The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pleo

Loofah · 26 · 1946

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Robots can clearly not be loved as a true pet, as it is not the same. Anyone who can afford a robot pet for their child, could easily afford a real pet. Real pets can love being with you, as robot pets can not, and any parent that would prefer a robot pet over a real one for their child must have a slight problem, as it will indeed affect their childhood going into their adulthood.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Currently robots and computers are unable to, but how about when they can really love or have true feelings.  There will be the technology someday.

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, i for one will never choose a robot over a true pet, as they do not have the same feeling when being with man's best friend, (or any other pets) even if they can eventually be programmed to act with and have feelings, they will never be true companions to me.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Some will feel that way.   Though I've heard more then one scientist who has ideas for how robots and computers can have true feelings.  One idea some have is when their computing power and technology is up to it to raise it like a child so it can develop it's personality on it's own.  Also there is at least 1 computer program or robot, forgot which, that they let run at night when the scientists are off at home and let it go over stuff about stuff and reach conclusions.  Though true thought and emotions will not be here yet.  

Outer limits had an interesting episode, I've heard about it but not seen it, where a robot is tried for murder.  I look forward to seeing it someday, when I get around to getting the Outer Limits dvd sets.

Mornai

• Petrie
    • View Profile
That last bit is one of the small reasons i would not want any robot to be so close to being a living organism as seen in some movies where robots later develop a mind of their own and attack/kill someone or leave the people they were with or something, but i doubt that will happen unless proved otherwise.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I"m sure they'd put in lots of overrides.  Maybe have limits put on their strength.