The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rock Band

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I first played this game several days ago with my brothers and their friend; at his house. And I loved it! Talk about the game here.

The Dark Patriot

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I've never tried it myself. It seems somewhat interesting to me (I have GH3 and like it a fair bit), though it'd take up too much space in my apartment...I have no room here...

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I love Rock Band. :p I have it for PS3.

Sure the gameplay is a little cheesy but that's what makes it fun!  One of the best multiplayer games I've come across, yet it's provided me with something to do on my own when I'm just bored but don't want to do anything that requires much brain power. :p

I've gotten pretty good at the guitar, though I'm not a crazy master or anything!:P I've been able to pass every song on Expert except Green Grass and High Tides....oh man, the 2nd solo kills me every time, around 81% through the song! *grrrr*  :P:
[EDIT] got to 87% today!  Geez that's a harsh solo!

I wish I had more friends who liked this game...most of my friends think it doesn't really work all that well and that it's kind of boring.  I see where they're coming from, but at the same time, it's good clean fun that brings everyone together! :wow  I enjoy it because of the random fun factor it brings out when people get into it a little.  You have to get into the atmosphere of the game and the social scenario or it's not all that much fun, really.

Only thing is, I'm not a huge fan of some of the songs, but hey, they need to appeal a little to everyone, right? :p  I have a fair number that I enjoy playing. B)

By the way, I suck at drums. :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I made a little video of myelf playing expert guitar on "Inside the Fire" by Disturbed.  I find this a fun song to play; lots of stuff to do on the guitar part, it's great! :P:

This is basically the hardest song I can still play well. :p

I'm sorry for the sound of the lawn mower in the background...:p
http://search3.idrive.com/driveway/jsp/dwa...p?id=l5i0z8w2m5

Oh, and Littlefoot1616?  I was finally able to 5-star Enter Sandman today! :D  Remember me complaining about that one awhile back, when I was chatting with ya on webcam a number of months ago? :p  :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I love Rock Band so much! I download so many songs off of Xbox Live, like Afterlife and The Kill, but I do admit I probably spend too much money buying points to download the songs. I can't help it though!

Whenever I play with my friends, none of them want to sing. I'm sometimes forced to sing just because I'm the only one out of my circle of friends that can sing decently :DD .

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay I can't do that Crazy
You will someday! :D  :lol

Music-based games always come fairly natural to me.  :)
Guitar Hero, Rock Band, Dance Dance Revolution (Dancing Stage in Europe), whatever. :p  I'm never insanely "destroy people at tournaments" good but I can seem to pick them up pretty fast and get reasonably good. :lol:
One of the few genres of games I can actually kind of hold my own in, actually. :p

Whenever I play with my friends, none of them want to sing. I'm sometimes forced to sing just because I'm the only one out of my circle of friends that can sing decently .
I actually wish that Rock Band had a keyboard instrument instead of a singer.  The game engine for the vocals is so demanding on a singer to be absolutely perfect that there's no room to really have much fun with it as the singer.  This problem is compounded by the fact that a lot of rock music has really tricky vocals and vocal techniques to try and mimic, moreso than even pop music usually.

A keyboard instrument would have resolved the problem you mention, I think.  I was hoping to see it eventually, but even Rock Band 2, due out in September on the X-Box 360, won't be seeing a keyboard in the forseeable future.  I'm a little disappointed.  There are a few people on the Rock Band forums that were hoping for a keyboard as well.

Oh well, I still enjoy Rock Band.  I just think a digital game doesn't work extremely well for singing.  The vocalist loses so much flexibility and needs to concentrate so much on "fitting to the lines on the screen" that it takes a lot of the fun out.  Even the guitar players can relax while playing more than the vocalist can.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I've played Rock Band for a while now, and while the vocalist does indeed have the hardest part, I feel that once you master a song on EXPERT level it just gets all the more fun after that!

That and I'm the only one of my group of friends who has a decent singing voice...which is kinda funny! :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I feel that once you master a song on EXPERT level it just gets all the more fun after that!
Here's the problem I run into with Rock Band:
Okay, I have the game at my house but I don't have a lot of space.  I also don't have many friends who are interested in playing it with me.  I have enough to get a full band going but we play so rarely together.  

The problem is, they have no way of practicing their parts without the game...and the game is at my house, because I own it.  I don't really have a place to set it all up here though.  

Rock Band lacks a "Band Practice" mode!  When my friends all play together, I'd already been playing a lot on the guitar but everyone else is completely new to it or has only played when we are all together.  When we play as a band, we have to automatically go straight to a "performance" setting; there's no band practice.  This means that a lot of the newbie players have trouble keeping up, even on the easier difficulties.  It also means that those who aren't as musically talented have an extremely steep learning curve to the next difficulty.

Getting everyone to play on Expert, or even Hard...that requires everyone to have a fair amount of time to practice on their own.  Since I'm the only one who owns the game in my group, that's simply impossible for everyone except myself. :(  I don't know anyone who can play on hard, let alone expert.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey, has Anyone here beaten Green Grass and High Tides on Expert guitar? :p I've gotten it to 95% through now but I can't finish it!  Anyone here able to get through it?  :wow
I finally figured out how to nail the two runs around 81% to 87% which used to kill me.  Now I keep dying at the very end! Grrrr! :p

I don't suppose there are any PS3 owners here who have Rock Band?  We could start an online band if there's anyone out there up for it! :)

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm planning on getting this game for my two younger brothers; they're really into rock music and they play instruments too. One mainly plays the guitar and bass, and the other is awsome on the drum set.

I know they'll love the game. Then I'll have to get another guitar so we can get a full band going!

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Action9000 I do understand where you're coming from, my friend is the only one who owns the game as well, but the thing is, everyone in my RL group of friends each went out and bought either a guitar or drums, or a mike...just so we could practice without the game...

Just learning how to sting your fingers across the buttons takes time and patience to learn.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
but the thing is, everyone in my RL group of friends each went out and bought either a guitar or drums, or a mike...just so we could practice without the game...
oh wow, heh.  Your friends are a lot more dedicated than mine! :p