The Land Before Time > Land Before Time TV Series (2007)

LBT Series Marathon

(1/14) > >>

Gentle Sharptooth:
Just watched “Cave of Many Voices”

Chomper’s tantrum to stop the water in cave and making it worse was hysterical!

Chomper “you leaf eaters sure take a long time to eat.” I am like Chomper, I eat fast and have to wait on friends and family.

Ducky’s arch of wanting to be big and listened to like Ruby is a great arch.

Saurus Rock cameo! “Big like saurus rock!” Ducky. LBT V: The Secret of Saurus Rock is one of my all time favorite LBT films. I love that they paid homage to it in the first episode. 

Ducky trying to suppress her “no no no, yes yes yes, and yep yep yep,” and talk big is hilarious.

Chompers giddiness over new cave, “look it has no stone teeth.”

Continuity issue, Chomper doesn’t recognize Sharpteeth talk when in V he knew his parent’s roars from the plated sharptooth, “that’s not my daddy or mommy.”

Petrie: And fast biters! (Petrie’s face and eyes, got to get a pic)

Spike uses vine to make large rocks hit Redclaw in head, is Spike a savior?  Spike is really smart, he suggests sealing the cave opening with rock. This is a nice departure from Spike being only fodder and feeder.

The Cave and catacombs is great for tension with Screech and Thud and Redclaw popping up everywhere in a maze of caves. Its reminiscent of Sharptooth in the cave at climax of LBT ORIGINAL.

“Hold them off? Like an appetizer?” -Cera. Cera always has the best wise cracks.

Jurassic Park reference, “Redclaw can’t see us if you are still.” (Chomper). Alan Grant, “don’t move! He (T-Rex) can’t see us if we don’t move.”

Chomper speaks Sharpteeth at last. Redclaw’s perplexed face. Loved it.

Ducky’s powerful Yep Yep Yep Battlecry, it was epic and made her sound like an adult!

Overall a strong episode, well paced, great wise cracks and cultural puns, and best of all a good blend of levity and tension. It never dragged or got too ridiculous. This episode was better than LBT III, XI, XII, and XIII IMHO.

@RainbowFaceProtege

Goldenwind:
I am happy to hear you enjoyed the first episode @Gentle Sharptooth ! :duckyhappy It was a strong start for the show. Though I will say the explanation for Chomper being in the valley was somewhat sudden and easy to miss. XD Also Chomper was at his most awesome when throwing that tantrum. XD He should totally think about trying those moves on fast biters.

Ducky was enjoyable this episode. X) I keep imagining her "Yep! Yep! YEEEEP!" As a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure stand battle cry.  :bestsharptooth

I was suprised to see that reference to Saurus Rock. Happy to see a landmark get recognition!  :)petrie

Also I never noticed the Chomper continuity issue before.  :olittlefoot Though I will say this won't be the last language continuity error when it comes to Chomper.

Any episode with Spike being awesome is a plus in my book.  :SmugSpike

Never saw that line as a reference to Jurassic Park, nice! X)

RainbowFaceProtege:
Thanks for starting this thread, Gentle Sharptooth! To everyone who hadn't heard about this already, Sharptooth and I are rewatching all the TV series episodes and reviewing them here! Here's my response to the episode and to Sharptooth's take on it:

Chomper’s tantrum to stop the water in cave and making it worse was hysterical!

Chomper's tantrum at the start of the episode always made me laugh when I was a kid. I wonder now if that scene is a bit OOC, but I suppose a while has passed since the Gang encountered Chomper on the Mysterious Island. His characterization has gotten more excitable in general going into the TV show, and with that sort of impulsive/overexcited personality being believable for a little kid, I don't object to it.

Chomper “you leaf eaters sure take a long time to eat.” I am like Chomper, I eat fast and have to wait on friends and family.

Actually, Chomper said, "You flatteeth take a long time to eat," which I thought was interesting. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time the term "flatteeth" was used in LBT, and I believe that the other times it appeared in the show also had Chomper being the one to use it. This implies that "flatteeth" is the sharptooth word for "leaf-eaters," a detail I hadn't thought of until very recently, but quite a clever one. It makes sense that sharpteeth would have their own term for species of the opposite diet, and I like that it parallels the leaf-eaters' use of "sharpteeth."

Ducky’s arch of wanting to be big and listened to like Ruby is a great arch.

I thought Ducky had a nice arc in this episode, too. It makes sense, considering that her size has left her basically powerless in many of the other films (though Petrie is small, too, but at least he has wings). Perhaps more often than anyone else in the Gang, Ducky has to count on her friends to rescue her from danger.

Saurus Rock cameo! “Big like saurus rock!” Ducky. LBT V: The Secret of Saurus Rock is one of my all time favorite LBT films. I love that they paid homage to it in the first episode.
I love it when references to previous movies show up in the series, too. :)littlefoot

Chompers giddiness over new cave, “look it has no stone teeth.”
Yeah, Chomper was hopping back and forth, he was so excited. Cutest little sharptooth ever! :chompysmile

Ducky trying to suppress her “no no no, yes yes yes, and yep yep yep,” and talk big is hilarious.

There's just no hiding her Ducky-ness, and it's adorable. :lol

Continuity issue, Chomper doesn’t recognize Sharpteeth talk when in V he knew his parent’s roars from the plated sharptooth, “that’s not my daddy or mommy.”

Hmm, which scene in the episode had this continuity issue? I must've overlooked it.

Petrie: And fast biters! (Petrie’s face and eyes, got to get a pic)

Petrie totally has the best faces! :lol

Spike uses vine to make large rocks hit Redclaw in head, is Spike a savior?  Spike is really smart, he suggests sealing the cave opening with rock. This is a nice departure from Spike being only fodder and feeder.

I noticed how well they used Spike here, too! Much too often in the LBT movies, it seems that his only contribution to the plot is causing the Gang's plans to go awry. It's great to see him actually helping out!

The Cave and catacombs is great for tension with Screech and Thud and Redclaw popping up everywhere in a maze of caves. Its reminiscent of Sharptooth in the cave at climax of LBT ORIGINAL.

I agree, the fast biter chase scene was fun and done pretty well.

“Hold them off? Like an appetizer?” -Cera. Cera always has the best wise cracks.

I pretty much learned sarcasm from Cera when I was younger. :lol
Jurassic Park reference, “Redclaw can’t see us if you are still.” (Chomper). Alan Grant, “don’t move! He (T-Rex) can’t see us if we don’t move.”

Oh my gosh, that is exactly like Jurassic Park!

Chomper speaks Sharpteeth at last. Redclaw’s perplexed face. Loved it.

I love that Chomper's bilingual abilities weren't forgotten in the TV show. :chompysmile Plus, his roaring is always adorable. :lol

Ducky’s powerful Yep Yep Yep Battlecry, it was epic and made her sound like an adult!

Ducky unleashing her "big voice" was awesome! I thought it was believable, too, that such a loud sound would cause the sharpteeth to run away. Even relatively large and fierce wild animals can be frightened by noise.

Although, while we're still talking about the sharpteeth, the one thing I thought was pretty weak about them in this episode was how all the kids literally ran right past their legs at one point without being detected. There's no way the sharpteeth shouldn't have noticed them when they were that close, at least not if you ask me. Couldn't they have done the same scene with the sharpteeth a few yards away, instead?

Overall a strong episode, well paced, great wise cracks and cultural puns, and best of all a good blend of levity and tension. It never dragged or got too ridiculous. This episode was better than LBT III, XI, XII, and XIII IMHO.

Yep, yep, yep--this episode was a very good intro to the TV series and a good addition to LBT in general! (Though I won't go as far as saying it tops XII, as I'm a Guido fan, heh heh! But I probably agree on those other three.) There wasn't anything in there that felt too much like filler. Even the obligatory songs at least moved the story forward. I admit I would prefer far less songs than the amount the TV series felt like they had to shove in every episode, but that Chomper version of "Adventuring" wasn't bad.

Now here's something we haven't talked about yet: Ruby. I thought this episode did a great job introducing her. Her interactions with Chomper and Ducky showed her to be level-headed (staying calm about the flooding in the cave), caring (helping Ducky "talk big"), confident (confronting the domeheads who stole the food), and a bit quirky ("be the tree!"). Definitely a distinct character from the rest of the group, and a good one, too. How did you feel about her?

Gentle Sharptooth:
Chomper failed to use his Sharpenese when they heard Redclaw and Company; and Littlefoot says, “we’ll we better go see who it is.”

Ruby had a solid episode, pairing her with Ducky was good writing.

Chomper is a little OCD in this series, oppose to his calm demeanor in LBT V.

I didn’t mind the Sharpteeth being outwitted, I found it plausible that Ducky making her noise in the Caves of Voices distracted them. Plus ai like hiw Ducky took initiative and ran to cave to help the Gang escape.

@Goldenwind Thanks! I am loving the series. I feel I’ve missed a major part of LBT lore. :)

RainbowFaceProtege:
But Chomper might not be able to recognize the "voices" of most sharpteeth as easily as he can recognize his own parents' voices, so I wouldn't call that an inconsistency. When it comes to identifying voices, I imagine anyone would be able to identify their family faster than they'd identify someone else.

Although Chomper's personality is a bit different, it has been a while since we saw him last, so I just chalk that up to the fact that people change over time.
Yeah, I can overlook the distracted sharpteeth because we had a good Ducky-power moment there. :duckyhappy It was just something I couldn't help noticing.
Wait @Gentle Sharptooth are you saying you've never seen the whole TV show? :rhett_shocked

@Goldenwind Yeah, I'd kind of forgotten that brief explanation for Chomper and Ruby in the valley. I picked up something interesting on this rewatch, though: Ruby said something along the lines of "I'm glad your folks let us stay in the Secret Caverns, especially with Red Claw and his fast biters terrorizing the Mysterious Beyond." The word that jumped out at me was let. It's like some dinosaurs hadn't wanted to let Chomper and Ruby into the valley at all, with them being outsiders, but they eventually reached a compromise that had them staying in the caverns of the Great Wall, living not in the Mysterious Beyond but not necessarily in the valley, either. This would also explain why they have to find a cave to sleep in as opposed to sleeping in the open valley like everyone else.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version