The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Longneck Herd

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Okay, I've never started a topic here before, but this is just something that caught my attention.

This only really occurred to me yesterday when I watched the original Land Before Time movie for the 10,000th time. I don't know why, but it only struck me then during the narration. Just what exactly happened to rest of the longneck herd before Littlefoot was born? I'd say it was a fairly large group, so how did it all come down to just Littlefoot's mother and grandparents? We know that Bron left to find a new home, but what about the rest of them?

I'm just scouring through a couple of films and TV episodes to see if I can come up with my own theory, but it would be interesting to see what you think.  :yes

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I think the majority of them died, likely through starvation due to the low amount of food, but disease and sharptooth attacks may have also played a part. Bron might very well be the only other surviving member of Littlefoot's herd outside his grandparent today.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think it would be strange since usually the weaks die first,like old speciemens(Littlefoot's grandparents),or very young speciemens(Littlefoot),but I'm not saying it's impossible,since we know nothing about it.

In my opinion they departed.I can't remember if they were in the herd after Littlefoot's birth,but if not,maybe they left them behind when Littlefoot's mother,and grandparents were waiting for the egg to hatch.

If they were in the herd after the hatch,I think they left them behind becose Littlefoot,as a new born hatchling was slowing them down.I know that his mother could easily carry him,but I can't came up with a better idea :p

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think they left Littlefoots family, too
Inactive, probably forever.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Both are certainly possible, though I do agree with Blais here that it is strange that everyone died except Littlefoot's mother and grandparents (and I guess Bron too).

Since the narrator said that some herds stopped to hatch their young, I suppose it's possible that the longneck herd carried on while the family stayed to watch over the eggs. It never actually shows any longneck herds besides Littlefoot's family.

Anyway, I've looked through a few things, and this is something I came up with:

I saw "Legend of the Story Speakers" today, and I think Saro may have been part of the herd, before being separated somehow. Since Grandpa says something along the lines of "Saro? Is that you? I had almost given up hope!" <--- Did Grandpa think that Saro may have died?
Another thing that I don't quite get is when Bron says that there was a huge crack in the earth when he got to his home. From what I gathered from the first movie, Littlefoot's mother and grandparents were already on the journey to the Great Valley, and a fair bit of time seems to have passed between Littlefoot's birth and the next scene, where it is shown that they are travelling. Could this mean that there was perhaps a different earthquake which caused that crack, possibly separating the herd? I'd say that Littlefoot's family were close to the the front of the herd and managed to escape, some in the middle fell to their deaths, and those at the back, possibly including Saro, were stuck on the other side. After that, some probably died of starvation and disease, while others joined other passing longneck herds for protection. Perhaps a few of them even found Bron and joined him. If there were any others on the same side as Littlefoot's family, then, as Blais said, they probably carried on when Littlefoot's mother laid her eggs. Saro, either waiting until the Great Drought had passed, or when he realised that everyone was forgetting the longneck stories, later set out to find the Great Valley and reunite with his old friend again.

I just made this up today, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a load of mistakes and things that don't make sense in this. Well, nobody knows what really happened, but I really do like to see people's idea and theories.  :yes

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The reason why I thought that most of the herd died outside of the grandparents and Littlefoot's mother, upon Littlefoot's birth, is what the narrator says.

"All that remained of his herd was his mother, his grandmother, and his grandfather."

The "all that remained of his herd" is what makes me believe the others are likely dead. Littlefoot's herd may never have been that large to begin with, and the landscape was harsh, not to mention that, if Sharptooth himself is any evidence, sharpteeth in this area were downright nasty and vicious and tough to beat.

The phrase "all that remained of his herd" doesn't make it sound like, to me, that members of his herd just left; it sounded like the narrator meant it in a literal way; that only a few longnecks in the herd were still alive. If he had said something like "all that remained of his immediate family" or something along those lines, then I would have been more inclined to think that some herd members survived.

While yes Bron may technically prove the narrator wrong in this since he is alive, I don't know if Bron was ever a member of the herd. A possibility is that Littlefoot's mother left the herd to join Bron and they were going to start a new herd, but then Bron left to find a new home so Littlefoot's mother had to rejoin her own herd. Maybe not the most likely of possibilities I admit.

Even so, Bron's survival doesn't mean that there were many more survivors, if any. The landscape wasn't very hospitable and food was very scarce. The grandparents' survival may have been just luck. But then again, we do see that they are still fully capable of fighting sharpteeth in the sequels, so it stands to reason that, despite being old, they were still tough, so maybe it isn't so surprising they made it to the Great Valley. They may have been much more experienced with fighting sharpteeth and dealing with harsh conditions that gave them an edge over most of the herd.

But in the end, it's just speculation. And it's doubtful we'll ever find out what actually happened.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I never thought about it before, but now that seems a huge plot hole! Guuh! What they know WE no know?!
Then again, "all that remained" could also mean that they had left the nesting mother and her parents behind. Animals like that who were either giving birth or were in hatching were often left behind because they would slow the herd down. "Dinosaur" reference, *wink, wink*
"But, the others in the back - they'll never make it!"
"Then they'll slow down the predators!!" - yeesh Kron, why do you gotta be a jerkweed?
Would they have found another valley? The Great Valley isn't the only valley out there *shrugs*
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein