The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Metal Gear Solid Series

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey guys!

I know people on here aren't particularly fond of the PS3, so I opened this topic up to the entire MGS series. Still, I've gotta express my impressions of Hideo Kojima's masterpiece of a game he let loose last week. MGS4: Guns of the Patriots. I've always been a huge fan of the MGS series and the games just got progressively better with each instalment. But MGS4 crown them as the pinnicle. Besides the graphics, the gameplay and all the player interactive stuff, for me, the most impressive feature of this game is the story. I've followed the MGS storyline ever since the first one but MGS4 is clever in that it draws the series to a close but it incorporates every single aspect (and I mean EVERY single aspect) of the Metal Gear universe into the story including MG:Portable Ops for PSP and the very first Metal Gear games from MSX and NES way back in the 80s. I've seen games make good attempts at linking back stories but this game does it the best in my opinion. And it all fits perfectly in relation to the events of MGS4.

Has anyone else had the pleasure of enduring this great work of gaming art? Failing that, anyone else wanna express their views on this series? The floor's open... ;)

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
As I said in the Final Fantasy VI topic, I'm sorry this went so long without a response, but I just now noticed this topic. Just to let you know, I like the PS3 version too, but it was kinda sad to watch. Snake was the best but he had such a miserable time with life now because of his super enhanced aging. He got so old yet he had so much to do. I'd hate to see my grandfather having to fight some girl with tentacle things who is incredibly power who hides from sight then ambushes you fiercly. I didn't see the ending, but he was in such bad shape that I assume he dies in the end and future games are going to be about Raiden, considering how amazing he had become in that game. But about the series in general, here are reasons I love it:

1. I like games where you can use the least amount of violence yet actually have an easier time of winning by doing so. I like stealth a lot more than, "Look! Twenty guys with guns! I have a decent amount of health left and at least twenty bullets myself, so- CHARGE!"

2. The box. You gotta love Snake's magic, ordinary box. "The bad guys are coming. No place to duck and hide in now. Should I fight? No. It'll just alert more of them. What to do... Wait! I just remembered! I always carry an ordinary box big enough to cover me wherever I go. It magically deflects suspicion from almost anyone. How could I forget? All I have to do is hide inside, then when the guards come, they'll say, 'What's this box doing here? Oh well,' then they'll walk away while I stay perfectly safe from the highly intelligent guards who won't look under a mysterious a box that came out of nowhere because it just wasn't suspicious enough to them. Right before I take out their leader, I'm going to call over the loudspeaker, 'I just assassinated your boss. How did I sneak in? Ask the guy who walked past the 'unimportant' box that just appeared in front of him a little while ago.'" Honestly, I am not making fun of the game in any way. I love it when that happens. It's always funny enough to make me laugh whenever the guards don't suspect a box lying around and decide to ignore it which is why I end up getting their leader in the end. How much are they getting paid? And the loudspeaker thing is just something I fantasize about him doing since it would make the scene that much more humorous.

3. I liked the rare rating system. Using it either means you are a dedicated player or you just don't care about your system. You are rated based of how many times you save, meaning no saving, highest scoring. Either you are dedicated enough to beat it in one sitting to get that rating or still want that rating but your sleep more so you just leave your system on for days until it overheats. But at least you got the best rank, right? If you are too busy to sit around for hours to beat it right then, try waiting until you're not. You're system will like you more.

4. The gadgets are so amazing. But my favorite was on the newest game. I don't remember what it's called, something like snake eye or solid eye or something, but it gives you ultimate scanning power of anything. You can even follow a very old trail to lead you right to the person who made it. If only the noise it gives off doesn't tend to alert the guards so frequently...

Metal Gear Solid is a great series. It was nice to combine first and third person the way they did. Graphics are amazing as well as the story and challenging enemies that take many different strategies to win. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops is my favorite one, but Guns of the Patriots comes right after it for me. Good to meet another MGS fan. Do you like playing as Raiden or Snake better in the series? Just wondering, but you don't have to say. Later!