The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Preview from an upcoming fanfic

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
This is the beginning of a new fanfic I started. It won't be too long, hopefully. I intend on this being a oneshot. It will focus mostly on Littlefoot, and be, likely, entirely from his viewpoint.

I have yet to name the story. I haven't thought of a title yet.

Here is the first scene-

ëWhy did he do it? Why did he just...leave like that?’

This question played over and over again in Littlefoot’s mind. He knew it was fruitless to keep asking himself that question. His dad had already answered it for him when they had met each other for the first time, back at Crater Valley. His story had been short and simple, but it was enough for him to have a good idea on his father’s mindset and motivations.

...or did it? He had thought he was satisfied, and had even spent some time bonding with him. He had gotten to know his father well, to the point when it came time for him to leave or choose to stay, it was hard to make the decision. Whatever he had chosen would have resulted in a loss of something. He couldn’t ask his friends to stay, and he couldn’t beg his father to abandon his herd. Yet...the question remains.

Why? Why was he so unsatisfied with his dad’s answer? Why couldn’t he just let it go? It was old news. His dad felt bad about it, and if he could, he would have done things differently. So why hang onto it?

Deep down, Littlefoot knew what the problem was. He was still angry with his father. He hadn’t realized it before. He had been too focused on hanging out with his dad, and the bright circle nearly falling out of the sky, that it just...left his mind. It had taken the whole month since he had come back for the old, bitter feelings to return. It was not a pleasant sensation, and Littlefoot was left constantly in the grip of nausea.

He had to do something about it, but what? It wasn’t like his dad was anywhere nearby. He couldn’t just walk all the way to Crater Valley by himself just to speak with him. And he couldn’t expect his father to do the same.

Still, he had to find some way to talk to him. The question was just going to keep burning his mind if he didn’t find out. Maybe he can talk to his grandparents. Yeah, they might know of something.

The young longneck rested at the edge of the small cliff, his head positioned over the jagged edge. He looked down below, seeing his friends play in the distance, running around in an open field. They couldn’t see him; his body was covered up by the green food, mostly cast in the shade of the bright circle. He didn’t want to be seen. He wasn’t in the mood to play today. At the moment, his mind was off wandering too much to really focus on whatever game they wanted to play. He felt guilty for lying to them earlier about being sick, but...he had no choice. He needed time to clear his mind.

His friends would have wanted to help. He knew that’s what they would have said if they find out later he lied. He would have accepted their help. He just didn’t think they could help him with this. He didn’t want them to have the burden they did not deserve. No, he would deal with this his own way.

He felt something moving in the ground. Vibrations, the thuds of heavy feet. At first, he thought it was his grandparents. No, the feet thuds weren’t heavy enough. Mr. Clubtail, perhaps? No, not quite...

Littlefoot’s eyes widened when the bush not far from him parted, revealing the familiar, greyed face of Mr. Threehorn. He immediately turned himself around and stared at the large dinosaur before him.

ëWhat’s he doing here? Did he follow me?’ Littlefoot mentally shook his head at that crazy thought. ëNo, that’s not like him. He usually has better things to do than hang out with longnecks.’

Littlefoot lowered his body as he saw the massive threehorn stare down at him. For a moment, their eyes locked. The young longneck was instantly reminded of when they first met. The intensity of that glare...so much like he was giving now... Littlefoot would never forget that moment. He hadn’t been as terrified as, say, going up against Sharptooth, but that wasn’t saying much. Even now, he still felt a level of...not fear completely, but..apprehension? Yes, apprehension, around him.

Mr. Threehorn looked surprised to see him. Not that it surprised Littlefoot all that much. He was pretty well hidden in the bush, and it wasn’t like he was making a lot of noise. That surprised expression was soon replaced with that familiar frown that he knew all too well. Littlefoot waited for a condescending remark from him, or for him to simply turn around and walk away.

What he got instead was entirely unexpected, considering just who Mr. Threehorn was.

“What is the matter, kid? Got something on your mind?”

Littlefoot spluttered. He hadn’t expect that kind of response from him. Mr. Threehorn wasn’t usually the type to ask how others were feeling. Unable to respond, he just stared at him.

Mr. Threehorn snorted. “I don’t know why you’re looking at me that way.”

“You...never asked me that before...” Littlefoot finally managed a response. “I-I was just...”

Mr. Threehorn tilted his head to one side. He looked at Littlefoot with a single, scrutinizing eye. “What? You think I’m not capable of asking such a question?”

“N-No! That’s not it!” Littlefoot shook his head. “I-It’s just that...” He stammered, struggling to get his sentence finished. “I-I don’t know...”

The large, grey threehorn glared down at him. After a second, there was a slight softening of his expression. Not much, but for him, it was a big deal. “Oh, that’s quite all right. It isn’t a question I ask normally...unless it was with Cera, but that goes without saying.”

Littlefoot nodded his head. Of course he would ask that of Cera at least once. She was his daughter after all, and the only member left of his family. Littlefoot felt his heart sting at this realization. Shaking it out of his mind, he turned around and laid himself back down. His chin rested on the ground as his legs were crossed.

“Oh, nothing is wrong.” Littlefoot spoke softly. “I just...came up here to rest. I wasn’t feeling well and...I...” He fell silent for a few moments. “I’m fine.”

“I know something is on your mind, Littlefoot. You can’t keep it hidden from me.” Mr. Threehorn said. Littlefoot could feel the ground move slightly as the large dinosaur took a step forward. When Littlefoot didn’t respond, Mr. Threehorn snorted, his impatience practically transparant. “I’m not stupid, Littlefoot. I know you well enough to recognize when something is bothering you.” He lifted his head up swiftly in a gesturing motion. “Usually, you’re out playing with my daughter and your other friends. To see you sitting here, by yourself, and then trying to lie to me... Yeah, something’s definitely eating you.”

Littlefoot’s eyes widened in horror. “Something is eating me? Where?!” Littlefoot immediately looked around his body.

Mr. Threehorn chuckled dryly. “It was just an expression, Littlefoot.”

Littlefoot relaxed at this. “Oh...” He sat back down. He lowered his head, giving the threehorn an upwards glance. “So..how did you know I was lying?”

“I have my ways, kid.” Mr. Threehorn said with a smile. “Having Cera for a daughter has taught me some tricks in how to tell when someone is lying to me. Besides...” He raised up his foot and motioned it towards Littlefoot. “Your tail was twitching a little too much, and your voice was a little higher pitched than normal. I think it’s safe to assume that you weren’t being all that truthful.”

“Oh..” Littlefoot gave a half smile of embarrassment. “Am I that easy to figure out?”

“If you want to lie, you should try a little harder.” Mr. Threehorn opened his mouth and ripped out some grass from the ground. He chewed it up and swallowed. He turned back to Littlefoot. “So why don’t we start over from the beginning, this time with the truth?”

Littlefoot gritted his teeth. He didn’t feel all that comfortable with talking to Cera’s dad, of all dinosaurs, about his problems. He wasn’t exactly the sentimental type. Even Cera admitted that he was hard to speak to at times. And Littlefoot being a longneck certainly didn’t help things. He had his doubts that Mr. Threehorn would be able to help him, or even want to try all that hard.

Then again, what did he have to lose? It would be good to get this off his chest, even if it was with Mr. Threehorn. If anything, this could be good practice for when he spoke to his grandparents on the issue.

“Well, you see...I...I was just thinking about my dad...” Littlefoot managed to say.

Mr. Threehorn’s expression softened up again, only by a tiny bit. “You mean Bron?” Littlefoot nodded his head. “Yes..I believe Cera mentioned him to me when you kids got back.” There was a slight annoyance in his voice. It was clear that he was not happy that Cera left with the rest of her friends unguarded. “Okay...so what about him?”

“I’m just trying to understand why he left.” Littlefoot admitted. “You see, many years ago, when I was still... Before I was an egg, my dad left to find a safe place to raise me. But when he came back, everything had changed and we were gone. He tried to find me, but he never did... And he eventually found Crater Valley and formed a herd.”

“So he forgot about you?” Asked Mr. Threehorn.

“No! No, it wasn’t like that.” Littlefoot struggled to remember what else his dad had told him. “He was trying to find me. He found out my mom was dead, so he tried to find me. Day in, day out, he looked. But he had no luck.” He turned his head away. “I...guess he thought I was dead.”

“I see.” Mr. Threehorn nodded once, appearing to understand. “Did you two make it up?”

“Yeah. I met him at Crater Valley and he explained what happened. We got to know one another and we did make up for lost time. I was even..reluctant to return. It felt so hard leaving him...” Littlefoot would never forget the look on his dad’s face when he had to leave him behind.

Mr. Threehorn frowned at this. “And...so?”

Littlefoot looked at up him in surprise. “Huh?”

“So...what? If he explained what happened to you, and if you’re on good terms with him, then..what about him is bothering you? Is there something that you aren’t telling me?”

The longneck pondered about how he should tell Mr. Threehorn. How could he word this without sounding weird? He had never admitted something like this before to anyone. He never expected Mr. Threehorn to be his first go. He felt like he was being rushed. The threehorn’s glare wasn’t helping him.

He soon realized that he had no idea how he was going to say this. He knew what was wrong and what was bothering him. But to put it to words... That was a whole different story. Organizing the proper thoughts and sentences in his head was a lot harder than he thought it was going to be. He wondered if this was what dinosaurs like Mr. Thicknose had to go through when trying to explain something personal. He recalled it wasn’t exactly easy for the thicknose to confess about him never having left the Great Valley and how all his knowledge of the outside world came from farwalkers.

Before he could speak another word, Mr. Threehorn’s voice stopped him.

“It’s because you aren’t satisfied with his answer...isn’t it?”

Littlefoot stared wide-eyed at the grey threehorn. Was he a mind reader? Swallowing dryly, he nodded. “Yeah... I mean...I know he told me what he could, but..something just feels...wrong, I guess.” He looked away. “I’m not sure how to explain it.”

“You feel that he could have done more. You feel that he shouldn’t have left, and you can’t come to peace with what he did.” Mr. Threehorn said as he stared down at Littlefoot. The longneck didn’t look up. He heard the sound of chewing and swallowing. He felt another step towards him. “Trust me, kid. I know how you feel.”

“Y-You do...?” Littlefoot raised his head a little higher. “How? Did you have a father that left you?” Mr. Threehorn shook his head. “Then how could you possibly understand...?” Littlefoot rested his head back down. He should have known that the old dinosaur wouldn’t understand.

“Because I am a father...and I’m a leader.” The grey dinosaur backtracked and corrected himself. “I was a leader...” For a moment, there was a look of sorrow in the threehorn’s eyes. It was brief and fleeting, and with a quick shake of his head, it was gone. “I have had to make many hard decisions in my life, both for my family, and for the good of my herd. Sometimes, they were the right choice. Other times, they would backfire horribly on me. I felt every loss, even if I didn’t show it. But I would always question why I made them, why I didn’t try something different, how things might have been different.”

Littlefoot looked at the threehorn sympathetically. The inflexion of his voice suggested some..personal experience with bad decision making. He wondered if this had anything to do with the disappearance of his mate and other children. He decided it was best not to press the matter. “So...do you know why my dad would just..leave like that?”

Mr. Threehorn snorted at this. “Of course not! I don’t know him! But you do.” He lowered his head slightly. “Only you can fully answer that.” He raised his head back up. “However, I can tell you what I think. I can give you an idea of what it must have been like for him. Now, I don’t know how you longnecks run your herds, and frankly, I’m not all that interested.” He shook his head. “But I’m sure that Bron’s reason was at least partially influenced by the burden of being the leader.”

“Leader?” Littlefoot narrowed his eyes in confusion.

“Wasn’t he the leader of your family group?” Asked the threehorn.

“I...” Littlefoot looked left and right. He had never really thought to ask his dad that. He was the leader of the current herd, yes. But he did not know about his immediate family group, with his mom and grandparents. Well, it would make sense if he was. “I..think so.”

“Then if he was, when he made the choice, a thousand questions must have been racing through his mind. Something must have prompted the decision for him to leave.” Mr. Threehorn explained.

“But what? Why couldn’t he have stayed?” Littlefoot tried his best to keep himself under control. He didn’t mean to get this emotional about it. But the anger was still there, yearning for understanding. “Why didn’t he just take my mom with her? Then we would have been together! We....”

“Could all have been killed.” Mr. Threehorn’s answer was blunt, precise, and to the point. Littlefoot couldn’t even think of a response to that. “I was around during that time. I remember being with my...mate, discussing the decision to move on. The land we lived in was great, so full of food and life. But..the winds of change had been long approaching, and we knew it was only a matter of time before something happened.”

“The winds of change?” Littlefoot was confused. What did the threehorn mean by that?

“It’s something you longnecks wouldn’t understand. But you see...we threehorns have a better sense of smell.” Mr. Threehorn explained. “It’s not noticeable when we are kids, but as adults, we can smell things better than most other kinds. It’s not as good as sharpteeth’s... but it’s still better than yours.”

“I see...” Littlefoot tried to wrap his mind around that. He didn’t expect threehorns to have that good sense a smell. He tried not to dwell on it too much. “So you could smell something was coming?”

Mr. Threehorn nodded his head. “Yes. It’s...hard to explain. But yes, we could definitely smell something was coming. So we had to leave. We didn’t stick around for long and we departed.” He raised his head up, his eyes fixating towards the sky for a few seconds. “I’m sure your father probably saw me leave, and realized something was wrong.” He looked down at Littlefoot. “We threehorns are the toughest dinosaurs in existence.”

Littlefoot tried not to smirk at his show of arrogance. This was more like the Mr. Threehorn that he knew. “So when you guys leave, everybody knows something is up?”

Mr. Threehorn nodded. “Precisely.”

“So...how would my folks have died if they left together?” Littlefoot narrowed his eyes in confusion. “You didn’t tell me that.”

“Oh I didn’t?” Mr. Threehorn widened his eyes slightly. “Oh yes, I forgot to add that part.” He cleared his throat. “Well, our herd was migrating at the time, and we had come in front the direction your father headed in.”

“I thought you left before him.” Littlefoot interjected.

“We did. But it’s hard to miss a massive dinosaur like your father, even from a distance.” Mr. Threehorn said with a smile. The smirk quickly faded as he continued, “That land had a lot of dangers in it, kid. Nothing like you had ever faced before. I’m surprised that he went alone, let alone even survived it.”

Littlefoot’s eyes widened in horror. “Why would my dad take such a risk?”

“Because there was food there. There was a land beyond that we had been to before. Great place.” Mr. Threehorn said. “It was the pinnacle of herd migrations before the Great Valley was ever brought up again. Tree Sweet Meadows I believe it was called. It was surrounded by these plants that masked our scent and warded off sharpteeth, so it was a pretty safe place to be.” He tilted his head to one side. “I’m sure that’s where your father was going.”

The mention of the plants immediately reminded Littlefoot of those stinky plants that Chomper hid them in. He didn’t know how they could work on a large scale like that. But perhaps the old dinosaur was talking about a larger, more robust version of the plant, with a stronger smell. Littlefoot wrinkled his nose at the thought. He wasn’t sure if he would like the idea of living in a place like that.

“I know how you feel, kid. But you get used to the smell.” Said Mr. Threehorn.

“Yeah, I’m sure...” Littlefoot looked up at Mr. Threehorn. “So you’re saying that my mom could have been killed by these...dangers that you mentioned?”

Mr. Threehorn said, “I wouldn’t doubt it. In her...condition, she would have been a bit slower, and sharpteeth would have picked up on her condition and attacked her. Bron might be a young, strong longneck I’m sure, but even he would have a hard time defending his pregnant mate in a place like that. Even if the sharpteeth were taken care of, there was the land itself, and...” A quick flash of horror graced his face. “Be glad you will never have to go there, kid.”

Littlefoot’s mind played through images of dangers that the threehorn could be referring to. His imagination rapidly went wild as bizarre and horrendeous things came to mind. He shook his head, getting those thoughts out of his head. “So, my dad couldn’t stay because of the winds of change...and he couldn’t take mom with because she might have been killed...along with me...”

Mr. Threehorn nodded his head. “That sounds about right, yes. Now I’m not saying that’s how it would have been. But...as a leader, and a father, you have to be careful with your choices. Bron may have thought him leaving on his own, and then coming back, would have been the best choice.” He paused for a moment. “Was it the best choice? Maybe not. Does he regret it? I’m sure he does. But that’s the thing about leadership, Littlefoot. You will always make a decision you don’t like.”

Littlefoot lowered his head. “I just wish I knew exactly why he left...”

“You could always ask him...if he ever happens to stop by.” Suggested the threehorn.

“Yeah...I could.. Thanks.” Littlefoot said softly, his mind sifting through this new information he had been given. Even if he didn’t still fully understand, Mr. Threehorn did at least help put things into perspective.

“Well I better get going now.” Mr. Threehorn turned his head, looking back to where he guessed the nest was. “Cera will be coming back to the nest shortly for supper.” He eyed Littlefoot. “I won’t tell her about your little lie if you promise you don’t tell her about this conversation. It never happened. Got it?”

Littlefoot smirked and nodded. “My mouth is closed.”

“Good.” With that, Mr. Threehorn turned and walked away.

Littlefoot watched as the threehorn left. He was not surprised by the threehorn’s request. If anything, he would have been more shocked if he didn’t bring that up. Mr. Threehorn usually didn’t carry out conversations like this, especially not with another kind. He probably didn’t want his daughter thinking that he was going soft.

He looked back out towards his friends. It was a little easier to see them now. They were coming closer. They still hadn’t spotted him, not even Petrie. He was glad. He was still not comfortable with speaking to them on this manner. Maybe he will later on, once he came to grips with his feelings on the subject, and once he understood things better. He took Mr. Threehorn’s words into consideration. Yeah, talking with his father might work, an idea he had before.

Littlefoot didn’t know when he was going to see his dad again, though. And he realized that there may be only one way he could get in touch with him. He hated the idea of leaving the Great Valley again, especially since it felt as though he had just gotten back. But there were little options available to him.

Getting up from his resting spot, the longneck turned and headed back towards his nest. It was time to speak to his grandparents.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, I must confess that Bron's odd behavior perplexes me greatly.

P.S. , oops,, didn't see how long it was.   :oops   Fixed now.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Very nice,very nice indeed.

This looks like a story I would indeed enjoy,I like it. As we know the 11th movie acted like the events of the 10th movie never happened even Bron being mentioned very briefly and not even by name with "Just think how big your dad is".

I've wondered why didn't they go more into detail about how Littlefoot felt, to me he took it way more easily then he should off..or the people making the movie didn't want to go into that..either one.

I like how you put it, Littlefoot seems to be doubting what he has been told and to be honest I was not expecting Mr Threehorn of all characters to be the one to have this chat with Littlefoot. I like it though, shows Mr Threehorn does indeed have caring side to the other children who ain't his or ain't even three-horns...well enough to notice when something is wrong with them at least, which is great lots of writers make Threehorn a grumpy old dude who hates pretty much everyone.

I'll have to check out the full thing when you post it as I really enjoyed this preview, and really interested in seeing what happens next and how the story concludes. But so far so good.

And as for a name...yes names are always the hardest part ain't they? I tend to think about the story as whole and try and think of a name that sums it up or captures the feel. I'm sure you'll think of something in time.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
A very nice beginning.  :yes I really don't have anything to add besides what I mentioned on Skype, but I feel that this is a very promising start to a story that could help explain Bron's actions.  The fact that it has also shown Littlefoot's distress over the unanswered questions (something that the films glossed over) and Topsy's compassionate sides are also great strengths in my opinion.  I look forward to seeing how this develops.  :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I admit that I wouldn't be brave enough to touch the very hot iron of Bron's story myself. I see Bron's story as a total mess up on the part of the makers of LBT 10 leaving an amount of debris very difficult to clear up. But you told me that justifying or smoothing out Bron's actions is not the point of the story.
I find the idea of Cera's father of all dinosaurs to talk about this to Littlefoot quite interesting and his role as a leader and the loss of most of his family, pointed out in the story, gives credence to him of all dinosaurs saying something about this.
The scene could perhaps benefit immensly from being embedded in a somewhat wider angle to give a basis to the sensitivity of Mr. Threehorn in the story (which is rightfully pointed out as unusual for him).
I don't totally agree with Mr. Threehorns interpretation of Bron having left so the herd wouldn't all be killed together. In many cases (sharpteeth) there would be a degree of safety in numbers while spreading out to avoid all of them standing at the same spot which happens to be the deathzone of an unforseen natural disaster may be a precaution more likely to attract the more likely danger of sharpteeth going after the smaller groups.
“So, my dad couldn’t stay because of the winds of change...and he couldn’t take mom with because she might have been killed...along with me...”
It still doesn't really say why Bron would think of the risk for Littlefoot's mother would have been higher had they gone together at a pace she could manage; but answering that question was probably not the point of your story.

There is one little thing I noticed that may be different from what I think LBT 10 suggests:
He couldn’t just walk all the way to Crater Valley by himself just to speak with him. And he couldn’t expect his father to do the same.
And he eventually found Crater Valley and formed a herd.
I do not think Crater Valley is the home of Bron and his herd. Towards the end of LBT 10 Bron tells Littlefoot that he couldn't wait to introduce him to his herd back home (causing me back then to furiously over the top ask why he didn't bring his whole herd along to the meeting where all longnecks were supposed to go and if it was the old, weak and vulnerable he left behind to fend for themselves) strongly suggesting for the crater not to be the home of Bron and his herd.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Took me a while but I finally got around to reading your snippet DH. Gotta say, not only does it dabble on a rather interesting concept of Littlefoot not fully accepting Bron's reasons for leaving him and his mother that day as he mentioned in LBT 10 but the characterisation of both Littlefoot and Mr Threehorn was crafted with immense care and attention. The banter and general back and forth between the two characters was subtle but meaningfully engaging. It was very interesting seeing Mr Threehorn in a slightly different light as the wise elder giving advice compared to the "bash now, question later", hard-headed approach to dealing with things. There's an interwoven backstory carefully hidden amongst Mr Threehorn's words that begs to be explored in greater detail but it was an excellent premise to help Littlefoot come to terms with his warring emotions.

Speaking of which, the pace of the little piece was brilliant with an equal balance of dialogue and expressive prose. I like how this is a case of "after the heat has died down" of Littlefoot finding Bron and now he's had some time to really think things through, he is not content with Bron's initial story and demands (in his own silent way) to know more about the cutting decision to leave his family when he did. A very interesting concept; one that adds depth to some already well sculpted characters.

A well scripted piece, wonderfully balanced and excellently paced. All with a nice follow up right at the end with Littlefoot heading off to find his grandparents (wanting to find out more no doubt). Nice job! :D

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't been working on the story too much lately, as I got stuck. However, I still managed to write some more. So I'll post what else I had managed to write for the time being.

It didn’t take Littlefoot long to reach the nest again. He had been able to get back quicker than he had expected. His friends hadn’t really noticed he was there. No called for his name were heard, and his friends wouldn’t have kept quiet if they saw him. After all, he was supposed to be sick, and seeing him walking around anyway would confuse or concern them.

Cera especially would nag him. Out of them, she would be the first to realize he had lied to them, and she would demand the truth. Not simply ask, but demand. She was like that. Not always the most polite dinosaur. But she still had the best intentions at heart, even if her methods were...questionable to say the least.

She was certainly better than how she used to be. He often could not believe the yellow threehorn that he played with everyday was the same one that he initially met long before he ever set foot in the Great Valley. She had been different then. More aggressive. More spiteful of other species. Harder to deal with. Less sensitive about certain matters. More likely to say something inappropriate. She had been willing to leave Spike behind and she had insulted his mother.

Looking at her now, it was a surprise at how much she had changed. He guessed that the experience had ultimately humbled her, and living in a largely stressfree valley certainly helped. But no amount of staying here could get rid of her stubbornness, and she certainly wouldn’t let him live this down if he was caught in his little lie.

His thoughts soon turned to the previous topic at hand as his grandparents rapidly came into view. He watched as the two massive dinosaurs, still keen even in their old age, rested on the ground, their tails curled slightly towards their bodies. By this point, some of the stars had already started to shine. Not many, just enough to slightly decorate the colorful sky, the colors emptying into blackness in the far distance.

Littlefoot approached his grandparents slowly, not wanting to disturb them. They appeared to be having a peaceful moment just staring out into the stars. Normally, he’d call out to them, but today, it was different. He was still in a deep, contemplative mood, and his grandparents almost seemed to reflect that. He can save his question for later, whenever his grandparents decided to speak. He still needed a bit of time to think.

The young longneck went to his usual sleeping spot, which was not far from his grandparents. The two old dinosaurs hadn’t yet noticed him, or perhaps they just didn’t acknowledge him yet. He laid down on the ground, curling into a small ball. He looked over at his grandparents, who still didn’t seem to realize he was there. They were too busy looking at the stars to notice him. Littlefoot thought about calling out their names, but chose to remain quiet. He instead looked at the stars as well.

There weren’t too many in the sky, but the ones they could see, they were quite pretty. They seemed to almost sparkle in the colorful, darkening sky. If he were to stare long enough, the number of stars would increase. It was quite fascinating, and often left him in awe. Sometimes he wondered where the stars went during the daytime. Do they fly away scared off by the bright circle? Possible; the bright circle’s light was pretty intense.

But enough thinking about stars. He turned his mind back to Bron. He could feel the insides of his stomach start to burn as he longed to be able to talk to his dad again. He didn’t know what his grandparents would be able to do. He couldn’t ask them to go on that incredibly long journey again just to ask his father a question. He also didn’t want to endanger his friends. Knowing Cera, she would convince them to join her in tracking him down again. They were lucky to have run into Pat during their first trip. They might not be so fortunate next time.

His grandparents might know of something that he could do. He wasn’t sure what, but if he could just ask them, then maybe...

Oh what good will it do? They would not travel that far for a question, and he had his doubts Bron would come all the way over here. His only chance was to play the long game, and just...wait. Not the answer that he wanted, but...waiting seems to be his best choice.

He could simply wait until he was old enough to leave the valley on his own. Then he wouldn’t need to worry about his grandparents taking him; he could just go on his own. He wasn’t sure how well he could handle this burning sensation of wanting to know, but he probably could manage. Just remind himself each night that, one day, he’d get the answers he so desired.

Littlefoot suddenly felt tired. He wasn’t sure what it was. He hadn’t really done much of anything. Perhaps he thought too hard. His head felt like it was on fire. He should probably get some sleep. Yes..that might help him clear his mind and think of how he was going to word things with grandma and grandpa. Rest had helped him out before, and it could do so again. With that resolve, he looked over at his grandparents and uttered a single word before closing his eyes.

“Goodnight, grandma and grandpa.”

His eyes shut, and he instantly welcomed the darkness that followed.

“Do you think he knows, dear?”

“No...he has never asked.”

“Maybe he is just too afraid.”

“That isn’t like him. If he knew anything, he would bring it up.”

Littlefoot jostled on the ground, trying to keep his eyes closed. But how can he? His grandparents..what were they talking about? Curiosity swiftly got the better of him and he opened them up.

Only to be greeted by the most surreal sight he had ever seen.

No longer was he on the grassy land, with a dark sky overhead. No longer was the night circle up, giving a soft, white glow, or the stars hanging overhead, sparkling in the blackness above him. No longer did anything even appear remotely normal. It almost reminded him of that dream he had with the bright circle falling. Only this was much more bizarre.

The land he was on was blackened, almost like fire had scorched it. Yet, when he looked at the trees, the leaves still remained, even though they were several shades darker than they used to be. They swayed in visible wind, pale grey lines that moved through the air, hitting against the trunks and making them bend much further than usual. The mountains that made up the walls of the Great Valley looked more jagged and foreboding, nothing like how he was used to. This was not the comforting valley he had grown to love.

His grandparents looked rather odd as well. Their bodies were much darker. Not black, but close to it. They appeared much taller, more stretched out, more mysterious. Almost an enigma. He couldn’t even see their faces, and they hardly moved, save for a bit of swaying from their tails, and their heads moving ever so slightly from one side to the other. When they spoke, their mouths didn’t appear to open, at least from his angle.

“Sooner or later, he is going to question us.” His grandmother said. “It is probably best if we tell him now.”

His grandfather shook his head. “Do you know what that might do to him? He’s happy right now. Let’s not tell him. He’s having a fun time right now. Let’s allow them to have their fun.”

Littlefoot tilted his head, perplexed. What were they talking about?

“Grandpa? Grandma?” He asked, but he got no response.

Littlefoot approached his grandparents cautiously. He continuously called out their names, only to be greeted by silence. His grandparents didn’t speak again after that. They merely nuzzled each other, which in itself, the longneck didn’t find too weird or unusual. It was only when he got closer did he see something very wrong with this picture.

The two masses of flesh were getting fused together...

Littlefoot let out a terrified scream, scrambling to get back as the two old longnecks before him started to become part of each other. Literally. The skin turned into something like mud, and it stretched and swirled around each other before they become locked in place. Gone was the familiar shape of the longnecks, and present was a massive form of a shape he could not fully comprehend. It was round, angular, and just all over the place. The massive size of it put Littlefoot in its shadow, making the longneck back up more.

He couldn’t tear his eyes away from it. He watched as the shape stretched and bent on the ground. It danced before him, and then there was an opening in the center. Something with sharp, jagged teeth... Letting out another scream, Littlefoot dove into the ground and put his legs over his head. He shut his eyes and stayed where he was, too afraid to try to get up and run.

When nothing happened, he worked up the courage to open up one eye. The shape was moving. Opening both eyes and raising his head, Littlefoot watched as the thing appeared to stretch towards the sky, leaving behind a long, winding trail. Littlefoot stared in awe at this, his young mind trying to comprehend what he was seeing.

He didn’t get long to think about it. Below his feet, the ground started to quake and shiver. Littlefoot was knocked from side to side. His feet slipped out from underneath him and he let out a grunt as he hit the grassy floor. He spluttered out dirt and grass as he pushed himself up on one leg.

Looking to the left, his eyes widened in horror when he saw something round and white, shining in the bright light above him.

An egg... What was it doing out here?

Litltefoot looked on as the egg wobbled from side to side, increasing in frequency as the quake got stronger. A crack began to form around it, and he could hear the grinding of rocks, loud cracks filling his ears. Panting heavily, the longneck scrambled back up to his feet and rushed towards the egg.

“Hold on! I’m coming!” He shouted.

He tried to move as fast as he could. He pounded the ground with his feet, propelling him forward as quickly as possible. The ground beneath him grew more and more unstable. He could feel it begin to crumble underneath his weight, causing him to fall a few times. Each time, he’d get back up and continue running, but for some reason, it felt as though each tumble increased the difficulty of this challenge.

Through the challenge and difficulty, Littlefoot managed to reach the egg. He looked down at it with concern, doing a cursory look to make sure that it was fine. He sighed with relief when he saw no marks on it.

Suddenly, the ground underneath them broke. Littlefoot felt his footing crumble into small pieces and he plunged downward. The egg was no longer in sight. He looked around frantically, seeing nothing but blackness.

That is, until he saw the eyes...

Littlefoot screamed and he flailed his thick legs as he tried to gain some kind of leverage. He struck out against the blackness all around him, but he found nothing. Just empty air. He looked down below, shrieking as the thing below him, its glowing yellow eyes staring at him, opened its giant maw, rows of what appear to be sharp teeth growing around the edges. He shut his eyes and waited for the end.

He hit something solid and flat. Confused, he opened up his eyes. Where had this platform come from? He looked out at the beast still below him. To his terror, he could see the egg plummeting down, the jaws snapping around it and the sickening crunch could be heard.

“No!”

sss

“Littlefoot? Littlefoot, wake up!”

The young longneck opened up his eyes. He was instantly greeted by the blurry vision that was his grandmother. Her familiar face, though fuzzy, was easily recognizable. If he didn’t recognize that, then he’d recognize her voice. Soft and soothing, it instantly reminded him of where he was.

Littlefoot looked left and right, seeing that the land hadn’t changed. The land was still green...or at least, as green as it could be in the darkness of night. There was no quake, no breaking of the ground, no egg that was being swallowed up by some strange rock-like sharptooth. Just him, his grandparents, and the silence of the valley. Sighing with relief, he rested his head back on the ground.

He didn’t get a chance to close his eyes again when he heard his grandmother speak to him.

“What’s going on, Littlefoot? Did you have a bad sleep story?”

Littlefoot looked up at his grandmother. He wanted to just dismiss it and forget it ever happened. He was still shaken up by the events of the sleep story. But the words flowed out of his mouth before he had realized it. “Yes.”

His grandmother gave him a sympathetic look. “Do you mind talking about it? The night circle is still high in the sky. We have a bit of time to talk if you’d like.”

Littlefoot paused for a moment. He wasn’t entirely sure if he wanted to talk about it right this second. He could feel his eyelids growing heavy and even the stars felt too bright for him right now. All he wanted to do right now was go back to sleep. And yet he could not. That sleep story... It was so strange.. It gnawed away at his insides, threatening to make him expel his food from his stomach. Curiosity made its presence known, and it made it impossible for him to close his eyes, no matter how much he tried.

He supposed he could stay up a little while and speak to his grandmother. She was right. They did have some time. They would be able to get enough sleep for tomorrow even if they decided to stay up a little and chat.

He looked at his grandfather. He thought about waking him up to talk to him as well. He thought better of it. A bad sleep story was no reason to wake up his grandfather. He didn’t want to disturb him from whatever sleep story he might be enjoying right now.

Looking back at his grandma, he nodded his head a couple of times. “Y-Yeah... I don’t think I can get back to sleep just yet.”

His grandma nodded in understanding. She lowered her head and gently nuzzled him. “It’s okay, Littlefoot. Sometimes, sleep stories can do that, good or bad. They can make you think.”

“Yeah, I noticed.” Littlefoot said. He lowered his neck and pushed his foot against the side of his head. “My head hurts just thinking about it. It was...one really strange sleep story.”

“Go on and tell me all about it, Littlefoot.” His grandmother said in a soothing voice. “I’m all ears.”

“I’m..not even sure where to begin, grandma.” Littlefoot looked up at his grandmother. “I never had a sleep story like this before. I mean, you and grandpa were in it, then this egg, and...”

“I understand, Littlefoot. Take all the time you need.”

Littlefoot did his best to gather up his thoughts. He tried to think about how he was going to explain this to his grandmother. It was one thing to experience the odd sleep story, but it was another to tell it to another living dinosaur. The sleep story was almost...beyond description, and parts of it he feel he was forgetting.

How would he explain this to his grandmother? How could he take a sleep story like that and summarize it in a way that she would understand? Or anyone for that matter? Yet he knew he had to try. This sleep story was going to keep him up all night long unless he talked to someone about it. Even if his grandmother couldn’t explain anything about it to him, he’d feel better at least trying. Then he’d feel more at ease.

“Well you see, grandma...it’s like this...”

The longneck paused for a few seconds. He tried to think in his head exactly what he was going to say. He scrambled through his mind, doing what he could to remember as much of the details as he could. If his grandmother was going to help him make sense of it, then she was going to need as many details as possible. Nothing, not even the smallest detail, should be left out. After all, the smallest thing can yield the biggest results, right?

When he felt as though he was ready, the longneck began to explain his sleep story.

“In the sleep story, I was here..and yet I was not. The land had changed, and everything looked so dark and scary. Even you and grandpa. Then you were talking. You appeared to be talking about me..or maybe you weren’t. I don’t know. I tried calling out to you, but you did not hear me. Then you and grandpa...melted together. Like...your bodies turned into water and you fused together. I’m not sure how to explain it. After that, there was a massive earthquake that broke the land apart, and a sharptooth that appeared to be made of rock appeared and I started to fall. Oh and before that, there was this egg that I had found. It fell with me. I landed on some ledge, but the egg fell into the sharptooth’s mouth and it got crushed. That’s when I woke up.”

His grandmother stared at him with widened eyes. “Oh my...” She lowered her head a little. “You were right, dear. That is some sleep story.”

Littlefoot nodded his head slowly, his gaze facing towards the ground. “I can’t make sense of it. I mean, I don’t even know who you were talking about. I thought it was me but..thinking about it.. Maybe it wasn’t.” He closed his eyes and shook his head. “It might have been someone I don’t know. Maybe my mind just made it up.”

“Sleep stories are often the manifestation of thoughts and feelings. Perhaps whatever you were thinking of during the day has crept into your sleep story and is trying to tell you something. I know it’s hard to understand at first, but if you give it some thought, I’m sure you’ll figure out something.” His grandma said.

“In the sleep story, you and grandpa were talking about things like ëdoes he know’, ëit’s best if we let him have fun’, ëshould we tell him’, things like that.” Littlefoot explained. “And when you were talking, you were darkened. This was before you melded together and stretched like you were some kind of large, flexible treestar. Well not a treestar but...” His voice trailed off for a few seconds. “Anyway, you were talking about someone. Grandma...is there someone whom you and grandpa were keeping information from?”

His grandma stared at him with wide eyes. There was a look of recognition in her eyes, and right then, Littlefoot knew he had hit something. “I... Well that could just be a coincidence.”

“Grandma...” Littlefoot narrowed his eyes. “What is it? What aren’t you telling me?”

His grandma let out a soft sigh. “Well I suppose you deserve to know.” She stared down at him quietly for a few moments. She closed her eyes and turned her head away. Then she tilted her head up, meeting gaze with the night circle. “Those words do sound familiar... They remind me of when your grandpa and I were talking about Bron... your father.”

Littlefoot widened his eyes at this. “My dad...? Wh-What about him?”

Yeah, sorry for the cliffhanger. This is where I got stuck. I'm not sure where to take this. Rhombus was nice enough to give me some idea, but I'm still at a bit of a loss of how to handle this.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm still stuck on how to continue this, but I'd like to ask a question.

The point of me writing this was to try to fill in at least some details of Bron's past, as well as provide closure (since Littlefoot seemed to stop being mad/sad at his father way too quickly). I had done a lot of thinking about how to handle this, and I already have thoughts of how the Bron/Littlefoot interaction will go.

However, with news of LBT14 apparently exploring more of Bron's past, I'm kinda stuck. I don't know if I should proceed with the story as I had planned (whenever I get over the writer's block concerning how to continue) or if I should wait until LBT14 is released and see how they handle it, and incorporate details from that.

What do you guys think?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you feel like writing it now, then write it now. You can always change things later if you want or decide not to. One of my fics also deals with the Bron/Littlefoot interaction in LBT 10 (albeit that is not the main theme of the story) and I won't wait with continuing writing. Well, that is, if I finally get around to  :rolleyes

Inactive, probably forever.