they'll soon pay the price. But it was soon clear that it wasn't the Valley residents at all as a growl emerge from the concealing plants and a green Fast Biter emerged into view. Catching sight of the sharptooth, Cepher immediately growled out a warning, not budging from his spot as he held Pacia's body protectively close. For once, he was in no mood to fight, but he wasn't about to let the predator take Pacia away. Not while he was still breathing...

Pacing at a safe distance, Thud evaluated the Domeheads in front of him. It seems the little biter came through with his promise after all and Thud allowed a smirk to grace his features as he cautiously moved a bit closer to his potential prey. When he left the Valley and returned to his companions, he slept the rest of the night before waking and telling Redclaw that he was going to go off on his own for a while. The larger sharptooth didn't seem to particularly care and Screech asked no questions either as such a thing was not unusual. Scouting the Great Wall relentlessly all day, he's been searching for signs of the Domeheads, careful not to keep his hopes too high in case the little biter's plan failed.

Luckily, though, it seems the plan went through and the exiled Domeheads now made for such tempting targets. One was dead, obviously, and the other was heavily injured with bleeding gashes along its body. But he wasn't going to let his guard down as these types of Leaf Eaters should never be taken lightly even when wounded; just one well-aimed hit from that skull could kill him, or at the very least incapacitate him. No, he'll be needing back-up and he lifted his head to let out a loud call for assistance from his pack-mates. Knowing they'll be here any minute, the Fast Biter bided his time, beginning to test how much he can get away with regarding his prey's limitations. Staying low to the ground, Thud slunk closer, acknowledging the Domehead's angry snarls with the occasional pause. He was highly interested in the dead female and he was willing to take a risk for just one bite.

Judging the Fast Biter has come close enough, Cepher stood up and stepped defensively in front of Pacia, tail swishing in a clear show that he was pissed. The sharptooth hesitated once more, before walking a bit off to the side. Cepher kept an eye on the carnivore as it stared at Pacia's body with obvious hunger. Lowering his head, he charged straight for the sharptooth, ignoring the pain brought up from the action. Instantly, the Fast Biter dashed off, the enraged Leaf Eater stopping at the spot the carnivore once stood. With his injuries, chasing the Fast Biter away completely was next to impossible and it seemed the sharptooth knew that as it too came to stop a short distance away, looking back at him.

Clenching his claws, Cepher glared death at the predator, never taking his eyes off it as it began to circle him again. It began making mock attacks, but the former leader was an experienced fighter and was not fooled by any of those pseudo-charges. Standing his ground firmly, he was practically daring the sharptooth to launch a direct attack on him. He may be in pain, but he was more than willing to tear into the Fast Biter for the sake of protecting what remained of his herd. But the Fast Biter held no true interest in him just yet and has actually managed to get within feet of Pacia, those mock charges a mere distraction rather than a way to get him to drop his guard. Clearly, he's underestimated this sharptooth. Cursing under his breath, Cepher made another full-on charge, intent on flat-out killing the sharptooth for daring to get that close to his fallen comrade.

Thud saw the charge just as he was leaning over to take a bite out of the tempting corpse, and having no time to turn and run, he jumped straight up into the air in an attempt to avoid a direct hit. Feeling a flash of panic, he felt the powerful blow grazing his underside and as he landed atop the Leaf Eater's head, he dug his claws into the Domehead's back to avoid stumbling over completely and making himself an easy target. A sharp pain erupted from his belly as the Domehead hooked his twin nose-horns into the Fast Biter's skin and threw him off violently. Flying through the air, Thud twisted his tail to right himself before landing on all fours, standing and dashing off as he heard the Domehead charge again. Knowing he wasn't going to get chased, he only retreated a safe distance before stopping and turning back to face his prey.

Stupid Leaf Eater; its friend was dead and there was no point in protecting her like this. Growling in irritation, Thud was about to try his luck again when he felt rumbles underfoot. Something large was coming and judging from the strides, it was his back-up. Grinning at the Domehead, he looked over as his pack-mates came into view.

Glaring over in the direction the rumbles were coming from, Cepher felt a spike of panic when he saw two more sharpteeth stalking towards him. One of them was another Fast Biter and the other... Snarling menacingly, he began kicking up dirt, ready to charge at an instant as the new arrivals cautiously began pacing a distance away, sniffing in his direction as the green Fast Biter called out to its companions. The larger sharptooth accompanying them seemed rather pleased and Cepher stood up straight, glaring at the trio with every last bit of anything he had…

The blue Fast Biter sped over to take up position on the opposite side of the Domehead from its green counterpart, the largest sharptooth in the group coming to rest a reasonable distance in front of the Cepher, cornering him against the wall and the now blocked crevice. With nowhere to run, Cepher stood protectively by Pacia's side, clenching his claws as the sharpteeth began closing in for the kill…

END OF CHAPTER 13

Whoooooooooooooooo! Almost done! Just gotta short epilogue to submit! *starts dancing like a dork!* :celebrate:

I feel bad though. Believe it or not, I do love the Domeheads very much (they're in my top three fave LBT characters of all time; right below Sierra and just above Thud), and doing this to them made me sad.  :( Don't worry though! I've intended this fate from the very beginning, so none of your desires to see the trio dead influenced me! Though that ending does seem a tiny bit open, doesn't it  :p ?

Chomper98

• Grand Admiral
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
AWESOME! For once I'm glad Redclaw is here, kill him! KILL THAT NAZI DINOSAUR! :anger

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Another great chapter!

I especially liked the point when Cepher finally realized the wrongs that he did, and that it was his fault he got his only two friends killed. I... almost felt sorry for him.  :anger

I'm just waiting to see what the epilogue holds. Maybe Chomper telling Littlefoot about his little deal with the devil?  :angel
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

FlipperBoidSkua

• Petrie
    • View Profile
THE FINAL CHAPTER!!! WHOOOO!!! :celebrate: And before I forget, I also added an extra scene in the previous chapter during the Domehead's retreat. Just something I felt like doing! But first, I must torture with the traditional replies! :lol

AWESOME! For once I'm glad Redclaw is here, kill him! KILL THAT NAZI DINOSAUR!

Whooo!! I'm glad you think so!! And I don't think I've ever heard someone say they're glad for Redclaw's presence! You're enthusiasm about it certainly gets a laugh from me!

Another great chapter!

I especially liked the point when Cepher finally realized the wrongs that he did, and that it was his fault he got his only two friends killed. I... almost felt sorry for him.

I'm just waiting to see what the epilogue holds. Maybe Chomper telling Littlefoot about his little deal with the devil?

Thank you!! I'm glad you felt something ALMOST like sympathy towards the villains; you're one of the few who even acknowledges it, even if it's an 'almost' :DD

And oh, I think it'll be best if it's Chomper's little secret. He can't be making his deals with the forces of evil public, now can he? :lol:

HERE IT IS!! THE MOMENT WE'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR!!! The stalling of the next chapter, see you guys, I'm heading for bed! Just kidding; here we go!

-~-

Epilogue

"I do believe we owe Chomper a truly sincere apology." Grandpa Longneck started in another meeting held just as the Bright Circle was rising into the sky. In the center was Chomper once again, but unlike before, he bore a huge smile on his face, his body tense not in fear or anger, but in excitement and happiness. All around him were the other grown-ups, their faces heavy with sincerity as they each began voicing their humblest apologies to the little sharptooth. Rubbing the back of his head in modesty, Chomper bashfully chimed in, voice only just loud enough for everyone to hear.

"It's okay; it wasn't anyone's fault..." At least not anyone still here, his thoughts reminded and he felt a very small spike of remorse and was confused by it. Those Domeheads used him, framed him, tortured him, and tried to kill him, twice! Why should he feel bad about their deaths? He supposed it was just part of his nature, to want the best for everyone, including his enemies. But in the end, he supposed that their deaths were necessary to ensure the greater good. He has heard the grown-ups say how they managed to end the life of one Domehead, and severely injured and chased the other two into the Mysterious Beyond. It felt horrible hearing how many were injured in the process; a couple of the resident Leaf Eaters were actually killed and the rest were treated for their grave wounds and was now resting at their nest. The very last word he heard of the entire situation was from a Flyer, carrying news that the female Domehead has perished and their leader was under siege by Redclaw, Screech, and Thud.

At least he kept his promise. Thud had given him what could've been the biggest break of his life and the Fast Biter deserved a good meal for his efforts.

Hearing the rumbles of footsteps and turning to Mr. Threehorn as the adult walked over to him, he felt his heart soar when the usually gruff and stern grown-up gave a very rare warm smile, directed at him! Mr. Threehorn has never smiled at him before, not even once, and he made a mental point to remember this moment forever.

"Chomper, while I have always hated those three vermin, I've been foolish to believe them over you. I personally apologize and I'd also like to say, thank you." He glanced back at his two daughters, knowing how close he was to losing them both forever. That thought sent a wave of emotion washing over him, especially the thought of losing Cera, seeing as she was the last remnant of his original family. He didn't know what he would've done if their fates turned out differently and he knew he had the little sharptooth to thank. He wasn't too proud to admit it, especially at this point. "If you hadn't returned, my daughters, their friends, and every hatchling in the Valley could've been lost."

'I just wanted to do the right thing; no thanks needed!' little Chomper wanted to say, but when he opened his mouth, nothing came out. He just couldn't get himself to verbally respond to this special moment, so, instead, he ran up to Mr. Threehorn's front leg and hugged it as tight as he could, snuggling his sniffer into the Threehorn's dark scales. The old dinosaur froze for a moment with wide eyes, unsure how to properly react to this gesture. Like his oldest daughter, he wasn't fond of hugs, especially if they came from sharpteeth, and he glanced around at the others to see them grinning good-naturedly at him and his predicament.

Clearing his throat as he tried to keep his pride intact whilst not being hostile, he gently pushed Chomper off him. "That's enough of that. A simple 'You're Welcome' would've been good enough." Chomper couldn't keep in a chuckle at the grown-up's reaction, the others sharing his amusement before quieting down when they saw Mr. Threehorn still had one last thing to add. "I think I speak for everyone when I say: Welcome back to the Valley."

The little sharptooth felt his heart practically leap into his throat. This was the best thing he could ever hope for: true acceptance back into the Valley, by Mr. Threehorn nonetheless! Looking around, he saw the other grown-ups, including the usually doubtful ones like Mrs. Maia, smiling warmly in agreement. He remembered before, when he knew that he was never truly welcomed by everyone. Well, now that feeling was evaporating completely, leaving behind the sense of belonging far greater than he's ever known. One thought entered his mind however and he turned back to Mr. Threehorn, his voice eager and his eyes shining as he spoke. "Does that mean I can play with my friends again?"

Grandpa Longneck looked over to Mr. Threehorn as well, seeing that he was the one that imposed that rule in the first place. The old Leaf Eater hesitated for a moment, thinking hard to himself. Even before this whole mess, he never really approved of Chomper playing with the children. With him being a sharptooth, it was always a risky thing to allow as there's always the danger of the little carnivore turning on them, or, more likely, making a mistake and allowing his predatory instincts to take hold for even a split second. But seeing the recent events and knowing exactly where Chomper stood in loyalty and that the little sharptooth was fully capable of controlling himself in even the harshest of circumstances, he felt the little carnivore has proven himself more than trustworthy. But the Threehorn ain't about to look soft about it and he made an effort to look reluctant despite his true feelings.

"As much as I don't like it... I suppose it will be okay."

With that, the gang cheered and practically leapt with joy before they all hurried over to a delighted Chomper, each hugging the little sharptooth in turn and receiving tight hugs in return. Oh, how Chomper has missed them so much since his banishment, and although he's had a brief encounter with Littlefoot on his return, it was incredibly short-lived. It was practically torture seeing his friends during his probation, but not being allowed anywhere near them. But now-

"Wait!" Littlefoot piped up as he stepped back, looking about before turning his attention to Chomper. "But what about Ruby?"

Chomper felt a jolt in his mind; in his excitement, he almost forgot! It made him feel a bit ashamed, forgetting about his friend like that. But given how much emotion he was currently going through, he supposed it was normal. He wondered if she was alright and told himself not to worry. Ruby's been living in the Mysterious Beyond almost all her life and she has her family to protect her. She knows how to take care of herself, and really not a lot of sharpteeth would be able to catch her if she ran full speed. Still... Fast Biters and especially Redclaw were always a problem and he'd rather she didn't stay there longer than necessary. Casting a glance at the Great Wall, he turned to everyone else in the crowd.

"She's still with her family in the Mysterious Beyond. We have to go find her so she can come back!" he told them, to which Mrs. Flyer stepped forward with her usual calm and kind expression, not too fazed by this 'problem' as she had the perfect solution.

"I can go ahead and look for her then. Being a Flyer, it shouldn't take me too long." Seeing the others nod in agreement, Mrs. Flyer turned towards the nearest portion of the Great Wall and spread her wings, about to leap into flight when Chomper piped up hurriedly, rushing beside her so as to stop her before take-off.

"Oh! Mrs. Flyer? Can I ask a favor?" he asked almost nervously, not knowing how the others would react to his request.

"Go ahead, Chomper." Petrie's mother replied, closing her wings to show that he had her full attention as he fiddled a bit with his claws, wondering how to phrase his question and his reasons for asking it.

"Um... I don't want Ruby to stay in the Mysterious Beyond, but..." Sighing, he looked up at the Flyer. "But when I was with her during my...uh...banishment, I never saw her so happy before, being with her family again. I don't want that happiness to go away by taking her from them just to watch over me. So, to keep her safe and keep her happy, can Ruby's family stay here too?"

This got a surprised look from the Flyer and she looked to the other grown-ups, knowing that their words were an important part to this matter as well. The adults glanced at each other, muttering and weighing just how much of a risk it would be allowing Ruby's family to stay. Fast Runners, especially adult Fast Runners, were part-time carnivores, and sometimes even nest-raiders. Allowing them in here could be considered the equivalent of allowing an Egg Stealer. But seeing Ruby's dietary behavior during her stay here, they learned that Fast Runners could also be completely content with plants and Snapping Shells. Still, after just having carnivorous Domeheads around, would it really be wise to take the chance? Well, unlike those three Domeheads, Fast Runners weren't a viciously hostile species and if Ruby's kind heart was anything to go by, perhaps her family deserves a chance to be welcomed, even if it's under strict vigilance.

Considering the drawbacks and the solutions to said drawbacks, the adults looked to Grandpa Longneck and nodded. The elder nodded back before looking to Chomper.

"I don't see why not." he said with a warm smile. This once more got cheers from the kids as Mrs. Flyer spread her wings and took off towards the Mysterious Beyond, gliding effortlessly over the Great Wall and disappearing from sight. With Mama Flyer's departure, Grandpa returned his attention to Littlefoot and the rest of the Gang. "Why don't you young ones go and play? Us grown-ups need to discuss several other things, as well as needing to check up again on the injured."

The kids nodded and rushed off out of the Rock Circle together, talking over one another on how much they missed Chomper and although it was a bit difficult to keep track on who was saying what, Chomper happily soaked up the attention before they stopped by an open field.

"What game would you like to play, Chomper?" Cera asked, allowing the sharptooth to call first dibs on the game as she felt the little guy deserved it after all he's been through. The young sharptooth took a moment to think through his list of favorite games before grinning as he settled on a game that now held a new meaning to him.

"Let's play the Tree Sweet game! With Littlefoot and Petrie on my team!" But with the new meaning came something else and he couldn't help but add something hastily with a serious expression. "But if we lose the ball and it smushes on someone's head again, I don't wanna go get it."

This cued laughter from the others and within moments of finding a suitable Tree Sweet, they were kicking it around trying to score a goal, their delighted and competitive exclamations filling the air as they played their first game together in a while. Chomper was extra energetic in his play, knowing that from now on, they'll always be like this no matter what life threw their way.

Meanwhile, In The Mysterious Beyond...

Pain and agony was all he knew as he stumbled along, barely able to keep his footing. Blood dripped from practically every inch of his body, and he knew he was leaving a trail for practically every sharptooth to follow. He had just barely managed to escape his previous attackers, having fought bitterly now that he had nothing to lose. He's dealt some heavy blows, although acquired even more blows in turn. The sharptooth trio had actually allowed him to retreat, content on feeding from his already dead companion, and probably knowing he was going to die soon anyway. He knew this waiting game well, as he himself have employed the method countless times on some of the larger prey he and his companions had come across.

Now, he was the prey...

He didn't know where he was going, nor did he particularly care; he was in a blood-loss induced daze, operating only by instinct until finally his legs could go no farther and he fell forward, his claws automatically shooting out to grab hold of a half-sized Twocrested Swimmer skeleton in a vain attempt to hold himself up. Breaths labored, he rested his head on the fallen dinosaur's backbone, his glazed blue eyes closing against the growing rays of the rising Bright Circle. He couldn't go on like this and he decided that he didn't really want to. Let fate decide what to do with him; he's got nothing left to live for.

He must've passed out for when he opened his eyes again, the Bright Circle was beating down on his torn body from the middle of the sky, drying some of his blood to cake against his scales. He felt a nipping pain on his neck, but he made no response to it even when a small sharptooth came into full view, perching on a rib. It was a Tiny Biter, one of the smallest of sharpteeth, and they were usually seen by the dead bodies of other dinosaurs. The injured Leaf Eater still made little response, just staring blankly at the little creature now looking back at him in curiosity. His mind must be frazzled, for the image of the little carnivore shimmered as it turned a purplish-blue color, taking on the appearance of a very familiar hatchling. He growled weakly at the hallucination and the former Tiny Biter, apparently unfazed by the feeble-sounding threat, leaned forward and bit his nose. That's when he finally reacted.

With a snap, he caught the surprised little sharptooth and bit down on it, hearing its bones crushing and its screams went dead. The hallucination evaporated on contact to reveal the real form once more, and he held the limp body in his jaws, not consciously doing anything, but beginning to chew on instinct. The pungent taste woke him completely from his stupor and his mind cleared gradually to become fully aware of what he was doing. This was the first sharptooth he's ever eaten and it was a very powerful and overwhelming taste that he personally found appealing. Now if only this sharptooth was the stupid little brat that caused his grave misfortunes...

Exhaling weakly, it took all of Cepher's strength to swallow the tiny creature before resting once more on his skeletal platform. His sense of reasoning coming back through his agony, he knew he has no choice but to stay here, perhaps rebuild a little of his strength by eating the small scavengers that will no doubt visit him. If luck was on his side, he'll get better enough to find a hiding place before the sharptooth trio began seeking him out once more. He'll recover and then join a herd of his own kind, rebuild his life from scratch. But that was if he survives, which seemed like a rather bleak concept at the moment. Blood-loss, the elements, larger sharpteeth... Practically everything was against him. Didn't matter; he'll do what he can and if he didn't make it, then it was just meant to be.

Closing his eyes once more, the images of Pacia and Rus flared in his mind's eye and a strange feeling of content washed over him, his pain disappearing slowly as he lost consciousness once more, for what could possibly be for the very last time...

END OF EPILOGUE

Would've gotten this submitted sooner, but the document it was on got deleted... Meh... So I had to rewrite it, preferably after I got over the anger. :DD I finally finished this story... One of the few of my chapter stories that's actually complete. I'm...pleasantly amazed. What also amazes me is that, this is the most successful story I've ever written! Back when I first submitted this, I would've never thought it would get as much attention as it did, especially given its slow start at gaining an audience.

Anyway, my sis should be happy now! She expressed a strong interest to read more on Cepher's supposed end, so being a good big sibling, I humored her with this chapter :) . I did leave some space for a sequel at the end, with the chance Cepher might survive. But I also left an ending as there's no guarantee that he lives passed this point. I'm not too sure yet.

I'm also thinking of several spin-off stories to this, from alternate ending one-shots to one-shots that fills in some blanks, as well as one-shots that I just felt like writing for no reason whatsoever :p . So keep an eye open for them if you're interested. I'm also working on a couple AMVs for this story, containing hand-drawn pictures from yours truly. If you guys would like to help me out with this huge project, you can feel free to draw out some stuff or some scenes from this story and give me a link so I can use it for the videos (with full credit to you, of course).

SQUEEEE! I can't thank you guys enough for motivating me to complete this! I'mma glomp all of you now! :smile

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hey just finished reading this^^ I'm impressed, very well done, solid plot everything. I still need to work on that for my stories :p
I liked that the domeheads were brought back, I'd always wondered wtf their problem was in the first movie. Awesome job on the reference, I like reading about actions and the emotions behind certain scenes in movies :D
again awesome job :DD
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein