The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

MarioKart Wii!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With Super Smash Bros. Brawl finally out, the next game Nintendo plans to bring out this year is MarioKart Wii!

With the latest issue of Nintendo Power having a 10 page spread of the game, I can give you quite the lowdown on what's going on.

Now, I am sure that the first thing on EVERYONE'S mind is how well the Wiimote will work and if there are alternatives. Well, let me start off by saying that Nintendo is working hard to ensuring that the basic turn control isn't as sensitive as it has been in past racing games. (ExciteTruck is a fine example of just how sensitive it was.) In an attempt to make it easier, MarioKart Wii will come with the Wii Wheel periphial. NP states that this combination makes it and so that it's more like driving a real car. They also state that it's not difficult, just different and takes some getting used to. As for alternatives, MarioKart Wii is being made to host all 4 controllers. So, if you find the Wii Wheel too hard, you can always go with Wiimote + Nunchuck, Classic Controller or GameCube Controller.

Now with that out of the way, let's get to the finer details. The next question I'm sure people will ask is, "What makes this one different from the others?"

Well, MarioKart Wii is going back to one charcter per kart. However, it's not just karts that will be in this game. Each of the 18 charcters (12 to start and 6 to unlock.) has not only their own kart to choose from, but you can also go with a muscle car (which you see in many games like the Froza or Crusin' series.) or mortorcycle. Each works in different ways and has their own individual uses. With the muscle car, you can perform mid-air tricks that can give you a boost when performed correctly. As for the mortorcycle, you can pull off wheelies to move faster than the other vechiles. However, to balance out the cheap speed a motorcycle pulls off when doing a wheelie, it is more difficult to turn when performing such a trick.

Not only are there 3 different vechiles to choose from, but ALL 12 charcters that are at the start will participate at the same time. This means 12 different places you could end up in and tons more items to handle at the same time. (Especially on final laps where the track is more than likely littered with hazards to dodge.)

Also, classic courses have been recreated. The old courses have been given graphical 3D upgrades. They even represent a few from DS are presented. Which ones are they? I'll leave that for you to find out.

Also, this game features on-line multiplayer. So you'll be able to challenge your friends across the world.

As with any new MarioKart game, new weapons have been added. Mega Mushroom makes you big, the Pow Block makes ALL other cars come to a complete stop, and the Lightning Cloud makes you speed up before shrinking you. (Though players with good timing can bump another car at just the right moment for someone else to recieve the curse instead.)

The final thing that's different is that this is the game where a new charcter makes their big debute. Try to find it from the list:

Baby Mario
Baby Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Koopa Troopa
Luigi
Mario
Peach
Toad
Waluigi
Wario
Yoshi
+6 Hidden Charcters
+Unlockable Mii

This is all I shall reveal for now. However, I've got to admit that even this amount is alot to take in. Better start getting good at the game because when it comes out, get ready for racing against the world.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's another one I'm looking forward to!
Thanks for the information, Pokeplayer. :D  :wow

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, are me and Action the ONLY ones interested in this?

PLEASE, if you want to talk about it, PLEASE POST!

Oh, and for an update, here's a GT preview vid: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32297.html

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
do they have a 16 race cup like in Double Dash?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
not sure, all i know is that it has 16 original tracks and 16 remade tracks as well as 10 battle stages (5 original and 5 remade, including Skyscraper from N64!), at least i think its 10 in total. This game will also be the first to have online battle mode.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Mar 29 2008 on  11:23 PM
do they have a 16 race cup like in Double Dash?
There is currently no information on that, but I doubt there is.  If you ask me, putting them all together like that was pushing it.  My hands got quite sore after playing just one of those. -_-

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
i played all the mario kart games! wii follows! i hope dry bones is in it! :yes

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Good to see that Ninty is continuing its trends. Seeing as there is no confirmed release for Brawl yet (although most places are saying end of April/start of May), I'd probably be getting Mario Kart Wii to tide me over until Brawl gets here. I'm assuming it's all Wi-Fi enabled so skills can be tested online? I've never owned a Mario Kart game for any system. I loved MK64, wasn't to taken with Double Dash so hopefully MK:Wii will be a happy medium. I've heard MK:wii is due out 11th April in the UK. Are there any other comfirmed dates does anyone know?

Oh yeah...and Yoshi's my weapon of choice ;)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh yeah...and Yoshi's my weapon of choice 
Uh oh, same here! Looks like the rivalry is already starting! :lol

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Mine is Peach (pink is my favorite color) as for the 16 racces, I' liked the idea. you could stager it, by elimiating driver after a certain amount of races. With me, I usually had the thing wrapped up by race 10. Anyone ever get a perfect 160 on that?
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
lets make it a three-way rivalry then shall we?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Nick22,Mar 31 2008 on  01:50 PM
Mine is Peach (pink is my favorite color) as for the 16 racces, I' liked the idea. you could stager it, by elimiating driver after a certain amount of races. With me, I usually had the thing wrapped up by race 10. Anyone ever get a perfect 160 on that?
Hey!  Peach is mine!  You can't have her! :P:

And I actually pulled off the 160 points a few times, but boy is it HARD! (Especially when you don't use the snaking technique.)

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I've heard about snaking but what exactly is snaking?  :unsure:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sky,Apr 1 2008 on  10:14 AM
I've heard about snaking but what exactly is snaking?  :unsure:
You know how to do the Mini-Turbo, right?  Then you're already part-way there.  You just need to use it repeatedly over and over again, with making sure your kart hardly ever slows down, and you'll have acheieved the technique, snaking.

Understand, it takes alot of practice, skill and timing to pull off.  You need to have the patience nessacary to master it. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Ohh, the power-sliding trick where you can abuse it on straightaways....Good, because that was incredibly annoying (not to mention hard on a controller!)

I don't like having to abuse game mechanics just because everyone else does.  The fewer things there are to abuse, generally the happier I am. :p

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Mar 31 2008 on  02:49 PM
Oh yeah...and Yoshi's my weapon of choice
Uh oh, same here! Looks like the rivalry is already starting! :lol
Make that three rivalries :blink:  I think the online play for this game will be a lot more developed than Brawl's with actual rankings and more modes this time around. I am definitely looking forward to this!

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Anyone use to hold tournaaments while playing double Dash? i did, you would picjkk a duo, say mario/Luigi and race them against pair, say Peach/Daisy.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Make that three rivalries  I think the online play for this game will be a lot more developed than Brawl's with actual rankings and more modes this time around. I am definitely looking forward to this!
Actually the count will be up to four then as i already stated a couple posts ago that i also use Yoshi.

snaking has been removed
And for that, i am glad. I hated snaking, especially online on the DS.

Anyone ever get a perfect 160 on that?
Yep, without snaking.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Yay! Landed me my copy of MK:Wii yesterday! Just like it's previous instalments, it's just as much fun. The steering whell pheriphal is cool...a little sensitive to begin with but it's so easy to pick up after a few tracks. I've sent out a few messages via the Wii Message board for friend code invites (as far as I understand, MK:Wii's not due out in the States for another week or so right?). Still, I'll whack my code up in the After Midnight section so when you guys DO get it, just add me on!  ;)

Look forward to racing y'all soon! :^.^: