The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Problem that Could Kill the 3DS

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I found a little something that could possibly hurt the 3DS.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE7020UL20110103

This is definitely not good.

Furthermore, I have found out that the Release Date Price for the US is as follows.

$249.99

Excuse me while I freak out about how ludicrous it is for a hand-held to be that price.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That does seem a bit much to me, but I'm not sure how much consoles cost, or other sorts of things like the ipad and such so don't know enough to do a price comparison.

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
That's not that bad considering that my PSP cost me around 300$ and only lasted a month. Fragile piece of...Anyway, it's understandable that a new launch system would cost that much. Give it some time and the price should drop.

And as for the kids, my farthest memory goes back to when I was 5. I'm sure kids won't suffer much if they wait a year until they can get their 3DS.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
The price I'm not surprised about. Any new bit of technological kit always hits the shelves with a ridiculous price tag. It's so those fanatical about it will go to any length to land it no matter the price. As with anything like this, wait a while and once the initial rush dies down and shops can't get rid of them, they'll drop the price. When the DS came out in the UK it was close to £200 for just the machine (more in some areas). I waited a while (granted it was a year or two) but I got mine for £110 with 2 games. If you play the waiting game, prices will always come down provided you don't hit the busy periods (i.e Xmas et al.)

As for the health warning, same stuff that's lamped on all games. Exercise moderation and I doubt anything serious will ensue. If you're gonna glue your eyeballs to the bloody thing for hours on end then you're asking for trouble. It's the same old PC bollox that overrides common sense. Play sensibly and I'm sure there's nothing to fear.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
If i remember correctly, the play station 3 cost about $600 on it's release. But im still gettin' a 3DS on launch day.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
The 3DS sounds kind of lame to me. I mean, I can't say it's bad, because I've never actually tried it and seen it for myself, but to me the whole point of 3D is to be immersed in the experience and feel like you're actually there. With something as tiny as a handheld, it kind of defeats the purpose. I buy handhelds so I can bring them with me on trips and around the house and such and play games wherever I go. 3D, to me, sounds like a feature that is just randomly and pointlessly there, and IMO doesn't really belong on a handheld. It also seems like it may become more annoying than fun depending on how I'm positioned while playing, and how long I'm playing for.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
I can't really stand 3D either, Littlefoot Fan. To be honest I hate 3D with a passion(I just don't see how it helps make a film more enjoyable). But still, I am looking forward to the 3DS. Mostly because of the Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64 remakes. Oh man! You have no idea how anxious I am for those games! I'm also looking forward to Kingdom Hearts 3D but that won't be for awhile.

The good thing about the 3DS, aside from having a control stick(farewell thumb pains!) is that it you can actually switch from 3D to 2D. Hey, at least Nintendo isn't alienating their audience(not like what they did with the Wii).

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I was exclusively Nintendo until the Wii hit.  For someone that doesn't want to jump around like a nut or use some weirdo controller, it sucked.  Now they make a 3D handheld.  They've just gone down the toilet as far as I'm concerned.  I can't believe this fermented **** came from the same company that made the Super Nintendo and the N64.  R.I.P. Nintendo.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I was exclusively Nintendo until the Wii hit. For someone that doesn't want to jump around like a nut or use some weirdo controller, it sucked. Now they make a 3D handheld. They've just gone down the toilet as far as I'm concerned. I can't believe this fermented **** came from the same company that made the Super Nintendo and the N64. R.I.P. Nintendo.

I am a nintendo fan, too but I still have a Wii. I won't hate or judge this device until I try it. 3D is an old gimmick but regardless, that thing is gonna sell like hotcakes for these kids that don't know what 3D is. Nintendo is gonna find what ever way they can to make moolah.

$249.99

Excuse me while I freak out about how ludicrous it is for a hand-held to be that price

I'm not surprised of the price. It will ultimately depend on how many units will be sold. If it sells very few they will eventually drop the price.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Jan 27 2011 on  11:57 PM
The 3DS sounds kind of lame to me. I mean, I can't say it's bad, because I've never actually tried it and seen it for myself, but to me the whole point of 3D is to be immersed in the experience and feel like you're actually there. With something as tiny as a handheld, it kind of defeats the purpose. I buy handhelds so I can bring them with me on trips and around the house and such and play games wherever I go. 3D, to me, sounds like a feature that is just randomly and pointlessly there, and IMO doesn't really belong on a handheld. It also seems like it may become more annoying than fun depending on how I'm positioned while playing, and how long I'm playing for.
To be honest, 3D was only good when it was first introduced back in the 1950s, and as you said its kind of pointless,this is no difference.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Animeboye,Jan 28 2011 on  02:33 AM
I can't really stand 3D either, Littlefoot Fan. To be honest I hate 3D with a passion(I just don't see how it helps make a film more enjoyable).
It can help make the movie more enjoyable to watch provided they use 3D correctly. There's an article I read that talks about how 3D movies could actually be really good. Here it is: http://www.cracked.com/article_18877_4-rea...ve-to-suck.html

They make some good points.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 28 2011 on  02:40 AM
I was exclusively Nintendo until the Wii hit.  For someone that doesn't want to jump around like a nut or use some weirdo controller, it sucked.  Now they make a 3D handheld.  They've just gone down the toilet as far as I'm concerned.  I can't believe this fermented **** came from the same company that made the Super Nintendo and the N64.  R.I.P. Nintendo.
Well. to be fair. The PS3 and Xbox 360 are following the same path with the PSMove and Kinect, respectively. And the Kinect would arguably make one look more ridiculous, having no controller.

And I'm kinda the reverse of that. Before the Wii, I was exclusively a Sony person. The PS1 and 2 have a much better library of games than the N64 and Gamecube, IMO. But in the Wii-PS3-Xbox 360 era, I think the Wii has the best games, IMO.

And the 3DS isn't going to kill Nintendo. Even if it does bomb (which, let's be honest...that's not likely going to happen), it'll get dropped like the Virtual Boy.

Even if you like the PS3 or Xbox 360 more than the Wii, you have to accept the fact the Wii did the best financially of the 3 main consoles.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I was exclusively Nintendo until the Wii hit. For someone that doesn't want to jump around like a nut or use some weirdo controller, it sucked.
I completely agree with you there. At first, it was an amusing sort of gimmick, now it's just annoying. I play games to play games, not to get a workout.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 28 2011 on  10:13 AM
I can't really stand 3D either, Littlefoot Fan. To be honest I hate 3D with a passion(I just don't see how it helps make a film more enjoyable).
It can help make the movie more enjoyable to watch provided they use 3D correctly. There's an article I read that talks about how 3D movies could actually be really good. Here it is: http://www.cracked.com/article_18877_4-rea...ve-to-suck.html

That was a fantastic article that summed up everything I've been saying about 3d for the last few years.

And, by the way, NEWS FLASH: The 3D can be turned off.  So if it's bugging your eyes, you can just switch it.

Waluigifan

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.waluigi.de
I won't buy the Nintendo 3DS. It just costs way too much, it's Ä100 more expensive than the normal DS. It costs as much as the Nintendo Wii.

I am a fan of Nintendo, but I hope the 3DS will flop like the Virtual Boy. Nintendo just rip their costumers off, because they re-release old games over and over again ("Super Mario All Stars" for Wii, "The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D", "Nintendogs + Cats", "Rayman 3D" etc. etc.). I'm tired of this.

Well, there may be good games for the 3DS launch, and then? I'm sure there won't be good games one or two years after the release.

There are many more disadvantages about the 3DS. The battery service life is only 5 hours, so it is not recommended to use the 3DS for longer journeys. You also can't use the 3D effect in cars or buses, because you have to hold the 3DS completely still to enjoy the 3D effect. So the 3D effect in general is pointless in my opinion, it just increases the price.

I'm sure I'll buy Nintendo's new console, but I'll never buy the 3DS.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 28 2011 on  10:13 AM

Alright. Well here's my reasons as to why I can't stand 3D:

1. It hurts my eyes. I saw Avatar in 3D with my friend and his dad for my 19th birthday and my eyes were ACHING on the ride back from the movie.

2.The images look like cardboard cutouts in front of the screen. Yeah. Even Avatar's.

3. The price for a 3D ticket is ridiculous.  Why do the tickets need to be twelve to fourteen dollars?? I've bought video games that were cheaper than those tickets.

4. It adds NOTHING. NOTHING to the movie. If ever 3D is able to make the story better or the actors more believable then yeah, then it'll be interesting. Until then, I just see it as a gimmick and a fad. It's here now but it won't be for long. Hell, people seem to be tiring of 3D already.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
All this backlash against Nintendo is making me want to buy a 3DS.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Truttle

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Me too. Heck, I'll buy it just to spite everyone!

But seriously, I think it looks awesome from what I've seen. The game line-up has already got me hooked. I eagerly anticipate it's release. I will reserve one to buy.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Thanks. Seriously, all the Nintendo bashing on this thread is ridiculous. You'd think the invention of the 3DS was gunning down loved ones or something the way these guys are acting.

Oh yeah, and to the guy who complained about OoT and such being rereleased. Yeah, you've played Ocarina of Time, but has some kid born in 2000 or later who doesn't have access to a N64 or Gamcube? Yeah, actually look beyond your own needs for once
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I really don't understand what's so bad about the 3DS. I haven't looked forward to a new Nintendo release in the longest time but I can tell you that I am insanely anxious to play the 3DS.

And seriously? Somebody's pissed that they're remaking Ocarina of Time? What! Dude, it's the same game, just with improved graphics and Link actually has facial expressions this time.  I've played Ocarina numerous times and have beaten it more times than I care to remember and I can't wait to play Ocarina of Time 3D. It looks great!