The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ultra Widescreen (16:9)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've been wondering what they were going to do next in the way of monitors and TVs and it seems that they've decided to make the newer models have the 16:9 aspect ratio instead of the standard 16:10 that most widescreen monitors and TVs out there have today.  I didn't think it was a big deal until I got an ultra widescreen laptop.  It's 15.6" as opposed to 15.4 and the difference is HUGE.  I put it next to my standard 16:10 17" laptop and I must admit I liked the ultra widescreen display more even though it was smaller.  

I just got all my monitors to flat panels and only a few aren't widescreen, but now here comes the new 16:9 displays and I'm contemplating switching.  But now I have to really make the choice.  I'll be getting a new monitor for my master computer.  It will be a minimum of 25".  I've even had to go buy a new Sapphire Radeon graphics card in order for it to look decent with a DVI connection.  But now I'm faced with a dilemma.  The 25" ultra widescreen is $250 and the standard widescreen 28" is $300.  I have to choose between them.  I can't find a ultra widescreen over 25" for under $1,000 and I shouldn't have to tell you that I will NEVER spend that much for a monitor.  

Money is a little tight right now.  I'm barely making enough to cover my internet expenses (I have 5 connections so I spend around $600 per month on internet) and other business expenses.  That being said, the $250 is looking pretty good to me.  On the other hand, I have to remember that I might regret getting a smaller screen.  Of course I could just spend $1,500 and get a 16:9 projector.  That way there'd be no way for me to upgrade.  I'd have the best of the best.  Coding on a projector is soooooooo nice.  But then there'd be bulb expenses.  I just can't win.  I'm on the verge of just flipping a coin and going with that decision.

So in answer to the thread question, I don't know if I'll be switching or not.  I'll let y'all know when I can afford it and when I do it.  What about you?  Are you going to be switching to the newest screen?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
If I win the lotto, maybe. :p

I don't honestly see how 25" isn't big enough.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Nah, I have an old crt and likely will keep using it as long as it lasts.  At least for the foreseeable future.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't honestly see how 25" isn't big enough.

Hey I'd be happy with a 25", but if there's a 28" out there for virtually the same price I think I'm going to have to go with the 28". :p

If I really was able to get what I wanted in a monitor, this would be the one:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...wse=&lang=en-US

Only $999 for a 30" ultra widescreen Dell display.  1000:1 contrast ratio, Ultra High 2560x1600 Native Resolution @60Hz.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Holy Crap landbeforetimelover! :p

Only thing is, you'd need a pretty beefy video card to be able to run anything 3d ish in that native res.  That's a lot of pixels to push at 60 frames per second.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Only thing is, you'd need a pretty beefy video card to be able to run anything 3d ish in that native res. That's a lot of pixels to push at 60 frames per second.

Exactly why I'm getting the 28" Hanns-G monitor instead.  My 512mb Sapphrie Radeon card couldn't run that Dell at it's highest potential and besides.....do I want to spend $299 or $999?.....tough choice.