The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Richard Adams dies

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Richard Adams, the author of Watership Down is dead at 96. His death is an an enormous loss: the book is a real masterpiece. It's amazing how he managed to turn a rather generic children's book plot into an engaging and thought-provoking story. I truly enjoyed it and I'm greatly saddened by the news. Rest in peace.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well that's life he lived a good long life so may he rest In piece it's sad but you know death is a part of life. He'll be survived by his family. And I did see the movie and that was a very graphic movie but it was decently made. It kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time I was watching it.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Richard Adams truly lived a full life.  Dedicating much of his first 50 years of life to public service, he did not become a professional author until he was in his 50s.  His first book, Watership Down, actually resulted from his daughters encouraging him to write a book after they had been regaled by stories he had told for many years.  The resulting book, which incorporated details from many sources including Adam's own military experiences (the Lapine language is based partially on Arabic that he studied during his military service in the Middle East) and the naturalist work, the Private Life of Rabbits.  Watership Down was the first book that I truly read for fun, and it certainly made an impact on me.  It inspired a lifetime of reading which has opened up many avenues to me in better understanding the world around me and the human condition.  Though this great man did much to benefit society in his life, including military service and managing the British clean air program that was designed to reduce coal-borne pollution, it is his literary contributions that have had the greatest impact on me personally. Through his inspired works he has touched millions of lives.

May he rest in peace.

(For those who are curious the BBC has an excellent summation of his life in this article )

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile