The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Land Before Time fanfiction characters

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Here's a list of new Flattooth character's for The Land Before Time:
  • Dr. Alan Grant = A Triceratops named Littlerock (the Great) who is leader of the Flattooth Herd Defenders.
  • Dr. Ian Malcolm = A Protoceratops named Proto who is a Flattooth Herd Defender.
  • Dr. Ellie Sattler = A Notoceratops named Nata who the Flattooth Herd Defender's assistant.
  • Billy Brennan = A Montanoceratops named Tano who is a Graduate Student.
  • Dr. Sarah Harding = A Pteranodon named Athene who is a Graduate Student.
  • Eddie Carr = A Ankylosaurus named Spear is a Field Expert for the Flattooth Herd Defender's.
  • Nick Van Owen = A Monoclonius named Cloni is a Surveyor for the Flattooth Herd Defender's.
  • Dieter Stark = A Amargasaurus named Marg who is a Flattooth Herd Defender (teacher).
  • Ajay Sidhu = An Torosaurus dinosaur named Toro who is a Flattooth Herd Defender.
  • Dr. Robert Burke = A Pachyrhinosaurus dinosaur named Hino who is a Flattooth Herd Defender (teacher).
  • Robert Muldoon = A Arrhinoceratops named Rhin who is a Flattooth Herd Defender.
  • Roland Tembo = A Torosaurus named Rus who is a Flattooth Herd Defender.
  • Carter = A Lesothosaurus named Les who is a beginer Flattooth Herd Defender.
  • Ben Hildebrand = A Leptoceratops named Ato who works for the Flattooth Herd Defender's, but looks after the children who's parents have been the victims of Sharptooth Attack.
  • Enrique Cardoso = A Saurolophus named Hayden who works for the Flattooth Herd Defender's, as a scout.
  • Dennis Nedry = A Stegasaurus named Tega who is the head guard for the Flattooth Herd Defender's.
  • Donald Gennaro = A Camptosaurus named Ampto who works for the Flattooth Herd Defender's, but looks after the children who's parents have been the victims of Sharptooth Attack.
  • Charlie Degler = A mixed dinosaur named Charlie who is the son of Littlerock (the Great), and Nata.
What do you think?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I think that it sound about as unlike LBT as it can get. The rank of Dr. in LBT, "Sharptooth Hunters" etc. you are in a world totally different from LBT.

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Really,  what is all of this stuff? :huh:
Is for a fanfiction or what?
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace,Apr 11 2009 on  10:35 PM
The idea may or may not work.
Those characters will be in Movies 18-20.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
No offense pal but this all sounds completely un-LBT. Why would LBT include ANY of these things given what has already been created and stamped as the norm? This doesn't sound like LBT at all :unsure:

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 12 2009 on  12:15 AM
Dinosaurs do not have names like that.
What do you think would be better names for them?
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Apr 12 2009 on  04:54 AM
No offense pal but this all sounds completely un-LBT. Why would LBT include ANY of these things given what has already been created and stamped as the norm? This doesn't sound like LBT at all :unsure:
Then what would probably make it sound LBT?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Dinosaurs in LBT generally have names related to their species name or to their appearance or even behavior. Not always true, but this is usually the norm. For example:

Cera=comes from Triceratops
Doc=comes from Diplodocus
Ducky=comes from the fact that she's a "duckbill" dinosaur
Pterano=comes from Pteranodon
Spike=comes from "spiketail"
Bron=comes from Brontosaurus
Chomper=comes from his chomping habits
Ruby=comes from the color of her skin

We usually don't see a dinosaur with more than one named assigned to them. And the only titles that have been assigned to dinosaurs, far as I know, is "mr" and "mrs", though maybe "ms" has been used. Dr has never been used in any LBT movies far as I know. I doubt they even have doctors in the LBT world.

Here are names for some of the dinosaurs you listed that would feel more LBT-like:

Montanoceratops: Tano
Amargasaurus: Marg
Protoceratops: Proto
Monoclonius: Cloni

Each of the names is derived from the species' name. But as I said earlier, the names could be derived other ways, like if the Armagasaurus were bright red in color, perhaps the name could be Rose or Crimson.

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
If this is about anthro dinos, the names work just fine.

If this is a pure LBT based, then the names don't work.

I use species derived names, descriptive names and random names.

Examples from Twilight Valley:

Blue-Scale = blue Allosaurus

Diamondclaw = Allosaurus with crystalline claws that are literally as hard as diamond.

Rytho = derived from Corythosaurus

Austro = derived from Austroraptor

Coatal = derived from Quetzalcoatlus

Procella = Latin word meaning "storm". This character is very aggressive and violent (much like a storm).

Hasta = Latin word meaning "spear". This character is a Stegosaurus and the name references the spikes on his tail and the militaristic character o

Theta = Greek letter. Just a random name I chose because it sounded cool.

In general, just play with the species names until you get a name you like.

-------------

I'm fairly certain they don't actually have doctors as we know but some dinosaurs may have an advanced knowledge of medicinal plants like the medicine men or shamans of certain tribes.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Another reason the names won't work is because you basically took character names from Jurassic Park. These specific names that you suggest basically already belong to canon characters in another franchise by Universal. What it looks like is that you are just taking characters from JP and putting them into LBT and changed their species. It doesn't feel like there's really any thought put into the names.

In a fanfiction that doesn't strictly follow LBT, it might work, in an LBT/JP crossover. However, this will never happen as an actual movie. Jurassic Park and Land Before Time are intended for two different audiences. They would not blend well together.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 12 2009 on  02:26 PM
Another reason the names won't work is because you basically took character names from Jurassic Park. These specific names that you suggest basically already belong to canon characters in another franchise by Universal. What it looks like is that you are just taking characters from JP and putting them into LBT and changed their species. It doesn't feel like there's really any thought put into the names.

In a fanfiction that doesn't strictly follow LBT, it might work, in an LBT/JP crossover. However, this will never happen as an actual movie. Jurassic Park and Land Before Time are intended for two different audiences. They would not blend well together.
But it's thanks to you that I can now rename the characters based on there species name or to their appearance or even behavior, Thank You.
Here are new names for these characters here:
  • Alan Grant a Triceratops is now named "Littlerock (the Great)"
  • Billy Brennan a Montanoceratops is now named "Tano"
  • Dieter Stark a Amargasaurus is now named "Marg"
  • Ian Malcolm a Protoceratops is now named "Proto"
  • Nick Van Owen a Monoclonius is now named "Cloni"
  • Eddie Carr a Ankylosaurus is now named "Spear"
  • Sarah Harding a Pteranodon is now named "Athene"
  • Ellie Satler a Notoceratops is now named "Nata"
  • Charlie Degler a Mixed Dinosaur is now named "Charlie"
  • Enrique Cardoso a Saurolophus is now named "Hayden"
Now all I need is new names for these characters here:
  • A Notoceratops named Ellie Sattler who the Flattooth Herd Defender's assistent.
  • A Torosaurus dinosaur named Ajay Sidhu who is a Flattooth Herd Defender.
  • A Pachyrhinosaurus named Robert Burke who is a Flattooth Herd Defender (teacher).
  • A Arrhinoceratops named Robert Muldoon who is a Flattooth Herd Defender.
  • A Torosaurus named Roland Tembo who is a Flattooth Herd Defender.
  • A Lesothosaurus named Carter who is a beginer Flattooth Herd Defender.
  • A Leptoceratops named Ben Hildebrand who works for the Flattooth Herd Defender, but looks after the children who's parents have been the victiums of Sharptooth Attack.
  • A Stegasaurus named Dennis Nedry who is the head guard for the Sharptooth Hunter's.
  • A Camptosaurus named Donald Gennaro who works for the Sharptooth Hunter's, but looks after the children who's parents have been the victims of Sharptooth Attack.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There is another thing very unlike LBT about the setting so far, namely the fact that the characters seem to have "professions". Almost all of them are described as "sharptooth hunters". However, the way of thinking and acting of LBT characters differs very much from that of humans. There aren't really any assigned professions in LBT. There are leaders of herds and some dinsoaurs seem to have made it their task to tell stories or educate the young ones occasionally, but it is nowhere near a humans working life. Also the planteaters of LBT don't have any reason whatsoever to hunt sharpteeth. All they would want is enough to eat and to drink and being left alone by sharpteeth. It also seems to me that sharpteeth are mostly considered a fact of life rather than something to hate and persecute (a view supported mostly by the original movie and the early sequels, not quite as much by some of the later ones). While theay are safe with enough to eat and to drink there is no reason whatsoever for leafeaters to go after sharpteeth. One might perhaps construct some kind of revenge plot, but I think this is not a good basis for an LBT story. In any case it would require the main characters to be rather hate- and vengeful.
Your list of characters is a very, very long one too. Add the original LBT characters to it and the list will be even significantly longer. Do you have a plot which allows for every character to get some spotlight or are some to remain largely anonymous?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 13 2009 on  05:17 AM
Also the planteaters of LBT don't have any reason whatsoever to hunt sharpteeth. All they would want is enough to eat and to drink and being left alone by sharpteeth. It also seems to me that sharpteeth are mostly considered a fact of life rather than something to hate and persecute (a view supported mostly by the original movie and the early sequels, not quite as much by some of the later ones). While theay are safe with enough to eat and to drink there is no reason whatsoever for leafeaters to go after sharpteeth. One might perhaps construct some kind of revenge plot, but I think this is not a good basis for an LBT story. In any case it would require the main characters to be rather hate- and vengeful.
Yeah, I forgot about this. But I agree as well. There is never any indication in LBT that the leaf-eaters want to "hunt" sharpteeth. The only time we see them fight sharpteeth is to either defend themselves or another dinosaur. Only the sharpteeth would activately hunt other dinosaurs and this is just to satisfy their primal needs (eating meat since they can't eat plants), not an act of personal vengeance.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 13 2009 on  08:18 AM
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 13 2009 on  05:17 AM
Also the planteaters of LBT don't have any reason whatsoever to hunt sharpteeth. All they would want is enough to eat and to drink and being left alone by sharpteeth. It also seems to me that sharpteeth are mostly considered a fact of life rather than something to hate and persecute (a view supported mostly by the original movie and the early sequels, not quite as much by some of the later ones). While theay are safe with enough to eat and to drink there is no reason whatsoever for leafeaters to go after sharpteeth. One might perhaps construct some kind of revenge plot, but I think this is not a good basis for an LBT story. In any case it would require the main characters to be rather hate- and vengeful.
Yeah, I forgot about this. But I agree as well. There is never any indication in LBT that the leaf-eaters want to "hunt" sharpteeth. The only time we see them fight sharpteeth is to either defend themselves or another dinosaur. Only the sharpteeth would activately hunt other dinosaurs and this is just to satisfy their primal needs (eating meat since they can't eat plants), not an act of personal vengeance.
But the Sharptooth hunters are like Doc, and he's one of them, but he works alone, instead in a team.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Doc isn't a sharptooth hunter. He doesn't actively seeks out sharpteeth; he only fights them if someone is in danger or if he's being threatened by them, as far as I know. I never seen any real indication that he actively seeks out and attacks/kills sharpteeth who aren't even hunting/threatening anyone.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 13 2009 on  11:32 AM
Doc isn't a sharptooth hunter. He doesn't actively seeks out sharpteeth; he only fights them if someone is in danger or if he's being threatened by them, as far as I know. I never seen any real indication that he actively seeks out and attacks/kills sharpteeth who aren't even hunting/threatening anyone.
So do you think I should change the phrase "Sharptooth Hunter" into something else? Like a name for a group of dinosaurs who only fight Sharpteeth if someone is in danger or if there being threatened by the Sharpteeth themselves?

Myrkin

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Maybe "Flattooth Defenders" would be good. ;)
Pessimist sees a dark tunnel. Optimist sees a light in the tunnel. Realist sees the light of coming train. And a driver sees three idiots standing on the track.

"My heart has joined the thousand, for my friend stopped running today." - Watership Down by Richard Adams.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Myrkin gave me a suggestion how about instead of the phrase "Sharptooth Hunter," it would be "Flattooth Defenders :wub: ." What do you think?