The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rated E for everyone?

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Have you ever played a game and saw something in it that made you wonder how it got an E rating?

Rio multiplayer party game

In the Rio multiplayer party game if you look closely at the character selection screen you'll see the something the developers put in and got away with.

I've pointed it out for you

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

Earlier N64 versions have red blood in the shadow temple and at the end of the game when you kill Gannon. In later versions, Nintendo changed the blood to green.

Banjo kazooie

When you get bit by the piranhas in Bubblegloop swamp you'll see some blood.

Banjo Tooie

When you attack lord woo fak fak you'll see blood. Also in Hailfire peaks when the alien falls out of the ship you can see some yellow blood

Does anyone else know of some things developers got away with?

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
There is a classic Game Cube Game called Cubeavore and that game had blood and sex sexual material in it. And that got a E Rating,

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I actually rented that game once. Yeah, and it was kinda weird. Everything was made out of very little polygons, and as I remember it, you were supposed to bite and rip polygons off of the other animals to kill and eat them. I think the end of each level had some sort of mating in it to make the next generation of your little guy for the next level, but I don't remember how explicit it was. I played it several years ago for like a couple days, so I don't remember that much of it off the top of my head.

EDIT: Holy friholes. I didn't remember like that lol.

Let's Play - Cubivore - 2 - Mating
Let's Play - Cubivore - 2 - Mating
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah and that game got a E Rating. That is very messed up. A lot of games I've played said but had Teen material in it. Like blood and other minor stuff. Ocarina Of Time had a lot of blood in that game and is rating E. Killing some bad plants and other bad guys had blood coming out of them. So when a game said's it doesn't mean it's actually rating E. They just fool you into thinking that it is.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Cubivore was a pretty wierd game.

Banjo Tooie had a lot of adlt humor hidden under it's kiddy exterior.

Banjo kazooie nuts and bolts has this in it

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
I think most of these games are E but they add some Blood so the teenage people can also enjoy.

Nintendoofah64

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie85,Aug 3 2011 on  03:46 PM
I think most of these games are E but they add some Blood so the teenage people can also enjoy.
Or maybe ESRB didn't notice them

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah it could be that also. Some game designers like to add a bit of violence in the game.  And it's amazing it get's by ESRB. They should do a better background check on there games.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Check out this scene from The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw25oUpmaZY...ayer_detailpage

Yeah, this is definitely Rated E!  Nothing wrong here! </sarcasm>

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hum.. I might be the odd one out, but I never thought of blood as anything 'realistic' in such video games and did not pay attention to it as a child.

Saying that such things should not get an E-rating simply because of one picture that the child is most likely not even going to notice (in today's world, who will be able to watch television without seeing gore and violence at least once?)... Some adults here claim that the local santa, sinterklaas, cannot wear his cap with a cross on it, since that's religious and it's provocative towards children... What? I knew what a cross was when I was young, but it didn't make me Christian simply because I saw it on a hat..

So yeah, the fact that it gets an E rating while there's some blood in it, mostly in one or two frames, really doesn't bother me :P:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Censorship in games was an odd thing back in the day. Particular over in the UK where they used to rated under the same system as movies by the BBFC. Recently we made a switch to the PEGI (Pan European Game Information) system which wasn't "the law" until a few months ago.

Certain things can up a games certificate depending on its depiction and whether it's a main feature or not. Consider this, Perfect Dark for the N64 was given an 18 rating by the BBFC (equivalent to an M rating in the states) for violence, blood and language. Now, looking at the game, there is very little blood splatter, granted the violence is up there coz you are killing humans but it is in a fantasy setting and the strongest word that anyone says is "bitch" which is pretty tame by today's standards of curse words. Compare that to say COD4 which is rated 15 and that has more realistic graphically, more bloodshed, more coarse language and depicting battle scenarios that was very close to human affairs both past and present (at the time). Logic there somewhere?

I think generally if the is only the odd occasion of something bizarre or not exactly child-friendly in a game, it doesn't normally sway the certification that much. So that blood gushing from Banjo's neck is a glance over coz it's not a big feature of the game hence why it can remain within its E rating. Other stupid things like killing humans against killing say zombies or aliens, that again will sway the rating. Believe it or not, the colour depiction of blood can be the difference between an E and say a T or even and M). If it's red, the rating goes up, if it's any other colour, the rating is reduced. It then depends on how much is spilled and how it is portrayed on screen. That's why Zelda: OOT got away with a lesser rating. That being said, under today's rules, over here Zelda:OOT has gone from being unclassified in 1998 (i.e. suitable for all) to a PEGI "12" (teen). The way of the times I guess.

@ Nintendoofah64 - the red you see when you fall into the water in Bubblegloop isn't blood, it's the piranhas biting your feet. Or at least I'm sure that's how they would have explained it to the censors to keep the E rating. Again, it's all open to interpretation.

Also, I don't get the Rio snapshot. What's so bad about that? It is not just a band around the toucan's tail? I don't see anything wrong with that picture. Is it the positions they're in? Coz if that's the case, you can't openly say the developers did that on purpose. Again, interpretation. Could it be that you're reading into it a bit too much?