The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Halo(all)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Nov 14 2007 on  03:07 PM
This is reply is out of the blue, but I've never actually played "Halo", because it doesn't look like my kind of thing. Would someone mind telling me the basics of this series that I always hear all the X-Box fans raving about? What's the story of the plot? And is it really an "shoot 'em up" MMORPG that all the advertisements would have me believe it is? Reply or ignore this post as you see fit, as I hope not to interrupt any discussions here.
I've only played the first Halo. Haven't got a chance to play Halo 2 or Halo 3 yet, so I don't know exactly what the gameplay for those games are like, but I suspect it is not much different than the original.

The basis of the series, from what I can understand, is that the player controls Master Chief as he battles against the Covenant, an alliance of aliens led by the Prophets. The first game takes place on a ring-world called Halo (thus where the game got its name) which the Covenant want to control. The ring has some religious significance (sp?) with the Covenant.

Unlike Metroid Prime, the gameplay of Halo consists of largely just shooting and killing any Covenant that you come across while walking along. There is not much exploration in the game because there's usually only one way you can go, so it's hard to get lost.

So is it a "shoot 'em up game"? It would seem so, in my opinion, since the gameplay contains little true exploration (like what Metroid Prime has) and focuses more on killing as many aliens as possible. It still follows a plot at least, and I do enjoy playing it, and I still have fun with it. But in my opinion, the game doesn't have as much depth as Metroid Prime does.

Halo isn't a MMORPG, or are you referring to the Multiplayer section of the game?

If you ever decide to try Halo, I would recommend downloading the free trial version that you can find online so you don't end up wasting money on something you don't like.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
The Halo series is one of the best set of video games ever made. For those who are unaware, the Halo series is a first-person shooter known for three things, one for each game:

Halo 1 (combat evolved): This was the killer application for the Xbox; in other words, people bought the Xbox just to play this game, thus ensuring its success.

Halo 2: This game practically invented online play, and revolutionized the way multiplayer games were done; in doing this, Halo 2 ensured the success of Xbox live, the multiplayer gaming service that Microsoft set up. Halo 2 was also the highest-grossing entertainment release of all time, in its time, grossing over $125 million in the first 24 hours.

Halo 3: The only piece of entertainment media to make more money in its release than Halo 2, Halo 3 grossed over $170 million in the first 24 hours of its release in the U.S. alone.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Noname,Nov 15 2007 on  02:20 PM
Halo 2: This game practically invented online play, and revolutionized the way multiplayer games were done;
I thought Doom did this.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
Yes.  Because Doom was one of the first PC games to have online multiplayer.  Halo 2 took it further with Xbox live which allowed voice chat and other good stuff like that.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, Noname's statement was half right. Halo 2 didn't invent online play, but it did revolutionize it (I assume this, anyway, as I haven't played it).

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
Well.  It kind of did invent online play in the CONSOLE market.  Doom was what invented online deathmatching in general.  Actually, the Dreamcast was the first console to ever include online play, but Xbox Live made it popular.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Cyberlizard is right....the xbox console became a wide spread online option after Halo 2. I do remember playing doom on my Sega though...ahhh the memories!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I don't agree with Noname's statement at all, and I never will. "The Legend of Zelda" games will always be the best in my book. So, basically, "Halo" is mainly known for its technical aspect, but I've heard so little about its gameplay here.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Halo is one of the most widely discussed video game series I've ever came across. I hear as people say that it is the best series EVER than I do people that say it is the most overrated series ever. I can see that Noname falls into the former camp, and WeirdRaptor the latter.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I often wonder why people love Zelda so much. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I just don't get what's so great about it.

Now as for Halo being "overrated", I've heard people state that before, and I can't say I agree with them.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I never said I thought "Halo" was overrated. My observation was that it seems that the focus of the "Halo" qualities in reply to my post were mainly based on the technical aspect alone, not on the fun-factor, originality (or lack thereof, depending on the case), or the plot and themes of the series. Although that does tell me that it may not be for me. I hate games that focus mainly in technically advancing games while forgetting the fun-factor.

What's so special about "The Legend of Zelda", dark, is that we wouldn't have most of our current fantasy games without it, so don't speak illy of it whether or not you find anything special about it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Nov 19 2007 on  07:14 AM
I never said I thought "Halo" was overrated.
Of course not. I was just observing that I've heard people say that. ;)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Nov 19 2007 on  09:14 AM
What's so special about "The Legend of Zelda", dark, is that we wouldn't have most of our current fantasy games without it, so don't speak illy of it whether or not you find anything special about it.
I never spoke illy of Legend of Zelda. I only said I did not know what was so great about the game series. My post was not intended to offend.