The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

How LBT 13 SHOULD'VE Been Done

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, it was concluded by pretty much the whole GOF Community, Various Comments on the Trailer and Multiple Review Sites that LBT 13: The Wisdom of Friends was THE worst Land Before Time Movie Ever!

Sure, graphically, it looks wonderful! (Despite the animated mistakes a number of us have spotted.) But everything else... Ugh! :(

Not even some of the most dedicated fans here enjoyed it, and when the fan doesn't like it, you know it's bad.

So, this topic is to discuss what could have been done to actually make it good and possibly give the franchise the chance to work out another sequel or two.

I'll start, but I must warn you that you won't like what I've got in mind.

I think for starters, it should have started as it normally did.  With Littlefoot and Grandma Longneck enjoying their meal.  Even with the part where Littlefoot goes onto that fallen tree and Grandma saves him after he falls off.  Now, here's where things change in MY version of it.

Instead of Grandma Longneck surviving, she falls to her doom.  Yes, my version kills her. (I told ya that you wouldn't like it.)

It would bring forth the element that is pretty much taboo from Kids Shows and Kids Movies these days, Death! (Seriously, the only kids stuff you see this on is PBS and Disney.  Writers need to learn something from those guys.) It would also give the title much more sense.  Sure, it might be predictable from here, but it would be good in the end.

From here, the plot totally changes.  Littlefoot goes to Grandpa Longneck with a heavy heart and tells him.  Of course, Grandpa Longneck is heart-broken and tells Littlefoot to go and play with his friends so the old longneck can be alone.

However, he feels so responsible for Grandma's death that he doesn't go to his friends.  Instead, he heads towards The Mysterious Beyond and leaves The Great Valley.

Soon enough, his friends start to wonder where in the world he could be.  They soon head to Littlefoot's Nest and find out exactly what happened.  The four kids then start to search for Littlefoot, searching the entire Great Valley, to no avail.  That's when they figure out that Littlefoot might have headed to The Mysterious Beyond.

Meanwhile, Littlefoot had made it to a small pond.  As he takes a drink to satisfy his thirst, he looks around only to figure out that it is the same pond that they defeated The Original Sharptooth at.  This suddenly brings back the horrible memory of The Death of Littlefoot's Mother. (Here, I imagine the scene being shown just as it was, but in black and white to represent that it was something of the past.)

At this point, Littlefoot blames himself for the death of both his mother and his grandmother.  That it was his fault they are dead.  Now, he doesn't want to return to The Great Valley.

Back in The Great Valley, the Gang of Four find out about the way Littlefoot went (via Random Resident) and head that way out to The Mysterious Beyond.  They soon find fresh tracks of Littlefoot and follow them.

Now to keep this from going long, Littlefoot comes across more familiar places.  The Mountains that Burn, The Area Where Littlefoot & Cera Fought, The Rock that Looks Like a Longneck and so on.  It all tying in to the first movie.

Of course, the Gang also come across the familiar areas and, as they notice them, start to talk about what happened at such areas.  We get to see all of the great scenes as they originally are.  Even the one where The Gang cuddle up together in the footprint.

So yeah, by now you know it's a fan-tribute movie, but it's a good one, regardless.

Eventually, Littlefoot ends up back at the very spot where his mother died.  There, he finds the skeleton of his dead mother.  As he looks upon it, he starts to remember the cruel fight his mother had with Sharptooth.  Bowing his head in great sadness, he starts to leave when suddenly his friends finally catch up to him.

Littlefoot asks what they are doing here, which Cera answers "Looking for you!" As Cera starts lecturing Littlefoot on how he should have never left, Ducky looks at the longneck skeleton, turns to Littlefoot and asks him if it's his mother?  He confirms it is.  Even recalling the exact spot where he saw his mother die right in front of him.

Ducky then asks Littlefoot what his mother was like since he never talked about her.  Littlefoot tells them about the good times he had with her.  He even amazingly recalls the scene where he hatched and saw his mother for the first time.  As he's talking though, he realizes that he is starting to feel better and, just like before, Ducky was the one helping him get through his mother's death.

He's about to tell them this... when a big Sharptooth appears and stomps down on the skeleton of Littlefoot's Mother. (Oh come on!  It's not Land Before Time without a sharptooth.) The gang scatter to get away from the predator.  They soon figure out how to use the terrain to their advantage.  However, this sharptooth actually proves to be a tough one.  Even seeming like a dangerous one as their tricks and traps only slow it down.

They soon end up trapped and at the sharptooth's mercy... when Grandpa Longneck shows up and takes on the sharptooth.  It's a tough battle, but eventually Grandpa knocks the Sharptooth off a tall steep hill.  The Sharptooth survives the fall but walks away since it can't get to the prey anymore.

Grandpa then turns to the gang and asks if they are okay.  They say that they are.  Littlefoot then goes up to Grandpa and apologizes to him for leaving like he did.  Grandpa forgives him and tells him that he shouldn't have left, especially when he had his friends to turn to during this tough time of his.

Littlefoot then has Grandpa Longneck follow him to the one site the old longneck was most likely dreading to see.  The now broken skeleton of Littlefoot's Mother.  Littlefoot confirms it and they pay a final silent tribute to her before leaving home for The Great Valley.

On the way home, Littlefoot has Grandpa Longneck tell the gang what Littlefoot's Mother was like before he was born.  As Grandpa is telling them of his daughter's life, Littlefoot looks at his four friends and realizes just how lucky he is to have friends like them in his life.

The movie would then end and a new song would play as the credits roll.

Yes, there is a major change in this story, but I would enjoy this much more than the monstrosity we got.

So, what about you guys?  What would you have done differently?

Post away! :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
but I must warn you that you won't like what I've got in mind.

In that case I won't read it. Has it got gore/violence in any way that is not necessary in lbt?

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
Quote from: Mumbling,Feb 26 2010 on  02:15 AM
but I must warn you that you won't like what I've got in mind.

In that case I won't read it. Has it got gore/violence in any way that is not necessary in lbt?
From what I've read, no. There is a death, though.

I actually really like this idea. It could work very well as a fan fiction in my opinion. :yes

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I actually see this as a really good idea for a fanfic. Unfortunately, there are two reasons why I don't think this would have worked for a movie:

1. I'm not sure if the producers would knock off Littlefoot's Grandma, mainly because it would be very cruel to Littlefoot. Also, some people would probably get paranoid as this could imply an allusion to the death of the original voice actress for Grandma, partly being the reason why Grandma has a significantly smaller role than Grandpa.

2. I applaud you for taking more risks in the dark mood, but finding his mother's skeleton? That in my opinion is a little much. I think if we the viewers saw the skeleton, we would be more depressed than Littlefoot would be :DD

Overall, it is certainly a much better story than what we are stuck with.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Your story suggestion is mostly (except for the very beginning) a totally different story from LBT 13, so it is more along the lines of general fanfiction. There are some aspects where I am not sure if perhaps things could be done better, especially with regard to Littlefoot's and his grandfather's reactions.
From here, the plot totally changes. Littlefoot goes to Grandpa Longneck with a heavy heart and tells him. Of course, Grandpa Longneck is heart-broken and tells Littlefoot to go and play with his friends so the old longneck can be alone.

However, he feels so responsible for Grandma's death that he doesn't go to his friends. Instead, he heads towards The Mysterious Beyond and leaves The Great Valley.
On Littlefoot's grandpa's part this would be an extreme lack of sensitivity about Littlefoot which doesn't really sum up to his regular attitude and his usual priorities. Granted, the special situation of the death of his wife may cause special reactions but still this is not very likely especially since neither he nor Littlefoot are characters who are likely to seek comfort in solitude.
Littlefoot's reaction too may be excused by the extreme situation, but given Littlefoot's usual sensitivity it is really not very likely that he sould add an additional burden to his grandpa by just leaving like that. Not only does he enhance his sorrows, but it also sounds (begging your pardon) that as soon as he has one of his grandparents "killed off" he does the best thing he can do to imperil the other one by setting out into the most vicious part of the Mysterious Beyond motivated by... the feeling that he was responsible for the perils that caused the death of his mother and grandmother? Given the time the journey through the Mysterious Beyond would take it is also difficult to make it a spontaneous decision one would regret later on.
Moreover the "whose fault" it was question about Littlefoot's mother had already been addressed in the original movie and while I absolutely agree that they are ignoring Littlefoot's mother and her fate way too much in the sequels (in particular when it comes to the relationship between Littlefoot and Chomper) I really don't think such a sudden and lasting upcropping of guilt is very plausible.
Also none of those in the Valley (excepting Littlefoot's grandpa who of all characters would be most likely to be paralyzed by grief) seems to take any action (Petrie's mother for example could scout fly trying to find Littlefoot and all of the other parents are not likely to just let their kids wander of without doing anything about it. Also much of the story would be parted into one rather "silent" part in which nothing happens except for Littlefoot travelling the locations of old by himself without the ability to interact with anybody. The second part would include a lot of dialogue about Littlefoot's mum then, which is interesting but perhaps given the long time that has passed a bit like retelling a seperate story.

One of the stories I am planning also involves the gang's getting past the regions of the first movie, and their motivation would also be a "rescue mission" in case of four members of the gang. The fifth one however would not have gone there on the own accord and (for reasons given in the story) would not be aware where he is or even about the own identity which would create a rather interesting situation when the said character comes across a pair of antagonists from a movie who recognize said character but not vice versa. The story would have had nothing at all to do with LBT 13.

When talking about how LBT 13 should have been done it might be interesting to test if the basic framework (not just the beginning) of the story could still be used but stripped of the stupid elements which would have to be replaced by something better. The most "stupid element" woud of course be the yellowbellies, but would it be impossible to replace them by a group of lost wanderers which are more easy to take serious? I think that something could be worked out there and it might be even easier to correct the second stupid element in LBT 13, namely the harmless sharpteeth. If these two were to be corrected I think a lot could be gained.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Meh, I don't like the idea of Grandma getting whacked :cry.  This is one of the reasons I like LBT as it is.  Since the series is only mildly dark, it balances my love of much darker fandoms, like the "Saw" series.  The skeleton part seems like it would be too much for very young viewers.  I would not want kids to become afraid of death simply 'cuz their sources of entertainment give the impression that everybody dies in very painful, very scary fashions.  They might even become fearful of their grandparents passing if they saw Grandma die in such a manner, unaware that the majority of the elderly pass in their sleep of natural causes.

I think Littlefoot visiting the spot where his mother died would seem much more realistic.  When exposed to the elements, bones only last so long before they become dust.  Also, who can say that no further earthquakes had occured since?  The bones could be lost.  Leaving out Grandma's death and the skeleton of Littlefoot's mother, I think the rest of the story sounds good :yes.  

If there's one thing I may add to this, Pokeplayer: The scene where the Gang find Littlefoot at the site of his mother's death would be a perfect time for Cera to finally apologize to Littlefoot about her insult to his mother, assuming she has never apologized for it yet.  I think this would work well :).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I admit that the concept I had in mind for the story of the gang coming through the regions of the original movie may be a bit sugary about the part that involves reaching the dying ground of Littlefoot's grandmother (here's the diabetic talking) ;)
I imagine Littlefoot would get increasingly uneasy the closer they would get to the place and once they reach the spot where they would get in sight of the place with a few more steps Littlefoot would flatly refuse to do another step. The others (unaware of the meaning of this) would not understand this at all and would insist on going on (which they have to as this is where the trail of the lost member of the group would lead). It would take a while until Littlefoot let's on where his refusal is coming from thereby making the others feel uneasy as well. Finally however Littlefoot would agree to be led past the place by the others while he would keep his eyes closed. When they come within sight of the place sounds of awe from the others however cause Littlefoot to open his eyes.
There would be no bones or other remains of his mother at the place anymore but (here comes the sugar) right amidst the desolate wastelands some grass and flowers have started to grow at the spot where Littlefoot's mother died...
No need for Littlefoot and the others to get into the details about her body serving as a fertilizer to get across the message of Circle of Life and renewal of life here, is there? :angel

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I actually like a lot of those ideas, personally. It's a REALLY nice yank back to the good ol' "feel" that 11 onward abandoned.

I personally, however, would have the aunt Ducky mentioned in my version...and have her be a "Slappy Squirrel" type of character. As for the plot, I have no idea. But I'd defiantly make more than one come back. Pterano, of course (lol) and good ol' one-minute Rooter!

But yours sound pretty darn good. I like Matle's idea of grass and flowers instead of a skeleton, though.

"When we die, we become the grass, and the antelope eat the grass. And so we are all connected in the Great Circle of Life."
Wait, wrong movie.

But it seems like such a much nicer (but scary) way to wrap up the story.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To be fully honest, the whole thing of what happens after Grandma Longneck dies I just made up right on the spot there.  It really was not thought through, so I really didn't expect it to get many good marks.