The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Hardest Game You've Played

Little Bro

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
With me, it has to be "Mario Kart 64" and "Mario Kart Wii." Those were games I'd have to let sit for a week out of frustration. Yet, I love both of those games :rolleyes I guess I like the challenge.
Go Chomper!

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
This is not gonna be an ordinary answer to this thread, but... Arise 4.

The fourth and final (and worst) game of the (already awful) Arise series of flash games on Newgrounds, Arise 4 took everything wrong with the first three games and made them even worse. And I happened to discover them while in a hotel room in Great Britain. The worst mechanic was the combat sections; randomly, floating heads will appear and float slowly towards you, you need to shoot all of them with the worst gun ever added to a video game. The gun had incredibly slow input delay, a crosshair that was only correct if you aren't moving, and no mouse boundaries, meaning you could easily click out of the playable space and then you couldn't fight back. If you miss a single floating head, you die and have to reload the entire game.

The catch? While playing, the internet suddenly died at my hotel. I called the receptionist (while still shooting these neverending heads with my other hand) and she confirmed it wouldn't be fixed till morning. So if I died in-game, that's the end of it.

I played for hours; the playable space is a hedge maze, impossible to tell sections apart from each other, the puzzles were nonsensical "just use things randomly until something works," and there were tons of items hidden behind invisible pixel-hunts. And those goddamn one-hit-kill faces kept appearing throughout the whole game. Eventually I booted up my Amazon Kindle (generation 1, which came with free internet anywhere on the planet, even if it was almost impossible to read webpages on its tiny screen) and suffered through following a text walkthrough, which was just barely easier than continuing to brute-force my way through.

And then the final boss was a giant floating head you had to kill forty-eight times, which should have been hard except I had a PhD in that game's terrible combat system by that point. Never gonna have another gaming experience like finally beating that game and closing the computer down for the night.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 09:35:25 PM by aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) »

chomper94

• The Chomper Fanatic (and the Meme Boy)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Hop in, we’re gonna go visit the GOF.
    • View Profile
Cuphead is probably the hardest game I’ve ever played.  As of today I’m still stuck in World 2 because the bosses are always so hard…

Silver the Pterosaur

• Apprentice to the Rainbow Faces
  • Member+
  • Ruby
  • in 1,474 days, I become an Optometrist.
    • View Profile
I generally stay away from the purposly hard games because I rage, and I mean RAGE!

I'm pretty sure I'd give Markiplier a run for his money if I ever played Getting Over It.
りゅうすけ

Loire

• Member+
  • Chomper
  • Your personal trustworthy crab, aargh!
    • View Profile
The most painful game I played that I can think of would be Super Monkey Ball, but that would be the most painful rather than the most challenging. I would say Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, playing World Tour in expert is horror but I managed to complete it all on that difficulty. It was really satisfying.  :Tickles

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I've beaten every campaign in Left 4 Dead 2 solo without bots, and it took me years. I'm talking all zombies active, including the specials who incapacitate you in one hit, making it a very challenging way to play a game that was built for 4 people defending each other.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on December 20, 2021, 06:12:48 PM
Quote from: aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato) on December 20, 2021, 06:12:48 PM
I've beaten every campaign in Left 4 Dead 2 solo without bots, and it took me years. I'm talking all zombies active, including the specials who incapacitate you in one hit, making it a very challenging way to play a game that was built for 4 people defending each other.

Wow, I'm actually super impressed by that! I struggled to finish each campaign even in coop with my friends, chargers were the bane of my existence haha. What difficulty did you manage to beat them on, surely not insane?!

For me, it's probably Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, the most recent game to have me swearing at my TV and sulking  :P

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It was only Normal difficulty, I gave Advanced a few tries but I definitely was never good enough for Expert :P These are my 3 secrets to staying alive in Left 4 Dead 2, simple mechanics that massively increase your survivability.

I do watch people that run Realism Expert Solo runs, I talk about a few in this old video (which is depressingly quiet, I did not understand audio levels back then). Watching how they play is great for learning how to stay alive in your ordinary co-op runs imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXltNr6X3sM

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Ah fair enough, even normal is impressive given it just takes one special infected to ruin your run!

Good tips for expert runs in the video, if only it could account for me and my friends' blind panic everytime a random horde comes in, or our frequent accidental friendly fire  :P