Beyond the Mysterious Beyond > Computer and Electronics

What operating system are you using

(1/8) > >>

action9000:
I'm mainly just curious to see how many people have switched from Windows 7 at this point. I'm still a happy Windows 7 user myself, as of June 2016. I tried Windows 10 and it went sooo badly that I have little interest in switching until I get a new PC.

landbeforetimelover:
My main master computer runs Windows 7, but every other desktop and laptop that I personally own runs Windows 10.  I keep 7 on my main master because a LOT of old games just refuse to work with Windows 10 or are just way too buggy.  I also love playing games using emulators and original controllers with USB adapters.  It just runs so much smoother on Windows 7 than 10.  

Eventually I'll have to make due with a virtual machine for all my old software, but even stuff from 1995 works PERFECTLY with Windows 7.  So until support of Windows 7 ends, I'll be using it on my main computer.  I predict that Microsoft will be forced to extend support for Windows 7 another 5 years like they had to do with Windows XP.  Way too many businesses still run 7 to just abandon it in less than 4 years.  If they extend support, I'll be rocking Windows 7 until 2025!

@action9000: "Upgrading" to Windows 10 is NEVER a good idea.  When you upgrade an Operating System, a lot of problems can crop up.  Not only right after installation but even months later in some cases.  If you want to upgrade, you absolutely MUST do a clean installation if you want to avoid a lot of headaches.  

Also, even though Microsoft says Windows 10 will work on a Core 2 Duo from 10 years ago, there are a lot of potential driver issues that can crop up.  Generally my recommendation is, if it came with Windows 7, stay on Windows 7.  If it came with Windows 8, back up your stuff and do a clean install of Windows 10.

DarkHououmon:
I've been using Manjaro Linux Openbox Edition for a couple of years now.

action9000:

--- Quote ---@action9000: "Upgrading" to Windows 10 is NEVER a good idea. When you upgrade an Operating System, a lot of problems can crop up. Not only right after installation but even months later in some cases. If you want to upgrade, you absolutely MUST do a clean installation if you want to avoid a lot of headaches.
--- End quote ---
That's a good point; I hadn't thought of that. I just attributed it to having just enough weird stuff in this machine that's just old enough that it didn't line up with what Windows 10 supported.

It might be better now but I have no real reason to attempt the upgrade again to find out. :p When even my SSDs refused to work at full capacity because their associated software (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) didn't work on Win10 without BSODing, I gave up. :p

Littlefoot fan 1990:
On my main computer; I run windows 7; which I have used for a year or two. Although, I keep getting the notification to upgrade to windows 10. I'm content to using windows 7 and have no intention to upgrade unless I have to.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version