The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Christmas Carol

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I suppose you also have no interest in anything by Shakespear or Dickins' other novels then, huh, Dark? And yes, saying that you've seen a classic tale too many times to be interested is a nasty attitude. A Christmas Carol is a timeless story that embodies the very spirit of the next coming Holiday, and each adaptation brings something new to the table. A new twist on an old story, so to speak. As far as I'm concerned, not giving a potentially interesting new rendering of a classic a chance is just wrong
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
^Hey guys, everyone has their own opinion, there is no need to harp on each other because someone has a different view and another person. Just respect each other. :)

Anyhow to get back on topic:
I remember seeing this and REALLY liking it. ^^ The animation was just beautiful, Jim Carrey was AWESOME in his roles. Especially Scrooge. I saw it in 3D too. Just amazing. :D

I could see buying it myself. :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ What Amy says.
One could discuss the question "what could be different about the new version of the movie?", but Kacie has never said anything to suggest that she was stating anything more than her personal view to which everyone is entitled. Let's not misinterpret it as an attempt to convert anyone.

Me personally, I am interested in watching this movie, but it is always rather tricky to find anyone to come along to watch a movie and I hate going to the cinema on my own. I have seen only one movie adaptation of it so far which was really pretty cool and very dark too with regard to the ghosts.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
As a kid I saw a number of different versions, including a short 30 minute cartoon version, one made in the 30's or 40's I think, and others.  This would be in the 70's and 80's.  I preferred the movie versions but am not sure which ones I preferred.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Wrong? Sorry but I disagree with you there. Not wanting to see a movie due to loss of interest isn't wrong. Now trying to make someone see a movie by trying to make them feel as if they've done something wrong by not wanting to see it, now that's something I could consider wrong. Would you like it if someone tried to force you to see a movie you didn't want to see? I would say not.

Anyway let's just drop this and move on with the topic. No sense in arguing about this.

I might consider renting this movie when it comes out, for the family that is. My sisters might be interested in seeing it. I'm not sure though. I never asked them if they wanted to see it.

The movie theatre I go to is getting more expensive. $5.00 at one time I think, then up to $5.50, then to $5.75. Sure not the most expensive place, but still expensive, especially when I could go to a much smaller theatre relatively close by to see a movie for $3 instead. I don't go to the theatres much anymore, even for movies I am interested to see. I usually just wait for them to come out on video.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
You have movie theaters that charge you only 5 bucks for a ticket? Wow your lucky :blink:  
All the theaters I go to in Pennsylvania charge 8 or 9 bucks to see a movie, and then popcorn is at least 4 bucks depending on the size.

You know, it would be smart to price tickets for the more popular movies at a higher price than others. I could have seen New Moon tickets at 8 or 9 bucks, but other movies that are already out and not as popular could at least be dropped down to lets say 5 or 6 bucks. That way people aren't complaining that the movie they are seeing is overpriced.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Dec 5 2009 on  12:35 PM
You have movie theaters that charge you only 5 bucks for a ticket? Wow your lucky :blink:  
All the theaters I go to in Pennsylvania charge 8 or 9 bucks to see a movie, and then popcorn is at least 4 bucks depending on the size.
Well the theatre I tend to go to is relatively small. It's not really big or fancy.

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://youtube.com/BigDealStudios
:lol I'm laughing my fatass off reading the posts of WierdRaptor's and DarkHoumon's war....

Has anyone caught the Back to the Future reference at the end of the film? I have!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The ending more reminded of the ending of the MIckey Christmas Carol. You may need to elaborate more. Also, the director of the Back to the Future films made Christmas Carol.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You know what I hate with this movie?  The reviews of parents that have seen it with their kids.  They saw it and their kids got scared and they are upset about that.  They are mad at Disney for making a scary movie.

If you ask me, the ones they should be mad at are themselves for overlooking some obvious points that would've come in handy.  First off, just because it's Disney doesn't mean it's going to be for kids, despite the fact they have made plenty of kids movies.  Their take on Pirates of the Caribbean is plenty of proof on that.  Second, IT'S PG!!  That rating right there is a warning that kids of a certain age will find it scary and/or disturbing.  Third, it's based off of a dark story and tries to stay true to said dark story.  There was no way kids of a certain age were going to enjoy this.

Let this be a lesson to all parents out there.  Disney =/= for kids.  At least, not always.

Now, what I liked about this movie is how dark it was.  I have read the book myself and this movie is the closest adaptation of the book that I have ever seen.  Jim Carry was given a lot of roles and handled them all quite well.  I admire him for his comedy, but I never expected him to pull off Scrooge so well.  The man is very talented. :)

The animation is just spectacular.  Some say that this type of animation just can't work, but this guy definitely knows what he's doing.  The beginning sequence is done amazingly well.  In fact, all of the scenes are.  Those who say it can't work, just see this movie and you'll be proven wrong.

I may feel like I'm repeating everyone, but this is surely the best adaptation of A Christmas Carol I have ever seen. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I wasn't aware parents were complaining about this movie being scary, but I don't see that as a problem. What about other stuff like Goosebumps and Return to Oz? Both are scary yet they are meant for a younger audience. When did scary automatically mean not for kids?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds to me like some typical folks over reacting to things.

thebigdeal

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://youtube.com/BigDealStudios
Quote from: Kor,Dec 8 2009 on  06:25 AM
Sounds to me like some typical folks over reacting to things.
 :lol

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Dec 7 2009 on  11:59 PM
You know what I hate with this movie?  The reviews of parents that have seen it with their kids.  They saw it and their kids got scared and they are upset about that.  They are mad at Disney for making a scary movie.

What I also love is how earlier Disney movies are not criticized for affecting kids because of the themes in them. Take movies like The Lion King and Bambi. Both movies are Disney and deal with the death of a loved one. The particular scenes where the loved one dies are two of the most depressing scenes in movie history, and as far as I can tell there haven't been too many complaints on how these will affect their kids. And yet today, when a remake of a dark tale comes around, parents automatically hound down Disney's throats because there were some scary parts.

I agree this is just a lot of people overreacting, but it annoys me because then they complete miss the true art in this movie.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LBTFan13,Dec 8 2009 on  03:19 PM
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Dec 7 2009 on  11:59 PM
You know what I hate with this movie?  The reviews of parents that have seen it with their kids.  They saw it and their kids got scared and they are upset about that.  They are mad at Disney for making a scary movie.

What I also love is how earlier Disney movies are not criticized for affecting kids because of the themes in them. Take movies like The Lion King and Bambi. Both movies are Disney and deal with the death of a loved one. The particular scenes where the loved one dies are two of the most depressing scenes in movie history, and as far as I can tell there haven't been too many complaints on how these will affect their kids. And yet today, when a remake of a dark tale comes around, parents automatically hound down Disney's throats because there were some scary parts.

I agree this is just a lot of people overreacting, but it annoys me because then they complete miss the true art in this movie.
 :exactly

These parents push their children to grow up WAY too fast and yet sheild them from a classic dark tale :rolleyes:  :bang.  That's the kind of parenting that messes kids up. It's like letting your seven year-old daughter wear heels and a mini skirt and give her a cell phone, and yet don't allow her to see a PG-rated film :bang.  Then the parents wonder years later how in the hell their daughter, now aged fifteen, got knocked up :!.  It's common sense, folks.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ugh. Seriously? These people took their kids to see a rendering of a Christmas Carol and were surprised when certain things scared the youngsters? Why do I have the feeling these are the same morons who took five year olds to Lord of the Rings?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
This new turn in this topic reminds me of this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main...anItsNotForKids