The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why is the Gang of Five so cowardly?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Their lack of care for keeping themselves alive is greatly disturbing to me and keeps bothering me.  

Let's suppose that had been a big Sharptooth or that Chomper didn't want to bother to be nice to them.  Why are they so willing to give up on life and just cower there, awaiting their end?

I mean, at least beg for mercy or try and fight back.  Goodness, this annoys me to no end.

They did the very same thing in film 2.  At least jump like Ozzy and Strut did!  

What could explain why they chose to do what they did?  Why not try and attack the Sharpttooth and sacrifice yourself and try and ensure that as many of the others could get away as possible?

What they did seems to be very cowardly and I'm the most ashamed of the Gang of Five in this scene and when they did the same thing in film II as I am in the whole franchise.  

Also, if you're going to die, and don't think you can save anyone, at least die laughing by doing this:   :nyah  :nyah  :nyah  :nyah  :nyah  :nyah at your attacker.  

Even that would be more honorable than what they did.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You've obviously never been in a fight or had to run to the nearest basement while shells are exploding around you.

Most people will act cowardly or at least sub-optimally in situations of extreme adversity. It takes special training to enable people to use their skills to get the most out of an extremely dangerous situation.

Perhaps the Gang's fear is somewhat cartoonishly exaggerated here, but great fear is not misplaced at all in this situation.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
LittlefootAndAliTogether, when it comes to survival, honor comes last. Honor is not going to keep someone alive in a dangerous situation. When you are frightened, honor isn't something that comes to mind. Extreme fear can make you behave in ways you normally would not.

Also, let's not forget that Littlefoot and his friends aren't human. They're dinosaurs. While humans have a concept of honor, dinosaurs and other species do not. Honor isn't important to them. Survival is.

I don't really think Littlefoot and his friends were acting cowardly in that scene. Showing extreme fear in the face of adversary isn't cowardice (and showing defiance in a situation of extreme adversity isn't always courage, and instead can turn into foolishness). They are simply so frightened that they likely aren't thinking as straight as they could be. Being terrified is not something you can control. In their state of mind, they aren't going to be able to think "okay how do we get out of here?". Emotion is quite powerful and can easily override the reasoning brain.

While it is possible they could have thought of something else to do, their terrified state would have prevented them from doing anything.

Laughing at your attacker is certainly not one of the first moves that come to mind when you are so scared and frightened. While some people might do that, I don't think it's a common behavior; when you are cornered with someone pointing a gun at you, I guarantee that laughing is the last thing that will be on your mind.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Kinda surprised "Run" isn't an option on your poll. You aren't grappled by the Sharptooth, and I'm positive at least once they've escaped through the legs.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
That’s an issue with almost every movie/episode. Petrie can fly and that could be a great plot device in many situations. For example, in LBT V, he could’ve flown over the ocean and tell the grownups where they were, yet, he said he was too scared and that was the end of it. Same thing in LBT II when they were in the swamp.

I know that if Petrie just flown away every time most of the movies would be cut in half and a lot less exciting, however, they should get better excuses to explain why he can’t fly in a specific situation.

In this one, I guess he was just too scared and wanted to stick it out ëtil the end with his friends.  
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Dec 3 2015 on  06:05 AM

In this one, I guess he was just too scared and wanted to stick it out ëtil the end with his friends.
So flying was scarier than being eaten by a sharptooth for him?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Not my point. It’s like when you’re crossing the road and a car shows up speeding towards you out of nowhere, you’re paralyzed with fear and are unable to move, think or do anything.

Also, his love for his friends made him stick with them, it’s where he felt safe and he didn’t want to leave them.
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The most interesting thing is gang's behavior in original film against original sharptooth.
they run, hide, and fight him very well
 :neutral

and that was kind of... their "first experience"?

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Couldn't figure out how I'd already said my piece in this thread.

When I was young I jaywalked and a car came at me and apparently I just stood there. Only reason I lived was because he stopped in time. People in a panic don't always make great decisions, even if they've been in threatening situations before. It doesn't get easier to almost die if you haven't been trained at all.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: NewOrder,Dec 3 2015 on  11:38 AM

Also, his love for his friends made him stick with them, it’s where he felt safe and he didn’t want to leave them.
There's a difference between wanting to stay by someone out of love and wanting to stay with someone out of need for protection.