The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Military Traditions in the Great Valley

Serris · 8 · 1193

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte on  
Sometimes it is funny where threads can move. We started out with Ducky and ended up with the question of "military traditions in the Great Valley"

This is a quote from Malte in the Character Discussion section (in a topic about Ducky).

This made got me thinking, how exactly would a military force work in the Land Before Time Universe? Basically the logistics and what dinosaurs wold serve what role.

Admittedly, militarism and Land Before Time is a strange combo but it can be good.

So what are your opinions, thoughts and ideas on an LBT military?

This is for everyone's enjoyment and my fan fiction.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
General Threehorn and his seargeant Cera.  :rolleyes:  Perfectly fitting.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't think it fits, but I would guess Ducky would be perhaps a medic or nurse or something like that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think that most dinosaurs of LBT think in totally different terms than humans do. I suppose there would be (if at all) only very, very vague thoughts of "owning" territory or the like. So long they have enough to eat and drink most dinosaurs will be perfectly happy and if they don't have enough to eat or to drink most of them would think of moving to a different place rather than trying to kill others to have more food for themselves (which would also be a great risk of getting killed or injured themselves). For example none of the Stegosaurs in LBT 8 thought about ousting anyone from the Great Valley to be able to stay there.
There is of course the racism which might if fostered within a secluded group of dinosaurs (threehorns most likely) might cause them to try to rid the place where they want to stay of any other kind.
There is a kind of hierarchy within herds with a herd leader, but unlike in case of many human societies I suppose a dinosaur would always be permitted to leave a herd if he or she is not happy with the leadership. There may be different types of leaders some (like Bron) being made leader because others just trust and follow him; other leaders might be formally elected, and maybe some are just made leader for being the strongest or the like.
My story "Old Threehorns" is pushing the idea of military concepts in LBT about as far as I think it can possibly be pushed, but it took a lot of explanation to keep it hopefully within what would be realistic in an LBT story.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I imagine the only defense strategy the dinosaurs had would be to call all of the healthy adult males to go out and fight, and get the children and females to safety.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ducky could be some kind of alarm system, or a communications expert, since it was possible that the duckbill's hollow crest acted as a noise enhancer.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
They would be fighting the sharpteeth but seriously wouldn't that be bad for little chomper.He would be considered a traitor no matter whose side he join or spied on. He can't really be neutral in that matter.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
But seriously, war for them would be two three horns charging each other like rhinos or flyers fighting like birds.OR like Meerkats do or how lions fight hyenas. Sharpteeth battles or something like that.