The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wow! LBT 10 was like that?

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
One thing I was very disappointed with in LBT X involved the ending. Yes, Littlefoot's friends were being completely understanding of his possible decision to leave them and join up with Bron. That was the whole purpose of "Best Friends", which I absolutely loved. My main problem came after Littlefoot decided to stay in the valley. We see how happy his grandparents are with his decision, but what about his friends? They just kind of walk along as if nothing happened. Again, I get that they would have understood if Littlefoot wanted to be with his dad, but don't you think they would have had the same reaction his grandparents did? Now of course, it could have happened off screen, but that would have been kind of lame. In LBT IV, we see his friends (minus Cera) embracing Littlefoot and assuring him that they would miss him if he left with Ali's herd. I guess you can say that this moment was in the form of "Best Friends", but at the same time I would assume his friends would be overjoyed that he was staying with them. Call it an error, or call it me not understanding something, I just wish that some sort of reaction was shown from his friends.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Reason why, is because from what I've heard about it, it's rather underrated to me.

I don't think so. If there ever was an underated LBT film, it would be "The time of the great giving". Sure, there are plenty of people who like this one, plenty who like 4 (which yes, I think is awesome!) plenty who like 7, plenty who like 5, plenty who like 9, yet for as good as 3 was, no one seems to like it, probably cause there weren't really very many tearjerking moments as some of the others. Well, that shouldn't be what entirely decides how ya feel about an LBT film. 3 was really beautiful and one of the best in the series, and I just find it odd how underated it is.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
While I don't hate the third movie, I don't really consider it an underrated movie, nor do I consider it one of the best LBT sequels. As for why, I can't really explain. And no it wasn't because there weren't very many sad moments in it. I just never liked the third movie as much as some others. It just didn't really impress me.

As for what movie I'd consider underrated, I can't really say.

On topic:

I've been thinking of rewatching the first and this movie to re-evaluate my opinion regarding Bron, and perhaps make a post later on.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Yes, Littlefoot's friends were being completely understanding of his possible decision to leave them and join up with Bron. That was the whole purpose of "Best Friends", which I absolutely loved. My main problem came after Littlefoot decided to stay in the valley. We see how happy his grandparents are with his decision, but what about his friends? They just kind of walk along as if nothing happened. Again, I get that they would have understood if Littlefoot wanted to be with his dad, but don't you think they would have had the same reaction his grandparents did? Now of course, it could have happened off screen, but that would have been kind of lame. In LBT IV, we see his friends (minus Cera) embracing Littlefoot and assuring him that they would miss him if he left with Ali's herd. I guess you can say that this moment was in the form of "Best Friends", but at the same time I would assume his friends would be overjoyed that he was staying with them. Call it an error, or call it me not understanding something, I just wish that some sort of reaction was shown from his friends.

And what about the fact that they had no clue how he suddenly had a dad, they weren't even so much as introduced to Bron, they all apparently just assumed he was Littlefoot's long lost dad? What the hell is up with that?! How the heck did they apparently already know about Bron?!

I think it's awesome how much work the guy put into the beginning of this topic. But why can't someone do a huge analysis of the more interesting LBT films, like 5 and 9? Sure, 10 was interesting, but 5 and 9 were more intriguing in my opinion and I think they deserve an over-analysis too. Not that they were that great, but more intriguing!

Finally, what surprised me most, was with where it was going, those seeing it for the first time, and having zero knowledge of 11 existing, (Though nowadays I don't see how that's possible.) would think that 10 was it for the gang. That it was over basically. The final song, "Best Friends", was basically a goodbye song. If Littlefoot did go with his dad, that would've been it. With just a few steps of Littlefoot's goodbye, the series would've ended.

...I thought "Journey to Big Water" would have made a really good ending...just my opinion.   :neutral

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
And what about the fact that they had no clue how he suddenly had a dad, they weren't even so much as introduced to Bron, they all apparently just assumed he was Littlefoot's long lost dad? What the hell is up with that?! How the heck did they apparently already know about Bron?!
They did not. Unless memory cheats me during the fight with the sharpteeth Littlefoot calls something to Bron calling him Dad to which Cera asks very surprised: "Did you say Dad?!"
Later explanations must have happened off screen.
But why can't someone do a huge analysis of the more interesting LBT films, like 5 and 9?
And why can't you start doing them rather than demanding for others to do them for you? Most of the analysis of LBT 10 came about as a result from discussions partly based on the fact that it is one LBT movie which is more polarizing than many others.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Things I liked about LBT 10:

Littlefoot and his grandparents crossing the swamp and Sue saving Littlefoot

Littlefoot, his grandparents and Sue walking at night in the scene that follows and Sue letting Littlefoot sleep on her (I really loveSue :))

Cera, Ducky, Spike and Petrie crossing the swamp = PURE ACTION AWESOMENESS

Shorty (I really like him, though he does start out a jerk)

Pat (Great character)

Things I ddn't really like:

"Adventuring"---wow, Littlefoot's going on an adventure! That's soooo new cause never not once in movies 1-9 did he EVER do that! Wow, that's soooo exiting!  <_<

The ecclipse---overdone, people

Dumb Sharpteeth

Littlefoot going on his adventure w/ grandparents instead of with friends

Petrie's mom not appearing, and Ducky's mom and Cera's dad not really appearing

"Me and my dad", a cheesy song with nice visualls although I'm not positive any of 'em were real

"Bestest Friends" and thewhole ending---touching on 1srt view, on all subsequent ones it's obviously trying to outdo against the beaitiful ending of 9 and 9's beautiful final song and ending up looking stupid. Don't try to compete against a previous LBT film, universal! Create your own stuff!

Seriously could have done w/o

Littlefoot's dream at the beginning---god, what ever happened to "normalicy"? Longnecks floating? Littlefoot looking high? Sure, "Imaginary Friends" was something out of a nightmare but that was a song...this is just the beginning!!

Cera's nightmare---one of the scariest LBT moments in my opinion

"Littlefoot...this is your father." Seriously? Am I the only one that was actually OK with how his family was in 2-9? Sure I was curious about his dad but fafiction could have taken care of that. Bron was not in ANY means necessary, and as I've said before, the film series should have ended at the LATEST at "Journey to Big water".

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What was so scary about Cera's dream? From what I recall, it wasn't scary at all. All it was is that Cera saw that Littlefoot was praised for some kind of action, her father was upset by it, and Cera screamed not because of fright, but the shock of it all, and wakes up. And if I'm remembering it right, it doesn't even belong on the list of scariest LBT moments.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Yeah, and Yellowbellies aren't scary either...the sheer brighntess and overwhelmingness of this all is enough to throw anybody over the egdge, I think. Cera's scream and then suddenly waking up was crepy too

Her dad wasn't upset, he was shouting "Little-foot! Little-foot!" which is scarier then he is when he's himself in real life, and a bit of a disapointment for someone who wanted Topps to get his typical film role, since this is all we see of him awake anyways

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry. I just don't understand what you found so scary about Cera's dream. I don't recall anything really scary in it.

And no I don't find the yellowbellies frightening either.

Edit: I remember her father walking away, not cheering.

Bruton the Iguanodon

.the sheer brighntess and overwhelmingness of this all is enough to throw anybody over the egdge, I think. Cera's scream and then suddenly waking up was crepy too

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It may have been frightening for Cera as the idea of Littlefoot suddenly becoming a hero without her and the other dinosaurs praising him for it would be too confusing for her to handle I would think. That and she still has a "threehorn pride" streak to her, so she'd naturally be bothered if a longneck became the hero of the world instead of a threehorn.

But as someone watching it, for me, it wasn't scary. The dream never really frightened me, neither did Cera's reaction. I haven't seen it in quite a while though, a year maybe, so I'd have to rewatch it to get a better idea.

Bruton the Iguanodon

hERE'S WHAT SOMEONE HAD 2 SAY ABOUT 10:

He believed it was one of the more plot-filled of the installments, and would likely be one that children would want to watch many times over.

What? And take the place of beloved "Journey Through the mists", which was theone I watched over and over as a kid?  :unsure:

This isn't the first time Littlefoot's been on an adventure, people. Making this movie so immense, what with the whole crater and the ecclipse and the overly sad parts at the end and the dramatic shot of every longneck in the world leaving doesn't mkae it thebest film. Cheesy animation, introducing a father who'd never been in the series before now and should never have been, and overdoing everything ruined it

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nobody said LBT10 was the best. At least I didn't hear anyone say that.

Bruton the Iguanodon

One thing I found incredibly interesting is Shorty. From what I heard, I was expecting something rather kind and simple. I was surprised when I found Shorty was a, dare I say it, bully.

Ok, exactly how much had you heard about Shorty? Cause from the sounds of it (you thought he'd be "kind and simple") , not much!

(And yet you still watched 10 for the 1st time knowing he existed :huh: )

Most of the analysis of LBT 10 came about as a result from discussions partly based on the fact that it is one LBT movie which is more polarizing than many others.

What do you mean by "polarizing"? Cause I bet I can come up with one that is just as much.

MC CJ'S REVENGE

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Bruton the Iguanodon,Dec 22 2011 on  10:55 PM
hERE'S WHAT SOMEONE HAD 2 SAY ABOUT 10:

He believed it was one of the more plot-filled of the installments, and would likely be one that children would want to watch many times over.

What? And take the place of beloved "Journey Through the mists", which was theone I watched over and over as a kid?  :unsure:

This isn't the first time Littlefoot's been on an adventure, people. Making this movie so immense, what with the whole crater and the ecclipse and the overly sad parts at the end and the dramatic shot of every longneck in the world leaving doesn't mkae it thebest film. Cheesy animation, introducing a father who'd never been in the series before now and should never have been, and overdoing everything ruined it

I thought it filled a hole that was in the series. Finding out what happened with Littlefoot's father and why he never was there for Littlefoot did fill in a huge hole that had been wide open since 1988.

Bruton the Iguanodon

Well, I think the film series should have ended with 9 and that hole still being open. I prefer the days in which it was open. But with 10 it was damaged beyond repair.

There could have been all sorts of fanfics about it. I think it is a nice thing to be left open, and I bet Bluth did not like it.

9 was the end of LBT for me.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Personally, if any movie should have been the end, I feel it was 5 because, as pointed out by another member, it could have led to the introduction of Ruby and immediately go into the TV series. Plus it would have meant hopefully changing the course of how sharpteeth were treated and not being dumbed down into toys. But then again, this might have still happened anyway.

Honestly I can see movie 9 being a TV episode. I mean, from what I recall, not a lot really happens in it. The whole plot was just getting Mo to the Big Water and that was it. This could been easily condensed into an episode or two I think. Then again I could say the same for other LBT movies as well.

Keep in mind that making the stories TV episode sized would not make them any less interesting. An example would be Avatar The Last Airbender. These episodes were about, what, 22 minutes long? And yet they can still tell a compelling story that draws you in and can leave emotional impacts, both positive and negative. If they were to do the series right, then an episode sized version of movie 9 would have been just as good as a movie version.

And on another quick note, I don't see a reason why the fate of Littlefoot's father should never have been solved. I think it was actually a good idea and I'm glad they went with the idea.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't think movie 9 would have been a fitting ending to the franchise. To be perfectly honest, I thought the movie was only okay. Sure there are good things about it. "No One Has to Be Alone" is a beautiful song, Thomas Dekker I feel was at his best as Littlefoot, and Moe is a great character. Everything else just didn't feel all that special. The plot seemed like recycled parts from the first movie, and the other two songs just didn't really appeal to me at all.

Movie 10 would have been a much better end to the franchise because of Littlefoot's decision between staying in the Great Valley or leaving with his father. This is a really emotional scene because while he has longed to meet his dad his entire life, he knows his heart still lies with his friends and home. Even though he chose to stay in the valley, the whole scene reminded me a lot of the end to Lord of the Rings. Frodo leaves the Shire and his friends to set out with Gandalf and the elves. I just found it really interesting how the two were related.

I have to disagree with you about the song "Adventuring". Yes, Littlefoot has gone on many adventures where he has left the Great Valley. The thing is though, he's always left the Great Valley with his friends, in every single movie. Yes he wanders off by himself in movie 6, but before that he had left with his friends again. Movie 10 is the first and only movie where he does not leave the Great Valley with his friends ever. True, he leaves with his grandparents, but because he has shared all of the adventures with his friends it is different.

Also, this is the first time he has left the valley just for the sake of leaving. Every other time he has left the valley he has had a goal or destination in mind: To find the stolen egg (2), to find the missing water (3), to find the night flowers (4), to find a new place to live until the Great Valley is suitable to live in again (5), to find Dinah and Danah at Saurus Rock and then to find the sharptooth tooth (6), to rescue Ducky and find the Stone of Cold Fire (7), to find Ducky who went after Spike (8), to bring Moe back to the Big Water (9). What's the reason for going on the adventure in movie 10? He doesn't know where he is going and why he is leaving. He just feels like he needs to go.

Those two reasons are why this particular adventure is different from all the others.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hmm yes, movie 10 would have been another good place to stop, now that you put it that way. That was a huge decision to make on Littlefoot's part, to stay with his father or leave with his friends. It does have a better "conclusion" feel to it than movie 9 did.

Bruton the Iguanodon

LBT 6: The story of the Lone Dinosaur is told in some level of detail, through the opening's story and the song "Lone Dinosaur" (most of which in the song is fiction, but that's besides the point).

Let's talk about that somewhere else...what was the point of that song?!! No one's discussed it  :huh:

Also, about Mo's waterkin, they live in the ocean. Bron was not anywhere near the ocean, now was he? So he could not have gotten directions from them; he probably didn't even know where the ocean was, or if it existed or not. He probably didn't know; remember Littlefoot's reaction when they first saw the ocean? They apparently haven't seen it before.

Mr. Threehorn apparetly knew the word ocean" though

Once again, I look at what Bron was going through after he learned about his wife's death. When you lose someone you care about, you don't tend to be thinking straight; your mind is clouded. Even things that are so obvious seem to alude you. And losing a partner is one of the most devastating things that can happen. It is a life-changing experience, in a negative way.

Bron probably fell into depression, just like Littlefoot did. Perhaps Bron forgot about asking directions because of his loss and his guilt about leaving in the first place. And when you don't think about something for a long time, it can disappear from your mind, or be pushed far back into your mind. This probably happened to Bron.

Ironic you mention this: practically no one has commented on what it must have been like for Bron to lose his wife; no one really feels sorry for him ever. No one bothers to think whether he became depressed or not. I'm sure he cried then. You gotta admit that would be disturbing if he didn't, and would give me reason to make a topic complaining.

With what I heard, he got back just as "The Great Earthshake" hit. From that perspective, I can not blame Bron for not finding them, especially with the fact the nest was gone. That earthquake was HUGE! It even beats the one in LBT 9.

Really? Do we have to go comparing what was the same earthshake we'd seen in movie 1 to that poorly done piece of CGI in 9? That's like saying, "Movie 1 was GREAT! It was even better then movie 13!!"