The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Get or not?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, take a look at this:

http://link.marktplaats.nl/201095424

It's only 5 euros, about $10? Problem is, I probably can't do anything with it. I don't have a laserdisc player or know anyone with it. Second thing is is that it's pretty rare. So I'm wondering if I should get it or not?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Laserdisc never took off into the mainstream.  Unless you want to buy a player, there's no point in buying it, even if it is rare.  Its comparable to buying an LP of the soundtrack, yet you can't play it because you don't have a record player.  The value out of owning it just isn't there.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'd guess it's easier to get a dvd of the movie and to find a player to play it on then a laser-disc player.  I think also for their size they can only hold about an hour of video, like a vcd, but much larger.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
In case of collectibles it is sometimes nice just to have them even though it may not suit any useful purpose. I don't usually use those LBT character face rubber dices lying on one of my boards here, but I rather have them than not :p
Do you think it would make you happier to have that disk in your room rather then 5 Euros in your purse? Than buy it.
You think you would rather have the Euros (or whatever else may be obtained for them)? Then don't buy it.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I dont play video games, but I bought Return to the Great Valley for Playstation just because I might get the opportunity to try it out someday. Difference was, mine was on the 25 cents or less shelf at the flea market. Still, I say buy it.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
For the sake of having a collectable to add to your stash, I'd say go for it. But as Petrie said, if you're actually looking for a practical medium in which to obtain the movie, then don't bother. Laserdiscs weren't very popular and they're not particularly moving very fast now either  :DD So, for collection, YES...for usage... NO WAY!  :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Ah, to add to your collection, that is a totally different reason.  Like Malte said, would you rather have the laserdisc to add to your collection or the money?  & also is there room to add it to your collection?  Only you can answer those questions.