The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wii Speak

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey gang!

I was on my usual rounds of gamer websites when I came across a rather interesting article on Gamespot.com. Ever wanted to play your Wii games online and be chatting to your pal at the same time? Ever wanted to side-swipe your mate in Mario Kart and laugh at him as he falls off Rainbow Road? Every wanted to hear your friend hiss in pain as you smash him off the screen to win your latest Brawl?

Well...NOW YOU CAN!!! Well, soon anyway... :DD

Nintendo have apparently announced "Wii Speak" which is a custom made unit that allows you and your Wii Console Registered Friends (i.e. registered to YOUR console) to speak to each other through a downloadable channel from the Wii Shop Channel! So far, the only named game it is to work for is the upcoming Animal Crossing title for Wii due out soon. Release dates for this new pherphial is (according to Gamespot):

16th November (US) - approx $30
5th December (UK & Europe) - approx £32

Nintendo apparently, initially didn't want to have voice chats going over their online servers because they didn't want the trouble with abuse, swearing and cyber-bullying that normally occurs on the Playstation Network and 360's online services. I think they're trying to protect themselves, whilst permitting it, by only allowing friends who have swapped each other's Wii console codes to enable chats with each other.

Either way it sounds great! Here's the article I found from Gamespot if you wanna check it out for yourselves:

Gamespot: Wii Speak Announcement

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sounds cool. I don't have a wii but I'm sure this is an improvement. :)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
First... I gonna Brawl online... Would LOVE to Brawl you guys here! Yep, that's a challange! :wow  
Then I'm gonna get my hands on this thing!
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i think The Conduit (an FPS game thats coming out in 2009, and looks amazing) is going to utilize Wii Speak as well, but im not sure. ign.com has a lot of coverage on the game, i'll try and get a suitable link.

Explorer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://gatewayisland.proboards.com
Its a great idea to make a brawl between the members who have brawl! Many forums have done it by now!

Thing is, I won't be entering...

But the comunication on the game seems something really great! :yes

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm looking forward to Wii Speak. Now I can chat with all my pals who own a Wii, including Littlefoot1616 and Keni; of course, the only game that'll work with it for now is Animal Crossing. I hope other Wii software will utilize it.