The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Father's Love

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Hey guys, heres something to make up for my absence in Under a Yellow Moon. Sorry about that. :/

----------------------------------

On a foggy, cold Christmas Eve, thirty three year old Devon was celebrating it with his wife, Meg, and his two daughters, Lunesta and Skyfire, just like almost every one in the Great Valley was doing. They were just having a good time, having snowfights and decorating their "Christmas Tree". Devon wrapped his arms around his wife, giving her a kiss to the neck. "This is the best Christmas yet, honey." he said, tightening his embrace on her.

"I'm glad you like it, Vonny." She replied, turning around to kiss him on the beak. "I'm so glad I found you." she said, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Same here, Darling." Devon smiled, kissing her back. But the sweet, romantic moment was interrupted by another female flyer. She landed in the cave, collapsing to her knees. She was purple and elderly, and she was breathing heavily as if she flew for miles. "D-Devon! I'm so glad I found you!" Haylie panted, crawling towards the younger flyer. She clutched to him, gazing right up into his eyes.

"Mom? What is it? Are you okay?" he asked, kneeling down in front of her.
"It's your father! We were taking our annual Christmas stroll when we were ambushed. Pterano tried to fight back, but he was too sick to do so! He needs your help!"

"What?" Devon asked, in a completely shocked voice. "Ambushed? Sick? Daddy?" Right here, his voice went from shocked, to very worried. He turned to Haylie. "Where is he?"

"In the woods," she replied, still panting heavily, although calming down now.
Devon needed no further explanation. He took off to the skies, flying at his top speed to find his beloved father. Minutes seemed like hours as he couldn't spot the old flyer anywhere. It seemed that the snow had covered him up, so he had fly to a lower altitude. He eventually did find his father though. But he didn't look so good.

He was laying there, legs smothered by the snow. He was laying on his belly, showing the many scratch marks on his back. They weren't as deep as way back when Sierra nearly pounded him to death by a rock. But they were still pretty deep. His eye was as purple as Haylie, and blood spreaded on the snowy ground, indicating that Pterano was coughing out blood.

Devon was on the verge of panic, and his eyes went wide. "DAAAAAAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He screamed out, rushing to his father's side. He took the old flyer in his arms, turning him over as he did so. Scratches and bruises covered his chest and belly as well. "Oh no! Oh Dad..." he whispered, pressing his forehead against Pterano's for a second. "I'm so sorry." Until he heard a quiet, painful moan from Pterano's beak.

Devon stood up now, taking his father onto his back. He was heavy, but Devon could handle it. He took off into the skies, although he struggled a little at first, but once he was in the air, he immediately took off for the cave.

Lets just say a few hours later and silence filled the cave. Devon sat by Pterano's side, placing a giant treestar like blanket on the unconscious flyer. His heart ached just by looking at Pterano. Seeing him like this just hurt him too much. It was like an emotional stab in the heart. He tore off a piece from the treestar blanket and pressed it on Pterano's forehead.

By now, Pterano opened his eyes half way, his vision being blurr. All he saw was a black figure above him. He blinked a few times and that black figure turned out to be Devon. He let out a few breaths, groaning in pain as he did so. "Devon?" he muttered, only to be cut off by a hand to the beak.

"Shh, don't speak, Dad." Devon said, concern filling his eyes. "You're in too much pain as it is. Just take it easy, okay?" He cupped Pterano's cheek, comforting him.
The red flyer nodded, sniffing a little. Either it was from the tears of happiness of seeing his son again, or the cold. "Where's Haylie?" he asked, getting concerned, hoping that his wife made it to safety in time.

"I'm right here, Ronnie." the female flyer replied, taking his hand. Pterano let out a sigh of relief and he gazed around. Everyone was surrounding him; Meg, Lunesta, Skyfire, Devon, and of course Haylie. He closed his eyes, slipping back into unconsciousness, and Devon couldn't take it anymore. Tears sprung out of his eyes. As relieved as he was when his beloved father managed to open his eyes, it still hurt greatly to see him in such poor conditions. So ill, so hurt, so miserable. Devon couldn't take it. He loved Pterano too much! He burst out crying, sobbing uncontrollably onto Pterano's chest.

"Oh Devon..." Meg said, placing a hand on his shoulder. She couldn't think of anything else to say or do. She knew how close he and Pterano was. And she knew what it was like to see a loved one so ill. All he could think of to do was to pat his shoulder.

About five to ten minutes pass by and Pterano opens his eyes to see his baby boy sobbing his heart out onto his chest. "Devon? Oh Devon!" he shot up, pulling Devon into a fatherly embrace. "Shhh I'm here...I'm here...shhh..." Words couldn't describe just how comforting those words were to Devon. He didn't even fight the embrace, he just clutched to the ill flyer, not giving a yap if the illness was contagious or not.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry! It's just, I can't lose you! I love you too much!" Devon sobbed, clutching tighter to the older flyer as if he was clutching for dear life. "I'm so sorry!"

"Devon, there's nothing to be sorry for. Absolutely nothing!" Pterano cupped his cheek, wiping away his tears. He pressed his forehead against Devon's, nuzzling him. "There's nothing wrong with crying. Illness is very scary, especially if its a fatal one."  

"Why didn't I notice it sooner?" Devon whimpered.

"Devon, don't you dare tell me you're blaming yourself for something you cannot control. This was never your fault in the first place. You didn't ask for me to get sick."

"How long have you been sick?" the blue flyer asked, staring at him with red and serious eyes.

Pterano sighed, and he knew he couldn't lie to his son. "A month," he spat out silently.

"A month?" Devon's eyes widened, and then more tears began to fall. "Gee that's reassuring. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I didn't want to be a burden." Pterano replied, gazing into his eyes yet again. "I knew you had a family to take care of, the last thing you needed was to take care of me."

Devon pressed his forehead against Pterano's, wrapping his arms around his neck. "Dad, you could never be a burden to me. Ever! Not after all you've done for me. You're my father, and that makes you a part of my family too." He kissed his cheek to prove his point. "I know I must sound pushy, but next time, please, just tell me! And I'll do everything I can to take care of you! I'd be more than happy to! Besides, I love you way too much to see you suffer like this. It hurts! It really REALLY hurts!!! Please, just tell me if your sick or hurt, and I'll do anything! Just please promise me you'll do that from now on!"

"Of course, Devon. Of course." Pterano replied, pulling Devon back into that strong, protective embrace of his. "You'll never be left in the dark like that again, I promise."

"I love you, Dad!" Devon cried, nuzzling his father's loving shoulder.

"I love you too, my son. I'll always love you, no matter what happens." Pterano squeezed the blue flyer, letting out tears of joy. They nuzzled eachother's cheeks, tears mixing into tiny puddles of love. They fell back onto the cavern floor, embracing, snuggling, and sinking deeply into eachother.

-----------------------

I know, I know. How did the dinosaurs know about Christmas back then, but hey, this oneshot is just...DAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!! PTERANO AND DEVON REALLY LOVE EACHOTHER!!!  :wub  :wub  :wub  :wub  :wub  :wub

Oh and yeah, this takes place like years into the future. Devon is thirty three, Pterano is seventy five.
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
AWWWH! That was very very nice (and suspenseful, too, especially the part where Pterano was coughing out blood. :(  I'm so glad he survived, though. and I LOVED the part at the very end where they nuzzled and hugged each other.  :D Awwh!  Pterano and Devon are inseperable..no matter how old they are.. GOOD JOB, TFM!   :wub AWWH! I love Pterano and Devon. :) Such a wonderful, loving father and son.

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, this was really touching. :)

But I'm more interested those two stories your still writing (Pterano's Metamorphosis and Under a Yellow Nugget :p). When are those coming?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Thanks Vonbob.

Under a Yellow Moon- I'll be working on more of it today.

Pterano's Metamorphosis-Whoa! People are still interested in that story? :blink:  :lol
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol