The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

An eye opener to MIDI music

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey all!  The completion of the No One Has To Be Alone MIDI, and a conversation with Malte earlier today inspired me to write this miniature article on how MIDI is much more powerful than many people give credit for.

Play back a midi file, even a well sequenced (written) one, on your computer.  It probably sounds clunky, low-quality, and just not pretty in general :lol

I've heard a number of times by countless people, that MIDI is a low, poor-quality form of electronic music.  I am going to show you a few demonstrations here of what MIDI Really is!

First of all, MIDI is Not a file format like MP3.  MIDI is a protocol (language) used to communicate between computers and audio-producing devices, such as a synthesizer, keyboard, sound card (in most home users' cases), or number of others.  All too often, MIDI is compared to MP3.  This is too much like comparing apples to oranges.  MP3s are stand-alone.  They contain all of the audio data within the file.  No instructions, just the audio waveform (thousands of bits of data per second).  As a result, MP3s are many times larger than even the most complex MIDI files.

The tradeoff?  MIDIs cannot work by themselves.  Think of MIDI files as an instruction manual for a task.  It needs somebody there to read the manual and actually carry out the task.  This is what a synthesizer is for.  It interprets the MIDI instructions and uses the tools (instruments) available on the synthesizer.  In the case of many sound cards (a device inside a personal computer to output audio), the sound quality of the instruments is rather low.  The listener hears only the instrument that the sound card has access to.

It seems so simple now.  To improve the quality of a MIDI file, improve the quality of the synthesizer.  Yes!  That is completely true, more so than you may realize.

MIDI is used in places one may not have expected.  Check out a number of TV shows, news stations, video games (even modern ones!) and some Hollywood films use the same MIDI technology and sophisticated synthesizers to produce live-quality music without the added cost of performers.  The best part?  The entire musical selection to a game or TV series can be written and performed by a single person at a computer!

Just how good can some of these synthesizers be?  It can't sound as good as the real thing!

No!  It doesn't, but I challenge you to tell the difference in most cases B)

I personally own This Sound Library(a collection of MIDI instruments which can be accessed through special programs).  This is not Hollywood-quality by any means, but it is far nicer than anything you'll hear on any normal sound card.  This synthesizer is designed to reproduce the sounds of an orchestra at a reasonable price.

For example, Check out this song; "Cartoon"
Check out this song; "Cartoon"
This was written entirely on the MIDI sound library mentioned above.  The quality isn't too shabby, considering it's nothing but a MIDI file thrown into a $200 synthesizer B)

But we're just getting started.  This is just a tiny little synthesizer compared to some of the big guns out there!

I linked you to Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition above.  Here's a little sample of the Platinum Edition!
Platinum Edition!

Action Adventure
Now we're getting into some Real MIDI music!  This synthesizer is available on the public market for a coooool $3500.  A little out of my price range, but about as good as it gets.  This synth could virtually replicate the LBT original soundtrack without much trouble, with very good results B)

The best part?  Any normal midi file found on any old computer can be loaded into these synthesizers.  Instantly, the quality of a midi can be improved tremendously!

Hold on, we're not done yet!

What about vocals?  MIDI is known for having music without singing or lyrics.  Check out a few midi files and they might have some cheap choir-like sound in them, but nothing special.  Well, the fun starts here!  Symphonic Choirs and Word Builder!

This is Entirely done using MIDI and a synthesizer.  Nothing more.  Prepare to be amazed:  B)
Glory to the Knight
Kira
These sophisticated vocal tracks are difficult to program using MIDI, but as you can see, it's very possible!  I don't have the software to do anything like this, unfortunately (or I'd be trying to put vocals into LBT music :lol )

There are a large variety of other demo tracks on the pages I linked as well, if you want to check out some more!  Click Here for quick access to some more tracks from Symphonic Platinum!

Going beyond orchestral and movie music, think about techno, trance, and other synthetic forms of music.  How are they written?  You guessed it B)  They're no different.  Just different styles and different synthesizers.

Still think MIDI sucks? :P:

Now, why did I write such an article on a Land Before Time forum?
Simple: I needed something to do besides eat peanuts! :lol

tobeysan

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://tobeysan.homeip.net
Have I ever told you that you're a dork?  :lol

Anyhow, I'm with you, MIDIs rock, for places like webpages music, personally I'm against, but it's better than tring to use a MP3 or AC3.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Have I ever told you that you're a dork?
More often than I care to recall :P:

places like webpages music, personally I'm against
I agree.  I dislike it when web pages have music embedded into them.  Often when I'm browing the web, I'm listening to music.  Having a MIDI track spontaneously come on, both Surprises and annoys me a little bit, mainly because I don't always want to listen to That song when I'm on That site :P:

better than tring to use a MP3 or AC3
Ugh...I've seen that done enough times to know that it's Not a good idea :lol

I have yet to see an AC3 file embedded in a webpage though :P: That could get ugly.  Not everyone can play .ac3 files properly unless they have a Dolby Digital or other multichannel digital decoder on their sound card, and not every media player program supports .ac3 (I'm not sure if Windows Media Player does.  Winamp will if you download the plugin.  VLC will play them.  It'll play anything).  I still don't know how AC3 files are so small considering how much data they contain.  They're not much bigger than an mp3 B)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I'm still one of those that just isn't into midi much because all the ones you do find online are those low quality things that sometimes don't have much work put into them.  They sound nothing like those links.  Maybe with some more additions they could've been better.  The stereotype is there because so many are not proving MIDI worthy.  You're changing my mind slowly but surely.  :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The stereotype is there because so many are not proving MIDI worthy
Sadly, not many people consider it worth their time to write a MIDI Well.  I've seen some excellent MIDI work on the Video Game Music Archive (see my signature for a link), but I have also seen my share of junk.  I believe that the demand for high-quality MIDI files just isn't there, so relatively little care is taken in the production of a number of midis.