The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The gang's ages

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
So I think it's safe to assume that, Littlefoot and Cera are about 7 or 8 in the original, and Ducky about 6. Both of them age probably no more than 2-3 years in the course of the series, if at all.

Than we have Spike and Petrie to consider. Petrie's hatching is never shown, so we don't know how much younger or older he is. In 1, 2 and 4, judging by his voice, I would consider him to be a tad older, maybe around 10. However, in 3, 5, and all the movies that follow, his voice makes me put him with Littlefoot and Cera at about 8. So it's confusing.

Than we have Spike to consider. He was born by the time the gang had reached their "permanent" ages. So he doesn't live through the timeskip that occurs early in the original movie, yet somehow is as big as Littlefoot and Cera. A long time ago, when I first joined GOF, I made a whole topic about this, btw.

Than we have Chomper to consider. He's even younger than Spike, considering he was born a movie later. Yet by movie 5, he seems to be about Ducky's age, while Ducky herself hasn't aged.

So I'm just going to assume that the characters stop aren't allowed to age much.

Here's what I've calculated:

Movie 1

Littlefoot: 7
Cera: 7
Ducky: 6 (I'm gonna assume her hatching wasn't shown chronologically in movie 1)
Petrie: 7
Spike: 0

Movie 2

Ducky: 6
Spike: 6 (6 year time gap between original and movie 2 release taken into account)

They remain that way until 5, in which Cera turn 8, making her the oldest.

Then, in 7, Ducky finally ages a year (her vocal evolution happens here) putting everyone in the gang except Spike and Cera at 7.

Than, in maybe 11, I'd have her, Cera and Spike age a year.

So than we have this:

Movies 11-13 + TV series:

Cera: 9
Ducky: 8
Spike: 7

Just my theory!

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Hmm... initially I was thinking that they'd be a year or two younger, around my age when I first started watching LBT, but in hindsight I think it's 50/50. One moment, they're 5 or 6, the next they're 7-9  :lol

In my life, I've moved around a lot, but I felt like there were like periods... 0-4.5 (no memory at all really), 4.5-5, and 5-6 when I was in the first real house, and 7-8. Then 9-12, 13-14, 15-18, and 19+

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I don't think "human age standarts" (and language learning time standarts for that matter) can be applied to the LBT dinosaurs and also we are given controversial information. The sequence of the birth scenes in the original movie would suggest for Ducky to be the oldest and it seems very likely that the thunderstorm we see in Cera's and Littlefoot's scene is the same (so they would have hatched at the same time). In LBT 5 Cera claims to be the oldest (which may be just a Cera claim) and she mentions waiting for ones hatchday (suggesting that by that time she has seen at least some of those).
Based on the original movie only however (and on the speed at which actual dinosaur species are supposed to have grown) chances are that the time leap after the hatch scenes coveres mere weeks or months rather than years. While a bit of an animators' "trick" because they needed him fully grown Spike's growing may indicate that it may not have taken years for others to reach their sizes either. For all we know the events of the first and second movie could be crammed into a very short period of time (less than a year) while only after the third and fifth movie we need sufficient time for the Valley to regrow, but by that time the characters have pretty much reached the state of growth which they will never grow out from due to story telling purposes (and not touched by Littlefoot's being able to reach that tree-star by the end of LBT 11) ;)

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I read somewhere that Littlefoot was meant to be age 5 during the events of the first movie,but don't remember where I read that or if it's even true or just fan claims.

It was never made clear if the LBT universe uses human age 'system' or not. And since no one on earth knows about how dinosaurs aged,can't be confirmed that they age like real dinosaurs.

Spike is born after the death of Littlefoot's mother,yet is as tall as Littlefoot and Cera and clearly time had passed since those two hatched...LBT logic..gotta love it.

Whatever their ages are,they seem to be locked in that age forever. I kinda did want to see  a movie where they finally did grow up.

Gotta admit,THAT would of been a way better ending to the series then that whole yellow belly deal...Littlefoot being an adult and still being called Littlefoot would be  hilarious..to me.

I myself,have no clue what ages they are. And I can not figure out what Ruby's age is since she just appeared from nowhere like she was there the whole time...not that I ever watched the series besides The Brave Longneck Scheme because I heard they bought Ali back in that one..so if it was explained about Ruby in one of the episodes..my bad...I didn't want the tv series.

On the subject on ages..

Just how old are Grandma and Grandpa?

How old is Mr Thicknose? The so claimed 'oldest in the Great Valley'

How old is Ali,Shorty and Rhett?

Guess we'll never find out,we'll just have to stick with fan theories.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon (again),Nov 23 2014 on  07:30 PM
So I think it's safe to assume that, Littlefoot and Cera are about 7 or 8 in the original, and Ducky about 6. Both of them age probably no more than 2-3 years in the course of the series, if at all.

Than we have Spike and Petrie to consider. Petrie's hatching is never shown, so we don't know how much younger or older he is. In 1, 2 and 4, judging by his voice, I would consider him to be a tad older, maybe around 10. However, in 3, 5, and all the movies that follow, his voice makes me put him with Littlefoot and Cera at about 8. So it's confusing.

Than we have Spike to consider. He was born by the time the gang had reached their "permanent" ages. So he doesn't live through the timeskip that occurs early in the original movie, yet somehow is as big as Littlefoot and Cera. A long time ago, when I first joined GOF, I made a whole topic about this, btw.

Than we have Chomper to consider. He's even younger than Spike, considering he was born a movie later. Yet by movie 5, he seems to be about Ducky's age, while Ducky herself hasn't aged.

So I'm just going to assume that the characters stop aren't allowed to age much.

Here's what I've calculated:

Movie 1

Ducky: 6 (I'm gonna assume her hatching wasn't shown chronologically in movie 1)
Spike: 0

Movie 2

Ducky: 6
Spike: 6 (6 year time gap between original and movie 2 release taken into account)

They remain that way until 5, in which Cera turn 8, making her the oldest.

Then, in 7, Ducky finally ages a year (her vocal evolution happens here) putting everyone in the gang except Spike and Cera at 7.

Than, in maybe 11, I'd have her, Cera and Spike age a year.

So than we have this:

Movies 11-13 + TV series:

Cera: 9
Ducky: 8
Spike: 7

Just my theory!
It is pretty much confirmed that Littlefoot and Cera are five years old, er, after they shown again after hatching in the original.  As Great Valley Adventure takes place a short time after the original ends, we can say that their ages wouldn't change that much in that one.

It is more of a mystery in the later ones until XI, where it almost seems that one year has passed at least between the start of XI and the end of XI.