The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Just had to fire someone today.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yay! I had to be ruthless good-for-nothing boss that gets bad-mouthed behind my back! My dream is completel! Kidding, aside, I feel like crap right now, because I had to fire an employee I've given every mercy sanely possible to.

It started with general grouchiness, then finally he started snapping at our cook for just "standing there instead of cleaning something" when food was cooking (even though Ron and I, you know, the people who own the establishment, told her not to leave the stove, boiler, or microwaves' sides when she had something preparing in them). She reported him when he wouldn't stop, so Ron and I let him have it with a good talking to and a warning.
Then today I caught him sloooooowly washing the dishes intentionally waiting until the last minute to finish them so that the cook would have to stay late to clean out all the removeable parts of the cooking equipment. He even refused offers for help and I found he's been doing for weeks. We had just figured the dishes just really piled up a lot or something. But no, it turns out he could have had them done in time for Grace to finish up on time.

So I fired his ass. Feeling both guilty and mad at him right now.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Well, given what the guy was doing...good for you! A guy with that attitude toward his co-workers and intentionally getting them to stay late has got to go!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yep. Three strikes of douchiness. First time this has happened, too. I've had two move away or one quit to go work at K-Mart. This time firing someone, though.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well that's unusual. From your post I see that you two didn't really know each other well, so one would expected that being a newbie among strangers would have made him try hard to do things right. It is usually friends and acquaintances who expect to be cut some slack (and why wouldn't you forgive your pal or cousin?), but a complete stranger to behave in such way, that's just asinine. You did the right thing. Unless, of course, there's more to the story that you don't know.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
its one thing if they are just slow at washing dishes, another if they are doing it deliberately. you cannot afford to have workers who are giving less than a decent effort. So canning him/her was the right decision..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
The guy sounds like an arse who deserved it. You shouldn't feel guilty about anything.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
He's not from a neighborhood I made one of my usual haunts in the past, so no, I didn't know him very well. Well, other than him, I've landed a handful of people that NEED the work and aren't slacking. We also haven't been open that long, hence why this is my first firing. Thus far our work force isn't big. Including Ron and I, it's seven people. One full time cook, two full time managers who do most of the other jobs on the side, and four part time waiters. What saves us is that the bistro isn't too terribly big and it's a "come in and sit and chat for a while" place, anyway.

Great. ANother empty spot that still needs filling. Looks I'll be coming in to get dishpan hands tomorrow. I just hope the guy coming in Tuesday for an interview works out better.

I'm over the guilt now I've thought about it more.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
you'll eventualy have to fire some more people, the more people you can, the ness guilt you'll feel. in business sentimentally only goes so far. especially if people are not doing the job you are paying them for..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I know. Hence why I fired him. Oh well. At the very least, the guy coming in on Tuesday hopefully couldn't be an even bigger douche (fingers crossed).

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
we'll just have to see, hopefuylly business on the whole is doing okay for you..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I hope the new guy works out ok, good luck.  :goodluck

I can guess having to fire anyone is hard, especially the first few times.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
The only times I ever slacked in a workplace is because I'm too meticulous.  I wanted everything perfect and done right the first time.  So I wouldn't be very good in a restaurant environment (and I learned that the hard way).  And I've seen pricks like those practically everywhere I worked, even the animal shelter I recently quit.

Anyway, your place sounds like a neat place to visit someday.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
That's a hell of a decision to have to make and I'm sure to didn't feel good doing it. But sometimes you have to play the bad guy for the greater good. In the same breath, you gave the guy plenty of chances to make up for it and he, himself, chose to respond the way he did so you can't feel guilty for that. You have my respect for having to dish out such a harsh action matey.