The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Game Over Man! Game Over!!!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Apr 20 2009 on  10:23 PM
One thing I don't like about many of the first person shooters I play is the fact that your character has no body. In Call of Duty, when you look down, you have no feet, legs, or torso.
A friend of mine has this exact same complaint in regards to FPS. In all honestly, I don't see the big deal. Who is going to aim at their feet anyway? It seems like a waste of processing power just to show the feet or body, things you aren't normally going to want to aim at anyway. Just my opinion.

As for not seeing feet, I heard a theory for why that is. The camera is inside the character, looking through their eyes, so-to-speak, rendering the body invisible (the arm is actually seperate). The feet can't be visible because of where the camera is.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As for not seeing feet, I heard a theory for why that is. The camera is inside the character, looking through their eyes, so-to-speak, rendering the body invisible (the arm is actually seperate). The feet can't be visible because of where the camera is.
Very possible. :)

Another theory I have is that the player doesn't have a body at all..at least according to the player.  It would just be a waste of processing power.  Other players' screens/computers draw the 3d models of you wherever their computers think you are, but there is no need to render and process the physics of a few thousand polygons on your computer if we can get away with an invisible cube that can collide with stuff to fake it. :p

This actually doesn't bother me, either.

Okay, let's see...
Racing games:
1) The trend of so many racing games being an "underground" or "gangster" theme.  What happened to Need For Speed games where you're just a person with a fast car? :p Why does having a fast car automatically require you to be a shady, questionable character nowadays? :p

Other Comments:
1) Level editors that are basically useless.  I quote Smash Bros. Brawl specifically on this one.  There are countless other examples in the past and present as well:
Wii: Boom Blox (the custom levels can't be added to normal gameplay, have no way of declaring a winner, etc),

N64/Dreamcast/PC: RE-Volt (the track editor is so stupidly basic and inflexible it's not even worth using, though this game was from 1999 I believe).

2) Taking perfectly good features out of sequels, rather than just expanding the game.  Again I'm pointing fingers at Smash Bros. Brawl.  Question: Where's Bonus mode?? :p Where are all the cool points from playing the game with style?  That was a cool feature in Melee and was completely removed for an unexplainable reason.  It was how all my friends and I preferred to play SSB; as a result, nobody wants to play Brawl with me! :p

There was a time when putting a "2" after a game's name meant "the same game, made better!": New stuff, better graphics, better controls, you name it.  
Doom
Doom 2

Quake
Quake 2

Unreal Tournament
Unreal Tournament 2004 (aka. 3, technically :p)

Smash Bros.
Smash Bros. Melee (aka. 2)

Nowadays, you never know what the heck you're going to gain and what you're going to lose in a sequel.

Doom 2 -> Doom 3 is like playing a COMPLETELY different game!  Doom 3 does not contain what I liked about the Doom series.  This is the general trend I've been noticing.
Jsut an FYI: Doom 64 was awesome. :p

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Oh gawd...I feel like Viktor Frankenstein! I've made monster out of all of ya!!! I've created a page of gaming haters?!  :blink:  :( Nnnnooooooo!!! *ahem* sorry about that... random outburst :oops :lol

On note with the "seeing a players feet" ploy. It's a methodology that has recently come into play because it is becoming increasely more important to create visibly good looking models. Hence why the camera is literally placed just in front of the model's eyes so you can physically see the body of the avatar you are controlling. With the increase in processing power, it's much more viable to achieve than before.

One thing that does get my goat however, is the number of what I call "brain-dead" games out there. Games that just appeal to the masses for either being ultra-violent and have absolutely no plot or where the story was an after thought. Games that appeal to people who don't wanna think and just wanna blow the crap out of everything with the biggest gun they can find.

Also, as creative as both these mediums are, why is it that game/movie companies insist on making games of movies or movies of games?! Apart from a few exceptions, most of them are just pitiful. Most games of movies are just pathetic tags-ons in an attempt to breathe a little more life into a movie release that's just gonna hit the bargain bin after a month it's hit DVD release.

One more factor that really annoys me. Companies that take a perfectly wonderful working formula and twist it in a modern remake that completely defies what it originally used to be. Golden Axe: Beast Rider is a prime example of this. Everything that made this golden classic of the 90s a smash hit was torn out. And what did they do with it? Removed all but a few familiar faces (beleve me, there weren't very many faces to actually remove), surgecally removed the multiplayer (possibly with a shotgun) and put a bosom-bouncing, half-naked amazonian chick on the back of a organic crotch-rocket in an effort to spill more virtual blood than Dracula could get high on!  :slap I loved the original Golden Axe but this was a travesty in my opinion. Every core element that made his game king of its realm was removed...why I ask you WHY?!  :cry2  :bang

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I can't stand how the physiques of the Mortal Kombat characters are always changing :bang!  I swear, in the latest game where they're up against DC Universe characters, they look like they've gotten extreme lipo procedures done :x!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Taking perfectly good features out of sequels, rather than just expanding the game. Again I'm pointing fingers at Smash Bros. Brawl. Question: Where's Bonus mode?? dino_tongue.gif Where are all the cool points from playing the game with style? That was a cool feature in Melee and was completely removed for an unexplainable reason. It was how all my friends and I preferred to play SSB; as a result, nobody wants to play Brawl with me!
I know how that feels, although its with the new handicap system. Now i know that having extra percentage is a better way of having a handicap system (instead of melee's way), but it was way more fun in melee. The most fun times from melee are when me and 2 of my friends teamed up against one computer (Ganondorf) that had max handicap, while we only had 1 each. It was hilarious trying to see how many lives you could take off the computer before you lose. Heres an example.

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
What I' don't like is how computer players usually get the upper hand over the human players (in some games though).  For instant take Mario Kart Double Dash; you going 54 to 59 mph (150cc Speed) and  :bang you see the computers going pass you going 65+ mph without any speed boost items.  I swear these game programs can get you upset.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You can still beat them, as long as you have items. What I really hate about the Kart gasmes is that when you have a lead of more than 5 seconds you get pelted, one of 3 things one after the other - blue leadertracket, and red shell, and another item, which costs you time..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
  You can still beat them, as long as you have items. What I really hate about the Kart gasmes is that when you have a lead of more than 5 seconds you get pelted, one of 3 things one after the other - blue leadertracket, and red shell, and another item, which costs you time..
ungh, i forgot all about Mario Kart. Its especially bad on the Wii version. I remember playing one of the cups on 150cc. It was the last course of the cup, i got 1st on all the other races, and i was in first on the last lap on the home stretch. Just then i get hit by a blue shell, as soon as i started to accelerate, i got hit by a red shell, and when i started to accelerate again, i got hit by a green shell! ended up finishing 5th on the course, so i had to start the whole cup over so i could get a gold medal and have a 1-3 star rank.  :anger Its like the computers were purposely toying with me until the very end.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll tell you guys one thing I think everyone hates to see in a game:

Seeing your character die in a gruesome way.

The (I guess you could say) the best of the worst are the ones from Dead Space. I mean, if you get killed by a big brute space zombie, he doesn't just whack you and you're dead. He picks you up, bites your head off, then rips your body in half!

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I doubt any player likes seeing their avatar die as it co-integrates with the concept of failure! And no-one plays to fail right?!

But yeah, with the up in graphics, there has definitely been an up in graphical violence  :p Resident Evil 4/5, Dead Space, MadWorld are all prime examples of how to go out in a bloody shower  :blink: There are some instant killers on RE4 I just have to look away from the screen sometimes...makes me cringe  :confused

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
You still should have win first place Flatehead, 5th place gets you 8 points and you have 45 going in, so you should have won with 53 points. The bad part about Wii is that there are no redo options
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot1616,Apr 22 2009 on  01:24 PM
I doubt any player likes seeing their avatar die as it co-integrates with the concept of failure! And no-one plays to fail right?!

But yeah, with the up in graphics, there has definitely been an up in graphical violence  :p Resident Evil 4/5, Dead Space, MadWorld are all prime examples of how to go out in a bloody shower  :blink: There are some instant killers on RE4 I just have to look away from the screen sometimes...makes me cringe  :confused
Beware Jason...
The Garrador's coming to haunt ya!  :wow

I agree. Lately there has been sort of a new trend to make game violence more graphic. I don't know what to say. I don't know if it's "good" or "bad"...
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
You still should have win first place Flatehead, 5th place gets you 8 points and you have 45 going in, so you should have won with 53 points. The bad part about Wii is that there are no redo options
Yea but i wanted to get a good ranking on the cup (E, D, C, B, A, *, **, ***). I wanted to get at least a ** rank so i would have to get 1st on every race.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lillefot,Apr 22 2009 on  02:00 PM
Beware Jason...
The Garrador's coming to haunt ya!  :wow
Not funny dude!  :p  :DD That one freaked me out when it hit me the first time. When the Garrador charges at you claws raised!  :blink: It just looks painful!  :confused That one and when El Gigante grabs you when you dunk one in the lava pit. Didn't expect that one! :wow

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Boy, this reminds me of the time when one of my older cousins was play Indiana Jones on the Xbox when he got to the Crocodile Level got eatin' everytime.

• Spike
    • View Profile
one i hate is when you have used everything that you have collected to beat a opponent only to find out that you were SUPPOSE to loose

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
one i hate is when you have used everything that you have collected to beat a opponent only to find out that you were SUPPOSE to loose

Agreed. Unless there is an option to save right before each boss, I highly dislike fighting an enemy in a game not knowing if I actually can defeat him/her/it or not. That is especially true when items are hard to come by, and you use some, if not all, of them for someone you have no choice but to lose to. Such an example would be the first time fighting Magic Emperor Ghaleon in Lunar: Silver Star Story for the PlayStation. Angel Rings, which are extremely rare (I only found two in the whole game) automatically revive a character when KOed then vanish. Ah, what a waste. He defeats you regardless on your first time versing him.

Things like that should be done in a cutscene. If you know you will lose in such an interactive battle, you won't even try. If you don't know, it is possible to be one angry, lighter player. This has happened to me so many times. Such battles could be better if you get your things back. For example, I wouldn't mind such a battle being a dream sequence, and when you wake up, all your things are back. Or maybe when you lose you are about to actually die in the story and some powerful character that can control time reverts you back to before the battle. If makers like those kinds of fights to be interactable, they should appeal more to players by keeping them from possible losing valuable items during them.

Some bosses come in surprise attacks, so a player could possibly have played for hours only to be surprised by a boss like that. So to reload, a lot of valuable play time is lost. With the continuation of frustrated players at this ill type of event, you have to wonder why they continue. Some games give a better score with less saves, so that is a factor that limits people doing so. I wish there was some way around this without having to consult a guide. Oi.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with that!  Then again, I don't like how scripted and 'orderly' JRPGs are in general so I'm a bit biased. :p

I really don't like how so many games have a great concept going but suffer from various stupid faults that just seem downright pathetic, yet can ruin an otherwise really cool game! :bang  :p

A few examples:

Unreal Tournament 3: Very pretty game and this engine could have been the next big thing in the series.  What did this game do wrong?  Fewer customization options, fewer maps AND fewer game modes out of the box than the previous game, UT 2004.  Fair enough, it's open to being modded, but I shouldn't have to wait until user-made mods are released in order to play the same game modes that were in the old version.  Where's bombing run?? :p

Ack, my mind is full of randomness right now and I can't think of any other examples at the moment!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
One thing which I really dislike with some RPGs is when they permit you too little storage room for the stuff you find. The main example for this is Diablo2 where once you got your chest box stuffed with gems (often lacking the one you need to turn a lot of low quality gems into high quality ones), special items for a collection which you rarely ever get completed, and runes, things are getting really frustrating. I know it is unrealistic when (for example in case of games such as the Gothic series) the character is able to carry an unlimited pile of stuff around with him all the time, but it is just as unrealistic when in Diablo2 a gem takes up no less space in your chest than a suit of armor does.

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: F-14 Ace,Apr 21 2009 on  11:53 AM
One thing that annoyed me about the first Halo game was the fact that there was no mission map.  I would spend up to an hour just trying to find where I was supposed to go.  In the mission where you first encounter the Flood, I kept getting lost because there are several rooms that look the same and no way of telling which one I've already been through.

yes that is annoying, i have the pc version of halo 1. guess what? i fixed up that problem ^^ i modded the HUD so it has an arrow that points to where you go, it works great!!! but it glitches up when your driving in the last level.....
facebook.com/venomwargreymon