Beyond the Mysterious Beyond > History Section

50th Anniversary of the Apollo Program

(1/6) > >>

The Chronicler:
Over the next six years, we will be observing the 50th anniversary of the Apollo Program, the series of NASA manned missions that ultimately put astronauts on the surface of the Moon.

I'll be posting in this topic as we reach each major milestone and I'll briefly describe them.

Tomorrow, January 27, marks the 50th anniversary of the tragic fire that claimed the lives of all three astronauts on Apollo 1: Gus Grissom, Edward White, and Roger Chaffee. The investigation that followed led to a series of adjustments and improvements (such as redesigning the hatch, removing flammable materials, and not having the air inside be pure oxygen), but it would be 20 months before the next crewed mission would attempt to liftoff.

ADFan185:
Wow I can't believe it's fifty years already. I remember hearing about this stuff growing up. Good to know that they made some safety changes about the rocket.

DarkWolf91:
I've always been hugely inspired by the Apollo Program and the moon landing. If anyone's interested in a great way to delve into this history, I recommend both watching the documentary "In the Shadow of the Moon," and reading "Failure Is Not an Option," by Gene Kranz. These give excellent accounts from the perspectives of both the astronauts involved and mission control. Such an amazing human achievement :smile

LBT90321:
No kidding
Im watching the 1998 Apollo 13 movie tonight
50 years huh? 1967-2017 I guess
Thats one step for man, One giant leap for mankind
Neil Armstrong 1930-2012

action9000:
Time to load up some Kerbal Space Program!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version