The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Questions to Malte

Malte279 · 230 · 20902

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
@ Caustizer. Well, truth to be told I am not really into stories that mix LBT and non-LBT elements.

@ Rat_lady7. Absolutely not! I am quite fond of having a not so frequent name. I am willing to take into account that hardly any native English speaker can pronounce it ;)
I admit I wouldn't like having the same name as many people around me (which in case of some names is a lot more likely than in case of the name Malte).

@ Cancerian Tiger. Oh dear, me and picking favorites :confused
There are of course many dishes which I really like but it is hard to decide a one and only favorite one. One dish which I really like and which is done on celebration occasions only in our family (like Christmas or New Year) would be fondue. I am not entirely sure if it is the food (ultimately that comes down to breat and meat boiled in oil along with tasty sauces and salad) or the social part of that dish that makes me love it so much.
One dish which I really loved during my trip to America and which I would really like to eat again (but that seems to be impossible to come by here) was a very delicious wild rice soup along with a salad served in a freshly backed bread bowl. That was just delicious.
I like of course most kinds of pasta and do not depreciate a Pizza either. Sometimes we make something that we call Ragout Fin but that has nothing to do with the Wikipedia article that will come up if you enter the name. What we call Ragout Fin would be a sauce with mushrooms and meat in a puff pastry.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
How DO you pronounce your name, anyway? I always guessed it was pronounced "Mall-tay", but I'm probably way off. :oops

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yes indeed you are :lol:
Thing is that the vowels are pronouced a bit different in German than they are in English (a result of the great vowel shift). If spelled as the sounds would be spelled if spoken to German ears Malte usually is prounced as one of the following by the English speakers:
Molti
Maelti
Molt
But the Japanese too have their problem with the names or at least the one who was also a host to my hostfamily during my exchange in 2002 did. He pronounced me as
Maita
The mail problems are the vowels a and especially e in my name. The a is pronounced relatively short and would be pronounced simmilar to the "u" in the English word "cut" (though perhaps not quite as short). The e is pronounced totally different from the usual English pronunciation. The English "e" (if pronounced as a letter but not necessarily in words) is pronounced as the letter "i" is in Germany. The e in the English article "the" is pronounced similarly but not a 100% identical I think.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Wow...I'm probably going to need to hear your name actually spoken if I'm ever going to learn to pronounce it. :rolleyes (Darn the phonetic limitations of the English alphabet! :p)

What varieties (note plural ;)) of dinosaurs interest you the most?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think I need to record my voice or something to see if I am pronoucing it right, but anyhow on with the questions:

Did you see anything about Obama's Health Plan? If so, what's your opinion about it?

Edit: Also, I remember a topic I made back in '08 that was about pronoucing names. http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...wtopic=3928&hl=

:)

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
How did you like you stay here across the pond during your foreign exchange student program?  Did anything here take you by surprise?

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Sep 21 2009 on  07:05 AM
@ Caustizer. Well, truth to be told I am not really into stories that mix LBT and non-LBT elements.
So your not going to read it?  :cry

I can see where your coming from though, if it's not your prefered reading then that's fine too, but i've tried to make it as cannon as I could in respect to the universe and the characters.  Even some of the more awkward concepts are explained as the story goes on, to leave it remembered as a piece of pure LBT fiction.

From reading some of your posts on other threads I know you're a really good reviewer, so I was hoping for some critical imput on my writing style and portrayal of characters.

Thanks,

Caustizer.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm just going to ask it...

Do you have a YouTube Account?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I admit I am not likely to be able to really enjoy a story that crosses land before time elements with non-LBT elements and because of this I am not likely to be able to say anything really helpful on it :unsure:  
No offense meant Caustizer, none at all.

I have a youtube account which includes a few seconds of movies which I put up there mostly so I could post them on the GOF.

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Out of all the LBT movies and TV shows, which guest character do you like the most?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I am not a person who has an easy time with superlatives when it comes to anything where it is not clearly verifiable that something or someone is the most..., best..., you name it.
Thing is that if one character is named the one and only favorite that would make every single other character "not favorite". So I can say more about individual characters but I cannot come up with a ranking on who is my favorite and who is not. Though I can tell for a fact that Bron would definitely not be on such a list. They just didn't have a plausible story for him so as far as I am concerned he came across as that kind of new character which is just pushed into a series to present something "new" (a habit of moviemakers that was parodied even in a Simpsons episode). I found Pterano and Ali to be quite interesting characters that could well play an important role in another story. Dinah, and Dana, Hyp, Nod, and Mutt (I haven't yet seen the TV episode that includes them), and Mr. Thicknose also could well appear in other stories. These are just examples of course.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Superlatives :lol

Seriously, I very rarely can state something that is "most", "best", "worst", "favorite" etc. thereby making everything else less prominent in that quality or vice. However there are of course some things that are really a red rag to me. Bigotry and racism are certainly among these.

PS: Thank you for the question :)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Embellishing your collection of LBT awards are two images (I'm presuming it's the same image flip-flopped) of what appears to be a cross-section of some kind of fruit or vegetable, the innards of which  happen to form the shape of a tree star. I was just curious about specifically what it is, and about the story behind it (if any).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you for the question :)
It is not a fruit or vegetable, but my personal seal. I think there may be a thread I posted back when I made it, but I failed to find it. Here is a larger image of the seal.

I engraved it on a brass stamp. Having no experience with engraving and very improper tools at the time the engraving is a bit shaky and I deliberately didn't try to engrave any additional structure to the treestar for fear of messing it up beyond all recognition.
The seal shows a treestar with a droplet of water in its center that mirrors a helmet. The name Malte is from the Danish or old high German and can be translated either as "He who rules with the helmet" (hence the one in the seal) or as "Adviser of the people's council". While I would rather be the adviser of the council than the ruler with the helmet I didn't see how that one could be captured on that tiny droplet of water and after all a helmet is protecting rather than destroying, so I can live with that (and after all my avatar also plays with the helmet meaning of my name) :lol
I use that seal on most of the letters I am sending out to some LBT fans with birthday congratulations and the like.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^ Whoops. :oops From the resolution of the image in your signature, I swear it looked like one of the fruit diagrams I studied in Plant Systematics. (It doesn't help that I and some other members of my family have a fascination with unusual shapes in food. :p) Anyway, that's fascinating. A great design for a seal. :yes

Speaking of helmets, historical question: I had read that Vikings did not, in fact, wear horns on their  helmets, as is often depicted in popular culture. Do you know anything about actual historical horned helmets, and how the image came to be associated with Vikings?