The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Doing some Volunteer Work

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey All!

I recently talked with my old high school music teacher and worked out a great volunteer work agreement with her.  I will be arranging some music for her high school bands, part-time!  I will be working from home on my computer in my spare time to complete as many projects as quickly as possible.  So far, I have been assigned the tasks of:

Writing an arrangement of the Star Trek: Voyager theme music for a Jazz Band
and
Writing an arrangement of "Bohemian Rhapsody" for Jazz Band and Choir.

I'm really looking forward to it!  My plan is to get some volunteer hours in and build up a good reputation with somebody already in the music world.  I hope this may be a first step to something, depending on how well I can accomplish my work for the band.

This, combined with school is taking up A Lot of my free time!  I'm afraid I'll have to back off considerably on my GoF projects for awhile.  I'll post up our karaoke songs when I get the rest of the parts sent to me, but I won't be starting another one, nor will I be posting up any more MIDIs, for an indefinite time.  I will still drop by the boards from time to time, since I'm working from home and have access to a computer all evening every day., but I won't be posting very much.

Anywho, I'm going back to my work!  C'yall later! :D

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Awesome stuff. :)  The volunteer work I do revolves around music, though its helping kids get their stuff to marching band competitions and the like, so its not quite in the same field. :p  I like being around those people and stuff and try to work with them every weekend if I can.  They did pretty decently at their last competition.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
though its helping kids get their stuff to marching band competitions and the like, so its not quite in the same field.
haha, close enough. :p
They did pretty decently at their last competition.
Good news!  I wonder, could they beat my old junior high band? :P:

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's a preliminary version of my Star Trek arrangement that I have been working on.  It's not quite complete, but it's close enough that I'm willing to share it. B)   This is just a digital mockup of the song, not a live recording.  It gets the point across though. :p

My task was to convert the original theme to "Star Trek: Voyager" into a playable version written for the following instruments:
2 Alto Saxophones
2 Tenor Saxophones
1 Baritone Saxophone
4 Trumpets
4 Trombones
Piano
Guitar
Bass Guitar or String Bass
Drum Kit

Here's a basic version of what I came up with:
http://www3.telus.net/public/anddonna/startrekbeta2.mp3
I'm currently working on running a basic drum beat throughout much of the music.  That is Not yet implimented in the mp3 I just posted here.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I think I remember me and you having a chat about this over MSN Action. Sounds like an awesome bit of voluntary work to be getting involved with. Not to mention sounding kinda complex (I think I mentioned that in our chat last time! :^.^: ). Well, wish ya all the best with it. Make sure we get a sample of the final mix...I'd love to hear it!

With this sorta work under your belt, it's a great way to build up your portfolio for a prospect job in the industry. I think we kinda have the same idea in mind for career paths except yours is music.

All the best to ya matey! ;)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
*saves file*

It's too nice of a day right now...I'll listen later and reply. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Voyager theme!!!  Oh I love that theme! :D

Did you have trumpets taking the violin part?  The trumpets can still take the original harmony they've had, but they also cover what the violins did in the official version correct?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Voyager theme!!! Oh I love that theme!
Would you believe that I had never heard it before, 2 weeks ago? :P:
Did you have trumpets taking the violin part?
yep, I did indeed.

The trumpets can still take the original harmony they've had, but they also cover what the violins did in the official version correct?
Exactly.  Basically in this pre-release version, I simply put in the lower-level harmonies (the chords on the trombones and saxophones in my arrangement) in and ignored all but the basic violin line from the original.  I transcribed that melodic line to a solo trumpet.  But you're right; a trumpet did play alongside the violin in the original.  I can send you the original if you're interested in the file.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey again!
Here's an update to my Star trek Voyager arrangement, consisting of a somewhat more interesting parts for most players, as well as a somewhat fixed up recording.  i'm still considering exactly what I want to fix before I send off a recording to my music teacher.  if anyone has anything they notice about this that they want to comment on, I would appreciate it!  :D

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...52E4AC34952CCB2

Enjoy!

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
:D Woohoo!!! :D

I submitted the sheet music today to my music director.  We went through the Star Trek music in detail and after a few minor changes she's Very excited to have her band play it this year!  She's also going to make sure to invite me to the concert!

Oh, this is awesome!  The concert probably won't be until much later in the year but I'll be Sure to record it and pass it on!

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
This is really awesome. :) :)  A whole new way to think of Voyager.